Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: MA Hockey Festival

“Experts”

Anon
Need to start by taking names off the eval sheets, have all the kids wear the same helmets and pants. Final 40 might look a little different. Also should post all of the evaluations so kids know what they need to work on in the eyes of the experts.
Agree. Would like to get some feedback. So as the weekend comes to an end who you got going through?

Feedback would be good..."you played well but you were wearing the wrong color pants"

anon
Anon
Need to start by taking names off the eval sheets, have all the kids wear the same helmets and pants. Final 40 might look a little different. Also should post all of the evaluations so kids know what they need to work on in the eyes of the experts.
Agree. Would like to get some feedback. So as the weekend comes to an end who you got going through?
Eagles, Terriers, Islanders, coaches kids and friends at the 03 level.

Will be interesting to see if these highly touted 03's become the players their parents have convinced them and others they will be. Connections, opportunity and early puberty will get them in the door, but at some point your game needs to mature to stay on the ice.

Yes, other than Hughes, they have a long way to go.

If Terriers coaches kid makes it MA Hockey is a sham, joke, complete waste of time!

Guaranteed to be more red pants that make it then should.

anon
If Terriers coaches kid makes it MA Hockey is a sham, joke, complete waste of time!
Had 2 Forwards on his team in the festival that were better and didn't make it to Top 40

Final 15 and goalies invites are in at 03....Legit? or you guys still think it's a joke?

Best of luck to this group...it is really as expected...

But it proves the old "if you are good enough, they will find you" completely false.

There were 10+ better kids in the group of 80 that were ignored because they were unknown and weren't wearing the right color pants.

I watched the first 2 games of each of the 03 teams, here are my notes:
White had 2 forwards that should have made the top 40 and didn't. #18 and #13
Orange had 2 that should have made it : #13 and #12
Black had 1 that should have made it: #9
Blue got it right

So I don't think they were that far off but I do believe these 5 were more deserving than some that were picked. What do I know, I have only been evaluating hockey players for 23 years. It was nice being able to catch these games during the USPHL showcase, kill 2 birds.

Good luck to all that participated in the Festival, Final 40 and moving onto Camp.

anon
White had 2 forwards that should have made the top 40 and didn\\\'t. #18 and #13
Blue got it right

So I don\\\'t think they were that far off but I do believe these 5 were more deserving than some that were picked. What do I know, I have only been evaluating hockey players for 23 years. It was nice being able to catch these games during the USPHL showcase, kill 2 birds.

Good luck to all that participated in the Festival, Final 40 and moving onto Camp.
What were your thoughts about the Defense? Thought there were at least two that stood out and should have been in the top 40, maybe final 5 if they actually cared about defensmen that can defend first, offense second. Just seems like there is this Krug effect going on in hockey.

Anon
anon
White had 2 forwards that should have made the top 40 and didn\\\\\\\'t. #18 and #13
Blue got it right

So I don\\\\\\\'t think they were that far off but I do believe these 5 were more deserving than some that were picked. What do I know, I have only been evaluating hockey players for 23 years. It was nice being able to catch these games during the USPHL showcase, kill 2 birds.

What were your thoughts about the Defense? Thought there were at least two that stood out and should have been in the top 40, maybe final 5 if they actually cared about defensmen that can defend first, offense second. Just seems like there is this Krug effect going on in hockey.
Agree with you 100%. Even in the USPHL the bigger stay at home defensive player is seen as a liability instead of a value.
As a forward scout I don't do much with D, but I know the guy that was sitting next to me was looking at D only (He was from the CHL) and he was saying it has changed for them also. Big D are being asked to play wing as a PF and the fast footed, puck carrying (not puck moving) D are what teams want. Its all about the Offense these days! I would have been out of job 30 years ago thats for sure.

anon
Anon
anon
White had 2 forwards that should have made the top 40 and didn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t. #18 and #13
Blue got it right

So I don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t think they were that far off but I do believe these 5 were more deserving than some that were picked. What do I know, I have only been evaluating hockey players for 23 years. It was nice being able to catch these games during the USPHL showcase, kill 2 birds.

Agree with you 100%. Even in the USPHL the bigger stay at home defensive player is seen as a liability instead of a value.
As a forward scout I don't do much with D, but I know the guy that was sitting next to me was looking at D only (He was from the CHL) and he was saying it has changed for them also. Big D are being asked to play wing as a PF and the fast footed, puck carrying (not puck moving) D are what teams want. Its all about the Offense these days! I would have been out of job 30 years ago thats for sure.
Lol... Amazing what the game has become, really feel for the goalies as the forwards seem to be getting bigger and stronger the D is getting smaller and weaker with the inability to move bodies from the front of the net. Everything is cyclical so hopefully comes back around. Was always taught defense wins championships!

Anon
Best of luck to this group...it is really as expected...

But it proves the old "if you are good enough, they will find you" completely false.

There were 10+ better kids in the group of 80 that were ignored because they were unknown and weren't wearing the right color pants.

Love the excuses...if the kid had a different color of pants he makes it.....how about the fact that if the kid stood out enough then he makes it. Instead he was probably in a pack of about 10-15 kids that are interchangeable and got selected for many different reasons. Maybe it was hockey IQ, or hustle, or skating ability. Its all subjective. Mass hockey is there to select the best players to represent Mass. They dont care what team kids play for. Deal with that fact.

13 of the 17 kids are from two teams. 16 of 17 are from three teams. The pant comment isn't completely unfair though every kid on the final list is deserving and can really play. Last time I checked there are tons of teams around here and some kids don't go to those three teams for a variety of reasons (playing time/the dreaded daddy coach, logistics, developed later when these teams were largely full...) and two of those three teams didn't exactly kill everyone they played this year. I think its a higher hurdle for certain players/everyone knows there are favors being done at these things. A handful of kids were shocking to see at the top 80 level and even at the top 40 level. Its a strong age group so it wasn't an easy task for these guys.

What possible reason would the Asst Coach at Harvard and other D1 Assistants have to put their reputation on the line, give up their weekends to assess the kids and then not pick the kids they thought had the best chance to succeed at the next level? PP took the job over because there were questions in the past about who was being sent. These guys want kids from this area to be selected into the NTDP program. That reflects well on their abilities to assess talent.
It is true that two club teams had 10 kids of the total, but those teams were number 1 and 2 in the state and have been attracting the best kids to their programs for the past five plus years because of their success.

ANON
What possible reason would the Asst Coach at Harvard and other D1 Assistants have to put their reputation on the line, give up their weekends to assess the kids and then not pick the kids they thought had the best chance to succeed at the next level? PP took the job over because there were questions in the past about who was being sent. These guys want kids from this area to be selected into the NTDP program. That reflects well on their abilities to assess talent.
It is true that two club teams had 10 kids of the total, but those teams were number 1 and 2 in the state and have been attracting the best kids to their programs for the past five plus years because of their success.
Shhhh....dont tell little Johnnys dad that the college coaches who do this for a living have a better gauge of talent he does. Players are selected by a panel of guys who all do this for a career - pretty safe bet they are choosing players based on ability.

Right...shhhh...there is no politics in MA hockey at all...

Anon
Right...shhhh...there is no politics in MA hockey at all...
This nonsense has been going on for decades. Only way to fight it is like in CT where kids have stopped showing up to evaluations.

ANON
+1

ANON
If they were so good at evaluating talent and their buddies who coach these kids all year were so great at developing them, please explain just ONE 02 skater even getting an invite to Michigan this past year? You MIGHT get one 03 as well...

Either they're sending the wrong kids and/or their buddies are doing a lousy job of developing them considering how many kids participate in Mass.

It's probably both. That and they're mostly doing favors for each other..

The 2003 group is the first group under PP's leadership of the program. Let's see how they do.
There are also 2 MA kids who were just picked for the NTDP 2002 team.

Anon
ANON
The 2003 group is the first group under PP\'s leadership of the program. Let\'s see how they do.
Not positive but I do believe that the 03 Eagles team did an "invite only" camp at Harvard last year and isn't that where PP coaches? Not saying that the kids are not good, just a bit of a strange coincidence when the majority of the players are from one team.
Do people realize how the system works? If Mass Hockey sends players that dont get selected/have a good showing for the NTDP camp the following numbers of players they can send is reduced - essentially penalizing Mass evaluators. There is a check and balances.

Does any of this really matter? Does your kid really want to leave home and move to Michigan? It was a good weekend of hockey but nobody should feel heartbroken if the didn't make it. I think the saying goes "Politics beats talent when talent doesn't have Politics" something like that. Although, I was very surprised that not 1 of coaches sons made it to camp. It is a strong 03 group being sent and I hope they do well.

anon
Does any of this really matter? Does your kid really want to leave home and move to Michigan? It was a good weekend of hockey but nobody should feel heartbroken if the didn't make it. I think the saying goes "Politics beats talent when talent doesn't have Politics" something like that. Although, I was very surprised that not 1 of coaches sons made it to camp. It is a strong 03 group being sent and I hope they do well.
If your kid doesnt have aspirations of moving out to Michigan and playing for the NTDP then why are you attending the Mass festival in the first place? The ultimate goal for all these state festivals is being selected to play for the NTDP.

anon
anon
Does any of this really matter? Does your kid really want to leave home and move to Michigan? It was a good weekend of hockey but nobody should feel heartbroken if the didn\'t make it. I think the saying goes \"Politics beats talent when talent doesn\'t have Politics\" something like that. Although, I was very surprised that not 1 of coaches sons made it to camp. It is a strong 03 group being sent and I hope they do well.
If your kid doesnt have aspirations of moving out to Michigan and playing for the NTDP then why are you attending the Mass festival in the first place? The ultimate goal for all these state festivals is being selected to play for the NTDP.
Did it to see where he stands among the mighty Eagles and Terriers, and apparently he is right there with them. It was a fun 2 weekends, period. Hate to tell you but you better start having some fun with all of this because its almost over.

anon
anon
Does any of this really matter? Does your kid really want to leave home and move to Michigan? It was a good weekend of hockey but nobody should feel heartbroken if the didn\'t make it. I think the saying goes \"Politics beats talent when talent doesn\'t have Politics\" something like that. Although, I was very surprised that not 1 of coaches sons made it to camp. It is a strong 03 group being sent and I hope they do well.
Come on man, you think there are that many kids that have a realistic shot at NTDP? Most of the kids and families know they aren't making it before they step on the ice. They are there to compete with the best and provide a medium for the evaluation of the 7 or 8 kids that have a legitimate shot.

ANON
The 2003 group is the first group under PP's leadership of the program. Let's see how they do.
One skater. And only one even got the invite from Buffalo. (goalies separate discussion)

Out of tens of thousand's 02's that starting playing organized hockey in Mass 10 years ago.

One kid.

This year it may be one yet again.

00's and 01's faired pretty well. But 02 and 03 will be a pretty big fail for Mass Hockey numbers wise.

Many people who see and watch those two ages groups, and yes the 04's coming up, believe the development of players and Mass Hockey in general needs an overhaul given how many resources, sheets available and dollars are generated each year for youth hockey in Mass.

Other regions are developing better players per capita. By a long shot. Why?

If you aren’t deemed “elite” by age 8, you never will be in our system. The problem is, at that age the best skaters ARE the best players. We don’t know how many kids with that god given hockey sense are left behind each year because their tools haven’t arrived yet. The kids with the tools are considered elite players even if they don’t have the tool box.

That same group grows up with all of the best coaching and makes connections with all the right people. Lose your “elite” status and you are all but screwed. That isn’t a system that fosters real hockey players with hockey sense.

As a State, we are producing a lot of GOOD hockey players that are great skaters, but we are not producing as many true elite players who have that sixth sense on the ice.

Just take a look at the selections this year...

anon
ANON
If they were so good at evaluating talent and their buddies who coach these kids all year were so great at developing them, please explain just ONE 02 skater even getting an invite to Michigan this past year? You MIGHT get one 03 as well...

Either they're sending the wrong kids and/or their buddies are doing a lousy job of developing them considering how many kids participate in Mass.

It's probably both. That and they're mostly doing favors for each other..
How about the FOUR 01 (actually 5 players as one MA player turned down spot) skaters on the NDTP the year before? Mass Hockey has sent 6 players (7 Mass players picked) to the NDTP over the last two years which is the second most in the country (NY had eight). What were you saying about developing? Facts hurt.

anon
Do you need to be a stud to make the festival at the 03 level? What caliber of players have you seen in years past? Curious if its worth the $65.00 to tryout.
If your kid is decent 03, its worth going, will at least make the festival and that's a fun experience, however is a bit watered down as many HS spring sports have games those weekends.

Is this the best ma hockey can offer? Disappointed to say the least. Hope there are some Diamonds in the ruff next weekend. Should have gone to lax instead.

HNIB/Festival a total embarrassment

What does HNIB have to do with the festival tryouts this weekend? Thought it was Mass hockey?

Anyone know the format of the tryout? Small area games or full scrimmage? Kid is starting to ask questions about this weekend just trying to calm the nerves.

When will the selections be posted

Today

03 and 01 levels look very strong

anon
01 is really deep. Even with four kids playing USDTP they still have some high end kids. Some very good players either did not make it or chose to not try out.

Anon
anon
01 is really deep. Even with four kids playing USDTP they still have some high end kids. Some very good players either did not make it or chose to not try out.
+1 01 Mass very strong.