High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Nepotism has its limits

anon
anon
The whining from hockey parents about how you can no longer control the outcome for your kids is so amusing.
You mean like this dillusional parent:

"Well, I\'m a parent of a HS Senior that will likely land at a D-III school after 1 - 2 years in Tier I or II Juniors, and I could\'t be happier for him that his hard work has led to those opportunities. And his passion for his dream has led to his gaining Honors grades. A true win/win!"....

If he is a high school senior and will need 1-2 years of juniors to maybe land at a D3 school the writing is on the wall. Save your $$$ instead of paying for juniors and put that in the education fund. Have your kid go to the best school he can and play club hockey.
Once again, you're demonstrating your ignorance about how American Juniors works. Now, you're showing you know little about how college hockey works, too.

And, we can add personal finance to that. If you're still putting considerable money away when your kid is a Senior, you're gonna be short. You had 18 years.

Anon
anon
anon
The whining from hockey parents about how you can no longer control the outcome for your kids is so amusing.

\"Well, I\\\'m a parent of a HS Senior that will likely land at a D-III school after 1 - 2 years in Tier I or II Juniors, and I could\\\'t be happier for him that his hard work has led to those opportunities. And his passion for his dream has led to his gaining Honors grades. A true win/win!\"....

If he is a high school senior and will need 1-2 years of juniors to maybe land at a D3 school the writing is on the wall. Save your \$\$\$ instead of paying for juniors and put that in the education fund. Have your kid go to the best school he can and play club hockey.
Once again, you're demonstrating your ignorance about how American Juniors works. Now, you're showing you know little about how college hockey works, too.

And, we can add personal finance to that. If you're still putting considerable money away when your kid is a Senior, you're gonna be short. You had 18 years.
My guess is the guy understands quite well how American juniors works for a kid who is grinding to make D-3. Its unlikely that they would be playing in the USHL or even the NAHL so they would, in all likelihood, be shelling out a lot of money. With D-3 giving no scholarship $$ all playing hockey does is help get you in. And if your kid needs help getting in to most D-3 schools he's spent way too much time playing hockey and should probably reconsider whether he's really cut out for college anyhow.

Anon
Anon
anon
anon

\\\"Well, I\\\\\\\'m a parent of a HS Senior that will likely land at a D-III school after 1 - 2 years in Tier I or II Juniors, and I could\\\\\\\'t be happier for him that his hard work has led to those opportunities. And his passion for his dream has led to his gaining Honors grades. A true win/win!\\\"....

If he is a high school senior and will need 1-2 years of juniors to maybe land at a D3 school the writing is on the wall. Save your \\\$\\\$\\\$ instead of paying for juniors and put that in the education fund. Have your kid go to the best school he can and play club hockey.
Once again, you\'re demonstrating your ignorance about how American Juniors works. Now, you\'re showing you know little about how college hockey works, too.

And, we can add personal finance to that. If you\'re still putting considerable money away when your kid is a Senior, you\'re gonna be short. You had 18 years.
My guess is the guy understands quite well how American juniors works for a kid who is grinding to make D-3. Its unlikely that they would be playing in the USHL or even the NAHL so they would, in all likelihood, be shelling out a lot of money. With D-3 giving no scholarship $$ all playing hockey does is help get you in. And if your kid needs help getting in to most D-3 schools he's spent way too much time playing hockey and should probably reconsider whether he's really cut out for college anyhow.
BINGO. There are kids playing in the USHL/NAHL that will be playing D3. If your kid was on the D3 top school radar at this point you would know and so would he. You are falling prey to the American Jr. Hockey "if you play for 2 years and spend $20,000 with us you will move onto college" which is an absolute deception on their part. If your kid is playing HS hockey as senior (unless at a top prep) he isnt playing D3 college hockey. Just the reality of it. This isnt 25 years ago when kids could walk on.

So your saying that a kid who has played HS hockey as a senior in Massachusetts has absolutely no chance to play D3 hockey-i can think of a number of examples the last 5-7 years that would refute your claim, including a number from the town that I live in which plays D2 HS (had been D3).

Anon
So your saying that a kid who has played HS hockey as a senior in Massachusetts has absolutely no chance to play D3 hockey-i can think of a number of examples the last 5-7 years that would refute your claim, including a number from the town that I live in which plays D2 HS (had been D3).
A kid who has played HS hockey as a senior in Massachusetts has absolutely every chance to play D3 hockey in college. Go and look at the top 8-10 D-1 high school teams and every team has at least 4-5 kids who can play D-3 college hockey at least. The difference is many don't want to go through with it. My son's team has had a few every year provided they go a year of juniors or a PG year but many opt to go to better schools and play D-1 or D-3 club hockey. I don't know but I've seen more than a few D-3 college games and to tell you the truth, it isn't 'all that.' To think it is a reach is completely a laugh.

I can't think of any other NCAA sport that routinely shelves players (go play juniors for a few) without burning eligibility the way hockey does. The only applicable example in other sports that I can quickly think of is JUCO for football, baseball, hockey and unless the rules have changed (which is always possible) the time a player is enrolled in JUCO starts his 5 year clock ticking. So at least in that regards, hockey is the worst.

Make commitments binding from both sides and put an upper age limit as to what a 4th year player can play at in college (23?). Away with the 13 year old 'commits' long before anyone knows if they can play, away with the repeat kids doing two years of juniors and showing up on campus as a bearded 21 year old, enough of 'committing' when it means nothing, away with spots being pulled at the last minute because a team over committed to kids...you sign them and you're on the hook for at least X% of 4 years of college...