Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prep School coach loves my kid

You will know how much the coach really loves your kid by how much financial aid you get...

Anon
You will know how much the coach really loves your kid by how much financial aid you get...
Myth. Most parents think they are going to get much more than they realistically will.

ISL schools are bound by requirement to give aid based on need. Yes, they all cheat, but they aren't going to be dumb about it.

And, non-ISL schools aren't going to shower money on somewhat above average players.

A buddy of mine's kid was a truly elite player. Top line as an 8th grader on a top ranked team. Went on to the NTDP and was a 1st rounder. He got a couple of grand towards $35K.

Think every school didn't want him?

my kid got a full ride

anon
my kid got a full ride
How ARE things over at the quarry today, Fred?

My buddies kid only had to pay 5K a year (to cover room & board) to play at an ISL school and between he and his wife they make well over 300K per year. I'd love to get access to that needs based formula tool.

Depends on the school and the size of their endowment as well as number of full pay families among many other variables. That income range you’re talking about is right in the wheelhouse of what some schools are looking for. Good income but not necessarily enough where they’d want to spend 20% of their combined income on high school. There are some deep pockets in these schools.

Good Founders league schools will pay for talent....

Anon
Good Founders league schools will pay for talent....
Shut up. You dunno

Just know what your in for. Schools want:
Diversity, kids who they feel they can “save”, strong grades, and full pay.
Unless your kid is true stud which there are 4-5 per year, you are looking at a minimum of 18k per year.
The average size, above average student and athlete from a blue collar family is getting 40-50k, but your still on the hook for 15-25k.
Study the ssat, play an instrument or sing, do something that makes your profile different then the other 800 kids applying. Good luck!