Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Marketing your player

Its about the product, price, placement and promotion... or just create another Twitter account same difference

anon
Too many kids fighting for the same spots, you need to be smart and market your kid more now than ever. Had a college coach tell me this morning that so many kids are good, but the ones that get their shot are the ones we hear about, so market my kid as much as possible over the next 2 years and he will have no problem playing college hockey or stay low key like we are now, and he will be lumped in with all the others.
What that college coach meant was that they hear about the very best players. Being just "good" gets you nothing. You can market your kid upside down all you want. Facts are facts...they need to be dominant in the best leagues at the 15, 16, 17 age levels.

Those are the kids they come to see. Those are the kids that get the $$$ and the looks. They are not coming to see your "good player" because you are a marketing wiz. And if you do fool them, and get them there with your marketing genius, they will leave after watching 3 shifts.

Don't get me wrong, my kids just "good", and that's fine with me. But I'm smart enough to be saving my "marketing budget" for college tuition.

#wakeup!

"...so many kids are good, but the ones that get their shot are the ones we hear about." 100% true. The old 'the cream always rises to the top' and 'if the kid is good they will find him' are so outdated and beyond stupid I hope I never hear it ever again in hockey circles.

I've been through it and this 'you have to market' is the new reality. Many times the coaches don't know if the kid 'loves, loves, loves' the game or he's just good at it. If they the kids are marketed the message is 'hey I want to keep playing past h.s..' Same with legacy kids, this is why they advance so often. The coaches and scouts pretty much know these kids are very committed to the family business unlike a kid who's dad is a surgeon or a lawyer. Go watch a good D-3 college game and go watch a good D-1 college game. Some differences in size, skill and speed that are noticeable but a first liner on most good college teams - baring obvious size and speed challenges most top-end D-3 kids can easily play 3rd line D-1. Today so many kids advance on their reputations & last name rather than any noticeable difference on the ice and they get their reputation by being on the right teams, playing alongside named players and shameless marketing; yes marketing.

Word that - "The old 'the cream always rises to the top' and 'if the kid is good they will find him' are so outdated and beyond stupid"

The problem is, many kids are now good. Many kids are very good due to the high level of training and competitive environment we have here in New England. I agree, I go watch the kids I hear about, not the ones waiting for me to see them.