Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: U16 USPHL Summer Showcase

Tides have turned. Real players not playing in this league anymore.

Anon
Tides have turned. Real players not playing in this league anymore.
So, where are they playing instead?

What happened over at the Kings? They used to be a good full season alternative to HS but now they are struggling to get talent...

anon
Soooooooo...first rodeo with this thing. From what I just heard, very weak competition with teams made up of players who don't really play regularly with the teams their on? But its free so that's a plus?
You say it's your first time in the tournament, but not if it's your kid's first year of midgets. My kid is now 18, and we look at midget showcases a little different than youth hockey tournaments.

If he's playing with at least some of his teammates this fall, then it's a chance for him to get to know some guys.

If he's playing for the coach of his team, it's a chance for them to get to know each other. Coaches at the higher levels are generally there, too, evaluating their program's players, since they have to be there, anyway, to coach their teams. Sometimes they're even on the bench.

And, if he's been working on his game, summer tournaments are a good chance to transfer skills practiced into his game.

We turn down a lot of tournament opportunities, because it really isn't necessary to play often, but he's looking forward to the ones he is in, and generally has a lot of fun.

Is there a schedule for this thing? It’s not even listed on the usphl website. Cancelled?

Anon
Is there a schedule for this thing? It’s not even listed on the usphl website. Cancelled?
Hmmmmm, you're right, there is normally a banner for Showcase events on the USPHL website. But the Summer Showcase isn't even in the drop down menu.

Not that it's a huge loss, these are not exactly must-do events. Plus it's the same weekend as Sr Chowder Cup and Battle of Boston, so maybe it just got crowded out.

Cancelled.

To answer the other question real players are playing Prep, Tier1 Elite or ECEL. USPHL went sideways last year and will continue to as they water down. Syracuse going bankrupt, Rockets owner going to jail and program folding, nobody wants to play for Kings, Bandits can’t field a team and Cyclones heading back to ECEL.

Other than that I think the league is doing well!

Anon
Cancelled.

To answer the other question real players are playing Prep, Tier1 Elite or ECEL. USPHL went sideways last year and will continue to as they water down. Syracuse going bankrupt, Rockets owner going to jail and program folding, nobody wants to play for Kings, Bandits can’t field a team and Cyclones heading back to ECEL.

You're such a fraud. You don't have an ax to grind, and yet you know every franchise's strategies?

And, again with the Rockets owner? Provide some documentation, please.

ECEL? Phew, what's that smell? Real model of stability there - three programs out, five in, including two from at least two time zones away and a team out of Ristuccia I've never even heard of. The ECEL is the T1EHL's homely sister that no one wants to date. Trust me, my kid did both, the levels of play aren't close. BA went 13-10-2 in T1EHL and 12-1-1 in ECEL. Please.

Get a clue Fed guy.

Clue about what?-ECEL was/is a joke of a league-there were two decent teams in U18 last year-BA and CT. The other teams were awful-Shamrocks? Come on.

It’s called being in tune with the hockey world buddy. Let me guess, you are new to Midget hockey and think the USPHL is still the bomb? The hockey adults are speaking so please just sit and listen, you may learn something...

Anon
Cancelled.

Schedule is out hot shot! Not cancelled

Where's the schedule?

Thanks

anon
Where's the schedule?

Thanks
I guess its not posted yet? Just received an email with our game times.

Exactly what is Showcase about this???

A few 02’s that can’t make Town varsity team playing against 03’s and 04’s???

Go gettum boys!

Anon
Exactly what is Showcase about this???

A few 02’s that can’t make Town varsity team playing against 03’s and 04’s???

Go gettum boys!
Apparently its so exclusive they don't want to put the schedule out or market it at all..lol

Does anyone know what teams are in this at the u16 level?

anon
Does anyone know what teams are in this at the u16 level?
The u16 division is stacked:
Charlestown Chiefs
Long Island Ducks
Syracuse Bulldogs
Peterborough Patriots
Lancaster Gears
Hyannisport Presidents
Broom County Blades

Its unacceptable to taunt the USPHL as a breading ground for NCAA Hockey, then say your having a "Showcase", then not even put the schedule up the week of the "Showcase". Dropped the ball on this one. I had to send the emailed schedule to 2 coaches who are asking about my son and cant tell them who we are playing because all I have are times..Real solid!

Agree that it is annoying that the schedule is not posted. Here is half of the U16 teams:

South Shore Kings
Islanders Navy
CJR #1
NY Aviators
Hartford Wolfpack
Jersey Shore Whalers
Islanders Baby Blue
Rochester Monarchs

Looks like CJR has a second team also. 16 total teams at U16.

First of all if your kid is playing USPH L he’s never going to get noticed and no, no one is going to watch him. Second, if your kid is playing USPHL he must not be that good or you’re an idiot for letting him. A few years ago sure, not now.

Anon
First of all if your kid is playing USPH L he’s never going to get noticed and no, no one is going to watch him. Second, if your kid is playing USPHL he must not be that good or you’re an idiot for letting him. A few years ago sure, not now.
You sound like a jealous b i t c h. Go about your business and let’s see what happens.

Anon
My son received 2 full D1 scholarship offers while playing USPHL.

Great point about if your kid plays in that league he won't get noticed! Spot on analysis good job.

Well, still haven't seen a schedule for this "showcase", is this how "showcases" work? I hear there is a U15 division also? Would love to come out an report on any of this but don't know when any team is playing.

anon
Well, still haven't seen a schedule for this "showcase", is this how "showcases" work? I hear there is a U15 division also? Would love to come out an report on any of this but don't know when any team is playing.
That's because it isn't really a "showcase." It's spring/summer practice. Very few if any of the teams have actually played together, and it shows in the ragged play.

But, since a lot of Midget and Junior kids don't skate as much as they should in the spring and summer, it's a chance to get them on the ice.

It's also a part of the extended tryout process, a way for Town HS kids to think they still have a shot, in exchange for another check.

Oh, and the league can collect another gate fee.

Now, if any of that surprises you, you must be new to Midget and Junior hockey. Because that's how it all works.

Doesn't mean it's not a good league for kids to develop in once the season starts.

Here is your schedule: https://www.usphl.com/schedule/day/league_instance/74620/2018/7/13?subseason=525092&referrer=4300628

Sure he did. Name? Birthyear? Offers from?

Right. Produce evidence or it didn’t happen jocko

Anon

I would be a complete and total fool for posting that here!

Instead you are just a liar. At best your kid is a 21 year old frosh at a low end D3 school if he played USPHL! Sorry he couldn’t make a NAHL or USHL team!

So where should a solid 15/16 year old forward play. If USPHL isn't the answer, then what is. We are going to be faced with this question next year. We are 1 hour 20 minutes from Marlboro, 1 hour from Hartford, CT..I cant seem to find any other options for full season other than the PICS and I hear its not that good. We would probably not get any FA at Prep so that is out of the question.

Anon
Instead you are just a liar. At best your kid is a 21 year old frosh at a low end D3 school if he played USPHL! Sorry he couldn’t make a NAHL or USHL team!
Not true in the least. He's on a roster for both leagues at the moment.

Nice work. You must be a detective or something.

Liar.

Anon

Played U16 Pics last year

Got offers but didn’t take them? Right....and he wasn’t asked to go to Michigan, or drafted in USHL or NAHL?

Come on man, get real....

Anon
Got offers but didn’t take them? Right....and he wasn’t asked to go to Michigan, or drafted in USHL or NAHL?

Yes not all offers are the right offers for your kid.

And he was drafted in the NAHL.

There are good players in all leagues, and some people just are too dumb to realize that. Yourself included.

anon
Anon

There are good players in all leagues, and some people just are too dumb to realize that. Yourself included.
Most here don't have that reality that you need to turn some offers down that aren't right for your kid.

Interesting. There were no Pics kids drafted in the NAHL this year. Nice try.

Anon
anon
Anon

Most here don't have that reality that you need to turn some offers down that aren't right for your kid.
Yes I know - we have been really lucky that he's got the skills, works hard, and was in fact noticed even though he plays such a god awful league (according to some)

But of course, I am just seen as a liar for realizing this

Solid display of little 04 8 graders, the 03’s who can’t make the cut to make it to Michigan this week and washed up 02’s....

Anon
Solid display of little 04 8 graders, the 03’s who can’t make the cut to make it to Michigan this week and washed up 02’s....

I would make a local team of 03's that "didnt make it" to play against those that did. I'll take my odds any day of the week. You take the "top" 20 and I'll make a list of the "others"

You think 16 year olds are washed up? There’s no development from 16 on? If an 03 at 15 can’t make it to the National Festival, they don’t make the cut? There’s no good players who are not National Festival invitees? So there’s only 10-15 or so quality players each in Mass, NE, NY, NJ/Eastern PA, just to name the neighboring USA Hockey Districts? If an 04 8th grader who doesn’t yet have SS, HS, CC or prep options can play with older players and is given the opportunity to do so, they shouldn’t? For all their ages, we’re still talking about kids. You should look up how much turnover there is from year to year in who is selected from the various districts to the USA Hockey Festival. Around 50%.

Anony
You think 16 year olds are washed up? There’s no development from 16 on? If an 03 at 15 can’t make it to the National Festival, they don’t make the cut? There’s no good players who are not National Festival invitees? So there’s only 10-15 or so quality players each in Mass, NE, NY, NJ/Eastern PA, just to name the neighboring USA Hockey Districts? If an 04 8th grader who doesn’t yet have SS, HS, CC or prep options can play with older players and is given the opportunity to do so, they shouldn’t? For all their ages, we’re still talking about kids. You should look up how much turnover there is from year to year in who is selected from the various districts to the USA Hockey Festival. Around 50%.
Great point.. you beat me to it. Cheers!