Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A good coach

Question I have regardong high school is if they don’t develop during the season, and most good half season teams don’t even practice, or at most once a week with mostly games, isn’t it natural that development deteriorates through their high school experience, even at the prep level? Maybe it doesn’t deteriorate but maybe just doesn’t happen as much as it possibly could?

Anon
Question I have regardong high school is if they don’t develop during the season, and most good half season teams don’t even practice, or at most once a week with mostly games, isn’t it natural that development deteriorates through their high school experience, even at the prep level? Maybe it doesn’t deteriorate but maybe just doesn’t happen as much as it possibly could?

That's a big reason why high school hockey has deteriorated in the area in the last few years.

Even the Catholics are not even close to what they used to be. Kids have moved on to full season programs that will at least attempt to make them better.

anon
Anon

That's a big reason why high school hockey has deteriorated in the area in the last few years.

Even the Catholics are not even close to what they used to be. Kids have moved on to full season programs that will at least attempt to make them better.
Prep is deteriorating, too. Yes, they still get the best players capable of carrying teams, and the pool is much larger than NE now, but what used to set Prep apart was the depth - they could roll the lines because they had the talent. Now, much like Publics before, it's 2 lines of forwards and D, with the other players getting spotted.

Why be a third/fourth liner at a Prep if you can be Top 6/Top Pair on a FS team and develop more?

anon
anon
Anon

That\'s a big reason why high school hockey has deteriorated in the area in the last few years.

Prep is deteriorating, too. Yes, they still get the best players capable of carrying teams, and the pool is much larger than NE now, but what used to set Prep apart was the depth - they could roll the lines because they had the talent. Now, much like Publics before, it's 2 lines of forwards and D, with the other players getting spotted.

Why be a third/fourth liner at a Prep if you can be Top 6/Top Pair on a FS team and develop more?
This is a valid argument and good discussion for a small percentage of the people reading this board. But the real question is: developing for what? If the answer is to stay on the top line at your HS, then do some extra skating and hit the weight room and you'll be fine. If college hockey is your goal, then fine look elsewhere, but that's a very small percentage of kids. The numbers fleeing for prep or FS are much higher than the numbers advancing to college hockey, and you have to ask yourself if that is the best thing for the kids, all things considered. Or is it just the next arms race after you graduate from EHF Elite?

I’ll answer it for my kid. To get as good as he can. Wants to try and play college, but it’s not the end all be all for him. He just like to play at the highest level possible and didn’t like the HS goon hockey for the 1 year he played so went another route. Has more fun when being pushed. I hate the travel but he enjoys it so why not.

Underclassmen preps are usually better. By the time their senior year comes around, if still lingering around the prep school, FS kids are usually caught up to them. Just my observation.

Great discussion without anyone telling a parent they are wrong for whatever choice they make. For our family it came down to this, only prep's interested in my son going into his freshman year were weaker schools and the financial aid offers weren't enough to convince us paying thousands extra was going to pay dividends. Our thoughts would probably be different if a strong academic ISL school or two was talking to us. Together, we looked at a few FS options but nothing seemed like a great fit. My son really drove the decision which was, play on a decent 1/2 season team, tryout for the HS team and work his butt off in offseason and see what opens up in a few years (repeat Jr year perhaps). He really enjoyed playing again with friends, fans in the stands, etc. Based upon his experience last season, he fully understands that 90% of his development is now based upon what he does in the off season. If it works out for him, great, if not, there are worse things than playing four years of a varsity sport for your local HS.

We know plenty of families making different choices, they aren't right or wrong, just not right for my son and our family. We all are simply doing what we believe is best for our kids development as both a player and person. I just hope parents understand that like youth level, more programs are putting FS teams together which will ultimately water down FS. (Although I imagine those kids playing U16 Futures will still get more development than HS.)

anon
Great discussion without anyone telling a parent they are wrong for whatever choice they make. For our family it came down to this, only prep's interested in my son going into his freshman year were weaker schools and the financial aid offers weren't enough to convince us paying thousands extra was going to pay dividends. Our thoughts would probably be different if a strong academic ISL school or two was talking to us. Together, we looked at a few FS options but nothing seemed like a great fit. My son really drove the decision which was, play on a decent 1/2 season team, tryout for the HS team and work his butt off in offseason and see what opens up in a few years (repeat Jr year perhaps). He really enjoyed playing again with friends, fans in the stands, etc. Based upon his experience last season, he fully understands that 90% of his development is now based upon what he does in the off season. If it works out for him, great, if not, there are worse things than playing four years of a varsity sport for your local HS.

We know plenty of families making different choices, they aren't right or wrong, just not right for my son and our family. We all are simply doing what we believe is best for our kids development as both a player and person. I just hope parents understand that like youth level, more programs are putting FS teams together which will ultimately water down FS. (Although I imagine those kids playing U16 Futures will still get more development than HS.)
Who do you think you are coming on this board with a well thought out post that makes perfect sense!! You are hereby suspended. Best wishes for your son.

Similar situation to above guy but we went FS. Expensive and a big commitment, but, and a big but...much better development in our situation. They skate a lot, lots of off-ice workouts, coach runs it like a college team, and seeing the development in my son. He played in a tournament with his high school buddies over the summer and there is quite a difference between him and kids that were better than him a year and a half ago. Stride, speed, skill and brains. Seems like some older HS kids flatline or simply lose the desire. So far my son’s decision is a good one.

Find the right coach and a program that is committed to your kid (practicing 4 days a week) to really get the ice they need and you getting your money’s worth.

Dboard cop
anon

Who do you think you are coming on this board with a well thought out post that makes perfect sense!! You are hereby suspended. Best wishes for your son.
Thanks for the compliment, although I do miss the old dBoard. Hockey has already given more to our family than I could have possibly imagined...life-long friends, a great relationship with my boys, and some amazing memories. Four boys, the youngest is now 12 so it's almost over for our family. I will miss it greatly when it ends but it's been worth every mile of driving, every check written, and every hour in the freezing cold rinks to this point. (even the few trips to the hospital)

As for my son discussed in the post, I have zero expectations that he'll play beyond high school and sincerely doubt he'll develop enough to even move to the next level of HS hockey. That's not why he started to play the game so I can't be disappointed at the final destination. He's a straight A student and loving the HS experience and that's all I could ask for. From the first day of school in the cafeteria where he got called over to eat lunch with the upperclassman to feeling like a BMOC getting dismissed from class to get on the varsity bus during the season, it's been fun for him. He's lucky, the team has some great young men on it and the captains really looked out for him last year. I fully comprehend that development is being sacrificed but I fully support his decision and I think he made the right one for him. Yes public HS hockey can be really bad but for some kids it's about more than just the game. For those kids and families that want more, God bless you, I'm sure you are making the right decision and I hope your player achieves their goals.

Love this guy.

So your story doesn’t add up. He’s 12 and is in high school and eating lunch with upperclassman?

Anon
So your story doesn’t add up. He’s 12 and is in high school and eating lunch with upperclassman?
Yet another D Boarder Dad that fails the basic literacy test.

Two kids dips#it.

Anon
Sorry that something got lost in translation for you. Rather than insult you, as I'm sure you just read it quickly, I'll simply point out I stated I have four boys. Since I didn't post their ages, I will now, they range from age 20-12 & I was simply lamenting the fact that my families time with hockey is nearing its end. Specifically the post was referring to my 3rd son, who was a 14 year old freshman last season & the decisions he & our family faced.

Hopefully this clears up any misunderstandings for you.

The dBoard will now return to it's regularly scheduled programing.

Sorry your kid plays for a crappy town HS program

Anon
Sorry your kid plays for a crappy town HS program
I don't know man, I have a feeling the kid will be successful *and* he won't hate his dad when it's all over. Can you say the same?

anon
Dboard cop
anon
Great discussion without anyone telling a parent they are wrong for whatever choice they make. For our family it came down to this, only prep\'s interested in my son going into his freshman year were weaker schools and the financial aid offers weren\'t enough to convince us paying thousands extra was going to pay dividends. Our thoughts would probably be different if a strong academic ISL school or two was talking to us. Together, we looked at a few FS options but nothing seemed like a great fit. My son really drove the decision which was, play on a decent 1/2 season team, tryout for the HS team and work his butt off in offseason and see what opens up in a few years (repeat Jr year perhaps). He really enjoyed playing again with friends, fans in the stands, etc. Based upon his experience last season, he fully understands that 90% of his development is now based upon what he does in the off season. If it works out for him, great, if not, there are worse things than playing four years of a varsity sport for your local HS.

We know plenty of families making different choices, they aren\'t right or wrong, just not right for my son and our family. We all are simply doing what we believe is best for our kids development as both a player and person. I just hope parents understand that like youth level, more programs are putting FS teams together which will ultimately water down FS. (Although I imagine those kids playing U16 Futures will still get more development than HS.)
Thanks for the compliment, although I do miss the old dBoard. Hockey has already given more to our family than I could have possibly imagined...life-long friends, a great relationship with my boys, and some amazing memories. Four boys, the youngest is now 12 so it's almost over for our family. I will miss it greatly when it ends but it's been worth every mile of driving, every check written, and every hour in the freezing cold rinks to this point. (even the few trips to the hospital)

As for my son discussed in the post, I have zero expectations that he'll play beyond high school and sincerely doubt he'll develop enough to even move to the next level of HS hockey. That's not why he started to play the game so I can't be disappointed at the final destination. He's a straight A student and loving the HS experience and that's all I could ask for. From the first day of school in the cafeteria where he got called over to eat lunch with the upperclassman to feeling like a BMOC getting dismissed from class to get on the varsity bus during the season, it's been fun for him. He's lucky, the team has some great young men on it and the captains really looked out for him last year. I fully comprehend that development is being sacrificed but I fully support his decision and I think he made the right one for him. Yes public HS hockey can be really bad but for some kids it's about more than just the game. For those kids and families that want more, God bless you, I'm sure you are making the right decision and I hope your player achieves their goals.
I have a son the same age, in the same situation. He's been middle to top third of his "elite" team the whole way through, but he's staying put at a CC school instead of pursuing prep or FS. I can tell you that it is not easy to avoid getting caught up in the prep school vortex or chasing FS opportunities that bill themselves as the ultimate in player development. It really feels like a similar chase as the EHF Elite thing at the youth level, only much higher stakes. But my kid loves his school and does really well there, and he's probably not a college prospect (definitely not a blue chipper), so he's staying put. Good to hear from someone else that is doing the same and feels good about their decision.

Your kid loves his high school, is doing really well there, and is playing hockey. Job well done.