Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: USPHL Schedule

Everyone thinks playing up makes you better...if you can't compete (size, speed, game sense) playing up how are you getting better.

Not a great situation for the 02's on these teams either...

With SKS basically coming to Mount and them playing in T1EL and ECEL, put a fork in the USPHL. All good local players will fight for spots there.

RI hockey also officially dead next season as well.

The SKS coaches went to Mount, not the players. SKS is loaded at all ages. USPHL will be fine.

Kings picked up some strong 03's from the Terriers & Kings and kept many of the good 02's from last season.

They will hold their own locally.

Every U16 team lost some strong 01's as they moved up the ladder so the same can be said about most teams. So every team lost talent, it evens out. There will be some great games and some not so great games but that's how it is at most levels.
Ma HS Public/Cath hockey is going down fast just go watch a game.

Out here in the western part of the state HS hockey is where you go to play if your looking to retire. Pope has even lost its luster.
Have to travel to Jr Bruins or pay up to be play prep, if not your done.

Anon
Out here in the western part of the state HS hockey is where you go to play if your looking to retire. Pope has even lost its luster.
Have to travel to Jr Bruins or pay up to be play prep, if not your done.
Dont you have the PICS down your way? They were very good last season, may have lost some 01's but still a good option or no?

August 17th and still no schedule for U15,U16,U18...WTF?:grimacing:

Probably has nothing to do with the fact 3/4 teams have like 10 players on their rosters?

Those Bandits, Potomac Patriots, Maine Moose, Wolfpack, Nighthawks, Philly HC? are all world beaters!

Give me a break people. Have a great season!

Schedules have gone out to a number of the teams. Check with your coach. Still a couple of open dates, so probably why not online yet. With the USPHL National Division having all the top teams play against each more frequently, coupled with the BJB, Beantown, Yale Jamboree, and other showcases, schedule strength is much improved.

It helps but league still sucks

Repeat after me...no one with any talent cares about the USPHL...No one !!!

Where do all the haters suggest these kids play? This is my sons first year in the USPHL, plan on only doing a year =before prep, but this seems like a good fit for a year.

anon
Where do all the haters suggest these kids play? This is my sons first year in the USPHL, plan on only doing a year =before prep, but this seems like a good fit for a year.
Have you talked to any prep coaches yet? Did they come to you or did you go to them? Where did they suggest you play this year? Have they talked to you about an entry year for your kid?

Anon
anon
Have you talked to any prep coaches yet? Did they come to you or did you go to them? Where did they suggest you play this year? Have they talked to you about an entry year for your kid?
In order:
1. Yes, 3 coaches ( Avon, Deerfield, Loomis)
2. 2 came to us, we went to 1
3. They suggested we enroll at their school in Late July but we decide to do a year of USPHL. They were fine with it, enrolling next year.
4. He will be repeating 10th grade

Also spoke to Orr Group and they are on the same page. USPHL may not be a long term solution but seems to fill a void needed.

anon
This poster has made a very important point. Say what you want, the USPHL fills a need. I certainly don’t look at the USPHL through rose colored lenses, but neither is it the punching bag a vocal minority on the DBoard make it out to be, particularly for the top USPHL teams.

What we're really talking is FS vs. SS/prep/CC/HS teams. NE hockey has been built around the SS/prep/CC/HS model. An abundance of FS teams as a viable option is a relatively new development, and the USPHL has been the leader in that, particularly in having teams in multiple different areas that make them more accessible to a greater number of players. There are limited other FS options. BA is in Hingham, not convenient for many, and requires extensive travel. Going to an AYHL team is also extensive travel and not realistic for practice. And it's not particularly realistic to pick up and move to the Midwest.

For all the reasons that have been discussed at length, HS and even CC is not what it used to be. Not everyone is ready for or can afford prep, and prep really drops off after the powerhouse schools. FS provides a legitimate option for many. As an example, for the above poster, it's a good stop on the way to prep.

So what are the realistic alternatives? Playing HS/CC or prep is really a different structure than FS with only SS crossover. Even prep and HS/CC don't play each other during the school season. So what does the SS look for each? Let's include FS teams, because FS teams obviously are playing during the SS as well, and FS and SS frequently play each other then. Let's look at some U16 options for the top divisions in each league in the Northeast:

U16 USPHL EHF Selects Tier I Elite
Eastern Mass Senators U16
Cape Cod Whalers U16
Boston Jr. Eagles U16
Top Gun/NE Fall Prep U16
Mid Fairfield Jr. Rangers U16
Little Bruins

U16 E9 Prep Showcase
BA
Valley Jr. Warriors
NH Avalanche
Yale
Springfield Rifles
River Rats
Wizards
95 Giants

U16 USPHL National and Affiliates
Palmyra Black Knights
Jersey Hitmen
Islanders Hockey Club
South Shore Kings
Skipjacks Hockey Club
New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs
PAL Junior Islanders
Newbridge Academy
Selects Academy at South Kent
Florida Junior Blades
Virtua Hockey Club

U16 AYHL Premier
Elite Hockey
Long Island Royals
Mercer Chiefs
New Jersey Colonials
New Jersey Devils Youth
New Jersey Jr. Titans
North Jersey Avalanche
Philadelphia Junior Flyers
Team Maryland
Valley Forge Minutemen
Virtua Hockey
Washington Little Capitals

U16 ECEL
95 Giants
BA
Hill Academy
Elite Hockey Program
NH Avalanche
Seacoast Spartans
Renegades
Colorado Rampage
East Coast Spartans
Mount Academy

All of these leagues have great variation from top to bottom. And the teams in each league only play each other so many times. Most of the games for these teams come from going to showcases and other tournaments. Significantly, many of the teams from all these leagues will be at the big showcases: BJB Shootout, Yale Jamboree, Beantown, Beast Showcases, NE, Mass and Atlantic District tournaments, etc. Many will take a trip to Detroit, Chicago, etc.

The point is that teams don't just play the teams in their league. They play teams from all the other leagues, and many strong teams from the Midwest and Canada that come to Mass in the fall for these events because there are so many college scouts. So, regardless of your league, you are most likely playing a wide variety of teams from many different leagues. The whole your league stinks argument just doesn't make a lot of sense from this perspective.

So, here's a question: how would you rank each of these leagues? I don't think there's a clear answer, and I could see multiple different valid rankings, especially depending upon the criteria.

Good post, but long.

Responding to last 2 posters.

If 03 or big, good 04, then yes, USPHL u16 a good 1 year option. If an 02, forget about it. No chance at heading to prep after this year. Enjoy the local weak talent and the last year or two of your son’s hockey experience. If playing USPHL at u18 level then you are just a sucker...T1EL, NAPHL or even ECEL has better record of promoting players. Travel stinks but at u16 if you are not headed to Midwest a few times a year you are not getting the best return on your tuition. Anyone can stay local and thump the USPHL teams. Unfortunately even the Syracuse and Rochester teams now stink losing all talent to Rochester Coalition, Regals and Jr Sabres.

Locally, mostly leagues equal. Key is:

1. Ice time - amount, access to, # practices, skills, off-ice, # games (70+) and # lines on team
2. Coaching
3. Out of league games/tourneys against national talent pool
4. Exposure
5. Org connections and validation by hockey world

There are 3 FS orgs locally that are truly connected. Lovell being #1, Jr Bruins #2, Islanders were #3. Kings used to be in mix but haven’t been in last few years since SH left. The #3 spot will probably be up for the grabs as it is well known in the coaching community at the college ranks that they are basically boycotting RG with this USPHL separation from USA hockey and him forcing the Merrimack coach out. Plus, he’s a donkey and arrogant to deal with so very much on the outside per most college coaches. If you want your kid to play local college hockey, run from him as he will not get a real look anymore because of RG, especially at Merrimack.

Good comments, very insightful and accurate. I suspect that there will be some 02’s playing USPHL who go prep after this season, just as there were a number of 01’s who went prep after last season. Probably more 03’s (and maybe even 04’s) than 02’s as a percentage who go prep after this season.

None on the local teams

2 Weeks before start of season and no schedules for U18 or U16 Teams.. hows your season planning going? Suckers.

Anon
2 Weeks before start of season and no schedules for U18 or U16 Teams.. hows your season planning going? Suckers.
Sorry the U18, U16, U15 Divisions got cut

Anon
Midgets isn't youth hockey, looks like you haven't made the leap yet. We have our schedule, but through the team. If I were you, I'd complain to the GM that you don't have yours. He'll appreciate hearing from you.

Season planning? Take it week to week, game to game or you'll drive yourself crazy.

anon
Anon
Midgets isn\'t youth hockey, looks like you haven\'t made the leap yet. We have our schedule, but through the team. If I were you, I\'d complain to the GM that you don\'t have yours. He\'ll appreciate hearing from you.

Season planning? Take it week to week, game to game or you\'ll drive yourself crazy.
Well, second year Midget in another league and we had our U15, U16 schedules 2 weeks ago. 25 minute longer drive than USPHL team but well worth it.
Midgets still need rides to practice and games and when you travel for work it helps knowing what the next few months is going to be like. Get it?

I get the guy saying "1 day at a time, its not youth hockey" but if they posted the NCDC, Premiere an Elite schedules already I too would be a little annoyed at no U18, U16, U15 schedules posted.

Sorry your kid plays in the USPHL in the first place

Anon
Sorry your kid plays in the USPHL in the first place
What about the second place..are you sorry in the second place?

Another day and still no schedule. Hey, maybe your coach can set-up some scrimmages with all the other teams with no schedule. Sorry your league cut everyone. In all seriousness, I would be very concerned that everyone is saying "The league is just finalizing a few things" like how many teams don't have enough kids to make a team.

anon
Another day and still no schedule. Hey, maybe your coach can set-up some scrimmages with all the other teams with no schedule. Sorry your league cut everyone. In all seriousness, I would be very concerned that everyone is saying "The league is just finalizing a few things" like how many teams don't have enough kids to make a team.
I checked the 16U Jr Bruins schedule, because it's online. Labor Day tournament, Jay Peak tournament, off, BJB Shootout. That's like, at least 12 - 15 games and could be 18+ games in 24 days. Plus 10 practices. Oh, and school. And a life.

First league game could be in October. So, what's the rush?