email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Why D-I?

Anon
Outside of HYP, NESCAC is actually harder to get into than D-1 as a hockey player. Unlike D-1, NESCAC schools don't have a lot of leeway with respect to grades and test scores (e.g., you can waltz into BC with a 2.3 in high school as a hockey recruit, NESCAC schools would laugh).
True from what I have been told. As a second tier student, athletics will help you get into a nescac school. Second tier being top 30-40% of graduating class. Student athletes that would unlikely to be accepted without being exceptional at his/her sport but still a decent student

Anon
Anon
Outside of HYP, NESCAC is actually harder to get into than D-1 as a hockey player. Unlike D-1, NESCAC schools don\'t have a lot of leeway with respect to grades and test scores (e.g., you can waltz into BC with a 2.3 in high school as a hockey recruit, NESCAC schools would laugh).
True from what I have been told. As a second tier student, athletics will help you get into a nescac school. Second tier being top 30-40% of graduating class. Student athletes that would unlikely to be accepted without being exceptional at his/her sport but still a decent student
I think the appropriate question is not why DI, but why hockey? There are only about 160 NCAA schools that offer varsity hockey, and only about 60 of those schools offer any sort of money. In addition, your kid is going to have to fend off a hoard of Canadians and Europeans for any of those spots, whether it’s DI-DIII. If you wanted your kid to go to college like Pomona, Davidson or any other top institution in the country that don’t offer hockey, and he wants to play a sport, then you’ve pretty much screwed him over if you’ve forced him to go all in on hockey. Football has about 800 colleges that offer variety teams at 80 plus kids per team. Soccer and baseball each have upwards of a 1000 NCAA varsity teams. Swimming,Tennis, Lacrosse, Track & Field...it’s s big world out there and there are a lot of great colleges in it. Unfortunately for the hockey first, last and only crowd, hockey is only an option at a few of them.

College Hockey Inc data shows 113 NCAA D-1 players were on 60 rosters in 2016-2017. Those players are spread out over at least 6 birth years (e.g. this year 1995-2000), so on average there are 20 D-1 players from MA for a given birth year and each team has 27 rosters spots for 18 scholarships. Every kid should pursue their dream but parents should have the data to weigh in on their kids hockey career and decide whether (and how long) they defer college enrollment) chasing a D-1 full/partial scholarship (or D-III roster spot). Link shows some useful data to help do that.
https://cdn1.sportngin.com/attachments/document/0123/2635/Hockey_Scholarships___Chances_of_Playing_College_Hockey.pdf

anon
anon
I took my son to an NCCA tournament game in 2015 - winner went to Frozen 4. He left there and said \"I want that to be me some day\" as his dream. Everything he has done since has been done to try to get to that level. Took him to some D3 games that just didn\'t have the same effect. NESCAC schools are great - some other D3 schools are great also. I just don\'t think a kid lying in bed at night is dreaming of winning the NESCAC, but they sure are dreaming about a Hockey East Title / NCAA birth, etc.
Great story.

I can relate. I once flew private back and forth to Kauai for 2 weeks and stayed in a 20 million dollar home with a cook and housekeepers when I was in college. I remember saying, that's how I want to live when I am older. I studied hard and worked towards a masters as well. I consider myself fairly successful.

(I don't fly private)

But if private was offered to you and was an option, you'd fly private right??

The kid I am talking about has received offers and is pursuing it as he should be.