Visit The DBoard Online Store - https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coaches mailing it in....

Never posted before so be kind. U16 1/2 season team, same coach for a few years now. Typical daddy coach. Has a kid on team who’s not good and coaches because of him. Same group of kids for the most part which is good and bad I guess. Played college, nice guy. Knows game, but doesn’t really teach it. Lots of “outwork the other team” stuff...not much in way of system, skills or details of the game, practices ok, but noticing trend of no shows, same drills, reduced tempo...kids comfortable with this....He’s a big boater so does nothing in the summer and has the league games and 1 tourney for us totaling like 15 or 16 games in fall.

Will it be bad to have my kid skate with another team to grab an extra practice and games? He will probably miss a couple practices and games to accommodate the other team’s schedule.

Don’t want to burn a bridge but my son and I feel he needs more to prep for his HS season.

Re: Coaches mailing it in....

Interesting post and it is a clear example of why it's so important to pay attention to coaches. Obviously you and your player want more from the coach/program than what they offer and I'm guessing you knew this before you signed up for another season. Don't make that mistake next season, find the coach & program that fits. Now, for this season, is there anything wrong with skating with another program, my general opinion is no. That assumes the other program isn't in the same league.

There are a bunch of caveats that exist within this reply, like is he going to be fully rostered on both teams or just an alternate on the new team but I don't want to publish a book. I will leave you with this, missing time to play with another program is going to burn the bridge so if he's only an alternate with the new team, make the original team the priority & minimize the absences. Nothing worse than burning the bridge in the first few weeks of September and realizing your player is not getting called to dress from the new team and getting very little game ice with the old team. It will make for a very long fall season.

Jesus, we may be on the same team? Last year we had two people leave mid season for same reason, more defections this year. Simple. Go. From what you described, you need a new situation. Get away from the door openers ASAP. Unless the kid is happy and complacent and you won’t leave the team short handed, go to other team as full time player and make whatever practices and games you can for current team. A new environment at this age would probably be great for the kid. Just make sure to be up front and honest with the coach.

Parting thought. NO, I mean NO Dad should be coaching beyond u14. Don’t care who they are.

Be smarter moving forward fella.....

Our coach on his boat this weekend as well. Every midget hockey player in New England is playing this weekend except our team