Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: When to jump to Prep

Here's one that makes me laugh. Locale prep school that pulls in some of the better local high school hockey players and without exception every hockey player repeated a grade there. Two kids this year moved over to the prep school and both were pretty much the bottom 20% of their respective classes. One was a gender-bender theater boy and the other plays baseball and guess what? Neither was asked to repeat a grade. Hmmm, are the hockey coaches that good at assessing a kid's academic ability or what?

anon
anon
OP here, we have scheduled 4 school visits for next month and luckily each coach knew of him when we talked, I'm hoping that's a plus? We are excited and nervous for the application process because ultimately it will come down to the money.
Meaning, you are interested in giving your child the advantages of a Prep School education, but only if it isn't inconvenient?

I know lots of families that forego vacations, new cars, etc. to make up the difference between cost and what aid provides. Mostly non-athletes, which is interesting. It seems parents of athletes expect to be able to ride their kids' backs.

No pressure, son!
Meaning, as long as we can afford it without turning a family of 5 completely upside down, then yes!

My advice...

If your kid was good enough to play at ISL level you would know by know. I don't say that to be mean, just realty.

Best model is...

9th grade and 10th grade at a Catholic Prep School

then - YOU will know how good your player is and you can either stay or if they are very good

Go to ISL school and repeat 10th grade.

Gives you options.

anon
My advice...

If your kid was good enough to play at ISL level you would know by know. I don't say that to be mean, just realty.

Best model is...

9th grade and 10th grade at a Catholic Prep School

then - YOU will know how good your player is and you can either stay or if they are very good

Go to ISL school and repeat 10th grade.

Gives you options.

I know of 3 players from our D-I HS teams who have gone on to prep, both ISL and non ISL and their parents marketed the heck out of them to coaches during their junior seasons. As parents, unless you have a background in scouting, you are probably the worst judges of talent.

If you are making this on a hockey decision, let him be successful where he is and then "attempt" to jump to USHL or NAHL. Prep does not guarantee anything when it comes to hockey, however, he will get an amazing experience and education, that can't be disputed.