email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prep

Big Leagues
I know you 03 parents are new to this whole prep thing and you've been telling your superstars how great they are for years, but I'm going to let you down easy.

The chances of any of your little "McDavid's" making a difference or a significant impact as first year players in prep this year is slim to none. Ok there might be 2-3 guys TOTAL in the 03 age group that could contribute here and there, but you should really get used to seeing him on the 4th line or the 4th D pairing, and maybe even setup some serious sports psychology counseling when he doesn't play.

Who's gonna take it harder: the 03 dad writing the $50K check and telling all of his golf buddies for the last 6 months about little Bobby going to Dexter / Nobles? Or little Bobby once he is relegated to playing a shift a period?

Oh and BTW no my kid didn't get cut, he played at KUA and won the NEPSAC a few years back.

It's Men vs. Boys now welcome to the big leagues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think he was being sarcastic. The "local evaluator" should have been your clue.

And Prep is hardly "Men vs. Boys" any more. Truly elite Freshmen absolutely have an impact - until they are off to the NTDP at 16.

Players a notch below still get lots of playing time as Freshmen, because if they don't they will leave and go get playing time elsewhere.

Sure, lots of parents get a hard dose of reality. They were told their kid would be Varsity - they didn't realize it meant he would be - as you said - 4th line or 4th pair that rarely play. it wasn't very long ago that Prep rolled lines/pairs. Not any more. Top two lines/pairs get 90% of the ice.

But, that isn't an age thing. Those same players are still in that same situation three years later as Seniors, with the latest 14/15 year old hot recruit or 17/18 year old MIAA transfer getting the TOI they thought they would eventually see if they worked hard and were good teammates.

Candidly, I don't know why those bottom players stay. Not with so many FS options available now. Prep is where their games went to die. So, what, they can say they played at X school back in the day?

Not being sarcastic, good players going to both those schools and other Boston area schools and all will make an immediate impact given their skill and ability to take games over. The local evaluator says so about a few of the uncommitted top players at 03.

Anon
Not being sarcastic, good players going to both those schools and all will make an immediate impact given their skill and ability to take games over. The local evaluator says so about a few of the uncommitted top players at 03.
Ok Dad, tell us who your 03 is

Anon
Not being sarcastic, good players going to both those schools and other Boston area schools and all will make an immediate impact given their skill and ability to take games over. The local evaluator says so about a few of the uncommitted top players at 03.
If your "local evaluator" is JC, you have a lot to learn about talent evaluation. He certainly does.

Now if you want to know how to hit a knock down 7-iron at Sankaty Head, he's your guy!

Big Leagues
I know you 03 parents are new to this whole prep thing and you\'ve been telling your superstars how great they are for years, but I\'m going to let you down easy.

The chances of any of your little \"McDavid\'s\" making a difference or a significant impact as first year players in prep this year is slim to none. Ok there might be 2-3 guys TOTAL in the 03 age group that could contribute here and there, but you should really get used to seeing him on the 4th line or the 4th D pairing, and maybe even setup some serious sports psychology counseling when he doesn\'t play.

Who\'s gonna take it harder: the 03 dad writing the \$50K check and telling all of his golf buddies for the last 6 months about little Bobby going to Dexter / Nobles? Or little Bobby once he is relegated to playing a shift a period?

Oh and BTW no my kid didn\'t get cut, he played at KUA and won the NEPSAC a few years back.

It\'s Men vs. Boys now welcome to the big leagues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If that is true, it is very sad and disturbing that you are on this board ****ting on kids that you do not know anonymously!

Whats truly sad is that you're too delusional to realize that its true.

What about Rivers, Thayer and Sebs? All have some good young talent coming in, all did lose good seniors or in Sebs case, a top goalie. Any thoughts on how these guys will do?

Is Prep becoming dominated by Soph/Jr classes? That would be majority 2001's and 2002's with the repeat year factored in. Seems like the better upperclassmen leave and go to USHL.........................................

Thoughts?

Lawrence academy. The amount of D1 commits they have is insane. Duran, Sacco, collangelo, etc. they may go for the 2peat

Anon
Lawrence academy. The amount of D1 commits they have is insane. Duran, Sacco, collangelo, etc. they may go for the 2peat
Class out early up in Groton?

"2peat" as what? Small School champs?

You do realize that means they weren't good enough to make the Elite 8, don't you?

You know, the Elite 8 they went into as the #1 seed in 2017 and got bounced from in one game?

Doubt their MIAA recruits are going to make up fo the loss of their top 2 scorers...

Lawrence will have a down year this year. Poorly coached, and it catches up this year. Sorry.

A few of these 03’s will find themselves on first line and PP. it’s just that they are this good and will auickly surpasz the 01’s and 02’s that they were recruited over.

Zero 03's on first line and PP at prep. ZERO.

If so, name them.

Thats pretty obvious who they are. One or two will also be top D on teams full of veterans.

Doubtful, unless they are at a lower hockey tier prep (RL,BBN). watched last few years at my sons school, each year the highly touted freshman only hit the ice for warmups between periods and maybe get a shift a period. If they even dress.

Anon
Doubtful, unless they are at a lower hockey tier prep (RL,BBN). watched last few years at my sons school, each year the highly touted freshman only hit the ice for warmups between periods and maybe get a shift a period. If they even dress.
Don't have much firsthand knowledge about the 03s, some birth years are definitely stronger than others. But I've seen impact freshmen - even 8th graders - at Keller and Founders division schools and stronger independents pretty much every year since Prep got on our radar, which goes back to the '97s when we started looking at schools for 7th grade entry.

Just go back and look at the kids that started out at NE prep schools and eventually went to the NTDP or were NHL draft picks. Even below that, I know several 2000s that played significant minutes as Freshmen that weren't drafted this past June.

Hearing influx of kids from out of state coming in. Lots of recruiting from West Coast happened at district and natty camps. Top 03 d was offered spot but stayed home and yes he would start.

Wouldn't the top players rather wait and go to USHL instead of Prep?

anon
Wouldn't the top players rather wait and go to USHL instead of Prep?
In the rest of the country, yes. They play T1EHL or HPHL U16, then the best players move to the U.

Here, they play Prep. That's one of the reasons why the local T1EHL teams struggle for talent.

Not sure why a player that contributes as a Prep underclassman wouldn't go to the U at 17 or 18. Nothing more to prove playing Prep.

Anon
anon
Wouldn\'t the top players rather wait and go to USHL instead of Prep?
In the rest of the country, yes. They play T1EHL or HPHL U16, then the best players move to the U.

Here, they play Prep. That's one of the reasons why the local T1EHL teams struggle for talent.

Not sure why a player that contributes as a Prep underclassman wouldn't go to the U at 17 or 18. Nothing more to prove playing Prep.
You are delusional. go watch a couple USHL games and then go to a prep game. Remember when the local boys (Donato, O'Brien...) get drafted and what they say on draft day. It's always about the 'weak competition' they've faced - every time. Prep is local high school of 10 years ago, not a big deal when you have PG 19-20 year olds playing against 15 year olds. Go to the summer tournaments and you'll see a pretty flat display of talent from local C.C., H.S., full season & prep kids. Tear the stickers off their helmets and they're all in the same.

anon
Anon
anon
Wouldn\\\'t the top players rather wait and go to USHL instead of Prep?

Here, they play Prep. That\'s one of the reasons why the local T1EHL teams struggle for talent.

Not sure why a player that contributes as a Prep underclassman wouldn\'t go to the U at 17 or 18. Nothing more to prove playing Prep.
You are delusional. go watch a couple USHL games and then go to a prep game. Remember when the local boys (Donato, O'Brien...) get drafted and what they say on draft day. It's always about the 'weak competition' they've faced - every time. Prep is local high school of 10 years ago, not a big deal when you have PG 19-20 year olds playing against 15 year olds. Go to the summer tournaments and you'll see a pretty flat display of talent from local C.C., H.S., full season & prep kids. Tear the stickers off their helmets and they're all in the same.
Ummm, I think we are agreeing. Top local kids "(Donato, O'Brien...)" play Prep for four years when they would be better off going to the U when they are 17, 18 like the kids in the rest of the country do.

That's what I said, Not sure what you read, or where the name-calling comes from if we are saying the same thing.

Ha! That's a lot to put on a couple of newbies.

There are at least 2 local 03 D ( maybe even a 3rd) that will see lots of ice and are both just as good as the west coast D you reference. My guess is their playing time will be similar to what Hannifin saw a few years back in his 8th grade year. Impact players that we will be seeing lots of over the next few years before heading to Michigan for the NTDP. Sure bets.

Difference is Hannifin was 6'3" in 8th grade so don't pencil these kids into the line-up just yet.

The two craziest dads on here are the dad who thinks prep hockey is this unbelievable place to play (hopefully to justify his cost) and the dad who thinks D-3 is some incredible achievement for a player and it's the next step to the NHL. Both must be these little fat men who played in the band in high school and stalked hot chicks they could never land.

anon
The two craziest dads on here are the dad who thinks prep hockey is this unbelievable place to play (hopefully to justify his cost) and the dad who thinks D-3 is some incredible achievement for a player and it's the next step to the NHL. Both must be these little fat men who played in the band in high school and stalked hot chicks they could never land.
I have never - once - seen anyone say D-III was "the next step to the NHL." Not once.

Maybe you have a reading issue?

anon
No, the two craziest dads on here are the guy you mention that thinks prep is an incredible achievement and the guy who thinks prep hockey is garbage. The truth lies somewhere in between, and maybe even near those extremes depending upon the school.

So are programs like SKS and what they are planning to do at Mount Saint Charles considered prep?

Are the SKS hockey players taking classes at South Kent or is it more of online classes and hockey players have their own classes - I have heard different things?

Just trying to get an idea...Son has prep school options as well so I don't want to just pay for hockey and not have a decent education to be able to get into a college at the end...

Thoughts???

Call it prep if you want but SKS 15 team is by far the top 03 team in the area. From net on out, no one compares. MSC has its work cut out to match the top notch recruits in CT.

Thanks...No question they are the top team but how are the academics there? I have heard it is mostly an online program because the kids skate & travel so much. Do they actually go to class?

I know they have D1 commits but can they actually get into the D1 school with the education they get?

Wont matter for admissions, big difference in a diploma from BC for a standard student vs. an athlete. Look at how many of these guys can't get real jobs after the skates are hung up.

Biggest joke is these kids " verbally committing" to schools they wouldn't stand a chance to get into academically witout the hockey piece. Examples, BU, Harvard, Notre Dame, Yale etc.......

So, the SKS kids are smart taking the approach they are taking as academics is not the priority at many / most of these D1 schools

Anon
Wont matter for admissions, big difference in a diploma from BC for a standard student vs. an athlete. Look at how many of these guys can't get real jobs after the skates are hung up.

Biggest joke is these kids " verbally committing" to schools they wouldn't stand a chance to get into academically witout the hockey piece. Examples, BU, Harvard, Notre Dame, Yale etc.......

So, the SKS kids are smart taking the approach they are taking as academics is not the priority at many / most of these D1 schools
Did you actually lump in BU with Notre Dame and two Ivy's?

This was discussed in another thread. SKS does not have online classes, at least not any more than any other school that offers a broader range of languages online. We looked at South Kent, and know kids there, but it wasn't quite the right fit for my son. I was impressed by the small classes, subject integration across multiple classes (reading novels in literature from the same period as the subject in history, etc.), and very involved faculty. Schools like SKS, Cushing, etc. have a different student body than a Phillips Andover for example. Not all great athletes are also great students. These schools help those students succeed where there would not do well is a different environment. My friend's son happens to be very strong student and he has been very challenged at SKS by the college course they offer through Syracuse University on the SKS campus. For a hockey environment, it's hard to beat.

Anon
Anon
Wont matter for admissions, big difference in a diploma from BC for a standard student vs. an athlete. Look at how many of these guys can\'t get real jobs after the skates are hung up.

Biggest joke is these kids \" verbally committing\" to schools they wouldn\'t stand a chance to get into academically witout the hockey piece. Examples, BU, Harvard, Notre Dame, Yale etc.......

Did you actually lump in BU with Notre Dame and two Ivy's?

LMAO

Anon
Call it prep if you want but SKS 15 team is by far the top 03 team in the area. From net on out, no one compares. MSC has its work cut out to match the top notch recruits in CT.
SKS is really good, probably the best around. But, for whatever it's worth, "no one compares" is a little stiff given that the Rats beat them a couple of weekends ago in the Beast final.

Anon
There are at least 2 local 03 D ( maybe even a 3rd) that will see lots of ice and are both just as good as the west coast D you reference. My guess is their playing time will be similar to what Hannifin saw a few years back in his 8th grade year. Impact players that we will be seeing lots of over the next few years before heading to Michigan for the NTDP. Sure bets.
Schools and initials. Not buying it

Insulting! We all know the names and initials of the 3, c'mon. Dumb statement

From what I here, most of the classes for hockey players at SK are on line. Don't knock degrees for hockey players from DI schools. If a kid comes from a good Prep, they often have the background to take a good major. Knew many at DI schools with degrees in Economics, Finance, and some Engineers. Kids who came from high schools that were marginal, or mostly on line do not have the background in math or science to take on tougher majors.

"Knew many at DI schools with degrees in Economics, Finance, and some Engineers." Show me a D-1 player who majored in Engineering...unicorn material.

anon
"Knew many at DI schools with degrees in Economics, Finance, and some Engineers." Show me a D-1 player who majored in Engineering...unicorn material.
I think "Pops'" recollections are a little dated. Scholarship athletes today are chattel. They are told what classes to take, what to major in, and where tand how to spend their time. It's a job, not an education.

Even at the Prep level, many of the athletes are in bottom rung classes.

Yes it was a few years ago, but my son had a 3.6 GPA in Engineering at a Hockey East school. His roomate had a 3.9 GPA in Economics.

And the student that took their tests for them likely was a hockey fan too.

Don't ever call someone a cheat unless you know what you are talking about.

Pops
Don't ever call someone a cheat unless you know what you are talking about.
Some advice, Pops, it's an anonymous message board. If you're going to get your panties in a bunch by an offhand comment, probably best to move on.

I'll jump in with my .02. Public School Education in the NorthEast is filled with elitist from NorthEast colleges who think they are Gods to education when in fact they are nothing but garbage that can't teach. Prep School Educations are absurd. You don't get a good paying job with a Prep School Degree. You stupid asses will drop $50K - $70K/year to send your kids to this horse s h i t. Then you have the wannabe middle class folks that will go into debt to pay for this education thinking they are doing the right thing when in fact they will have nothing left to put towards a real college degree. Then you stupid s h i t s will send your kids to Babson College, Plymouth State College, etc here in the NorthEast. There is nothing wrong with that except for the fact that these junior colleges are more expensive than a top notch institution in the South and/or Midwest like the University of Illinois.

You people are so screwed in your thinking. I guess that is why they call you democraps.

^^^^Angry much? It’s all gonna be ok.

anon
I'll jump in with my .02. Public School Education in the NorthEast is filled with elitist from NorthEast colleges who think they are Gods to education when in fact they are nothing but garbage that can't teach. Prep School Educations are absurd. You don't get a good paying job with a Prep School Degree. You stupid asses will drop $50K - $70K/year to send your kids to this horse s h i t. Then you have the wannabe middle class folks that will go into debt to pay for this education thinking they are doing the right thing when in fact they will have nothing left to put towards a real college degree. Then you stupid s h i t s will send your kids to Babson College, Plymouth State College, etc here in the NorthEast. There is nothing wrong with that except for the fact that these junior colleges are more expensive than a top notch institution in the South and/or Midwest like the University of Illinois.

You people are so screwed in your thinking. I guess that is why they call you democraps.
Dude, go back to sleep. I read your rant the past two years on this very same subject. Go relax, do whatever you have to do to relieve some of your stress. How people spend their money is tgeir own perogativ. Splurge a little, upgrade your 10 year old minivan, upgrade your Sox tickets from the bleachers, try something other than bud light and get tge extra package with your basic cable.

Did he really just use Babson and Plymouth State in the same sentence?

Anon
Did he really just use Babson and Plymouth State in the same sentence?
Haha, ne also has no idea about Babson's academic rep.

anon
I\'ll jump in with my .02. Public School Education in the NorthEast is filled with elitist from NorthEast colleges who think they are Gods to education when in fact they are nothing but garbage that can\'t teach. Prep School Educations are absurd. You don\'t get a good paying job with a Prep School Degree. You stupid asses will drop \$50K - \$70K/year to send your kids to this horse s h i t. Then you have the wannabe middle class folks that will go into debt to pay for this education thinking they are doing the right thing when in fact they will have nothing left to put towards a real college degree. Then you stupid s h i t s will send your kids to Babson College, Plymouth State College, etc here in the NorthEast. There is nothing wrong with that except for the fact that these junior colleges are more expensive than a top notch institution in the South and/or Midwest like the University of Illinois.

:joy: :joy: :joy: clown

anon
I\'ll jump in with my .02. Public School Education in the NorthEast is filled with elitist from NorthEast colleges who think they are Gods to education when in fact they are nothing but garbage that can\'t teach. Prep School Educations are absurd. You don\'t get a good paying job with a Prep School Degree. You stupid asses will drop \$50K - \$70K/year to send your kids to this horse s h i t. Then you have the wannabe middle class folks that will go into debt to pay for this education thinking they are doing the right thing when in fact they will have nothing left to put towards a real college degree. Then you stupid s h i t s will send your kids to Babson College, Plymouth State College, etc here in the NorthEast. There is nothing wrong with that except for the fact that these junior colleges are more expensive than a top notch institution in the South and/or Midwest like the University of Illinois.

If someone is crazy enough to drop 50K-70K per year on Prep..God bless them! Who does that these days? Do your homework.

There are plenty of kids at prep schools who are full pays; just that most of them are not hockey players. The big name schools are filled with kids where dad makes high six figure or seven figure income. Mom's "sidelite income" of $50,000 to $90,000 selling real estate pays the tuition bill. Wish I was in that boat.

Learning more about the Prep route with a year to go. Looking at Rosters from last year and very very few 03's on the list. Is this the year that those 03's will be cracking rosters or not until next year? Very confused, sorry.

Depends on the team and the coach. At many of the smaller schools you will see several 03's getting good ice time. At the powerhouse programs, exceptional 03's will play, but not too many. Some coaches live on recruiting repeat juniors each year, so this year it would be 01's and 00's getting most of the ice. If you are looking to go prep, you really need to do your homework on the coach and the program.

New Guy
Learning more about the Prep route with a year to go. Looking at Rosters from last year and very very few 03's on the list. Is this the year that those 03's will be cracking rosters or not until next year? Very confused, sorry.
Many of the '03's will be entering 9th grade this year as repeaters. (Not all, but many.) You'll have a better sense of which are playing/contributing by January or so. That first month + of games can be a bit of a jolt for kids who are only used to playing against kids their own age, but the good ones will start figuring it out after 10-15 games or so.

If you are looking for prep schools where a freshman might play, you might look at the ISL schools. They don't allow PGs, and upper level transfers are less common, so there is a bit more roster room, and comfort playing, smaller/younger players if they are good enough. On the other hand, some of those schools can be harder to get into, so -- unless your kid is really exceptional -- he'll probably need to be a good student, or have really good SSAT scores or otherwise be interesting (or super wealthy...).