Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: High School Season Coming!

OUCH to the locals who think they're the top of the hockey world!

Can't wait for the prep dad who defends prep hockey like it's the stepping stone to the NHL to show up and go on-and-on about how great it is.

Anon
Can't wait for the prep dad who defends prep hockey like it's the stepping stone to the NHL to show up and go on-and-on about how great it is.
Agree that its not "stepping stone to NHL" but do you know of any publics that can stay within 4 or 5 of a Prep team? My kid plays U16 so I don't care either way but the fact is you cant compare public/prep athletics.

Top two lines of a Super 8 team would have no problem playing prep teams. The problem is the depth.

That's a pretty accurate assessment. I'd think if you took the two top lines from two different teams they could hang with an average prep team. Depending on the goal tending of course.

Anon
Top two lines of a Super 8 team would have no problem playing prep teams. The problem is the depth.
So over 200 HS V hockey teams, roughly 3400 players on the low side, and your argument that the top 2 lines of 8 of the 200 teams would have no problem playing a prep team? Your entire argument that HS is as good as Prep is based on 48 forwards and 32 D-men out of 3400 players, what about the other 3320 kids? I hope you don't gamble.

Anon
Anon
So over 200 HS V hockey teams, roughly 3400 players on the low side, and your argument that the top 2 lines of 8 of the 200 teams would have no problem playing a prep team? Your entire argument that HS is as good as Prep is based on 48 forwards and 32 D-men out of 3400 players, what about the other 3320 kids? I hope you don't gamble.
What point are you trying to make? I think this guy is saying there are still some pretty good players coming out of MIAA. Sure the teams are not as strong as the good prep teams, but you'll find players that could compete in either situation. Do you disagree?

BTW, nobody with a kid that is a legit prep player would ever come on here and blast public school hockey. It's such an easy read, your kid is struggling and you're trying to justify the commitment of resources that you made for prep school. Just be satisfied that he's getting a solid education and stop acting out on message boards. If you really believed in the prep school philosophy, you would realize that the kids playing MIAA hockey are just there to round out their development into working adults. Very few (as you point out in your comment) are actually considering it a stepping stone to a higher level of hockey.

Geez, I hope the kid is a bit smarter than the dad - "Your entire argument that HS is as good as Prep" argument never happened. And the general assumption that the top end D-1 h.s. player is just as good as the prep players is seen every summer and fall at the split season tournaments. If you haven't seen it then you haven't been paying attention.

Kid who played D3 MIAA last year is one of the better 02's in the area.

Was the best player on the ice this past weekend at 16 States vs the over-hyped Jeff Cox/family advisor media creations.

He's moving on to Prep this year, so both points are valid.

Right, who really thinks that the best 300 high school age players coincidentally have parents with the deep pockets necessary to afford prep tuition. Plenty of kids on MIAA high school rosters who could easily crack prep rosters. Might not be first or second line, but....

Easily. Then you factor in the P.G. kids who actually were pretty good high school players before they went prep and I'd say there are plenty. Go watch the midget tournaments and you'll see full season kids, prep kids, C.C., public and everything in between playing along side each other on the same lines. If you're that much of a standout you should be playing in the Midwest.

Not True..After Super 8 its pretty bad hockey.

The fact that a D3 MIAA(D3, not CC or even D1) kid dominated an entire team of prep kids at 16 states last weekend, says a lot..

Names, reputations and high priced schools don't help you put the puck in the net. Just check the box scores and the banner.

A dominant D3 02? Come on.

Leading scorer in state 16 tourney. Against the best of the best. Carried team to title. Yep. D3

JT didn't play "elite" either. Played 4 N*s.

Prep season is 3 months long - Is it worth the expense? Why not play high level split seasons and Public HS if it's good quality? Let's eliminate the top top preps - are they rest much better than top catholics or top publics. For the 9-10th grader why not play high end split season and public high school - if you're good move on from there. Tough to justify the expense for prep or the travel for full season??? It's really a shame how the high school hockey experience has changed so dramatically in 20 years.

Anon
JT didn't play "elite" either. Played 4 N*s.
Sounds like he needs a better agent!

Anon
Anon
JT didn\'t play \"elite\" either. Played 4 N*s.
Sounds like he needs a better agent!
Classic Big Fish Small Pond syndrome.

His dad probably convinced him HS hockey will be the greatest experience of his life because it was the greatest experience of Dad's life.

Anon
Pretty funny; like you know the landscape. 2015 and 2016 the best defesensemen in the state both played for the D-1 title outside of the Super 8 and that's just two examples.

anon
Anon
Pretty funny; like you know the landscape. 2015 and 2016 the best defesensemen in the state both played for the D-1 title outside of the Super 8 and that's just two examples.
Ancient history. 2015 Catholic Private schools monopolized the Top 6. Token Publics were put in the Tournament just to feel like they were still in the mix. Everyone was talking about how it was unfair.

Now the Publics are beating the CCs.

That's how fast it's fallen off.

anon
Anon
So we are saying that MA High School hockey is good as a whole because 2 lines on 8 teams are good, 1 D3 player is very good and 3 years ago there was a strong Dman. What about ALL the other teams and players? 3500 kids and we talking about a Dman from 2 years ago! Pathetic!

I don't think anyone is saying MIAA is good as a WHOLE.

My point is that Prep or FS U16 isn't the end all be all for every good player, or even to develop good players.

There are still very good players at the MIAA level who can either move on to Prep later or Juniors, which most of the Prep/FS kids end up going anyways for ages 19/20. Split season and summer showcases prove it. There are MIAA kids all over the ice competing and doing well against the alleged cream of the crop Prepsters.

Playing MIAA in winter, good split in the Fall and quality summer showcases won't hurt a solid player one bit.

anon
I don't think anyone is saying MIAA is good as a WHOLE.

My point is that Prep or FS U16 isn't the end all be all for every good player, or even to develop good players.

There are still very good players at the MIAA level who can either move on to Prep later or Juniors, which most of the Prep/FS kids end up going anyways for ages 19/20. Split season and summer showcases prove it. There are MIAA kids all over the ice competing and doing well against the alleged cream of the crop Prepsters.

Playing MIAA in winter, good split in the Fall and quality summer showcases won't hurt a solid player one bit.

Actually, you're the third person to make this point, but the prep hardo keeps coming back with forced objection because...prep hockey is the best!

The best was the prep or full season dad hardo - "Yeah, but what about the kids who like to play real hockey?"

And the reply - "they're out in the Midwest playing in the USHL"

Hahahaha, never a hero in your home town!

anon
anon
I don\'t think anyone is saying MIAA is good as a WHOLE.

My point is that Prep or FS U16 isn\'t the end all be all for every good player, or even to develop good players.

Playing MIAA in winter, good split in the Fall and quality summer showcases won\'t hurt a solid player one bit.

Actually, you're the third person to make this point, but the prep hardo keeps coming back with forced objection because...prep hockey is the best!
Even if the hockey isn’t the ‘best’.. the education certainly is. Unfortunately i don’t think that matters to some people.

anon
So what is it looking like? Any sleepers out there making a run at Super 8 glory or is it the same-old-same-old? Who will be good?
hearing Pope Francis stands above the usual contenders.

curious how Central does with the turnover.

Some of the traditional public strong teams look like they've lost their hockey players and are now fielding teams with kids who have hockey as their second or third sport. Won't be good is my guess.