Visit The DBoard Online Store - https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Too many leagues and teams

Like him or not, Cox is right....about Midgets and Juniors....

NCAA Recruiting: Path to College Hockey out East needs fixing

By Jeff Cox
USPHL All-Star Premier Division Game 1
Having watched a lot of college, junior, high school, midget and summer showcase games over the past few years, something seems painfully obviously, but it won't happen without a lot of pressure from key figures in the hockey community.

USA Hockey brass and NCAA coaches need to step in and make the game better and help the financial pockets of all hockey parents who have kids aspiring to play Division I or Division III hockey.

There are far too many junior hockey leagues and the crux of the problem is out east. Don't get me wrong. The United States Hockey League (USHL) is a terrific league and any parent or player would be silly to not jump at the opportunity to play in the finest development path to college hockey. This argument is not against the USHL, it is against the lesser leagues that are watered down and only viable due to the money it brings in for its organizers.
Where the problem lies is at the lower levels of "junior hockey." The words junior hockey are in quotations because half of the leagues and teams that call themselves junior hockey are an absolute joke. Not to pick on the USPHL, but that league having an empire, elite and premier divisions is just complete nonsense.

However, don't expect it to stop anytime soon. The owners of these leagues and the teams in the leagues make far too much money off gullible hockey parents and players who can't hang up the skates and realize the dream is over.
Several times in the past few years this writer has heard of or directly seen examples of kids not good enough to make their public high school team or gaining significant ice time heading off to "junior hockey." This is absurd and is proof of the watered down nature of "junior hockey." Junior hockey should be for the best of the best. It should be for kids who have finished playing high school hockey who need a little more time to develop, but who have a legitimate shot at playing college hockey. As it stands now, more than half the teams out east are filled with kids who have very little chance of playing Division I.

This is where USA Hockey and NCAA coaches need to step in and send a message loud and clear. Playing high school or prep school hockey isn't a bad thing. As a Division I college coach told me last season, "If you're a good player, we'll find you."

Sure, right now with the current makeup of the NCAA developmental path, many parents and players are forced to leave high school hockey in favor of full-year midget teams. However, that could change if enough influential coaches and others in the hockey community push for a change.

I'm not naive enough to think my opinion matters or will even change anything, but there has to be enough coaches and USA Hockey brass who have the ability to put an end to this nonsense.

Play high school or prep hockey during the high school or prep season and play for the split season midget teams during the fall and spring. When a player graduates and has a better than average chance of continuing his career to college, play a season or two of junior hockey in the USHL, NAHL or a single league out east. The EHL and USPHL need to be merged and about half the teams need to be eliminated.

There are several examples of kids playing Division 2 or Division 3 high school hockey in Massachusetts before heading to a year of junior hockey or a PG year at a prep school then receiving a scholarship offer from a Hockey East school.

This won't be a popular opinion among the lesser junior leagues and its owners and coaches, but it's a message that needs to be said. Watching today's two separate USPHL Premier Division "All-Star Games" at Merrimack College was a lost three hours for every observer in the building.

Sure, there were some good players. Vermont recruit Conor O'Neil of the Jersey Hitmen and un-committed Ryan Cloonan of the Junior Bruins showed off some nice skill, but there were far too many players who had no business being on the ice for a so-called junior hockey All-Star Game.

However, as the current makeup of the USPHL stands, it hurts players and doesn't benefit scouts trying to find good players. The Jersey Hitmen, Junior Bruins and South Shore Kings are relatively good hockey teams with several players going to Division I and some rightfully so garnering NHL Draft attention.

The problem is those players have to play against the bottom half of the league, which is just downright awful. Eliminate junior leagues, eliminate teams, combine the top half of the EHL and USPHL and everyone - players, coaches, recruiters and scouts - will all be better off.

Re: Too many leagues and teams

Article is 4 - 5 years old. Since then, HS hockey died.

So, as a practical matter, there ARE fewer teams now. Everyone left MIAA.

Anon

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Truth^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

High School hockey is dead and I hope along with it the interfering parents and ego driven coaches that have attached themselves to the model. FS midgets is a direct consequence of these people's actions. If you played the best kids instead of cow tailing to the delusional parents who will do anything to get ahead of others then you would still have High School hockey.

Prep School is the not the model either. Too expensive. I didn't put my son in hockey to seek an education. Sorry, that is not his, and many kids like him, goal.

anon
Anon

High School hockey is dead and I hope along with it the interfering parents and ego driven coaches that have attached themselves to the model. FS midgets is a direct consequence of these people's actions. If you played the best kids instead of cow tailing to the delusional parents who will do anything to get ahead of others then you would still have High School hockey.

Prep School is the not the model either. Too expensive. I didn't put my son in hockey to seek an education. Sorry, that is not his, and many kids like him, goal.
Thats incorrect, the over whelming majority of DI College Commits out east come from Prep

Anon
anon
Anon

High School hockey is dead and I hope along with it the interfering parents and ego driven coaches that have attached themselves to the model. FS midgets is a direct consequence of these people\'s actions. If you played the best kids instead of cow tailing to the delusional parents who will do anything to get ahead of others then you would still have High School hockey.

Prep School is the not the model either. Too expensive. I didn\'t put my son in hockey to seek an education. Sorry, that is not his, and many kids like him, goal.
Thats incorrect, the over whelming majority of DI College Commits out east come from Prep
He didn't say they didn't. He said that paying tens of thousands to get an educational opportunity that their kid wouldn't otherwise pursue if it weren't for hockey isn't the right model.

I agree. And, I'll add, Prep hockey wasn't what it was a few years ago, either. They used to have depth. Now the top two lines/pairs get 80% of the ice. And those D-I commits (which are meaningless, BTW) are concentrated in a dozen schools. The rest are left with nothing but hopes and dreams, because their game is dying on the vine.

Choose the two separately. If your kid is Prep School material, choose the right Prep School for him, educationally and socially. Otherwise, go to your town HS, or go online.

And play full season. Here or in the midwest. The season is seven months, not 2 1/2. The teams here would be way more competitive on a national level. So more kids would develop, more kids would play at the next level.

Anon
Anon
anon
Anon

High School hockey is dead and I hope along with it the interfering parents and ego driven coaches that have attached themselves to the model. FS midgets is a direct consequence of these people\\\'s actions. If you played the best kids instead of cow tailing to the delusional parents who will do anything to get ahead of others then you would still have High School hockey.

Prep School is the not the model either. Too expensive. I didn\\\'t put my son in hockey to seek an education. Sorry, that is not his, and many kids like him, goal.
He didn't say they didn't. He said that paying tens of thousands to get an educational opportunity that their kid wouldn't otherwise pursue if it weren't for hockey isn't the right model.

I agree. And, I'll add, Prep hockey wasn't what it was a few years ago, either. They used to have depth. Now the top two lines/pairs get 80% of the ice. And those D-I commits (which are meaningless, BTW) are concentrated in a dozen schools. The rest are left with nothing but hopes and dreams, because their game is dying on the vine.

Choose the two separately. If your kid is Prep School material, choose the right Prep School for him, educationally and socially. Otherwise, go to your town HS, or go online.

And play full season. Here or in the midwest. The season is seven months, not 2 1/2. The teams here would be way more competitive on a national level. So more kids would develop, more kids would play at the next level.
Correct, why can't these people in hockey pushing this Prep school option down people's throat not see this. To me, Prep athletics should be where the nerds play. Again, I didn't put my kid in hockey to try to get into Harvard.

USPHL Premier has 52 teams-52! The idea that teams have to travel hundreds/thousands of miles to these showcases to play a team that looks like it belongs in the Hingham Beer League is a complete joke and waste of time. I've seen it now 4 times in 8 games.
I've watched two NCDC games-both teams in each game were for the most part solid.
You can take the Premier level and chop off the bottom half of that league-the top teams are good for the most part, not great, good-the teams in the bottom half are dreadful. Time to face reality, hang up the skates and get on with life. I absolutely do not blame college coaches for not going to see the majority of these games.
The elite level? Good God

Anon
USPHL Premier has 52 teams-52! The idea that teams have to travel hundreds/thousands of miles to these showcases to play a team that looks like it belongs in the Hingham Beer League is a complete joke and waste of time. I've seen it now 4 times in 8 games.
I've watched two NCDC games-both teams in each game were for the most part solid.
You can take the Premier level and chop off the bottom half of that league-the top teams are good for the most part, not great, good-the teams in the bottom half are dreadful. Time to face reality, hang up the skates and get on with life. I absolutely do not blame college coaches for not going to see the majority of these games.
Who cares how many lower level teams there are? If people want to pay, why shouldn't there be a league for those players? They're not hurting you.

What we DON'T have here in NE is truly elite FS. The Advantage play in one of the best Midget league in the country, a feeder league for the U, and are decent but below .500 - again. The Monarchs could use local kids, not imports (and they aren't competitive despite bringing in international players). The NCDC would be stronger, as would the U16 and U18 USPHL teams.

Building that kind of local strength would bring the NAHL (more than one team) and the U. They WANT to be in the East, but they know people will go to Prep games before they will go to Junior hockey in this part of the country.

Anon
Anon
USPHL Premier has 52 teams-52! The idea that teams have to travel hundreds/thousands of miles to these showcases to play a team that looks like it belongs in the Hingham Beer League is a complete joke and waste of time. I\'ve seen it now 4 times in 8 games.
I\'ve watched two NCDC games-both teams in each game were for the most part solid.
Who cares how many lower level teams there are? If people want to pay, why shouldn't there be a league for those players? They're not hurting you.

What we DON'T have here in NE is truly elite FS. The Advantage play in one of the best Midget league in the country, a feeder league for the U, and are decent but below .500 - again. The Monarchs could use local kids, not imports (and they aren't competitive despite bringing in international players). The NCDC would be stronger, as would the U16 and U18 USPHL teams.

Building that kind of local strength would bring the NAHL (more than one team) and the U. They WANT to be in the East, but they know people will go to Prep games before they will go to Junior hockey in this part of the country.
Thats incorrect, the best midge age players are in the USHL

Anon
Anon
Anon
USPHL Premier has 52 teams-52! The idea that teams have to travel hundreds/thousands of miles to these showcases to play a team that looks like it belongs in the Hingham Beer League is a complete joke and waste of time. I\\\'ve seen it now 4 times in 8 games.
I\\\'ve watched two NCDC games-both teams in each game were for the most part solid.
Who cares how many lower level teams there are? If people want to pay, why shouldn\'t there be a league for those players? They\'re not hurting you.

What we DON\'T have here in NE is truly elite FS. The Advantage play in one of the best Midget league in the country, a feeder league for the U, and are decent but below .500 - again. The Monarchs could use local kids, not imports (and they aren\'t competitive despite bringing in international players). The NCDC would be stronger, as would the U16 and U18 USPHL teams.

Learn to read. I said one of the best Midget LEAGUES. The U is Juniors.

Is that your thing? You come onto a message board and just disagree with people without reading what they write?

Hockey in NE falls into 2 categories.

1) The folks who run Prep, EHL, HNIB, E9, and High school
2) The folks who run the USPHL and Fed.

I hope the USPHL and Fed win because their model includes everyone. The other model works to the advantage of those who have money. They are the ones ruining it for the top players to rise to the top.

Anon

I hope the USPHL and Fed win because their model includes everyone. The other model works to the advantage of those who have money. They are the ones ruining it for the top players to rise to the top.
I think you've simplified things a little too much. The only exclusive thing you've included in List 1 is prep school. The rest are open to everyone at no greater cost than either of the options in List 2.

You must be a USPHL/EHF company guy. No other reason to bring in E9/HNIB. Your real target should be the prep school route.

Anon

Both paths still require a considerable investment of both time and money. What everyone here fails to realize is this sport is still very much about pedigree and the people who run it at the top in Hockey East, are still looking for that pedigree and that is prep school. They want to know that the athlete can hack both a demanding educational and athletic schedule. When they want that pure stud, they look to the USHL. There are exceptions to every rule of course. The USPHL and Fed still require a large financial investment with nothing in return if they burn out.

Anon
Anon

Both paths still require a considerable investment of both time and money. What everyone here fails to realize is this sport is still very much about pedigree and the people who run it at the top in Hockey East, are still looking for that pedigree and that is prep school. They want to know that the athlete can hack both a demanding educational and athletic schedule. When they want that pure stud, they look to the USHL. There are exceptions to every rule of course. The USPHL and Fed still require a large financial investment with nothing in return if they burn out.
Not even close in investment to Prep. You are stealing people's college tuitions by forcing everyone to go the Prep route. Also, you make it sound like everyone needs to go to college. That is wrong and what is the major problem with New England hockey. Again, I didn't have my son play hockey looking for a Harvard education. Looks like the junior route in Canada is the way to go.

The system is broken.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
USPHL Premier has 52 teams-52! The idea that teams have to travel hundreds/thousands of miles to these showcases to play a team that looks like it belongs in the Hingham Beer League is a complete joke and waste of time. I\\\\\\'ve seen it now 4 times in 8 games.
I\\\\\\'ve watched two NCDC games-both teams in each game were for the most part solid.
Who cares how many lower level teams there are? If people want to pay, why shouldn\\'t there be a league for those players? They\\'re not hurting you.

What we DON\\'T have here in NE is truly elite FS. The Advantage play in one of the best Midget league in the country, a feeder league for the U, and are decent but below .500 - again. The Monarchs could use local kids, not imports (and they aren\\'t competitive despite bringing in international players). The NCDC would be stronger, as would the U16 and U18 USPHL teams.

Is that your thing? You come onto a message board and just disagree with people without reading what they write?
Learn to read? Learn the ages of Midgets you dumb _ss? The best 16, 17, and 18 year olds are playing in the USHL. Oh, BTW those ages are also midget ages too?? Dumb _ss

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
USPHL Premier has 52 teams-52! The idea that teams have to travel hundreds/thousands of miles to these showcases to play a team that looks like it belongs in the Hingham Beer League is a complete joke and waste of time. I\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve seen it now 4 times in 8 games.
I\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve watched two NCDC games-both teams in each game were for the most part solid.
Who cares how many lower level teams there are? If people want to pay, why shouldn\\\\\'t there be a league for those players? They\\\\\'re not hurting you.

What we DON\\\\\'T have here in NE is truly elite FS. The Advantage play in one of the best Midget league in the country, a feeder league for the U, and are decent but below .500 - again. The Monarchs could use local kids, not imports (and they aren\\\\\'t competitive despite bringing in international players). The NCDC would be stronger, as would the U16 and U18 USPHL teams.

Learn to read? Learn the ages of Midgets you dumb _ss? The best 16, 17, and 18 year olds are playing in the USHL. Oh, BTW those ages are also midget ages too?? Dumb _ss
Let...me...say....this....more...slowly...so...you...can...understand...

The U is not a Midget league. It has midget aged players. Well, it has 17 and 18 year olds. You have to be 16 as of Dec 31, so in theory a 15 year old could be playing, but without looking it up I'll guess that number is zero, possibly with an exception on the NTDP. And the number of 16 year olds is extremely low, outside of the NTDP.

it also has 19 and 20 year olds, even players that turn 21 next year.

So, repeat after me, it is not a Midget league.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
USPHL Premier has 52 teams-52! The idea that teams have to travel hundreds/thousands of miles to these showcases to play a team that looks like it belongs in the Hingham Beer League is a complete joke and waste of time. I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve seen it now 4 times in 8 games.
I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve watched two NCDC games-both teams in each game were for the most part solid.
Who cares how many lower level teams there are? If people want to pay, why shouldn\\\\\\\\\\\'t there be a league for those players? They\\\\\\\\\\\'re not hurting you.

What we DON\\\\\\\\\\\'T have here in NE is truly elite FS. The Advantage play in one of the best Midget league in the country, a feeder league for the U, and are decent but below .500 - again. The Monarchs could use local kids, not imports (and they aren\\\\\\\\\\\'t competitive despite bringing in international players). The NCDC would be stronger, as would the U16 and U18 USPHL teams.

The U is not a Midget league. It has midget aged players. Well, it has 17 and 18 year olds. You have to be 16 as of Dec 31, so in theory a 15 year old could be playing, but without looking it up I'll guess that number is zero, possibly with an exception on the NTDP. And the number of 16 year olds is extremely low, outside of the NTDP.

Let me say it slow so you can understand, the best 16, 17, and 18 year olds are playing in the USHL, so the Tier 1 Midget league isn't any better than any league around here or elsewhere. All because you travel to the midwest doesn't make the hockey any better.

Anon
Anon
Anon

The U is not a Midget league. It has midget aged players. Well, it has 17 and 18 year olds. You have to be 16 as of Dec 31, so in theory a 15 year old could be playing, but without looking it up I\'ll guess that number is zero, possibly with an exception on the NTDP. And the number of 16 year olds is extremely low, outside of the NTDP.

Let me say it slow so you can understand, the best 16, 17, and 18 year olds are playing in the USHL, so the Tier 1 Midget league isn't any better than any league around here or elsewhere. All because you travel to the midwest doesn't make the hockey any better.
Hahaha, now I get it. You don't know Midget hockey.

Go watch a U16 T1EHL or HPHL game some time. Then go watch - what would be considered the best local U16 league? USPHL? ECEL?

Take a look at the MHR rankings. As flawed as they may be, the highest ranked local full season team last year was the Junior Bruins at #30. They were a good team, capable of playing against anyone, don't get me wrong. But the league isn't comparable. T1EHL and HPHL are better Midget leagues, by a wide margin.

Say hi to Topher for me.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

The U is not a Midget league. It has midget aged players. Well, it has 17 and 18 year olds. You have to be 16 as of Dec 31, so in theory a 15 year old could be playing, but without looking it up I\\'ll guess that number is zero, possibly with an exception on the NTDP. And the number of 16 year olds is extremely low, outside of the NTDP.

Hahaha, now I get it. You don't know Midget hockey.

Go watch a U16 T1EHL or HPHL game some time. Then go watch - what would be considered the best local U16 league? USPHL? ECEL?

Take a look at the MHR rankings. As flawed as they may be, the highest ranked local full season team last year was the Junior Bruins at #30. They were a good team, capable of playing against anyone, don't get me wrong. But the league isn't comparable. T1EHL and HPHL are better Midget leagues, by a wide margin.

Say hi to Topher for me.
I don't have to watch any U16 or U18 league, my kid played in the USHL when he was 17 & 18, now he is playing for a HockeyEast school, thanks for playing along.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

The U is not a Midget league. It has midget aged players. Well, it has 17 and 18 year olds. You have to be 16 as of Dec 31, so in theory a 15 year old could be playing, but without looking it up I\\\\\'ll guess that number is zero, possibly with an exception on the NTDP. And the number of 16 year olds is extremely low, outside of the NTDP.

Let me say it slow so you can understand, the best 16, 17, and 18 year olds are playing in the USHL, so the Tier 1 Midget league isn\'t any better than any league around here or elsewhere. All because you travel to the midwest doesn\'t make the hockey any better.
Hahaha, now I get it. You don\'t know Midget hockey.

Take a look at the MHR rankings. As flawed as they may be, the highest ranked local full season team last year was the Junior Bruins at #30. They were a good team, capable of playing against anyone, don\'t get me wrong. But the league isn\'t comparable. T1EHL and HPHL are better Midget leagues, by a wide margin.

Say hi to Topher for me.
I don't have to watch any U16 or U18 league, my kid played in the USHL when he was 17 & 18, now he is playing for a HockeyEast school, thanks for playing along.
Well, aren't you the arrogant pr!ck.

Yeah, every other kid should quit the sport. They are all inferior to yours.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

The U is not a Midget league. It has midget aged players. Well, it has 17 and 18 year olds. You have to be 16 as of Dec 31, so in theory a 15 year old could be playing, but without looking it up I\\\\\\\\\\\'ll guess that number is zero, possibly with an exception on the NTDP. And the number of 16 year olds is extremely low, outside of the NTDP.

Let me say it slow so you can understand, the best 16, 17, and 18 year olds are playing in the USHL, so the Tier 1 Midget league isn\\\'t any better than any league around here or elsewhere. All because you travel to the midwest doesn\\\'t make the hockey any better.
Hahaha, now I get it. You don\\\'t know Midget hockey.

Take a look at the MHR rankings. As flawed as they may be, the highest ranked local full season team last year was the Junior Bruins at #30. They were a good team, capable of playing against anyone, don\\\'t get me wrong. But the league isn\\\'t comparable. T1EHL and HPHL are better Midget leagues, by a wide margin.

Say hi to Topher for me.
I don\'t have to watch any U16 or U18 league, my kid played in the USHL when he was 17 & 18, now he is playing for a HockeyEast school, thanks for playing along.
Well, aren't you the arrogant pr!ck.

Trust me. You wouldn't want this guy coaching your son in hockey. Horrible coach. Horrible. The kid didn't make the USHL on talent alone. More like connections.

anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

The U is not a Midget league. It has midget aged players. Well, it has 17 and 18 year olds. You have to be 16 as of Dec 31, so in theory a 15 year old could be playing, but without looking it up I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ll guess that number is zero, possibly with an exception on the NTDP. And the number of 16 year olds is extremely low, outside of the NTDP.

Let me say it slow so you can understand, the best 16, 17, and 18 year olds are playing in the USHL, so the Tier 1 Midget league isn\\\\\\\'t any better than any league around here or elsewhere. All because you travel to the midwest doesn\\\\\\\'t make the hockey any better.
Hahaha, now I get it. You don\\\\\\\'t know Midget hockey.

Take a look at the MHR rankings. As flawed as they may be, the highest ranked local full season team last year was the Junior Bruins at #30. They were a good team, capable of playing against anyone, don\\\\\\\'t get me wrong. But the league isn\\\\\\\'t comparable. T1EHL and HPHL are better Midget leagues, by a wide margin.

Say hi to Topher for me.
I don\\\'t have to watch any U16 or U18 league, my kid played in the USHL when he was 17 & 18, now he is playing for a HockeyEast school, thanks for playing along.
Well, aren\'t you the arrogant pr!ck.

Trust me. You wouldn't want this guy coaching your son in hockey. Horrible coach. Horrible. The kid didn't make the USHL on talent alone. More like connections.
Yeah, I know he's been here before, talking about his Hockey East kid. Sad, really, that someone whose kid has had a taste would **** on other players. Guess he knows, deep down, that his kid has cheated the process and that it will eventually catch up to him.

Anon

By Jeff Cox
Having watched a lot of college, junior, high school, midget and summer showcase games over the past few years, something seems painfully obviously, but it won't happen without a lot of pressure from key figures in the hockey community.

USA Hockey brass and NCAA coaches need to step in and make the game better and help the financial pockets of all hockey parents who have kids aspiring to play Division I or Division III hockey.

There are far too many junior hockey leagues and the crux of the problem is out east. Don't get me wrong. The United States Hockey League (USHL) is a terrific league and any parent or player would be silly to not jump at the opportunity to play in the finest development path to college hockey. This argument is not against the USHL, it is against the lesser leagues that are watered down and only viable due to the money it brings in for its organizers.
Where the problem lies is at the lower levels of "junior hockey." The words junior hockey are in quotations because half of the leagues and teams that call themselves junior hockey are an absolute joke. Not to pick on the USPHL, but that league having an empire, elite and premier divisions is just complete nonsense.

However, don't expect it to stop anytime soon. The owners of these leagues and the teams in the leagues make far too much money off gullible hockey parents and players who can't hang up the skates and realize the dream is over.
Several times in the past few years this writer has heard of or directly seen examples of kids not good enough to make their public high school team or gaining significant ice time heading off to "junior hockey." This is absurd and is proof of the watered down nature of "junior hockey." Junior hockey should be for the best of the best. It should be for kids who have finished playing high school hockey who need a little more time to develop, but who have a legitimate shot at playing college hockey. As it stands now, more than half the teams out east are filled with kids who have very little chance of playing Division I.

This is where USA Hockey and NCAA coaches need to step in and send a message loud and clear. Playing high school or prep school hockey isn't a bad thing. As a Division I college coach told me last season, "If you're a good player, we'll find you."

Sure, right now with the current makeup of the NCAA developmental path, many parents and players are forced to leave high school hockey in favor of full-year midget teams. However, that could change if enough influential coaches and others in the hockey community push for a change.

I'm not naive enough to think my opinion matters or will even change anything, but there has to be enough coaches and USA Hockey brass who have the ability to put an end to this nonsense.

Play high school or prep hockey during the high school or prep season and play for the split season midget teams during the fall and spring. When a player graduates and has a better than average chance of continuing his career to college, play a season or two of junior hockey in the USHL, NAHL or a single league out east. The EHL and USPHL need to be merged and about half the teams need to be eliminated.

There are several examples of kids playing Division 2 or Division 3 high school hockey in Massachusetts before heading to a year of junior hockey or a PG year at a prep school then receiving a scholarship offer from a Hockey East school.

This won't be a popular opinion among the lesser junior leagues and its owners and coaches, but it's a message that needs to be said. Watching today's two separate USPHL Premier Division "All-Star Games" at Merrimack College was a lost three hours for every observer in the building.

Sure, there were some good players. Vermont recruit Conor O'Neil of the Jersey Hitmen and un-committed Ryan Cloonan of the Junior Bruins showed off some nice skill, but there were far too many players who had no business being on the ice for a so-called junior hockey All-Star Game.

However, as the current makeup of the USPHL stands, it hurts players and doesn't benefit scouts trying to find good players. The Jersey Hitmen, Junior Bruins and South Shore Kings are relatively good hockey teams with several players going to Division I and some rightfully so garnering NHL Draft attention.

The problem is those players have to play against the bottom half of the league, which is just downright awful. Eliminate junior leagues, eliminate teams, combine the top half of the EHL and USPHL and everyone - players, coaches, recruiters and scouts - will all be better off.
Jeff Cox is a direct arm of the interfering parent who will not stop at anything to get ahead. To me, he is a big problem pushing kids who do not belong. He does not scout. He does what the money tells him to do.

What are we doing? We have a lot of posts on various strings saying Junior Hockey in the East is terrible, Prep school hockey isn't what it was, High School hockey is horrible, Full Season Hockey is terrible, and so on and so forth. So basically, there is no good hockey after youth for most MA players? (Along these lines, I'd say D1 hockey is terrible also because it is glorified minor leagues, unless you like watching 23 year olds play hockey.)

Anon

By Jeff Cox

How about a proofreader? Read the opening sentence again:

"Having watched a lot of college, junior, high school, midget and summer showcase games over the past few years, something seems painfully obviously, but it won't happen without a lot of pressure from key figures in the hockey community."

I would never open my "financial pockets" to pay for this drivel. Youth and midget hockey do not exist solely to advance players into college. If there is a demand for club hockey all the way up to age 18, then the market is going to fill it. Why look down on these leagues when they're probably subsidizing your superstar playing in the higher division?

Or does Cox need fewer teams so it will be easier for him to identify kids for his prospect lists? Too difficult to pick out the diamond in the rough I guess.

anon
Anon

By Jeff Cox
Having watched a lot of college, junior, high school, midget and summer showcase games over the past few years, something seems painfully obviously, but it won\'t happen without a lot of pressure from key figures in the hockey community.

There are far too many junior hockey leagues and the crux of the problem is out east. Don\'t get me wrong. The United States Hockey League (USHL) is a terrific league and any parent or player would be silly to not jump at the opportunity to play in the finest development path to college hockey. This argument is not against the USHL, it is against the lesser leagues that are watered down and only viable due to the money it brings in for its organizers.
Where the problem lies is at the lower levels of \"junior hockey.\" The words junior hockey are in quotations because half of the leagues and teams that call themselves junior hockey are an absolute joke. Not to pick on the USPHL, but that league having an empire, elite and premier divisions is just complete nonsense.

However, don\'t expect it to stop anytime soon. The owners of these leagues and the teams in the leagues make far too much money off gullible hockey parents and players who can\'t hang up the skates and realize the dream is over.
Several times in the past few years this writer has heard of or directly seen examples of kids not good enough to make their public high school team or gaining significant ice time heading off to \"junior hockey.\" This is absurd and is proof of the watered down nature of \"junior hockey.\" Junior hockey should be for the best of the best. It should be for kids who have finished playing high school hockey who need a little more time to develop, but who have a legitimate shot at playing college hockey. As it stands now, more than half the teams out east are filled with kids who have very little chance of playing Division I.

This is where USA Hockey and NCAA coaches need to step in and send a message loud and clear. Playing high school or prep school hockey isn\'t a bad thing. As a Division I college coach told me last season, \"If you\'re a good player, we\'ll find you.\"

I\'m not naive enough to think my opinion matters or will even change anything, but there has to be enough coaches and USA Hockey brass who have the ability to put an end to this nonsense.

This won\'t be a popular opinion among the lesser junior leagues and its owners and coaches, but it\'s a message that needs to be said. Watching today\'s two separate USPHL Premier Division \"All-Star Games\" at Merrimack College was a lost three hours for every observer in the building.

Sure, there were some good players. Vermont recruit Conor O\'Neil of the Jersey Hitmen and un-committed Ryan Cloonan of the Junior Bruins showed off some nice skill, but there were far too many players who had no business being on the ice for a so-called junior hockey All-Star Game.

However, as the current makeup of the USPHL stands, it hurts players and doesn\'t benefit scouts trying to find good players. The Jersey Hitmen, Junior Bruins and South Shore Kings are relatively good hockey teams with several players going to Division I and some rightfully so garnering NHL Draft attention.

How about a proofreader? Read the opening sentence again:

"Having watched a lot of college, junior, high school, midget and summer showcase games over the past few years, something seems painfully obviously, but it won't happen without a lot of pressure from key figures in the hockey community."

I would never open my "financial pockets" to pay for this drivel. Youth and midget hockey do not exist solely to advance players into college. If there is a demand for club hockey all the way up to age 18, then the market is going to fill it. Why look down on these leagues when they're probably subsidizing your superstar playing in the higher division?

Or does Cox need fewer teams so it will be easier for him to identify kids for his prospect lists? Too difficult to pick out the diamond in the rough I guess.
Cox's prospect list is very easy to understand. It is based on the parents who pay for a hockey advisor. That is why he pushes the Prep model. His livelihood depends on it.

I love the - "The United States Hockey League (USHL) is a terrific league and any parent or player would be silly to not jump at the opportunity to play in the finest development path to college hockey" Kid in my town turned it down and the coach said, "we never had anyone ever turn us down." Whatever, sometimes they burn out. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Still think they should impose a hard age limit for D-3 and washout all these Tier III Junior programs which are just looking for checks. It makes no sense to delay life 2 years, spend $20k to get into an unknown school and play in front of 35 paying customers. Coaches would have to look for D-3 kids in prep, full season and high schools and get them going by the age of 19. If you have D-1 potential go to the NAHL or USHL and play the recruiting game which currently exists. If you age-out of Tier I & II you're already behind in the game of life and move along.

anon
Still think they should impose a hard age limit for D-3 and washout all these Tier III Junior programs which are just looking for checks. It makes no sense to delay life 2 years, spend $20k to get into an unknown school and play in front of 35 paying customers. Coaches would have to look for D-3 kids in prep, full season and high schools and get them going by the age of 19. If you have D-1 potential go to the NAHL or USHL and play the recruiting game which currently exists. If you age-out of Tier I & II you're already behind in the game of life and move along.
So. What.

Lots of kids take gap years to do nothing more than backpack Europe - if even that experiential.

Undergrad has become a 5+ year undertaking for over 2/3 of students. And, you have to go to Grad School anyway.

It's pretty common to be 24 and receiving your undergrad diploma. I think I saw that the average is between 23 and 24 now. Not something unique to hockey.

Time to stop living in the past, Pops.

Hey Grandpa, the whole point was to eliminate the scam that is being perpetrated by all of these Tier III Junior teams. The 'pay to play' model just so you can show-up at some tiny D-3 school and play in front of a handful of people who hardly care is so irresponsible on so many levels. Much better off taking a gap year, hiking through Europe and keeping your $20,000. Fielding teams of 18-19-20 year olds who are paying money just so the ice doesn't sit idle during the weekdays just to delay college is silly. Move them along, start them at 19 and if you're a kid with a D-1 shot then try-out and play in a non-pay-to-play league. At least those kids have a shot at some assistance once they go to school. D-3 there is N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

anon
Hey Grandpa, the whole point was to eliminate the scam that is being perpetrated by all of these Tier III Junior teams. The 'pay to play' model just so you can show-up at some tiny D-3 school and play in front of a handful of people who hardly care is so irresponsible on so many levels. Much better off taking a gap year, hiking through Europe and keeping your $20,000. Fielding teams of 18-19-20 year olds who are paying money just so the ice doesn't sit idle during the weekdays just to delay college is silly. Move them along, start them at 19 and if you're a kid with a D-1 shot then try-out and play in a non-pay-to-play league. At least those kids have a shot at some assistance once they go to school. D-3 there is N-O-T-H-I-N-G.
I am truly sorry that you see the whole hockey and college thing as dollars and cents. It must suck to have to pay attention to the bank account balance that closely and hope there's a Wal-Mart greeter job waiting for you when you retire. I personally wouldn't trade one day of my kid's hockey career to get the money back.

It really isn't about the money. It's about kids following their passions and parents supporting them in that journey.

By coincidence, TJHN reposted a letter the received a few years back. I thought you might understand a little better if you read it. If you can't read, have your kid read it to you.

Oh, and BTW, there is plenty of scholarship money at D-III schools. It just isn't athletic scholarship money. In many cases, it's more than the same kid gets at a D-I school. It works like the Ivies. Or, would you say they are N-O-T-H-I-N-G as well?

Enjoy.

This letter was sent to us by a player who received it from his Father, and was originally published nearly six years ago. The player said one thing before attaching the letter; “this is what its all about.” I think that this is something that all of us hockey fathers will one day wish we have written to our sons:

Dear _______________________,

Has it really been 18 years since I first took you skating? It feels like it was yesterday. I can remember the very first time, and the look on your face as you struggled to balance on those skates.

Has it really been 16 seasons of watching you play? Where has the time gone, how many hundreds of hours have we spent at the rink and in the car? How many trips to Tim Hortons have we made?

I find it hard to believe now, that in a few short weeks it will all come to an end. The practices, the games, the trips to buy new gear in the summer, and all the camps.

While there is a part of me that is tremendously sad that it is ending, I would not trade the sadness I feel for anything in the world. I am sad not only because of the end, but because I know how you will feel a year from now.

While it would be easy for me to be selfish and complain about it ending, I can only hope you can find a way to replace what you have always known as routine. While you may be leaving the game as a competitive player, the game should always be a part of you. The memories you have should last a lifetime. The friends you have made will always be your friends.

Take these last games and relish every minute of them. Play with a passion that will allow you to let the game go as a player and remain full with the memories it has given you. Hockey may no longer consume you, but it will always be a part of you. As you walk away, know that one day you will come back.

This is a circle. It is a family thing. One day I hope you will experience the sadness I feel today with your own son. Why? Because there is joy behind the sadness.

Through this adventure we have taken as a family, you have grown into a man. A man that any parent would be proud of. You have a future, you understand rules, and you know what it is to be a team player. You have learned to give back, and you understand what it takes to push yourself beyond what you thought you could achieve.

My joy in having watched you grow into the person that you are today will outweigh the sadness of watching these last games knowing they will be the last. My joy will one day be in watching you tie your sons skates as you pass on this tradition.

I am proud of you. Thank you for allowing me to come along this journey with you. I wouldnt trade one minute of this experience for anything.

Dad

It's not about dollars and cents whatsoever. It's about facing the reality (as this player and family did) however difficult that reality may be, that the time has come to move on.

If you are a rink owner or a fledgling Tier III team owner it's all about dollars and cents. And therein lies the conflict.

Anon
It's not about dollars and cents whatsoever. It's about facing the reality (as this player and family did) however difficult that reality may be, that the time has come to move on.
We're talking about 18-20 year old kids, right? Why do you need to impose your reality on them? They will learn about life eventually. Meanwhile, why not keep playing if you still love it and can afford to play? It's essentially a gap year (OK maybe two) for a kid that maybe isn't interested in backpacking around Europe. I still don't understand the hate, these kids are not taking away opportunities from the college prospects. And if it's not for you or your kid, then don't play.

anon
Anon
It\'s not about dollars and cents whatsoever. It\'s about facing the reality (as this player and family did) however difficult that reality may be, that the time has come to move on.
We're talking about 18-20 year old kids, right? Why do you need to impose your reality on them? They will learn about life eventually. Meanwhile, why not keep playing if you still love it and can afford to play? It's essentially a gap year (OK maybe two) for a kid that maybe isn't interested in backpacking around Europe. I still don't understand the hate, these kids are not taking away opportunities from the college prospects. And if it's not for you or your kid, then don't play.
Thank you.

I don't understand why people care how many lower level Juniors programs there are. I also don't understand why people consistently dump on D-III hockey. It seems to revolve around money for the se people. "Pay to Play Juniors are a waste of money." "D-III schools don't offer scholarships." I guess I just. Can't. Relate.

I've said it many times throughout my life. If someone said "you can have five years off from 20 to 25 to do something you're passionate about but you have to work until you're 70," I would have signed up in a heartbeat. Why not enjoy life when you have the energy to do that to the fullest extent possible? But, we didn't have that kind of money. In fact, I didn't have ANY money.

So, if it costs me some cash to let my kid pursue his passion, I'm totally fine with it. It's going to to be my kids' money someday anyway.

I'm specifically replying to the remark regarding Mr. Cox's prospect lists. No one in my family has ever met him and I can assure you we have never paid him. My son does not go to a prep school and does not have a hockey advisor. And yet somehow his name still manages to show up on these lists. So unless there's a fairy godmother out there subsidizing the marketing of my kid I choose to believe that it's his talent that is getting him noticed!

Anony
I'm specifically replying to the remark regarding Mr. Cox's prospect lists. No one in my family has ever met him and I can assure you we have never paid him. My son does not go to a prep school and does not have a hockey advisor. And yet somehow his name still manages to show up on these lists. So unless there's a fairy godmother out there subsidizing the marketing of my kid I choose to believe that it's his talent that is getting him noticed!
Let me guess. He plays for the Boston Advantage. Cox loves pumping up the Boston Advantage players. There are some other E9 org players he likes to pump up as well. Tell us, which org does your boy play on? Then we can figure out the connection easily.

Wrong guess. He doesn't play for any of the supposed "super select" teams; doesn't even play full season. No BA, E9, Fed for Life, USPHL, etc. He chose to stay and play with his friends that he's been with since Mites. So what's the connection?

Anony
Wrong guess. He doesn't play for any of the supposed "super select" teams; doesn't even play full season. No BA, E9, Fed for Life, USPHL, etc. He chose to stay and play with his friends that he's been with since Mites. So what's the connection?
Oh tell me great Dboard. What is the name of this creature?

Name, team, birth year

The ball is in your court now, dad. Please send us a link of the Cox report on your son as well.

I'm pretty sure this board is anonymous for a reason. Too many people here trash talk kids and I'm not about to subject my son to that just because I'm trying to make a point. Suffice it to say that everything I have said is truthful. I will also refer you to a poster's comment made on the "High School Season is coming!" thread on 11/20 at 11:01 am which pretty much sums it all up.

Anony
I'm pretty sure this board is anonymous for a reason. Too many people here trash talk kids and I'm not about to subject my son to that just because I'm trying to make a point. Suffice it to say that everything I have said is truthful. I will also refer you to a poster's comment made on the "High School Season is coming!" thread on 11/20 at 11:01 am which pretty much sums it all up.
:laughing:
You speak out your ass. Why would you bring in the High School Comment? This is about Jeff Cocks posts and how/why they are created.

If you people were as good detectives as you think you are it would be obvious why I brought in that comment.

Anony
If you people were as good detectives as you think you are it would be obvious why I brought in that comment.
I got the post above on Nov 21, 2018 - 4:47PM correct. Your mention of the comment in the High School Comment has me stumped. Please, give me another clue.

Anony
Dollars to doughnuts you either have some impressive lineage / last name or your kid is a roam the ice, puck handling defensemen who has really never played a shift of defense in his life. Nailed it, right? :mag_right:

anon
Anony
Dollars to doughnuts you either have some impressive lineage / last name or your kid is a roam the ice, puck handling defensemen who has really never played a shift of defense in his life. Nailed it, right? :mag_right:
Love these *******s who talk like they know it all about amateur hockey. When in fact, all they do is play the system and push everyone else to the side. Excuse me, pardon me, my kid first. Fact is, most of these clowns who have their kids skate for free while the rest of us pay for it couldn't hold there own if their kid was left to their own merits. Free ride in youth, then free ride in Prep, and then preach to others that the only way to make it is by going the Prep route. I always laugh when I hear their BS in public. I always think, you must be an idiot to think that I believe that.

What? Almost incoherent drivel.

Thank you - I thought it was just me that didn't get that rant.