email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MC another off year?

Not a promising start.

Re: MC another off year?

Take a look at the coach's resume. Should you be even a little surprised?

In his defense, he was kind of left with what they have. They looked bad last night. Really bad. Never had any sort of threat in the offensive end. I think they were credited with 17 shots, but honestly may have had 10 at most.

Its always amazed me how well MC does every year against the other HE schools. Compared to the rest of them MC is like a community college.

Anon
Its always amazed me how well MC does every year against the other HE schools. Compared to the rest of them MC is like a community college.
You realize we're talking about Malden Catholic HS right? Not talking about Merrimack College.

Anon
Anon
You realize we're talking about Malden Catholic HS right? Not talking about Merrimack College.
Haha, you're smarter than I am. I had no idea what he was talking about. I saw HE and of course thought Hockey East, but was trying to think of what that had to do with a HS hockey program.

Wonder if it's still the "NEHJ" guy from the Juniors/College board that's poking around anonymously. We all know what an outspoken critic JC was about how Merrimack handled the firing of the coach. 1 + 1 often does equal 2.

Anon
In his defense, he was kind of left with what they have. They looked bad last night. Really bad. Never had any sort of threat in the offensive end. I think they were credited with 17 shots, but honestly may have had 10 at most.
Isn't that sort of a Catch-22? If they had hired a coach with a better resume, would they have been able to keep or attract more talent?

A private school head coach has to either be a good recruiter, a good politician, or a good developer and tactician. Then he has to hire assistants that are good at what he isn't. If he doesn't understand these things, he has no business holding that position.

I don't think he was hired until September? Not much he could do this year at that point. Just go with whomever he has for the year.

Anon
I don't think he was hired until September? Not much he could do this year at that point. Just go with whomever he has for the year.
True about September, not true about not being able to add kids. This isn't NCAA. A kid can transfer if he wants.

Not many kids or parents are thinking, "Hey school just started, let's apply to MC & so we can transfer in before Thanksgiving!" Could they have? Okay I suppose but it's not realistic and I'm not going to fault him for that.

If your son ever played on one of his tournament teams, you know the man can coach but you also know his downside. The downside is pretty well publicized and I don't see any point in dwelling on that.

To me the real question is "Can he keep his s&*t together and mouth shut so he'll get a chance to recruit and coach the team next year?" My money is on NO.

anon
Not many kids or parents are thinking, "Hey school just started, let's apply to MC & so we can transfer in before Thanksgiving!" Could they have? Okay I suppose but it's not realistic and I'm not going to fault him for that.

If your son ever played on one of his tournament teams, you know the man can coach but you also know his downside. The downside is pretty well publicized and I don't see any point in dwelling on that.

To me the real question is "Can he keep his s&*t together and mouth shut so he'll get a chance to recruit and coach the team next year?" My money is on NO.
It isn't the parents that would be thinking of transferring. It's the coach and his staff's job to go to rinks and recruit.

What you do is you go to split season games and look for players that are skating 3rd or 4th line/pair on a good team. Then you find out where they go to school. Then you make contact with the kid and his parents, find out if they are happy with their winter situation, and see if you can pry them loose. May take 20 contacts to get one kid. 100 contacts could give you a new starting five.

No reason to make excuses for the guy. It's how the game is played.

Anyone know where John McLean ended up?

Who Dat?!
Anyone know where John McLean ended up?
I ran into him at Nakatomi Plaza.

Funny when a catholic stumbles and everyone points to coaching & recruiting. Really validates what some of the top publics (Hingham, Reading, Arlington. . . ) produce year-after-year. So why exactly do the publics have to compete with this contrived 'championship?' Public should be separate from catholic ya think?

Buuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrp

You kidding right? This team will struggle in the next years to come. There is nothing coming up except maybe 1 or 2 players and they will not be able to carry the team. How does this fat boy even skate on the ice and show how its done correctly? Good Luck MC with this one!!! :joy:

He'll be fine recruiting, he's actually a pretty affable guy, and he can coach to a certain degree. His problem is going to be communication with parents & players during the season (which is why he's not a good coach) and the likelihood he'll do or say something that will run afoul of the administration & parents. I don't think he's ever had a run with one team longer than two years from Mites onward & history tends to repeat itself. Too bad he's such a Jekyll & Hyde, nice guy away from the rink but a total dbag in it.

As for the Super 8 whiner, yup they should be separate but they aren't, time for you to get over it.

Burp. Pounded by Braintree

A meltdown is coming. It’s Brewing inside. Meet me at the tailgater for details.

Forget the Super 8. . . start looking at the D-1 title

Maybe try to make tourney before you win it.
Nothing against any team but 10 years ago the good Jv teams would beat most of these teams.
HS hockey has fallen to a new level.

Looking at schedule they will win a max of 4 games on the year.

Oooooof, how the once mighty have fallen

15-1 loss to BC High. That's beyond embarrassing for everyone involved.

Clearly, the coaching move has been a complete disaster as predicted on this board at the season outset.

How do you pick up the pieces here? They're 1-7 with no end in sight. Who's going to come and play for this mess?

anon

Clearly, the coaching move has been a complete disaster as predicted on this board at the season outset.

How do you pick up the pieces here? They're 1-7 with no end in sight. Who's going to come and play for this mess?
Holy crap. That must be a record for the most lopsided score in a CC league game in the history of said league. Embarrassing for sure. Keith Tkachuk must be like wtf?

anon

COACHING?!? it has a 14+ goal differential?

you can't make chicken salad out of chicken $@!&

Smoked today by a Mount team that wouldn't be in top half of D1 in Mass..

Yes.. coaching..