email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I wish HS was good...

Anon
High school hockey was, is and will continue to be the ultimate and final destination for 98% of the half decent youth hockey players in this state. What’s sad is how many helicopter parents have bought into the deal their kids are too good for HS and need to chase an elusive dream by playing FS for teams nobody cares about. This is true for most youth sports sans football and I feel for the kids missing out on the experience of playing with classmates in front of friends just so mom and dad can brag about the superstar trajectory they think their kids are on.
Don't tell that to the Fed Elite parents, they think there little superstar is in the 2%

Correct in first sentence, dead wrong in second one. If a kid wants to play in college the only way he can do that while still playing for his public high school to spend a few years in juniors. Not desirable for every kid. High school coaching has become on par with squirts and peewees. Absolutely terrible. Go watch public high school hockey and you will see a few good players carrying the puck like it’s a youth game again.

There is some very good full season programs in this area that develop players and play good competition across the country.

Pros and cons to both situations. Let your kid defune the path and support him. Personally I would be OK with my kid playing full season as the quality of phockey has declined in high school and the difference in talent levels continues to widen.

Completely agree with the above poster. And yes, public high school hockey is now glorified town bantam B hockey. 98% of the public high school players never played at the EHF elite level. Those kids are playing Prep or full season. The 2% are the kids you see going end to end like Mite hockey are the kids that didn't go the route of Prep or full season and played at higher level clubs. When these kids can't make a tape to tape pass, can't figure out the gap control in the neutral zone or continue to shoot shots at the other teams shin guards it's just not good hockey. Public High School coaches coach 20 games a year. Maybe 23 if they make the tournament. Any good 1/2 season club team plays 35+ games in the months of Aug & Sept.

Anon
Completely agree with the above poster. And yes, public high school hockey is now glorified town bantam B hockey. 98% of the public high school players never played at the EHF elite level. Those kids are playing Prep or full season. The 2% are the kids you see going end to end like Mite hockey are the kids that didn't go the route of Prep or full season and played at higher level clubs. When these kids can't make a tape to tape pass, can't figure out the gap control in the neutral zone or continue to shoot shots at the other teams shin guards it's just not good hockey. Public High School coaches coach 20 games a year. Maybe 23 if they make the tournament. Any good 1/2 season club team plays 35+ games in the months of Aug & Sept.
You don't think there are any EHF Elite players in high school hockey? They are all in prep school? That's funny.

Anon
I really do....unless few top Catholics, just bad....
You post this just as it appears the better C.C. kids have gone full season and now the public schools are taking many of the past top C.C. teams to the wood shed. It might be a changing of the guard.