Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: High School vs Prep School vs Club Team

Wow, great insights from all, thanks for that. So for the prep route, is this a recruiting process (ala they scout the player and contact the parent) or is that more of a marketing exercise. Or is it like a college application, whereby the parent applies the player and they then "start a file" on the player. Also, do prep schools offer hockey scholarships or no?

Others have more insight on the prep process and I'm sure schools differ. My start (and my guess) would be with the kid's club team or split season organization or coach & contact the prep coach for a visit - express your interest. A bit of a marketing exercise. Maybe contact others in the area who have kids playing at your selected schools as to how to navigate the waters.

Most will claim here, no prep aid is financial need only. Others like to crow about how their kids got aid because he's a player. My bet is they stick tightly to the need based.

It is very difficult to give a general suggestion about financial aide in prep schools since every family has different financial background. However, if you can afford SUVs I see in the parking lots of rinks for EHF/E9 Elite games, you cannot receive financial aid from ISL schools. My kids (two) goes to one of them - this is my anecdotal view. I don't know about non-ISL schools.

Crazy idea. Let your player play where he wants to play.

Anony
Wow, great insights from all, thanks for that. So for the prep route, is this a recruiting process (ala they scout the player and contact the parent) or is that more of a marketing exercise. Or is it like a college application, whereby the parent applies the player and they then \"start a file\" on the player. Also, do prep schools offer hockey scholarships or no?
If you are going to go the prep route, do your homework. The process isn't really comparable to finding the right club team. There are really good academic schools, really good hockey schools, and all measures of in-between/combination schools, but they all have different school cultures, so it's key is to find a place where your kid will fit best. You'll need to figure out if you'll focus on day schools or boarding schools, co-ed or single sex. You'll need to determine if you want to aim for schools that are very competitive in their admissions, and whether your kid is good enough athletically to be a difference-maker such that you could shoot for a school that might otherwise be an academic stretch. For boarding schools, you'll need to decide if your kid would live at the school (which may help with admissions) and whether you need financial aid (if not, that will also help with admissions in most schools). Then you need to navigate the hockey part, particularly where your kid is likely to fit in short-term and long term, keeping in mind that situations can be very fluid and unpredictable, especially at schools that accept PGs. (Some schools (particularly ISL schools), don't accept PGs.) And then you'll need to think about what other hockey you'd want apart from the school -- for example, a good split-season club team, which can prove to be a challenging endeavor for a kid who's adapting to a new school, maybe living away from home, maybe now has Saturday classes, etc.

Good luck.

Salisbury 4-2 over BA mix of u16/u18

Empty net goal.....

Heard BA bus was late, and the team did not leave to 8:00 PM last night.

Not bad against the super prep team :joy: :joy:

Bus never showed-they left at 8 and arrived in Toronto at 6AM-and still hung with Salisbury.

So let me get this straight, the woefully inadequate BA mixed team (according to some here) hung with Salisbury on no sleep.

Wow, I should be keep quiet, some people here are spending a lot of money to play prep hockey.

anon
So let me get this straight, the woefully inadequate BA mixed team (according to some here) hung with Salisbury on no sleep.

Wow, I should be keep quiet, some people here are spending a lot of money to play prep hockey.
How much is BA? My son plays public so I pay $350.00 but BA must be around 10K with travel or is that just a rumor?

its $9K and change-you pay travel expenses

Hey, you get what you pay for.

The only scouts at those games are girl scouts.

What kind of cookies do you like?

anon
Hey, you get what you pay for.

The only scouts at those games are girl scouts.

What kind of cookies do you like?
T1EHL games are heavily scouted. More than typical Prep game.

EVERY kid on BA HIGHLY recruited by EVERY local prep. Give it a rest Thad.

Preps are mostly 99’s and 00’s..BA is 02’s. See the big picture buddy. EVERY BA kid has a direct line to the Generals in the NAHL, as a BACKUP plan, AFTER they commit...

Sorry tour kid couldn’t make BA...

Anon

Preps are mostly 99’s and 00’s..BA is 02’s. See the big picture buddy. EVERY BA kid has a direct line to the Generals in the NAHL, as a BACKUP plan, AFTER they commit...

Thanks Joe/Tim...Hope all is well with you both...BTW...its "YOUR" kid...Not "TOUR" kid...

Anon

Why does BA lie more than other other program? The team up at the MacPherson tournament is their u18 and some u16s.

Wrong again. Most all 02’s, an 03 and a few 18s..No sleep. 10 hours in a van, then to the ice. 02s vs 18 and 19 year olds...yeah, BA stinks

How many commits does BA have and how many does Salisbury have? How many does BA have, not including the 3 being announced next week? Right...

Let’s see how Salisbury would do against the kids 3 years younger than them with actual sleep....better yet, let’s see how they do against them this time next year?

Anon
Wrong again. Most all 02’s, an 03 and a few 18s..No sleep. 10 hours in a van, then to the ice. 02s vs 18 and 19 year olds...yeah, BA stinks

How many commits does BA have and how many does Salisbury have? How many does BA have, not including the 3 being announced next week? Right...

Let’s see how Salisbury would do against the kids 3 years younger than them with actual sleep....better yet, let’s see how they do against them this time next year?

BA. LOST. PERIOD.

Anon

10 02’s.. I don’t see any 19 year olds on the roster, but don’t let the facts get in the way of your argument.
https://www.neutralzone.net/prep-mens/team/salisbury-school-28/

Anon
Anon

10 02’s.. I don’t see any 19 year olds on the roster, but don’t let the facts get in the way of your argument.
https://www.neutralzone.net/prep-mens/team/salisbury-school-28/
Do BA people understand that 02’s are juniors in high school? So they are playing against the same age kids in prep. BA had older kids and some juniors. BA lost. But excuses keep coming. Salisbury has 10 02’s.....ten! BA was the older team.

BA lost this morning in overtime to St. Andrews 1-0
St. Andrews is the #1 prep team in Canada

So no, top prep teams would not "annihilate" or beat BA by 10 goals

And no they didn't play as the Baked Beans!!!!!

Anon
BA lost this morning in overtime to St. Andrews 1-0
St. Andrews is the #1 prep team in Canada

So no, top prep teams would not "annihilate" or beat BA by 10 goals

And no they didn't play as the Baked Beans!!!!!
We have to wait until the new rankings come out and we can see if they enter loss as BBB.

So they lost again. Lost to 2 preps, as they should.

Anon
So they lost again. Lost to 2 preps, as they should.
Why is this such an elusive concept for Prep school parents?

Your kid is still getting a great education, but there are better development alternatives out there for the kids that aren't getting very much playing time.

Maybe you should read the posts to your kids, hopefully they are a *bit* smarter.

Let’s get back to commits and college hockey. Let’s discus in a few years and see where kids land.

Anon
Let’s get back to commits and college hockey. Let’s discus in a few years and see where kids land.
Prep will always have more in this area.

But, there are kids playing Prep that may have had choices - if they wanted - by playing FS they won't have playing Prep.

As did Salisbury-what’s your point?

Anon
Anon

Why does BA lie more than other other program? The team up at the MacPherson tournament is their u18 and some u16s.
This seems to be a problem for BA up and down the line at their program. I’ll never understand why they lie.

In this particular case what exactly is the lie that you are referring to?

Anon
In this particular case what exactly is the lie that you are referring to?
"Wrong again. Most all 02’s, an 03 and a few 18s..No sleep. 10 hours in a van, then to the ice. 02s vs 18 and 19 year olds...yeah, BA stinks

Let’s see how Salisbury would do against the kids 3 years younger than them with actual sleep....better yet, let’s see how they do against them this time next year? "

Salisbury has ten 02's. BA had their u18s up there along with U16 fill ins so in fact BA was the older team.

BA's roster from St. Andrews with birth years from Elite Prospects

2003's - 1
2002's - 12
2001's - 4
2000's - 6

BA was not older than Salisbury

Fact not Opinion
BA's roster from St. Andrews with birth years from Elite Prospects

2003's - 1
2002's - 12
2001's - 4
2000's - 6

BA was not older than Salisbury
Salisbury had:
00- 7
01 - 8
02 - 10

Teams are roughly same age. No one cares. BA wasnt playing up.

You 2 should get a room

I guess it was inevitable that this thread would turn into a d!ck measuring contest. It's equivalent to the E9/EHF debate on the youth board.

You are both right if it fits for your kid. You are both right if you kid is happy and progressing. At the end, that's what's important, no? There is no single path to work your way to the next level so choose what you think supports your player best understanding that for most, the path ends before your player is ready.

lets hear from one of the prep tire pumpers so they can explain how this could possibly happen.

BTW-saw Salisbury manhandle KUA at the Flood Marr-3-0 game that easily could of been double that

Very competitive game by both teams
Back and forth with each team dominating at times

Let's see how BA does the remainder of the weekend

anon
lets hear from one of the prep tire pumpers so they can explain how this could possibly happen.

BTW-saw Salisbury manhandle KUA at the Flood Marr-3-0 game that easily could of been double that
Well my guess would be there was a hockey game between 2 teams and the prep school beat BA 4-2. That means that the prep school scored 4 times and BA scored only 2 times.
So I pay 10k per year for education and hockey and our teams win. All sounds good to me, but hey at least you can say “ we only lost by 2”.

"Top prep teams would beat them by 10 goals"

"Top half of prep teams would annihilate BA"

"BA Tier 1 teams wouldn't stand a chance vs. prep teams"

Guess not

anon
"Top prep teams would beat them by 10 goals"

"Top half of prep teams would annihilate BA"

"BA Tier 1 teams wouldn't stand a chance vs. prep teams"

Guess not
Who won the game? BA was the best loser, does that make you feel better? You get a trophy and you get a trophy..cmon man

Anon
anon
\"Top prep teams would beat them by 10 goals\"

\"Top half of prep teams would annihilate BA\"

\"BA Tier 1 teams wouldn\'t stand a chance vs. prep teams\"

Guess not
Who won the game? BA was the best loser, does that make you feel better? You get a trophy and you get a trophy..cmon man
I don't think it was about who won and lost. Free life lesson for you - it rarely is.

Fact is, local T1EHL and top USPHL U15 through U18 offer a legit alternative to Prep, especially below Top Prep. Level of play at most Prep schools isn't impressive (that doesn't mean it isn't a good education). But, even at the top schools, why be a 3rd or 4th line/pair player fighting for scraps? Top two lines/pairs get 90% of the ice time. They roll the lines at FS teams, much more than in Top Prep today.

Plus, you are getting consistent coaching, practice and game time for seven months, not three.

My kid has played both T1EHL and Top Prep. The games are different. T1EHL is speed, mistakes are in the net, Top Prep is much more physical. My kid's a more physical player, which is why we switched. It suits his game better.

Local T1EHL teams are lacking a little, because everyone thinks of Prep as the best route, but the level of competition is much stronger, every week. Your kid will be playing against way more NTDP, D-I and draft prospects.

Top Prep is still the Big Dog for the sure thing D-I type player. For the next tier down, FS offers better development and exposure.

Glad you waited until the hitting started

Here's some reality for all the dream chasers. You can look at ANY 'select' or 'junior' program around and if you go back to their previous teams rosters, you can find out where the kids that played U16-u18-juniors AND Prep 3-5 years ago that are now 19-21 years old, are now playing... or in most cases... NOT playing. For example I took 5 minutes to pull up the 2014-2015 BA team to find out where they 'placed' their elite players www.eliteprospects.com/team/8701/boston-advantage-u16/2014-2015.

And it's just not BA, it's ANY team. They all have the same or similar results. Follow the money, i mean the path to college hockey. Ha. In case you don't want to look it up. 22 kids on roster. 4 playing NCAA Div III (as 20 year old underclassman..at schools like Johnson and Wales and Salem State..LOL), 3 playing ACHA Club hockey, 8 no longer playing or aged out, 6 still holding onto the dream in NAHL or EHLP. ONE PLAYER ON A DIV I College roster as a backup goalie with NO STATS. Bottom line, keep playing full season, half season, all season, junior, select, tier i elite hockey to end up in the same place. Out of hockey or playing club at 20 years old. However, you are spending $50K over 5-6 years to learn that lesson the hard way. You can pull any team up on elite prospects. You'll get the same results. Keep living the dream. :grimacing:

Anon
Here's some reality for all the dream chasers. You can look at ANY 'select' or 'junior' program around and if you go back to their previous teams rosters, you can find out where the kids that played U16-u18-juniors AND Prep 3-5 years ago that are now 19-21 years old, are now playing... or in most cases... NOT playing. For example I took 5 minutes to pull up the 2014-2015 BA team to find out where they 'placed' their elite players www.eliteprospects.com/team/8701/boston-advantage-u16/2014-2015.

And it's just not BA, it's ANY team. They all have the same or similar results. Follow the money, i mean the path to college hockey. Ha. In case you don't want to look it up. 22 kids on roster. 4 playing NCAA Div III (as 20 year old underclassman..at schools like Johnson and Wales and Salem State..LOL), 3 playing ACHA Club hockey, 8 no longer playing or aged out, 6 still holding onto the dream in NAHL or EHLP. ONE PLAYER ON A DIV I College roster as a backup goalie with NO STATS. Bottom line, keep playing full season, half season, all season, junior, select, tier i elite hockey to end up in the same place. Out of hockey or playing club at 20 years old. However, you are spending $50K over 5-6 years to learn that lesson the hard way. You can pull any team up on elite prospects. You'll get the same results. Keep living the dream. :grimacing:
So your whole point is, parents should refuse to help their kids pursue something they are good at, and passionate about at 15 because, they're just going to stop playing in 3 - 5 years anyway?

Great advice. Get them jobs in the mill while you're at it, they're just going to be underemployed when they get out of college anyway.

or spend $60K to get them into salem state at 21 when they could do the same at their local hs for $0. More than half of these players end up in CLUB/ACHA. Which you can do right out of HS. I'm saying look at the odds. More than a longshot if someone does the research. I'm saying a longshot for Div I. Never mind playing at a Div III school which about 1 in 4 "junior" players end up. Most, end up aged out or ACHA. Ya, help your kid if he's 'good' at hockey. But realize you're going to spend $50K and he's going to be playing club hockey with a kid straight out of Needham HS.

Anon
or spend $60K to get them into salem state at 21 when they could do the same at their local hs for $0. More than half of these players end up in CLUB/ACHA. Which you can do right out of HS. I'm saying look at the odds. More than a longshot if someone does the research. I'm saying a longshot for Div I. Never mind playing at a Div III school which about 1 in 4 "junior" players end up. Most, end up aged out or ACHA. Ya, help your kid if he's 'good' at hockey. But realize you're going to spend $50K and he's going to be playing club hockey with a kid straight out of Needham HS.
Which half are going Club? Do you know at 15?

Want to save some money? Don't buy or lease a new car every 3-5 years. I guarantee you it will go down in value every year you own it. Sure bet.

Wait, what? That's different? Is it?

Oh, because that's about YOU.

Let people decide for themselves how to spend their money. I choose to drive a six year old car. So, we're paying about the same in total for hockey and a car. But, my kid's still pursuing his dream. HIS dream.

Plus, my car's probably STILL nicer than yours.

Spot on. Ever hear it’s about the journey, not the destination? I feel bad for you if you don’t live your life that way. I also feel bad that you think playing a sport is only about a pre-determined outcome. It’s an investment in your passion and fun, nothing more. No different than boating or golf. Both hobbies are expensive and yield negative returns, like most things in life.

MY kid like to play club because HE enjoys it and it’s absolutely better than the local science teacher and vapers on the team. HE likes to work hard and play with like minded kids. Sorry you think your townie belief system is the only right one. For each is own.

Is club pricey? Yes. Is it tiring traveling? It can be. Does my kid like it? You bet. Do my wife and I like that he has a goal, is focused and dedicated to something he loves? Absolutely! Do I care that I drop $10k a year on it? Not really. I work hard for a reason and from what I hear you can’t take it with you.

Sorry you are a miserable cheapskate.