Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hockey Advisors

Depends..we are from Western, MA which is pretty weak when it comes to exposure. We reached out to an advisor for advice, etc..he came out, watched a few games when my sons team played better teams to make it worth his time, liked what he saw and helped him get into prep this past year and has placed him a very good spring/summer team. Considering where we live, we are very happy with the outcome. My son was a 5' 8" forward, skilled player and has improved over the past 2 years. Our advisor checks in once or twice a week after games and to check on grades..Oh and we haven't paid him anything other than dinner a some beers.

anon
Depends..we are from Western, MA which is pretty weak when it comes to exposure. We reached out to an advisor for advice, etc..he came out, watched a few games when my sons team played better teams to make it worth his time, liked what he saw and helped him get into prep this past year and has placed him a very good spring/summer team. Considering where we live, we are very happy with the outcome. My son was a 5' 8" forward, skilled player and has improved over the past 2 years. Our advisor checks in once or twice a week after games and to check on grades..Oh and we haven't paid him anything other than dinner a some beers.
So then you are violating NCAA rules and possibly setting him up for some violations?

anon
anon
Depends..we are from Western, MA which is pretty weak when it comes to exposure. We reached out to an advisor for advice, etc..he came out, watched a few games when my sons team played better teams to make it worth his time, liked what he saw and helped him get into prep this past year and has placed him a very good spring/summer team. Considering where we live, we are very happy with the outcome. My son was a 5\' 8\" forward, skilled player and has improved over the past 2 years. Our advisor checks in once or twice a week after games and to check on grades..Oh and we haven\'t paid him anything other than dinner a some beers.
So then you are violating NCAA rules and possibly setting him up for some violations?
Like he said, they are from Western Ma. No one cares what happens in Western Ma. Do they even have hockey teams in Western MA?

anon
anon
Depends..we are from Western, MA which is pretty weak when it comes to exposure. We reached out to an advisor for advice, etc..he came out, watched a few games when my sons team played better teams to make it worth his time, liked what he saw and helped him get into prep this past year and has placed him a very good spring/summer team. Considering where we live, we are very happy with the outcome. My son was a 5\' 8\" forward, skilled player and has improved over the past 2 years. Our advisor checks in once or twice a week after games and to check on grades..Oh and we haven\'t paid him anything other than dinner a some beers.
People, please read the following article and educate yourself with the current rules. Article is from January 2018...

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/20/16911646/ncaa-rules-agents-hockey-baseball-football-basketball

anon
anon
Turns out he's not a hockey advisor, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn, so its all ok.

There are two types of advisors. NHL agents who seek to advise top players. There is no contract, no fees. These are "informal" relationships. Agents cast a wide net over younger kids with the goal that some number will come out the other end and be professional players that the agent would then represent.

The paid for advisors do this for a living and are not typically NHL agents.

If your kid is good enough, he would have an NHL agent advisor by now and you wouldn't be wondering if he were good enough for the USHL. You would know. If you have not had anyone approach you, be real honest with yourself about how good your kid is and how much money you want to spend chasing the dream.

anon
There are two types of advisors. NHL agents who seek to advise top players. There is no contract, no fees. These are "informal" relationships. Agents cast a wide net over younger kids with the goal that some number will come out the other end and be professional players that the agent would then represent.

The paid for advisors do this for a living and are not typically NHL agents.

If your kid is good enough, he would have an NHL agent advisor by now and you wouldn't be wondering if he were good enough for the USHL. You would know. If you have not had anyone approach you, be real honest with yourself about how good your kid is and how much money you want to spend chasing the dream.
This is exactly it in a nut shell

Depends on how old the OP's kid is. If your kid has already been eligible for one Phase II draft AND nobody has reached out, then I agree with other posters. If the kid is still in middle school, then obviously give it some time before you hang up the dream.

Anon
Depends on how old the OP's kid is. If your kid has already been eligible for one Phase II draft AND nobody has reached out, then I agree with other posters. If the kid is still in middle school, then obviously give it some time before you hang up the dream.
Thanks for stating the obvious. You might as well have included mites and squirts as well.

Yeah if your kids only six it's not over for him yet. Hang in there.