High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Scholarships

Anon
Confused guy here again

But if you defer, that means you accepted an offer which means you can’t levearge next year bc you already accepted, no?

Would love to discuss with you offline as my guy sounds very similar to yours

Not sure how one does that here on the dboard without giving up sensitive info
i think you are confused because you think athletic deals are the same as merit. they are not. nearly all (my children's were) merit scholarships/acceptances can be deferred for a year: you have to make a deposit - typically $500 (all were under $1k). so a prospective student can 'experience the world' or play juniors. then they can enter that school the following year with the merit scholarship or re/apply to others: they can't force you to attend, you lose the deposit.

the challenge is if you use the merit then defer route and want to play v sports. you are taking a chance the coach would lose interest, leaving you with the school and money but no place to play.

Not so confused guy here. My kid got a coaches support from NESCAC before ED. So I know how the system works.

Basically you are trying to maximize the chance of walk-in by deferring one year? Or are you trying to get a commitment from coaches before your son decide to take a year off after RD? Either way it's ceative thoughts. Did the advisor suggest it?

Anon
Not so confused guy here. My kid got a coaches support from NESCAC before ED. So I know how the system works.

Basically you are trying to maximize the chance of walk-in by deferring one year? Or are you trying to get a commitment from coaches before your son decide to take a year off after RD? Either way it's ceative thoughts. Did the advisor suggest it?

Both. If we can get a commitment by May 1, great. If not, we'll take our chances that he will gain notice playing junior and get a commitment next year at this time.

He has to decide on one school by May 1, and now that we have the admissions decisions we are in the process of leveraging those to have conversations with the hockey coaches.

Our advisor told us from the start it's really difficult for him or us to contact the coaches directly. Kids are much better off getting noticed and being recruited than trying to gain their attention by phone or e-mail. I smile when posters advise families to have their kid contact the coach. They get hundreds of e-mails and phone calls. It just doesn't work any more.

We're finding it's actually easier to cut through the clutter by going through the admission department. We have several Showcases and Combines in April, and we can direct the coaches to those.

If we get a commitment, or at least a sense they are more than casually interested in him as a hockey player, we'll send them the $500 May 1.

Absent a commitment by May 1, we'll choose the school that we think offers the best combination of a real opportunity to play (that requires we be realistic about our kid, by the way, which we are), and the academics my kid is looking for. We know who that #1 choice is, but we also have a strong #2, and #3 through #6 are great choices, too, with several precincts not yet having reported.

Our advisor also told us, it's actually more likely he will be playing at a school different from the one we choose May 1. If that's the case, he'll have to re-apply, but that shouldn't be a problem. Especially since, at that point, we'd have a commitment.

At the end of the day, it would be easier if he were already playing Junior at the level that the coaches are looking at. We had contracts to do that last summer, but he couldn't without it interfering with his Senior Year. So, we had to work together to develop a different strategy. Create a market. Leverage the schools against each other, improving the likelihood of getting the school we want.

Confused guy here again

I am a lot less confused

Thanks for the info and good luck to you and your son

One last less confused question

Any chance you share who your advisor is?

Lot of bad ones out there but he seems like he was worth it

Thanks

anon
One last less confused question

Any chance you share who your advisor is?

Lot of bad ones out there but he seems like he was worth it

Thanks
Sorry. Like your request to somehow get in touch, not in this cesspool. Just isn't possible.

Anon
Anon

Basically you are trying to maximize the chance of walk-in by deferring one year? Or are you trying to get a commitment from coaches before your son decide to take a year off after RD? Either way it\'s ceative thoughts. Did the advisor suggest it?

Both. If we can get a commitment by May 1, great. If not, we'll take our chances that he will gain notice playing junior and get a commitment next year at this time.

He has to decide on one school by May 1, and now that we have the admissions decisions we are in the process of leveraging those to have conversations with the hockey coaches.

Our advisor told us from the start it's really difficult for him or us to contact the coaches directly. Kids are much better off getting noticed and being recruited than trying to gain their attention by phone or e-mail. I smile when posters advise families to have their kid contact the coach. They get hundreds of e-mails and phone calls. It just doesn't work any more.

We're finding it's actually easier to cut through the clutter by going through the admission department. We have several Showcases and Combines in April, and we can direct the coaches to those.

If we get a commitment, or at least a sense they are more than casually interested in him as a hockey player, we'll send them the $500 May 1.

Absent a commitment by May 1, we'll choose the school that we think offers the best combination of a real opportunity to play (that requires we be realistic about our kid, by the way, which we are), and the academics my kid is looking for. We know who that #1 choice is, but we also have a strong #2, and #3 through #6 are great choices, too, with several precincts not yet having reported.

Our advisor also told us, it's actually more likely he will be playing at a school different from the one we choose May 1. If that's the case, he'll have to re-apply, but that shouldn't be a problem. Especially since, at that point, we'd have a commitment.

At the end of the day, it would be easier if he were already playing Junior at the level that the coaches are looking at. We had contracts to do that last summer, but he couldn't without it interfering with his Senior Year. So, we had to work together to develop a different strategy. Create a market. Leverage the schools against each other, improving the likelihood of getting the school we want.
Your kid has a long ways to go before he actually takes the ice with any DI program, in a year or two you will realize it.

Anon
Anon
Anon

Basically you are trying to maximize the chance of walk-in by deferring one year? Or are you trying to get a commitment from coaches before your son decide to take a year off after RD? Either way it\\\'s ceative thoughts. Did the advisor suggest it?

Both. If we can get a commitment by May 1, great. If not, we\'ll take our chances that he will gain notice playing junior and get a commitment next year at this time.

Our advisor told us from the start it\'s really difficult for him or us to contact the coaches directly. Kids are much better off getting noticed and being recruited than trying to gain their attention by phone or e-mail. I smile when posters advise families to have their kid contact the coach. They get hundreds of e-mails and phone calls. It just doesn\'t work any more.

We\'re finding it\'s actually easier to cut through the clutter by going through the admission department. We have several Showcases and Combines in April, and we can direct the coaches to those.

If we get a commitment, or at least a sense they are more than casually interested in him as a hockey player, we\'ll send them the $500 May 1.

Absent a commitment by May 1, we\'ll choose the school that we think offers the best combination of a real opportunity to play (that requires we be realistic about our kid, by the way, which we are), and the academics my kid is looking for. We know who that #1 choice is, but we also have a strong #2, and #3 through #6 are great choices, too, with several precincts not yet having reported.

Our advisor also told us, it\'s actually more likely he will be playing at a school different from the one we choose May 1. If that\'s the case, he\'ll have to re-apply, but that shouldn\'t be a problem. Especially since, at that point, we\'d have a commitment.

At the end of the day, it would be easier if he were already playing Junior at the level that the coaches are looking at. We had contracts to do that last summer, but he couldn\'t without it interfering with his Senior Year. So, we had to work together to develop a different strategy. Create a market. Leverage the schools against each other, improving the likelihood of getting the school we want.
Your kid has a long ways to go before he actually takes the ice with any DI program, in a year or two you will realize it.
Thanks for your concern. You missed the central point of the thread. He is getting basically a 2 for 4 from D-III schools, as a merit scholarship. What percent of D-I commits are getting 2 for 4s?

I don't think I have anything I'm not realizing. I said D-I was a possibility, but not likely. I'd put the odds at less than 10%. In 12 - 18 months that'll be clearer. But, he also isn't the kind of kid that wants to sit in English 101 with 300 of his closest friends or have a roommate that is majoring in Fisheries Management.

I think he and I both agree, that he'd rather stay in NE and play for a strong D-III program where he can get the degree(s) he wants than to play in some low-level D-I program from a no-name school just to say he played D-I.

You act like getting 50% off an inflated list price for colleges is some great discount. Good students get that from schools if they are a good student. They know they have to compete with state schools so that's all they are doing. Getting down into the range of in state tuition.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

Basically you are trying to maximize the chance of walk-in by deferring one year? Or are you trying to get a commitment from coaches before your son decide to take a year off after RD? Either way it\\\\\\\'s ceative thoughts. Did the advisor suggest it?

Both. If we can get a commitment by May 1, great. If not, we\\\'ll take our chances that he will gain notice playing junior and get a commitment next year at this time.

Our advisor told us from the start it\\\'s really difficult for him or us to contact the coaches directly. Kids are much better off getting noticed and being recruited than trying to gain their attention by phone or e-mail. I smile when posters advise families to have their kid contact the coach. They get hundreds of e-mails and phone calls. It just doesn\\\'t work any more.

We\\\'re finding it\\\'s actually easier to cut through the clutter by going through the admission department. We have several Showcases and Combines in April, and we can direct the coaches to those.

If we get a commitment, or at least a sense they are more than casually interested in him as a hockey player, we\\\'ll send them the $500 May 1.

Absent a commitment by May 1, we\\\'ll choose the school that we think offers the best combination of a real opportunity to play (that requires we be realistic about our kid, by the way, which we are), and the academics my kid is looking for. We know who that #1 choice is, but we also have a strong #2, and #3 through #6 are great choices, too, with several precincts not yet having reported.

Our advisor also told us, it\\\'s actually more likely he will be playing at a school different from the one we choose May 1. If that\\\'s the case, he\\\'ll have to re-apply, but that shouldn\\\'t be a problem. Especially since, at that point, we\\\'d have a commitment.

At the end of the day, it would be easier if he were already playing Junior at the level that the coaches are looking at. We had contracts to do that last summer, but he couldn\\\'t without it interfering with his Senior Year. So, we had to work together to develop a different strategy. Create a market. Leverage the schools against each other, improving the likelihood of getting the school we want.
Thanks for your concern. You missed the central point of the thread. He is getting basically a 2 for 4 from D-III schools, as a merit scholarship. What percent of D-I commits are getting 2 for 4s?

I don't think I have anything I'm not realizing. I said D-I was a possibility, but not likely. I'd put the odds at less than 10%. In 12 - 18 months that'll be clearer. But, he also isn't the kind of kid that wants to sit in English 101 with 300 of his closest friends or have a roommate that is majoring in Fisheries Management.

I think he and I both agree, that he'd rather stay in NE and play for a strong D-III program where he can get the degree(s) he wants than to play in some low-level D-I program from a no-name school just to say he played D-I.
So what "low-level DI programs" are interested in your kid?? Would like to know what you consider "low-level"? Sounds to me that your kid is barely on any DI program radar.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

Basically you are trying to maximize the chance of walk-in by deferring one year? Or are you trying to get a commitment from coaches before your son decide to take a year off after RD? Either way it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s ceative thoughts. Did the advisor suggest it?

Both. If we can get a commitment by May 1, great. If not, we\\\\\\\'ll take our chances that he will gain notice playing junior and get a commitment next year at this time.

Our advisor told us from the start it\\\\\\\'s really difficult for him or us to contact the coaches directly. Kids are much better off getting noticed and being recruited than trying to gain their attention by phone or e-mail. I smile when posters advise families to have their kid contact the coach. They get hundreds of e-mails and phone calls. It just doesn\\\\\\\'t work any more.

We\\\\\\\'re finding it\\\\\\\'s actually easier to cut through the clutter by going through the admission department. We have several Showcases and Combines in April, and we can direct the coaches to those.

If we get a commitment, or at least a sense they are more than casually interested in him as a hockey player, we\\\\\\\'ll send them the $500 May 1.

Absent a commitment by May 1, we\\\\\\\'ll choose the school that we think offers the best combination of a real opportunity to play (that requires we be realistic about our kid, by the way, which we are), and the academics my kid is looking for. We know who that #1 choice is, but we also have a strong #2, and #3 through #6 are great choices, too, with several precincts not yet having reported.

Our advisor also told us, it\\\\\\\'s actually more likely he will be playing at a school different from the one we choose May 1. If that\\\\\\\'s the case, he\\\\\\\'ll have to re-apply, but that shouldn\\\\\\\'t be a problem. Especially since, at that point, we\\\\\\\'d have a commitment.

At the end of the day, it would be easier if he were already playing Junior at the level that the coaches are looking at. We had contracts to do that last summer, but he couldn\\\\\\\'t without it interfering with his Senior Year. So, we had to work together to develop a different strategy. Create a market. Leverage the schools against each other, improving the likelihood of getting the school we want.

I don\'t think I have anything I\'m not realizing. I said D-I was a possibility, but not likely. I\'d put the odds at less than 10%. In 12 - 18 months that\'ll be clearer. But, he also isn\'t the kind of kid that wants to sit in English 101 with 300 of his closest friends or have a roommate that is majoring in Fisheries Management.

I think he and I both agree, that he\'d rather stay in NE and play for a strong D-III program where he can get the degree(s) he wants than to play in some low-level D-I program from a no-name school just to say he played D-I.
So what "low-level DI programs" are interested in your kid?? Would like to know what you consider "low-level"? Sounds to me that your kid is barely on any DI program radar.
Arizona State, Bentley and Penn State.

anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

Basically you are trying to maximize the chance of walk-in by deferring one year? Or are you trying to get a commitment from coaches before your son decide to take a year off after RD? Either way it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s ceative thoughts. Did the advisor suggest it?

Both. If we can get a commitment by May 1, great. If not, we\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ll take our chances that he will gain notice playing junior and get a commitment next year at this time.

Our advisor told us from the start it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s really difficult for him or us to contact the coaches directly. Kids are much better off getting noticed and being recruited than trying to gain their attention by phone or e-mail. I smile when posters advise families to have their kid contact the coach. They get hundreds of e-mails and phone calls. It just doesn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t work any more.

We\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re finding it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s actually easier to cut through the clutter by going through the admission department. We have several Showcases and Combines in April, and we can direct the coaches to those.

If we get a commitment, or at least a sense they are more than casually interested in him as a hockey player, we\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ll send them the $500 May 1.

Absent a commitment by May 1, we\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ll choose the school that we think offers the best combination of a real opportunity to play (that requires we be realistic about our kid, by the way, which we are), and the academics my kid is looking for. We know who that #1 choice is, but we also have a strong #2, and #3 through #6 are great choices, too, with several precincts not yet having reported.

Our advisor also told us, it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s actually more likely he will be playing at a school different from the one we choose May 1. If that\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s the case, he\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ll have to re-apply, but that shouldn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t be a problem. Especially since, at that point, we\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'d have a commitment.

At the end of the day, it would be easier if he were already playing Junior at the level that the coaches are looking at. We had contracts to do that last summer, but he couldn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t without it interfering with his Senior Year. So, we had to work together to develop a different strategy. Create a market. Leverage the schools against each other, improving the likelihood of getting the school we want.

I don\\\'t think I have anything I\\\'m not realizing. I said D-I was a possibility, but not likely. I\\\'d put the odds at less than 10%. In 12 - 18 months that\\\'ll be clearer. But, he also isn\\\'t the kind of kid that wants to sit in English 101 with 300 of his closest friends or have a roommate that is majoring in Fisheries Management.

I think he and I both agree, that he\\\'d rather stay in NE and play for a strong D-III program where he can get the degree(s) he wants than to play in some low-level D-I program from a no-name school just to say he played D-I.
So what \"low-level DI programs\" are interested in your kid?? Would like to know what you consider \"low-level\"? Sounds to me that your kid is barely on any DI program radar.
Penn State isn't a low-level program, your a bit ignorant on this stuff.

Anon
anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

Basically you are trying to maximize the chance of walk-in by deferring one year? Or are you trying to get a commitment from coaches before your son decide to take a year off after RD? Either way it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s ceative thoughts. Did the advisor suggest it?

Both. If we can get a commitment by May 1, great. If not, we\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ll take our chances that he will gain notice playing junior and get a commitment next year at this time.

Our advisor told us from the start it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s really difficult for him or us to contact the coaches directly. Kids are much better off getting noticed and being recruited than trying to gain their attention by phone or e-mail. I smile when posters advise families to have their kid contact the coach. They get hundreds of e-mails and phone calls. It just doesn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t work any more.

We\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re finding it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s actually easier to cut through the clutter by going through the admission department. We have several Showcases and Combines in April, and we can direct the coaches to those.

If we get a commitment, or at least a sense they are more than casually interested in him as a hockey player, we\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ll send them the $500 May 1.

Absent a commitment by May 1, we\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ll choose the school that we think offers the best combination of a real opportunity to play (that requires we be realistic about our kid, by the way, which we are), and the academics my kid is looking for. We know who that #1 choice is, but we also have a strong #2, and #3 through #6 are great choices, too, with several precincts not yet having reported.

Our advisor also told us, it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s actually more likely he will be playing at a school different from the one we choose May 1. If that\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s the case, he\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ll have to re-apply, but that shouldn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t be a problem. Especially since, at that point, we\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'d have a commitment.

At the end of the day, it would be easier if he were already playing Junior at the level that the coaches are looking at. We had contracts to do that last summer, but he couldn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t without it interfering with his Senior Year. So, we had to work together to develop a different strategy. Create a market. Leverage the schools against each other, improving the likelihood of getting the school we want.

I don\\\\\\\'t think I have anything I\\\\\\\'m not realizing. I said D-I was a possibility, but not likely. I\\\\\\\'d put the odds at less than 10%. In 12 - 18 months that\\\\\\\'ll be clearer. But, he also isn\\\\\\\'t the kind of kid that wants to sit in English 101 with 300 of his closest friends or have a roommate that is majoring in Fisheries Management.

I think he and I both agree, that he\\\\\\\'d rather stay in NE and play for a strong D-III program where he can get the degree(s) he wants than to play in some low-level D-I program from a no-name school just to say he played D-I.
So what \\\"low-level DI programs\\\" are interested in your kid?? Would like to know what you consider \\\"low-level\\\"? Sounds to me that your kid is barely on any DI program radar.
Penn State isn't a low-level program, your a bit ignorant on this stuff.
That was an imposter. You were duped. Of course, he was lower case "anon," but I'm sure that's a level of detail that escaped you.

But, you deserved it. Why would you put someone's kid down that you don't know? Do you feel better about yourself? About your kid?

I've been trying to help others that, like me, may not have been aware that the merit scholarship path is what it is.

I already said my kid is on a team that doesn't get scouted so he could finish school. It remains to be seen what the "market" reaction will be 12 - 18 months from now. I also said educationally he prefers a smaller school.

Now, go back to the Kiddie Board and rip on 10 year olds.

Three of the older teams on college hockey as well. Get ready for two years of juniors at least.