Visit The DBoard Online Store - https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lovell “showcase”

Does pimping the baby blue ever stop? Shameless. Not even the regions top players....money talks though I guess

Re: Lovell “showcase”

Pimping? How about promoting! Say what you want about TL, the guy just keeps placing kids in college. Whether you like the guy or not, give a little credit where credit is due!

Agree. Oldest son won a lot of EHF games but moved over to BA years ago. Learned to skate, learned to play and developed as a player. Sitting with TL one day I asked him if he thought the boy should play in college and he said 'yes.' Asked me where he wanted to play and he picked up the phone that moment and started making calls to coaches right in front of me. Son played four years at his target school - not a lot to hate there.

If that is true than BA should be the destination for every player. My son played U16 in USPHL and the only question anyone asked the kids was, "are you paid already?". No college talk, none, nada.

Let’s be clear about a lot of things here. The promotional machine is at work meaning there are a fair amount of commits but when you dig into them, including his own kid, they are like full pays or one for one for fours. The majority of those kids will never really see D1 playing time including his own kid. Plus, getting in at the tail end and playing a few games and then going to the USHL or hockey east is nothing he can really fully take credit for.

My sons skates there and yes they do a nice job. And they absolutely do way more than most programs when it comes to promoting. Just don’t kid yourself that he does this for just anyone. It comes with a price. Have to be in the mix at BA for a long time paying very large checks so he can drive his nice little Porsche or like other programs he jumps on the bandwagon of the good players and claims them as kids he developed.

The kid from Hingham who is out in Michigan right now lighting it up and even being moved up to the u18 team used to do his skills. Wait-and-see, once he commits TL will fire up the engine and claim his development as well because he showed up every once in a while on a Wednesday night and other combines.

Anon
Let’s be clear about a lot of things here. The promotional machine is at work meaning there are a fair amount of commits but when you dig into them, including his own kid, they are like full pays or one for one for fours. The majority of those kids will never really see D1 playing time including his own kid. Plus, getting in at the tail end and playing a few games and then going to the USHL or hockey east is nothing he can really fully take credit for.

My sons skates there and yes they do a nice job. And they absolutely do way more than most programs when it comes to promoting. Just don’t kid yourself that he does this for just anyone. It comes with a price. Have to be in the mix at BA for a long time paying very large checks so he can drive his nice little Porsche or like other programs he jumps on the bandwagon of the good players and claims them as kids he developed.

The kid from Hingham who is out in Michigan right now lighting it up and even being moved up to the u18 team used to do his skills. Wait-and-see, once he commits TL will fire up the engine and claim his development as well because he showed up every once in a while on a Wednesday night and other combines.

Some of this is accurate, but the overall tone is incorrect.

First, the TL commits, from the Generals and BA, are as legit as anyone's out there. Sure some of those kids aren't can't miss D1, but verbals are all like that.

The larger point is the TL is the best development engine for college players in New England and it's not close. The numbers back it up as well his obvious connections. Some of the players who have verbals, then signed and are now playing are off the radar kids who TL made it for them, Fact.

You are correct in that TL won't do this for anyone. He has his favorites and his special club. Best to get into it at young age and yes, that means $$$.

But if you're committed to him, he's loyal, connected and will make your kid a player.

And.. I highly doubt he "claims" MB for his own. Kid never played there, is friendly with him, but has no real hockey connection. I can't think of anyone else he's claimed as a Lovell kid that truly wasn't. Name one?

You guys still buy into the fact that a coach or organization "develops" your player? Your kid needs the right combination of athletic ability and drive to succeed. Which drills to work on is a very small part of achieving that success. You pay for all of the ice, the kid works his butt off, and he could be almost anywhere on any sheet of ice and still achieve his goals.

The point is that TL has the ability to get real looks and real commits for his BA and Generals kids. Only a part of that is on ice development. The larger component when you enter U16-20 range is TL's ability to see a kid who has potential and get the right schools on them. He does that. Clearly, he can't make a bad player a great one, but he can take one with some drive, ability and a some money to D1. There's about a dozen examples in the last couple years.

Please. It's common knowledge loyalty - as in writing checks for many years - is rewarded more than ability. It's why he doesn't publish rosters or game sheets at the U16/U18 level. That gives him control. They have to come to him, so that he can decide who gets opportunities and who doesn't.

And there are far better development opportunities out there. You just have to know how to make the right connections (and pay of course).

Sure you secretly know the best way. . . but don't tell everyone.

Sure you secretly know the best way. . . but don't tell everyone.

Great developer and promoter if wearing the right colors and he can squeeze the money out of you. It’s all about the blue kool-aid with him. Totally ignores kids from Giants FS teams, some who are better than what he has in the BA world. Bad business practice but true. JL sees it a little different and will give anyone a shot. Good players from his other orgs left to go Prep, CC or other FS programs because they wore orange, green or royal blue vs black and baby blue. Fact. He should be looking to develop his whole enterprise. Currently he’s not. That’s a fact.

I'd say that's fairly accurate, but you have to count the Gens kids as well as BA. Since Tim and Joe have taken over, kids are getting placed everywhere.

I count 17 players that have D1 commits that have gone thru the Lovell's the past couple years. That's a pretty remarkable number. Especially if you factor in these kids were not real top blue chip recruits at 14-15.

Whose even in 2nd place with that number? SSK? Jr. Bruins? I don't think you can find 17 commits among every other midget/jr program combined.

anon
I'd say that's fairly accurate, but you have to count the Gens kids as well as BA. Since Tim and Joe have taken over, kids are getting placed everywhere.

I count 17 players that have D1 commits that have gone thru the Lovell's the past couple years. That's a pretty remarkable number. Especially if you factor in these kids were not real top blue chip recruits at 14-15.

Whose even in 2nd place with that number? SSK? Jr. Bruins? I don't think you can find 17 commits among every other midget/jr program combined.
More than half the kids in the NAHL get a D-I commit. Doesn't mean you play when you get there. Doesn't mean you are getting money.

The average age a kid gets a D-I commit is 18.9 years old. Almost half the commits are 19 and 20. 0.4% get their commit at 14.

You only THINK it's remarkable.

Let’s see what happens with them over the next few years

Coveted 02 group highly overrated. Not a single one will actually play D1. OK team but not all that. A few D3 potentials. That’s it.

Yeah, all the commits and $ that goes with them are just “favors” to TL for marketing purposes.
College coaches just throwing limited $ around with no regards for their jobs...
But you played in the ehf and prep, so...

Anon
Yeah, all the commits and $ that goes with them are just “favors” to TL for marketing purposes.
College coaches just throwing limited $ around with no regards for their jobs...
But you played in the ehf and prep, so...
Wait, you think there is still actual money connected with all these commits now?

Bwahahahahahahaha!

Nofors and onefors that kick in senior year? No risk by school, all PR for program. Please learn how this all works.

For the Anti-Lovell crowd, please answer:

Do you think that Tim and Joe are not doing their job developing, promoting and getting D1 commits? If not, I would like to hear another organization that is doing it better on all fronts. Make your case for a better development path for D1 or D3 interest and commits than BA to Generals. Not preps, but full season organizations that are getting kids to the next level. In New England.

SSK, Jr Bruins, Bandits, Monarchs?.. Let's hear them and show your work and data to support it.

Make a case. Should be a good respectful debate.

anon

Do you think that Tim and Joe are not doing their job developing, promoting and getting D1 commits? If not, I would like to hear another organization that is doing it better on all fronts. Make your case for a better development path for D1 or D3 interest and commits than BA to Generals. Not preps, but full season organizations that are getting kids to the next level. In New England.

SSK, Jr Bruins, Bandits, Monarchs?.. Let's hear them and show your work and data to support it.

Based on the numbers of players at Lovell they do a statistically average job of promoting players to the next level. The alliance with BA and the Generals may make for a nice marketing angle but the Generals are a different animal. I am sure the Lovells will push for their players but its not a BA pipeline.

Anon
anon

SSK, Jr Bruins, Bandits, Monarchs?.. Let\'s hear them and show your work and data to support it.

Based on the numbers of players at Lovell they do a statistically average job of promoting players to the next level. The alliance with BA and the Generals may make for a nice marketing angle but the Generals are a different animal. I am sure the Lovells will push for their players but its not a BA pipeline.
You're joking, right? BA pushed 17 kids to the Generals this year, by their own count.

Anon
Anon
anon

SSK, Jr Bruins, Bandits, Monarchs?.. Let\\\'s hear them and show your work and data to support it.

You're joking, right? BA pushed 17 kids to the Generals this year, by their own count.
17...how many callups were for 1 or 2 games as fill ins or so they could say they send players to NAHL?

Folks please stop taking the bait of pot-stirring Lovell haters with posts containing facts not opinions
You'll end up going insane trying to rationalize with irrational, envious people

And to the original poster (and frequent responder) spewing false claims against the Lovell programs, the Generals, and all of their success - I really hope things work out for you and your superstar. Everyone has choices and paths to follow and I'm sorry that all of the scholarship promises and dreams you concocted for him in your mind haven't materialized.

Celebrate the success of others as you travel around the rinks, maybe a little karma will come your way!

Common Sense
Folks please stop taking the bait of pot-stirring Lovell haters with posts containing facts not opinions
You'll end up going insane trying to rationalize with irrational, envious people

And to the original poster (and frequent responder) spewing false claims against the Lovell programs, the Generals, and all of their success - I really hope things work out for you and your superstar. Everyone has choices and paths to follow and I'm sorry that all of the scholarship promises and dreams you concocted for him in your mind haven't materialized.

Celebrate the success of others as you travel around the rinks, maybe a little karma will come your way!
Does it help you to feel better about yourself to pretend you're somehow smarter than everyone else?

Not everyone that has criticism of the program is a "Lovell Hater." BA is not a meritocracy. A lot of people grow to understand that, and anyone considering the program should realize it. Very few organizations are run the way TL and JL run theirs. But, it's their organization, and they can do whatever they want.

It doesn't mean everyone's going to love them or hate them. Most are in the middle.

Anon
Common Sense
You\'ll end up going insane trying to rationalize with irrational, envious people

And to the original poster (and frequent responder) spewing false claims against the Lovell programs, the Generals, and all of their success - I really hope things work out for you and your superstar. Everyone has choices and paths to follow and I\'m sorry that all of the scholarship promises and dreams you concocted for him in your mind haven\'t materialized.

Does it help you to feel better about yourself to pretend you're somehow smarter than everyone else?

Not everyone that has criticism of the program is a "Lovell Hater." BA is not a meritocracy. A lot of people grow to understand that, and anyone considering the program should realize it. Very few organizations are run the way TL and JL run theirs. But, it's their organization, and they can do whatever they want.

It doesn't mean everyone's going to love them or hate them. Most are in the middle.
Once again - BA does not put anymore players into college than any other program. Its not some secret sauce.