Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Walk me through this

Why must a NHL prospect have to go to college to play hockey? So, if I want my kid in college, then he has to play hockey. Or is it, if I want my kid to play NHL, then he has to go to college? So confusing.

Anon
Why must a NHL prospect have to go to college to play hockey? So, if I want my kid in college, then he has to play hockey. Or is it, if I want my kid to play NHL, then he has to go to college? So confusing.
Not confusing. Your just not very bright.

I’m sorry. I put my kid in hockey to play a sport and not for an education.

Anon
I’m sorry. I put my kid in hockey to play a sport and not for an education.
So he is not on the NCAA route.. you can move on from this post.. and good luck to your kid.
Just wondering, what’s the backup plan?

anon
anon
anon
My son is 16, very good at hockey, has to play through his high school years NOT on a high school team because it is isn\\\'t good enough hockey, so he has to play Club, but NOT USPHL because its isn\\\'t good enough hockey, then play 2 years of Jr Hockey somewhere in North America the USHL or NAHL all in order to play D1 or D3 Hockey as a 21 year old? Is that what we are being sold?

Who thinks this is OK? Please tell me I\\\'m wrong and this isn\\\'t the case.
Every week or so you start a new thread with the same rant. Get over it. The system isn\'t changing for your kid. The excepitonal kids get to play D1 on time, probalby playing juniors during what would have been senior year in HS. More play after one year of juniors after HS. If your kid is looking at 2-3 years of juniors and being a 21 year old freshmen, well then that reflects how good he is. The further down the pecking order you go the less leverage you have. Also the more kids there are at that level fighting for the same spots.

So if that\'s where your kid is, suck it up and drive on or drop out. If you drive on you still might not end up with a spot or one at a school that he might want to go to but that\'s what you get in life when you have no leverage. If the kid drops out which is also fine, there are many more willing to take his spot.

There are only 60 D1 college hockey teams of which about 35% of the players come from outside the US. It\'s not meant for everyone. It\'s competetive. It\'s set up now as a feeder for the NHL. It\'s meant to weed kids out. The sooner you get out of your head that it\'s somehow a natural extension of youth hockey the better off you will be. Your not entitle to a spot and you can\'t just go find another AAA team to jump on to.
Its meant to weed kids out of going to College? Its a feeder for the NHL? I thought it was a sport a kid can play while earning a degree to make a living? See how this has become so F'ed up. KHL, AHL, ECHL, Eouro leagues should be the feeders not NCAA hockey. What a mess.
Just because it's not what you want it to be doesn't mean it's a mess. For you it is. Not for others.

anon
anon
My son is 16, very good at hockey, has to play through his high school years NOT on a high school team because it is isn\'t good enough hockey, so he has to play Club, but NOT USPHL because its isn\'t good enough hockey, then play 2 years of Jr Hockey somewhere in North America the USHL or NAHL all in order to play D1 or D3 Hockey as a 21 year old? Is that what we are being sold?

Who thinks this is OK? Please tell me I\'m wrong and this isn\'t the case.
Every week or so you start a new thread with the same rant. Get over it. The system isn't changing for your kid. The excepitonal kids get to play D1 on time, probalby playing juniors during what would have been senior year in HS. More play after one year of juniors after HS. If your kid is looking at 2-3 years of juniors and being a 21 year old freshmen, well then that reflects how good he is. The further down the pecking order you go the less leverage you have. Also the more kids there are at that level fighting for the same spots.

So if that's where your kid is, suck it up and drive on or drop out. If you drive on you still might not end up with a spot or one at a school that he might want to go to but that's what you get in life when you have no leverage. If the kid drops out which is also fine, there are many more willing to take his spot.

There are only 60 D1 college hockey teams of which about 35% of the players come from outside the US. It's not meant for everyone. It's competetive. It's set up now as a feeder for the NHL. It's meant to weed kids out. The sooner you get out of your head that it's somehow a natural extension of youth hockey the better off you will be. Your not entitle to a spot and you can't just go find another AAA team to jump on to.
This is pretty much on spot, and yes, DI College Hockey is now a feeder system to the NHL, just ask the folks to the north (CHL). NHL loves college hockey now because of the quality of the player and the overall defensive skill of the players, thats where the CHL falls off the mark, weak defensive league.

Welcome to the age of entitlement.

anon
anon
My son is 16, very good at hockey, has to play through his high school years NOT on a high school team because it is isn\'t good enough hockey, so he has to play Club, but NOT USPHL because its isn\'t good enough hockey, then play 2 years of Jr Hockey somewhere in North America the USHL or NAHL all in order to play D1 or D3 Hockey as a 21 year old? Is that what we are being sold?

Who thinks this is OK? Please tell me I\'m wrong and this isn\'t the case.
Every week or so you start a new thread with the same rant. Get over it. The system isn't changing for your kid. The excepitonal kids get to play D1 on time, probalby playing juniors during what would have been senior year in HS. More play after one year of juniors after HS. If your kid is looking at 2-3 years of juniors and being a 21 year old freshmen, well then that reflects how good he is. The further down the pecking order you go the less leverage you have. Also the more kids there are at that level fighting for the same spots.

So if that's where your kid is, suck it up and drive on or drop out. If you drive on you still might not end up with a spot or one at a school that he might want to go to but that's what you get in life when you have no leverage. If the kid drops out which is also fine, there are many more willing to take his spot.

There are only 60 D1 college hockey teams of which about 35% of the players come from outside the US. It's not meant for everyone. It's competetive. It's set up now as a feeder for the NHL. It's meant to weed kids out. The sooner you get out of your head that it's somehow a natural extension of youth hockey the better off you will be. Your not entitle to a spot and you can't just go find another AAA team to jump on to.
That's why Club Hockey is so popular now, allows the parent to continue to pay for hockey, just like in Youth. Wouldn't surprise me that some parents wear the jackets of those teams/schools their kids are on

you can play in the northeast 10 without playing juniors

There is plenty of hockey for those who want to arrive on campus when they choose and have a spot waiting for them. It's called ACHA club hockey.

You can play in any conference without playing in juniors, but like most conferences the majority of players playing in the Northeast 10 played juniors.

If the consensus is that you have to play Jr hockey and USHL is the holy grail to get into NCAA why do people pay for these Tier 3 leagues if they all lead to nowhere?

Anon
If the consensus is that you have to play Jr hockey and USHL is the holy grail to get into NCAA why do people pay for these Tier 3 leagues if they all lead to nowhere?
Because parents want to get a return on their hockey investment, no matter how long it takes, or when little Johnny says "I give" That's why outside of a handful of conferences in DIII hockey, the hockey is crap, it's full of players that just waited out the system while more talented players said enough is enough and I don't want to be a 21-year old freshman. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these people saying that Club Hockey is better than DIII, but know why Club Hockey has exploded over the last 5-10 years.

Anon
Anon
Because parents want to get a return on their hockey investment, no matter how long it takes, or when little Johnny says "I give" That's why outside of a handful of conferences in DIII hockey, the hockey is crap, it's full of players that just waited out the system while more talented players said enough is enough and I don't want to be a 21-year old freshman. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these people saying that Club Hockey is better than DIII, but know why Club Hockey has exploded over the last 5-10 years.
It’s more than that. They have been telling their non hockey friends for years that their kid was AAA elite. Now they have to tell them the kid washed out in HS like most other stiffs out there? Nope, my kid played juniors.

I look at it another way. It is a very different sport. Not a lot of true freshman play or have success in NCAA D1 football. Most redshirt, then backup then maybe start as a sophomore or a junior at best. Majority barely play.

There are 2,000,000 (approx) registered U20 hockey players in the world competing for:

60 teams
say 30 kids per team that means a total of 1,800 spots
A 4 year cycle of Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior so 450 spots per year

If you take the 2,000,000 kids playing hockey and say break it over a 15 year age span (5-20) that gives you 133,333 kids at a given birth year playing Hockey.

So you have 133,333 kids competing for the 450 spots. But you also have to break it down to 18, 19, 20 year olds so that is about 399,999 kids competing for 450 spots.

Where as in football you have 5,000,000 kids competing for:

130 Division 1 teams (more than double).
Rosters are an average of 105 kids means 13,650 kids playing D1 Football
A 4 year cycle of Freshman, etc, etc means 3,412 spots open per year

So if you take the same math for kids playing football and break it over a 13 year age span (5-18) that gives you 384,615 kids at a given birth year playing football.

So you have 384,614 kids competing for 3,412 spots.

I know most of you stopped following this but even if you only count the 1 year for hockey players say 18 so 133,333 kids competing for 450 spots that's a percentage of .33%.

With football you have 384,614 kids competing for 3,412 spots making it a percentage of .88%.

Almost triple the odds of playing D1 college football than D1 College hockey at a freshman age.

The point of all of this is that the amount of spots open per kid competing for them dictates that allowance of further development for hockey players. It's just simple math.

Freshman on D1 rosters for the upcoming season if the historic numbers hold true:
00/01: 32%
99: 36%
98: 32%

In addition if you actually look at some football rosters the AVERAGE AGE of a player on Alabama is 23, Arizona Sate: 24.8, Utah State 24.7.

Hockey is not all that different. All the hysteria of 21 year old freshmen never gets back to the fact that the average age is still basically one year after HS graduation which is similar to other sports.

Also your point on freshmen not playing is nonsense. Most do play. You can't compete if freshmen can't play, espeically now with so many juniors leaving early for professional. The ones who don't play are usually so-jr-sr that have peaked/don't progress and just don't contribute enough.

Who said Freshman don't play?

Uh, you did.

I actually said a lot of Freshman football players don't play as true freshman didn't say anything about hockey freshman

my bad

"...but know why Club Hockey has exploded over the last 5-10 years."

Hmmm, let's see The kid gets to pick the university first and hockey second; the sport is offered in hundreds of schools coast-to-coast - you can play at a southern school and get out of this god forsaken weather; the kid can slide right onto a team after his senior high school season at 18-19; practice schedule which is a couple days a week instead of 5-6; academics can come first, you can miss practice; you play in the same barn as the varsity kids; at least compared to many D-3 programs the club teams might have more fans (compare schools like Georgia or Alabama Club team attendance to any D-3 program in the country)' yeah Club hockey isn't great but go watch a D-3 game and you tell me. . . yeah I'd say I can see how this is going.

anon
"...but know why Club Hockey has exploded over the last 5-10 years."

Hmmm, let's see The kid gets to pick the university first and hockey second; the sport is offered in hundreds of schools coast-to-coast - you can play at a southern school and get out of this god forsaken weather; the kid can slide right onto a team after his senior high school season at 18-19; practice schedule which is a couple days a week instead of 5-6; academics can come first, you can miss practice; you play in the same barn as the varsity kids; at least compared to many D-3 programs the club teams might have more fans (compare schools like Georgia or Alabama Club team attendance to any D-3 program in the country)' yeah Club hockey isn't great but go watch a D-3 game and you tell me. . . yeah I'd say I can see how this is going.
Sorry your kid was relegated to Club Hockey. Let me guess, either you or your kid tells people that "Club Hockey" is "College Hockey"? Was he EHF Elite too?

No I run a local junior team and we love to declare our kids make hundreds of college teams and this has to include club teams. . . which are elite.