Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: QMJHL American Draft

I hope all of those 16 year old kids leave Full Season/ Prep School next year for the Q..its an amazing experience..Not knowing the language, freezing conditions for 6 months, living on a bus and missing mommy' warm hugs and cookies..its the best!

QMJHL region is New England
OHL is NY west to Minnesota south
WHL is western United States (all western U.S. States including Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming

QMJHL draft is cool but not really a place US players want to end up at with other routes preferable nowadays (NCAA, etc).

All good points and looking at the list of 03 new england kids, they are pretty much spot on with the best players. A few sure bet NHL draft picks in the group too from the area. All good stuff. Might possibly be the deepest pool in a long time of kids from the NHL early rounds

That's a big leap from Q American Draft to NHL Draft picks..lol

Watch this movie and you tell me if you would send your kid to the Q

https://www.nfb.ca/film/junior_en/

Hell, most New England Momma's boys are scared to death thinking of leaving their families and friends and their blue blazers and playing real hockey in the USHL. The Q is another animal

anon
Watch this movie and you tell me if you would send your kid to the Q

https://www.nfb.ca/film/junior_en/

Hell, most New England Momma\'s boys are scared to death thinking of leaving their families and friends and their blue blazers and playing real hockey in the USHL. The Q is another animal
Ya no. The problem is ... some of those drafted have no choices and the teams are well aware of that. They’re decent hockey players that have played in every tournament from Toronto to Florida for the past five years and as a result are pulling C’s and D’s in the classroom. USHL doesn’t want em. Preps don’t want em and Colleges definitely won’t want em. Hopefully French class went ok though for those long bus rides through the Quebecois on frigid winter nights. Then ... when that’s all over ... the real fun begins for mom and dad when they show back up on the front porch, bag in hand. Defeated. No drive. No skills. No money. C’est Bon!

Anon
All good points and looking at the list of 03 new england kids, they are pretty much spot on with the best players. A few sure bet NHL draft picks in the group too from the area. All good stuff. Might possibly be the deepest pool in a long time of kids from the NHL early rounds
03 parent insanity in that post. A qmjhl draft pick and NHL future pick have zero in common. The 01 NE class is legit - the rest of the birth years not so much. One 03 made the NTDP and that tells you all you need to know. There might be one or two 03 from NE that gets drafted in first few rounds.

No compelling reason to go to the Q when you have the USHL.

Conor Garland....It amazes me how many hockey experts frequent this board! There is a path for everyone, obviously because your kid never made it past tier 1 White, every thing sucks unless you play D1 BU or BC. Not that any of these kids will make the NHL but it is still an accomplishment to get recognized and most will get an opportunity to play the next level.
Or just so it makes you happy, they should do pay-to-play juniors road to nowhere!

Didn’t say it sucked. Just said there is no compelling reason to go there with USHL option. Garland is an exception. Had no interest in college hockey and went all in on turning pro. He made it but as an exception. The list of those who went thinking they were nhl boumd and failed is much longer. Ushl gives more options with more time. But thanks for your expert opinion.

What a great list of players.. my son has played with/ camped with just about that entire list and maybe 4 will ever be able to leave home. Congrats to those kids but they are not close to ready to go anywhere. We had 3 teams reach out also, it just didn’t seem like a fit, but hopefully some will take advantage of it when ready.

Anon
What a great list of players.. my son has played with/ camped with just about that entire list and maybe 4 will ever be able to leave home. Congrats to those kids but they are not close to ready to go anywhere. We had 3 teams reach out also, it just didn’t seem like a fit, but hopefully some will take advantage of it when ready.
Ok. Now Stop. No one reached out unless it was an intern in the ticket office who had your number from the trip to the Q.

anon
Anon
Ok. Now Stop. No one reached out unless it was an intern in the ticket office who had your number from the trip to the Q.
Well we’re you in Essex in April? We were, and teams were interested but after learning more about the process and talking realistically..we passed..on. 3. Teams.

Anon
anon
Anon
Well we’re you in Essex in April? We were, and teams were interested but after learning more about the process and talking realistically..we passed..on. 3. Teams.
Erroneous!

Anon
List? What list?

anon
Anon
List? What list?
2nd Annual American Draft http://theqmjhl.ca/draft/2019QMJHL_US

None of those kids will ever move to another country to play hockey, most are Prep kids who have everything handed to them (not hockey related)..big difference from Prep/Home hand holding and moving in with a family that you can barely communicate with.

Did Elite hockey have a kid drafted to the Q? I don't think they have posted it enough times....lol

anon
Did Elite hockey have a kid drafted to the Q? I don't think they have posted it enough times....lol
Sorry but the QMJHL draft is utterly useless. If all else fails....like the 15 other routes for your kid to play higher levels - then you might have to look at the QMJHL. Some teams pick good players and shoot for the stars knowing there is a .0000001% chance they play there. Other teams pass on good players and pick players who have better odds of playing up there. Bottom line nowadays is you dont want to ever end up in the Q.

Anon
anon
Did Elite hockey have a kid drafted to the Q? I don\'t think they have posted it enough times....lol
Sorry but the QMJHL draft is utterly useless. If all else fails....like the 15 other routes for your kid to play higher levels - then you might have to look at the QMJHL. Some teams pick good players and shoot for the stars knowing there is a .0000001% chance they play there. Other teams pass on good players and pick players who have better odds of playing up there. Bottom line nowadays is you dont want to ever end up in the Q.
Although the NCAA has made great inroads over the past 5-10 years, still to this day 60-70% of the NHL draft picks come from the CHL...

Anon
Anon
anon
Did Elite hockey have a kid drafted to the Q? I don\\\'t think they have posted it enough times....lol
Although the NCAA has made great inroads over the past 5-10 years, still to this day 60-70% of the NHL draft picks come from the CHL...
Another great display of knowledge.

2016: 96/211 45%
2017: 88/217 41%
2018: 78/217 36%

See any trends there Jethro? Anything even close to "60-70%?"

Anon
Anon
Anon
anon
Did Elite hockey have a kid drafted to the Q? I don\\\\\\\'t think they have posted it enough times....lol

OK smarty-pants...

Now do the math on just North American skaters and goalies like I'm sure the poster meant (and we here in the United States care about). This of course assumes that none of us are sending our kids to Europe to play before they get drafted...

I'm too lazy to figure it out so please enlighten me with those trends...Jethro...

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
anon
Did Elite hockey have a kid drafted to the Q? I don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t think they have posted it enough times....lol

OK smarty-pants...

Now do the math on just North American skaters and goalies like I'm sure the poster meant (and we here in the United States care about). This of course assumes that none of us are sending our kids to Europe to play before they get drafted...

I'm too lazy to figure it out so please enlighten me with those trends...Jethro...
So, you think Euros aren't playing in the CHL and therefore included in the totals?

Poster said "still to this day 60-70% of the NHL draft picks come from the CHL." Where are you deducing he meant NA skaters?

Stop being such a xenophobe. It's a global game without boundaries.

Anon
Anon
anon
Did Elite hockey have a kid drafted to the Q? I don\\\'t think they have posted it enough times....lol
So misinformed....NCAA route = Education and better hockey than anything the CHL can toss out there. QMJHL had only 14 players drafted in 2017 and 23 in 2018. Not impressive at all.

Actually a smart pick. Teams know what type of kid would accept a spot up there and credit them for identifying good candidates. Not everyone ends up at BU

Anon
Actually a smart pick. Teams know what type of kid would accept a spot up there and credit them for identifying good candidates. Not everyone ends up at BU

Type of kid that would accept a spot? You mean a kid/family that would toss away a hope of a college education/playing in the NCAA for the tiny chance he goes to the NHL? That type of pick? There was only 13 Americans in total in the QMJHL last season for a reason - its not a great option.

Anon
Anon

Type of kid that would accept a spot? You mean a kid/family that would toss away a hope of a college education/playing in the NCAA for the tiny chance he goes to the NHL? That type of pick? There was only 13 Americans in total in the QMJHL last season for a reason - its not a great option.
I don't disagree the Q is a tough path, but not for the reasons you say. Not every kid is college material. Yes, maybe some will eventually be landscapers or plumbers or carpenters. What's wrong with that?

For kids that struggle in HS with balancing sports and academics, how likely is it they'll being able to be successful student-athletes at the D-I level?

My kid wants to be an engineer. College coaches are already telling him it's ambitious to do both, and he earns honors at his prep school. And, some of the schools that are talking to us don't even have engineering programs. Doesn't mean they aren't good schools, doesn't mean they won't be a good fit for him as a hockey player. It could very well be I'll still have to pay for college after his 4 years of eligibility if he still wants to be an engineer. Maybe McGill is a pretty good option after all?

Just because the Q isn't a good alternative for your kid doesn't mean it isn't a good option for another.

Anon
Anon
Anon

I don't disagree the Q is a tough path, but not for the reasons you say. Not every kid is college material. Yes, maybe some will eventually be landscapers or plumbers or carpenters. What's wrong with that?

For kids that struggle in HS with balancing sports and academics, how likely is it they'll being able to be successful student-athletes at the D-I level?

My kid wants to be an engineer. College coaches are already telling him it's ambitious to do both, and he earns honors at his prep school. And, some of the schools that are talking to us don't even have engineering programs. Doesn't mean they aren't good schools, doesn't mean they won't be a good fit for him as a hockey player. It could very well be I'll still have to pay for college after his 4 years of eligibility if he still wants to be an engineer. Maybe McGill is a pretty good option after all?

Just because the Q isn't a good alternative for your kid doesn't mean it isn't a good option for another.
I'd say if the kid is smart + a very good player contact the Ivies with his GPA and SAT scores. They need to place a few high-end kids on the team to squeak the lower end academic performers onto the team to keep the average at an acceptable level. Once in the door have him stick it out for a season riding the pine and being a practice player then bag the silly hockey and concentrate on his academics. I've seen it more than once.

you do also get school out of the QMJHL. For each year that you are in the league the team/CHL pays for a year of Canadian University of which there are some very good schools and great hockey programs as well which are mainly made up of ex CHL players now.

Not necessarily a bad path for kids from south of the border.

anon
you do also get school out of the QMJHL. For each year that you are in the league the team/CHL pays for a year of Canadian University of which there are some very good schools and great hockey programs as well which are mainly made up of ex CHL players now.

Hence, the comment about McGill University.

Anon
anon

Hence, the comment about McGill University.
Love the blanket statements thrown around about CHL academic funding. You get some money for college (tuition, books, fees) based upon seasons played. Room and board is on your own. One year of tuition per season played. You also have to use it within one year of your last season in the CHL. So if your purpose of going CHL is you think you have pro potential, you most likely have to give up on your pro career at 21 if you don't want to forfeit your benefits.

So if you go up there at 17, play four seasons and have a 1500 SAT, yes you can go to McGill and perhaps for free. You can also most likely play at Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth and see if your NHL ready when your 22-23-24.

The little dog will never be allowed over the border!!!! Quebec is about to get some entertainment.

That pick was a head scratcher for sure...

WOOOOF

08's are stacked!!!!!!

Comical how kids that barely played for their HS team could possibly been drafted? Serious?

Honestly its not that hard to get drafted in the Q nowadays since its such a lower on the bar option. Just have your kid go to one of the satellite QMJHL camps they have around local rinks and your kid will probably get drafted just based on the fact he showed interest in going there.

Anon
Honestly its not that hard to get drafted in the Q nowadays since its such a lower on the bar option. Just have your kid go to one of the satellite QMJHL camps they have around local rinks and your kid will probably get drafted just based on the fact he showed interest in going there.
Bingo! Offers were made and declined by a few skaters at the New England Skate. It was a fun to kick the tires though.

Uhhhhh yeah sure Dad. Why did you pay the $99 for the combine then? Poor showing?

Paid the $99.00 to go through the motions and get a feel for what the process is like. Experience meeting with coaches, understanding their offers, etc..for $99.00 bucks is money wells spent. That's why I spend the $99.00.