High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Family hockey advisor recomendation

Anon
anon
Also know that these NHL Agent/advisors cast a pretty wide net. One, it costs them nothing to establish a relationship. Two it\\\'s competitive so they would rather bring a kid into the fold then lose them to a competitor. Three, they probably need ten kids in the fold to have one or two come out the other end as pro\\\'s to make them money.

Point being they are not shy and so if your kid has any reasonable projection to play Pro or even NCAA hockey they will come to you. If they are not, then your kid isn\\\'t that good. Doesn\\\'t mean he can\\\'t get there but seeking them out is pointless.
Ten? Try fifty 14-15 year olds to get one that earns a paycheck in the sport.
Fifty? Not if they are good evaluators and can project. Think about your numbers. Every one has 500 kids to net 10 NHL players? Not likely.

Anon
anon
If you have to seek them out, then you don\'t need one. Help you kid get good enough so they come to you.
Exactly. The hockey advisor is a sketchy industry. If your kid is good enough a reputable NHL registered advisor will seek your kid out. Otherwise you are just paying for some guy to try to promote your kid to other guys who know your kid isnt that good because he has this sketchy advisor.
We have a bingo!

Anon
Anon
anon
If you have to seek them out, then you don\\\'t need one. Help you kid get good enough so they come to you.
Exactly. The hockey advisor is a sketchy industry. If your kid is good enough a reputable NHL registered advisor will seek your kid out. Otherwise you are just paying for some guy to try to promote your kid to other guys who know your kid isnt that good because he has this sketchy advisor.
We have a bingo!
Agree it's a sketchy process. But, NHL certified agents have contacts at top Prep, USHL, OHL and D-I. That's a small percentage. They really can't help much at the Tier II/III, Junior A/B , D-II/III level.

And, U.S fee-for-services guys, even the legit ones, don't have much of a presence north of the border. So if your kid wants to play either NAHL or Junior A (comparable level of play) you pretty much need two guys.

So, if your kid is a stud, the process is easy. Other than that, it's a crapshoot.

Anon
Anon
Anon
anon
If you have to seek them out, then you don\\\\\\\'t need one. Help you kid get good enough so they come to you.
We have a bingo!
Agree it's a sketchy process. But, NHL certified agents have contacts at top Prep, USHL, OHL and D-I. That's a small percentage. They really can't help much at the Tier II/III, Junior A/B , D-II/III level.

And, U.S fee-for-services guys, even the legit ones, don't have much of a presence north of the border. So if your kid wants to play either NAHL or Junior A (comparable level of play) you pretty much need two guys.

So, if your kid is a stud, the process is easy. Other than that, it's a crapshoot.
Not to sound harsh but if your kid isn’t a stud then why bother? Let him enjoy playing without the pressure. Even the stud players have a tougher time getting on a d3 roster.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
anon
If you have to seek them out, then you don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t need one. Help you kid get good enough so they come to you.
We have a bingo!
Agree it\\\\\\'s a sketchy process. But, NHL certified agents have contacts at top Prep, USHL, OHL and D-I. That\\\\\\'s a small percentage. They really can\\\\\\'t help much at the Tier II/III, Junior A/B , D-II/III level.

And, U.S fee-for-services guys, even the legit ones, don\\\\\\'t have much of a presence north of the border. So if your kid wants to play either NAHL or Junior A (comparable level of play) you pretty much need two guys.

So, if your kid is a stud, the process is easy. Other than that, it\\\\\\'s a crapshoot.
Not to sound harsh but if your kid isn’t a stud then why bother? Let him enjoy playing without the pressure. Even the stud players have a tougher time getting on a d3 roster.
Different definitions of "stud" then. Probably fueled by my being modest about my kid's relative standing.

anon
If you have to seek them out, then you don't need one. Help you kid get good enough so they come to you.
Actually, we have 2 people who already approached us. One of them is pure NHL/OHL pro level agent and he is trying to steer my son to play juniors and not to follow NCAA road, but my son prefer to graduate fro school 1st and follow NCAA route. the other one is promising the whole world. We are not even sure what to do.
All this family advisory is to sketchy for me. Its much more strait-forward with Pro agent but its not the route that my son want to go at this moment.

Doug
anon
If you have to seek them out, then you don\'t need one. Help you kid get good enough so they come to you.
Actually, we have 2 people who already approached us. One of them is pure NHL/OHL pro level agent and he is trying to steer my son to play juniors and not to follow NCAA road, but my son prefer to graduate fro school 1st and follow NCAA route. the other one is promising the whole world. We are not even sure what to do.
All this family advisory is to sketchy for me. Its much more strait-forward with Pro agent but its not the route that my son want to go at this moment.
Well if you are from NE your kid can't play in the OHL but I get the fact that Canadian guys want to steer kids in the CHL direction. If they really think your kid has potential then you have leverage. They should tell you that USHL is just fine to preserve NCAA. After all the don't make any money if your kid doesn't sign a pro contract so that is the mutual goal. If they are really pressing you for CHL then beware. They might be getting kickbacks from CHL teams.

You'll know a good agent/advisor when you talk with one. They focus on what's best for your kid. Tell you your options. Perhaps recommend one over the other but at the end of the day it's you and the kids call. No one can say any one path is better than the other. CHL has its merits and drawbacks. USHL/NCAA is a proven path.

Stay away from Hockey Concepts. Biggest scammers out there. You have been warned!

Doug
anon
Anyone that tells a NE kid to not go the NCAA route is not serving your kid properly. Unless your kid is a brick in the classroom.

Who was the last top US prospect that went to the CHL?

But, the fact you mention OHL tells me you're probably full of ****.

Conor Garland, Charlie Coyle or...or....or...

anon
Conor Garland, Charlie Coyle or...or....or...
Way to show your knowledge.

Conor Garland was far from a top pro prospect. He played six games in the U as a 16 year old before jumping to the Q. He was undrafted in his first year of eligibility, then was a 5th round selection after leading the CHL in scoring and being the MVP of the Q.

Charlie Coyle absolutely did not set out to go the CHL route. He was drafted in the first round and played 1 1/2 years at BU before finishing the season in the Q to "focus on hockey."

What else ya got?

Wait a minute, there are a bunch of New England born players who went the Q route and now are ripping it up in the Coast (ECHL), that $500 per week will go a long way without a college education.

Here's my recommendation...

If they are not a NHL certified agent; don't waste your money.

A real open niche here in the local hockey scene is to forget being an adviser and maybe just open a 'youth sports public relations firm.' You know, the people who push the kids on to teams that have the kids of former NHL players so they can get looks, contact the local hockey press to talk-up a slightly better than average player, make them available for every tournament, get photos of the kid on every website and for every program, get inside the heads of the local junior scouts and teams by telling them the kid wants to play for all of them. . . oh, that's what advisers do. Nevermind.