High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Food for thought

Anon
anon
This post has me confused. To the guy who said \"only the good 16-17 year olds\" out of New England play in the leagues, do you have any names of kids currently playing because I also can find any.

16/17 year olds from New England should be playing Prep or high end U16/U18 and then move on to these other leagues. Its the right path.
Then you aren't looking in the right place. I looked at exactly one USHL team (Dubuque Fighting Saints) that rostered eight 2001s and one 2002 last season, including two from New England. 2001s would have been 16/17 when the season started, and in fact four of the 2001s still haven't reached the 18th birthday, so they were 16/17 for all of the games they played in. The 2002 is still 16 today (turns 17 later this week).
Great point. COMBINED they played 10 games for the Saints. The NY kid played 4. Does that really mean they "made" it? The 16 year old played 9 games last year. I dont think that is considered making it?

anon
Anon
anon
This post has me confused. To the guy who said \\"only the good 16-17 year olds\\" out of New England play in the leagues, do you have any names of kids currently playing because I also can find any.

16/17 year olds from New England should be playing Prep or high end U16/U18 and then move on to these other leagues. Its the right path.
Then you aren't looking in the right place. I looked at exactly one USHL team (Dubuque Fighting Saints) that rostered eight 2001s and one 2002 last season, including two from New England. 2001s would have been 16/17 when the season started, and in fact four of the 2001s still haven't reached the 18th birthday, so they were 16/17 for all of the games they played in. The 2002 is still 16 today (turns 17 later this week).
Great point. COMBINED they played 10 games for the Saints. The NY kid played 4. Does that really mean they "made" it? The 16 year old played 9 games last year. I dont think that is considered making it?
My kid played a full season in the USHL several years ago at 17.

Anon
anon
Anon
anon
This post has me confused. To the guy who said \\\\\"only the good 16-17 year olds\\\\\" out of New England play in the leagues, do you have any names of kids currently playing because I also can find any.

Then you aren\'t looking in the right place. I looked at exactly one USHL team (Dubuque Fighting Saints) that rostered eight 2001s and one 2002 last season, including two from New England. 2001s would have been 16/17 when the season started, and in fact four of the 2001s still haven\'t reached the 18th birthday, so they were 16/17 for all of the games they played in. The 2002 is still 16 today (turns 17 later this week).
Great point. COMBINED they played 10 games for the Saints. The NY kid played 4. Does that really mean they \"made\" it? The 16 year old played 9 games last year. I dont think that is considered making it?
My kid played a full season in the USHL several years ago at 17.
What about the local kid who wants to play college hockey but not move. Does local NCDC work then?

anon
Anon
anon
This post has me confused. To the guy who said \\"only the good 16-17 year olds\\" out of New England play in the leagues, do you have any names of kids currently playing because I also can find any.

Another, finer sieve. Poster said they "cant find any." Now, we're looking at how many games they played.

I'm done. Play by - or with - yourself.

What do you do with a very good 16/17 year old that doesn't want to leave home just yet?

anon
What do you do with a very good 16/17 year old that doesn't want to leave home just yet?
You're overrating your kid. If he was "very good" he would have been contacted by an NHLPA certified advisor that would be helping you with that decision, he would already be playing Beast and Prep, and you would already know.

If he isn't in that category, August 20th is a hard time to start thinking about teams. But, if he isn't playing Prep, he should play on an age-specific full season team, the best he can make (look at last year's MHR), until he ages out. Then he should be ready to move away from home to play junior.

If he isn't playing Prep and can't make a good age-specific team, then Town is your answer.

If he isn't ready to leave the area when he's 19, then he isn't a hockey player. I'd check his scrotum at that point.

Anon
anon
What do you do with a very good 16/17 year old that doesn\'t want to leave home just yet?
You're overrating your kid. If he was "very good" he would have been contacted by an NHLPA certified advisor that would be helping you with that decision, he would already be playing Beast and Prep, and you would already know.

If he isn't in that category, August 20th is a hard time to start thinking about teams. But, if he isn't playing Prep, he should play on an age-specific full season team, the best he can make (look at last year's MHR), until he ages out. Then he should be ready to move away from home to play junior.

If he isn't playing Prep and can't make a good age-specific team, then Town is your answer.

If he isn't ready to leave the area when he's 19, then he isn't a hockey player. I'd check his scrotum at that point.
Thanks- He is playing EHF Selects and Prep as a day student. Was just wondering what others are doing if there kid is not ready to leave home at 17 or 18.

anon
Anon
anon
What do you do with a very good 16/17 year old that doesn\\\'t want to leave home just yet?
You\'re overrating your kid. If he was \"very good\" he would have been contacted by an NHLPA certified advisor that would be helping you with that decision, he would already be playing Beast and Prep, and you would already know.

If he isn\'t in that category, August 20th is a hard time to start thinking about teams. But, if he isn\'t playing Prep, he should play on an age-specific full season team, the best he can make (look at last year\'s MHR), until he ages out. Then he should be ready to move away from home to play junior.

If he isn\'t playing Prep and can\'t make a good age-specific team, then Town is your answer.

If he isn\'t ready to leave the area when he\'s 19, then he isn\'t a hockey player. I\'d check his scrotum at that point.
Thanks- He is playing EHF Selects and Prep as a day student. Was just wondering what others are doing if there kid is not ready to leave home at 17 or 18.
Then ask that. No reason for the subterfuge.

Anon
anon
Anon
anon
What do you do with a very good 16/17 year old that doesn\\\\\\\'t want to leave home just yet?
You\\\'re overrating your kid. If he was \\\"very good\\\" he would have been contacted by an NHLPA certified advisor that would be helping you with that decision, he would already be playing Beast and Prep, and you would already know.

If he isn\\\'t in that category, August 20th is a hard time to start thinking about teams. But, if he isn\\\'t playing Prep, he should play on an age-specific full season team, the best he can make (look at last year\\\'s MHR), until he ages out. Then he should be ready to move away from home to play junior.

If he isn\\\'t playing Prep and can\\\'t make a good age-specific team, then Town is your answer.

If he isn\\\'t ready to leave the area when he\\\'s 19, then he isn\\\'t a hockey player. I\\\'d check his scrotum at that point.
Then ask that. No reason for the subterfuge.
I thought I did. Didn't know you needed his background to answer the question.

anon
anon
anon
USHL Average age last year was 18.8
NAHL Average age last year was 18.8
BCHL Average age last year was 18.7
NCDC Average age last year was 19.8

Not many 16/17 year olds from anywhere playing on these teams.
18%-19% is about 1 out of 5.5 players out of ages ranging from 16-21yo that\'s just about where it should be... 5 or 6 kids per roster of 25. Stay in your school and don\'t go until you\'re ready
The answer is Zero. 18-19 is the average age not the % of players. Not 1 team has 5 16/17 year old's and that's how it is supposed to be.
oops , read it wrong, my bad. for the record though the first year NTDP is 100% 16 and 17year olds

anon
anon
anon
anon

18%-19% is about 1 out of 5.5 players out of ages ranging from 16-21yo that\\\\\\\'s just about where it should be... 5 or 6 kids per roster of 25. Stay in your school and don\\\\\\\'t go until you\\\\\\\'re ready
The answer is Zero. 18-19 is the average age not the % of players. Not 1 team has 5 16/17 year old\\\'s and that\\\'s how it is supposed to be.
oops , read it wrong, my bad. for the record though the first year NTDP is 100% 16 and 17year olds
Any from New England?

Anon
anon
anon
anon
anon

18%-19% is about 1 out of 5.5 players out of ages ranging from 16-21yo that\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s just about where it should be... 5 or 6 kids per roster of 25. Stay in your school and don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t go until you\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re ready
The answer is Zero. 18-19 is the average age not the % of players. Not 1 team has 5 16/17 year old\\\\\\\'s and that\\\\\\\'s how it is supposed to be.
Any from New England?
yes, 2 from Mass and 1 from Rhode island Actually one kid (MB) got called up to the '01 team

anon
Anon
anon
anon
anon
anon

18%-19% is about 1 out of 5.5 players out of ages ranging from 16-21yo that\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s just about where it should be... 5 or 6 kids per roster of 25. Stay in your school and don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t go until you\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re ready
The answer is Zero. 18-19 is the average age not the % of players. Not 1 team has 5 16/17 year old\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s and that\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s how it is supposed to be.
Any from New England?
yes, 2 from Mass and 1 from Rhode island Actually one kid (MB) got called up to the '01 team
You really answered that? I thought it was asked rhetorically. Of ocurse there are kids form NE on the team.

People would have lost their MINDS here if there wasn't a single kid from NE selected for the NTDP.

just curious why NA3HL is not included. safe to assume it's no.21?

anon anon
just curious why NA3HL is not included. safe to assume it\'s no.21?
Safe to assume it's not in the top 20. There's a separate ranking of Tier III leagues.

But, the author is super-biased in favor of some leagues and against others. Loves USPHL, hates NA3HL. One of the biggest hypocrites out there. Called out someone for lying to families about scouts at camps when he does the same thing. He was forced to print a retraction because he was dead wrong in his accusations.

Called out another guy that he competes for parent's wallets with for tax fraud which, last I checked was a federal matter not a junior hockey matter, and NCAA violations that the NCAA never claimed were happening. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in court for libel. Also said classless things about the guy personally.

Everyone's connected so you always have to be careful what you say, but I genuinely hope this guy gets his comeuppance. He's an arrogant ****** on his website and in person.

Comical to look at these rankings written by someone who is clearly retarded and biased. The author won't even publish his name as he knows how stupid this is. Good for a laugh though. The USHL at 1? Hahaha! The QMJHL at 6? Hahahaha. The best team in the USHL wouldn't win a game in the QMJHL. Total joke written by a dummy with an agenda. You can read right through it.

You think the Q is good? All offense and not the most respected league. Yeah they win the championship but it's usually one / two stacked teams.

Anon
Comical to look at these rankings written by someone who is clearly retarded and biased. The author won't even publish his name as he knows how stupid this is. Good for a laugh though. The USHL at 1? Hahaha! The QMJHL at 6? Hahahaha. The best team in the USHL wouldn't win a game in the QMJHL. Total joke written by a dummy with an agenda. You can read right through it.
Huh? It's written by Joe Kolodziej, who owns The Junior Hockey News, which is where the article was pulled from. He doesn't hide (I wish he would), the poster failed to list the source.

Joe is absolutely biased. He over-hypes the USPHL to the point of nausea, and hates on the NA3 more than the league deserves (but some teams absolutely dfo deserve the criticism). I don't like him personally, he does things that are abusive of my moral compass, but he has to sleep with his own decisions. I'll just insulate my kid from him.

But, he is generally knowledgeable.

As for the USHL vs. the Q, I don't know of any Americans that are choosing to play in the CHL versus USNTDP (you know, the team with 8 draft picks this past June), the USNTDP is in the USHL, and they don't run roughshod through the league. So, would USHL teams not be able to win a game in the Q? I'd say that's hyperbole. Does the Q belong 6th? Subjective. One man's opinion. I don't know that it's below the NA or the BCHL, but if you read his criteria - one year assessment - it isn't far-fetched. He would know better than any of us whether French Canadians are choosing Junior A and NCAA over the Q. I also know the Q is in some really remote locations, so quality of life may be a contributing factor.

I do think some personal bias is probably evident there, as well.

Thanks for pointing out the dummy's name who pretends he knows something. Hey Joe, did you look at the end of year CHL rankings before putting your joke of a list together. In case you missed it... CHL teams ranked 1-10:

Rouyn-Noranda Huskies (54-7-0-1)

Prince Albert Raiders (51-9-2-2)

Drummondville Voltigeurs (48-11-2-1)

Ottawa 67’s (46-11-3-2)

London Knights (44-12-6-1)

Halifax Mooseheads (46-14-2-1)

Everett Silvertips (45-14-2-2)

Baie-Comeau Drakkar (44-14-2-2)

Vancouver Giants (44-14-2-2)

Saginaw Spirit (42-15-2-3)

The QMJHL had 4 of the top 10, and 2 of the top 3 yet you rank the Q a distant 3rd? Even below some pretty weak leagues. Your agenda is pretty clear Joe. Publish whatever b.s. you can to try to make sure the top New England kids don't consider the Q. If you're going to pretend to be knowledgeable, why don't you at least try to be accurate and let people decide for themselves what is the best path to their own development. More fake news. Dummy!

And this isn't subjective as well? They don't play across leagues until finals so a record in one league is irrelevant to the others. What isn't subjective is the NHL Draft and by that standard the Q doesn't perform all that well.

Also comparing USHL to CHL is a little bit apples to oranges.

USHL top players leave earlier for NCAA, typically at 18/19 so the older players in the league are less skilled. Top CHL players who don't sign with NHL teams have to stay in CHL until they are 20 as they can't play in the AHL until they are 20. Based upon that alone means there is more talent in CHL in any given year but it's not a huge gap.

That's another one people post all the time which just spreads the ignorance, that the QMJHL is a much older league filled with 20 year olds. Here are the facts based on stats from last season:
13 of the 15 teams in the USHL have an average age over 18.
Only 8 of 18 teams in the QMJHL have an average age over 18.
There are a lot of misconceptions out there. The Q is by far the younger league.

Q teams can have a max of 3 twenty year olds. No such restriction in the USHL. This keeps the Q a you get league and moves the older players out for younger players. Good system

Anon
Q teams can have a max of 3 twenty year olds. No such restriction in the USHL. This keeps the Q a you get league and moves the older players out for younger players. Good system
USHL allows 5.

Dude reading comprehension is not a strong suit of yours. I didn't say CHL was older. Both leagues are U20, and both allow I believe up to six 20 year olds which would make them the same age.

What I did say was that the top talent in the USHL leaves before age 20 to go play college hockey. CHL players have no where to go. It's NHL or bust.

Now go put down your CHL pom poms, take off the QMJHL footie pajamas and go find a job.

Q only allows 3 max

The guy is an idiot. If you want good commentary about junior hockey, try JuniorHockey.com. The guy who runs that site knows his stuff and is completely unbiased.

Boo hoo. No one wants to go to the Q. It's always been that way and always will. Get over it. NCAA is a better route. More options, more flexibilty, more time to develop.

Anon
Thanks for pointing out the dummy's name who pretends he knows something. Hey Joe, did you look at the end of year CHL rankings before putting your joke of a list together. In case you missed it... CHL teams ranked 1-10:

Rouyn-Noranda Huskies (54-7-0-1)

Prince Albert Raiders (51-9-2-2)

Drummondville Voltigeurs (48-11-2-1)

Ottawa 67’s (46-11-3-2)

London Knights (44-12-6-1)

Halifax Mooseheads (46-14-2-1)

Everett Silvertips (45-14-2-2)

Baie-Comeau Drakkar (44-14-2-2)

Vancouver Giants (44-14-2-2)

Saginaw Spirit (42-15-2-3)

The QMJHL had 4 of the top 10, and 2 of the top 3 yet you rank the Q a distant 3rd? Even below some pretty weak leagues. Your agenda is pretty clear Joe. Publish whatever b.s. you can to try to make sure the top New England kids don't consider the Q. If you're going to pretend to be knowledgeable, why don't you at least try to be accurate and let people decide for themselves what is the best path to their own development. More fake news. Dummy!
You're doing yourself a disservice by not reading the article. He didn't say the Q teams weren't good or tha the league was 6th best on the ice. His ratings are based purely on advancement. It's stated, clear as day.

He didn't say Q teams aren't good?
"The QMJHL is still hanging on to the number six spot. The league while still producing some NHL talent has largely become an afterthought in Canada."
Nothing further from the truth!

The list of the Top 10 CHL teams just came out and the QMJHL has 3 of the top 4 spots in the whole CHL (includes the QMJHL, the OHL, and the WHL). So much for the QMJHL being an afterthought. What a moron this guy is. The Q is the best juinior league in the world and has been for a loooong time. Stop with the stupidity please.

Anon
The list of the Top 10 CHL teams just came out and the QMJHL has 3 of the top 4 spots in the whole CHL (includes the QMJHL, the OHL, and the WHL). So much for the QMJHL being an afterthought. What a moron this guy is. The Q is the best juinior league in the world and has been for a loooong time. Stop with the stupidity please.
The Q is one of the worst Junior leagues in the world, absolutely no defense is played in that league as with the rest of the CHL

Hahahahaha! Moron!

Anon
I won't argue that the Q is a great league but I think you are missing the point of the article and how the rankings were determined. The rankings aren't about who would beat who, which league produced the most NHL draft picks, placed the most kids on pro teams, etc. The rankings are based upon moving players along to "the next level". When using that as a criteria, USHL is ALWAYS going to come out on top since over 90% of the players move on to either NCAA or pro teams.

I don't think he's missing the point. The writer has a clear agenda and is trying to play the part to discourage New England kids from heading to the Q. He is trying to do his part to keep the top talent in New England. I hate bias journalism. Don't put your own opinion in your articles, just report accurate information and let people decide for themselves what is the best path. Thats your job Nd youll earn a lot more credibility that way. The writer just sounds ignorant when trying to lie to people about the Q.

Anon
I don't think he's missing the point. The writer has a clear agenda and is trying to play the part to discourage New England kids from heading to the Q. He is trying to do his part to keep the top talent in New England. I hate bias journalism. Don't put your own opinion in your articles, just report accurate information and let people decide for themselves what is the best path. Thats your job Nd youll earn a lot more credibility that way. The writer just sounds ignorant when trying to lie to people about the Q.
He isn't from New England. So much for bias journalism.

NTDP u18 team would beat any team from Q. FACT!

That's an opinion, not a fact. You're too dumb to know the difference

I assume you're kidding. The USNDP is in 7th place in their division (out of eight teams). They finished in 5th place in their division last year. No chance those kids could compete with any of the qmjhl teams. They would get destroyed by the top teams in the Q. And, that's big boy hockey up there fellas. These kids would actually get hurt.

The U17 team takes most of the USHL losses. The U18 team wins most of it's USHL games but plays a college heavy schedule. The result in the standigs is a mix of the two teams but since your so knowledgeable about all things hockey I'm sure you knew that. The U18's would do just fine in the Q.

Just fine being mostly winning....

Anon
I assume you're kidding. The USNDP is in 7th place in their division (out of eight teams). They finished in 5th place in their division last year. No chance those kids could compete with any of the qmjhl teams. They would get destroyed by the top teams in the Q. And, that's big boy hockey up there fellas. These kids would actually get hurt.
The "Q" is one of the worst Junior Leagues in North America as they play very little defense, as with most of the CHL. The vast majority of scouts rate the USHL and the "O" as the the top leagues in this part of the world. "Big boy hockey", give me a break.

Hahaha. Clueless

Anon
Hahaha. Clueless
NO, not really.

Yeah, completely clueless. The Q is head and shoulders better than any US junior league. No contest

Anon
Yeah, completely clueless. The Q is head and shoulders better than any US junior league. No contest
The Q isn't remotely close to the USHL, ask any Pro scout. Your postilion is laughable, it's been years since the Q was a good league.

Comical comments from someone who is obviously extremely ignorant about these leagues. There is no comparison between them. The QMJHL is historically the best league in the CHL and is much stronger than the USHL. It is not even debatable. Not even close

Anon
Comical comments from someone who is obviously extremely ignorant about these leagues. There is no comparison between them. The QMJHL is historically the best league in the CHL and is much stronger than the USHL. It is not even debatable. Not even close
You are a complete idiot, it's been years since the Q was rated a "top league", it's now consistently behind the "O" and the "W", and now behind the USHL. All you have to do is look it up, there lot's of data out there on it. Sorry your kid is regulated to that league, hope he like playing at a Canadian College or the ECHL

Yo, you do know that most of us just want to play somewhere where the coach is legit, the league is legit and the snowbunnies are legit, right?

You are a dummy. No clue about what you are saying. The Q is consistently the top in the CHL. Meaning, it is the top Jr league in the world. Behind the USHL? Hahahaha you're funny bro! Dummy.

Anon
You are a dummy. No clue about what you are saying. The Q is consistently the top in the CHL. Meaning, it is the top Jr league in the world. Behind the USHL? Hahahaha you're funny bro! Dummy.
Your a complete idiot, take your head out of your _ss, this isn't 20 years ago.

Are you talking about the data that has the QMJHL occupying 4 of the top 10 spots in the CHL? Or the number one team ranked in the CHL? So is that the data you're talking about? Hahahahaha! Fake news. Clueless.:joy:

Anon
Are you talking about the data that has the QMJHL occupying 4 of the top 10 spots in the CHL? Or the number one team ranked in the CHL? So is that the data you're talking about? Hahahahaha! Fake news. Clueless.:joy:
Oh yeah, some subjective ranking where teams don't even play each other? How about looking at the number draft picks over the last several years you a__wipe

I'd say the CHL officials I know a little bit more about how the teams stack up then you do you dummy. So you're claiming to know more about each of the teams in the qmjhl, the OHL, in the WHL, and how they measure up against each other? Why don't you leave it to the experts dumb dumb.

Anon
I'd say the CHL officials I know a little bit more about how the teams stack up then you do you dummy. So you're claiming to know more about each of the teams in the qmjhl, the OHL, in the WHL, and how they measure up against each other? Why don't you leave it to the experts dumb dumb.
You wouldn't be an expert, just google it and find out? You will see that the Q is ranked behind the USHL, OHL, and WHL, consistently, sorry your kid couldn't get into a real college.

You make a very weak argument. The question is, is the QMJHL the weakest league in the CHL like people are saying in this post. Based on the experts who live in the world of the CHL, the qmjhl is not the weakest. To the contrary, it is the strongest. If you're looking for facts, the league officials in the CHL will give more accurate information then dummies on the dboard. But, let me ask, why do you care so much that you want the Q to be the weakest league in the CHL? Your kid did not get any attention from the league so you are angry? That would be a good bet. Get over it bud.

You looking for data? How about NHL Central Scouting? Would they have a better idea than you do about where the talent is? Hmmmm, let's take a look at the NHL's most recent draft list. Here's a summary of the top 31 (first round) projections.
NHL 2020 First Round Projections:
QMJHL 7 (including #1 overall)
OHL 8
WHL 4
NCAA 1
USHL 2 (#18 and #25 - Wow, that's impressive! What a great league!)
Europe 9
Yeah, looks like the Q sucks and the USHL is great. Hahaha!
Dummy

"there lot's of data out there on it". Hahahahaha! What a moron!

Anon
There is not one compelling reason to go to the Q. None. Bias or no bias. Few who have gone have had any success. Most have flamed out where if they went NCAA you never know. CHL is NHL/AHL by age 20 or bust. Why would anyone do that when NCAA gives you 3-5 more years to develope and guess what, a college degree if you don't make it professionally.

"The Q isn't remotely close to the USHL, ask any Pro scout. Your postilion is laughable, it's been years since the Q was a good league."
Take a quick look at NHL Central Scouting ratings. QMJHL is muuuuch stronger than the USHL. Ask any pro Scout! Hahaha dummy

With all this Q bashing I decided to just take a quick look to see if there was any truth to either side of the argument. I have read more than a few comments that the Q is well behind the OHL and the WHL, but based on actual results, it looks like the Q is the strongest league in the CHL based on the last few seasons. As someone posted above, the Q is very strong in terms of CHL rankings and NHL draft pick rankings. Last year the final in the Memorial Cup was between two Q teams head to head for the CHL championship. The Q won the Memorial Cup last year and the year before.
Last year's final CHL rankings before the Memorial Cup, the Q had 4 of the Top 10 in the CHL, including #1 and #3. From a neutral perspective, the Q is definitely not behind the OHL or WHL. Based on stats and past recent history, the Q is definitely the strongest league. You can argue with that if you want, but facts don't lie.

Yeah but that's just the last couple years.

The last 10 Memorial Cups:
The Q has won 5, the OHL has won 4 and the WHL has won 1.
The Q is far from being the weakest league in the CHL. Fake news.

All this blowhard crap doesn't matter. CHL and USHL are all top quality leagues. The bottom line is what makes sense for your kid. If your kid is from New England and has a goal of NCAA, NHL or both, there is still no comparison. There are no compelling reasons to go to the Q. If he goes, goodbye to NCAA. If he think's he's NHL material then he has to play in that league until he's 20 unless he goes to the NHL in that time. He can't play in the AHL. So if he plays in the Q till he's 20, then he must turn pro. There are no other options. If he turn pro and goes to the AHL or ECHL, then he can only do that for one year to preserve his education money from the Q. So he must either give up the hockey dream after one year or give up the the education benefit to keep after pro hockey.

It's all non sensical when you can go the USHL route, leave for college when your ready, then in college play for four years until your 23-25. Perhaps the kid is pro ready by then or if not, he still has a degree.

No junior hockey route is perfect but the flexiblity USHL/NCAA offers make the decsion a no brainer.

Will be interesting to see how Q-eligible prospects choose their path the next few years. More Quebec and Maritimes kids appear to be kicking tires on Prep/USHL/NCAA route lately. However, it's looking like the Q is at worst, catching up with OHL as a legitimate fast path to pro.

I know there are other factors, such as USHL rights holders' style of play, and the players' tolerance for US school work. Both those things played a role in some 03s picking Q.

10 years ago, 99% of those kids stuck with CHL. Nowadays, the numbers are shifting a bit.

This is whole thread wasn't discussing whether it's a good option to go to one league over another. The point of this thread is that the dummy that published an article saying the Q is so far behind all the other leagues is just a joke. Even to say yhe Q is so weak it has become an afterthough? Completely false. Regarding which League to go to, it should totally be up to the kid and parents and should talk to their advisors to understand the pros and cons of both. The CHL isnt the wrong path for Americans, just as the NCAA isnt the wrong path for Canadians. Just diffrrent paths. Let's face it, many horror stories out there about kids hanging onto NCAA commitments only to get screwed in the end. Just sayin

Any my point was it doesn't matter. Argue all day but the leagues will never play each other so who cares what someone writes. What most on this board want to know is what's the best path for their kid and that is a one sided argument. Yes comittments are taken away but that doesn't mean the kid took the wrong path. It means they ended up not being good enough. Same goes for going up north. You only get one shot at it. There are no do-overs and the USHL/NCAA path gives you the most time and flexiblity to develop. Just sayin.

Most people come on the dboard to figure out what the best path is for their kid? Hahaha you're a clown. This is the last place in the world anyone should get advice on which path is best for their kid. Just sayin

Thanks wingnut but I didn't say people come here to figure out what path is best. I said people on here only care about which path is best. Niether league is around here. No one has a stake. No one cares how much you waive your pom poms for the Q. Bottom line is no one goes there because there is no reason to. Might be a good league but it's a ****ty path.

Anon
This is whole thread wasn't discussing whether it's a good option to go to one league over another. The point of this thread is that the dummy that published an article saying the Q is so far behind all the other leagues is just a joke. Even to say yhe Q is so weak it has become an afterthough? Completely false. Regarding which League to go to, it should totally be up to the kid and parents and should talk to their advisors to understand the pros and cons of both. The CHL isnt the wrong path for Americans, just as the NCAA isnt the wrong path for Canadians. Just diffrrent paths. Let's face it, many horror stories out there about kids hanging onto NCAA commitments only to get screwed in the end. Just sayin
"The criteria that was used in rating these twenty leagues, was how do teams within the leagues compare when developing players who move on to the NHL, NCAA, Canadian University, USHL, NAHL, Canada Junior A and Major Junior hockey programs."

So it was never intended to be "who beats who, head to head." Using this style of rating, the USHL will always #1 because they develop the most players that move onto the next level, be it NCAA or pro's, nearly 100% of the USHL players play at a level past Tier I juniors. Yes, the article is extremely biased because of the qualifying criteria the author used.

Interesting that you got hung up on how good the Q is vs. other leagues while I got the message of tier-III juniors for a 20 year old kid isn't going to lead to anything.

https://theqmjhl.ca/article/qmjhl-grants-1198500-in-scholarships-for-2017-18-school-year

I did the math and QMJHL players get only about $12,000 per year in educational money combined from the QMJHL and their team. That's on top of the weekly money the players get. That seems low for USA standards, but you have to look at the cost of university in Canada. There are many excellent Canadian universities and typically the $12,000 will more than cover all schooling costs per year. On top of that, the universities typically offer full scholarships to the hockey players. Even though they already have their schooling paid for by the QMJHL. How this works in Canada is all funds are put into an educational account and once the schooling money is withdrawn by the university, the player can actually withdraw the extra money for his own spending purposes - usually about $15k per year. Completely different than NCAA rules obviously. Very good system and hockey players not only get a free education, but actually get paid to play for their university. As far as the level of hockey goes, it is excellent. Random Canadian University teams go down to New England each year and compete very well with Hockey East teams. Last year, the University of New Brunswick actually played and beat a couple of AHL teams. You can put down the CHL path all you want, but great hockey development and educational opportunities are available for players good enough to play at that level. Otherwise, the NCAA route will typically offer kids one or two-year scholarship, screw around with that quite a bit as well, and Kids come out of school owing hundreds of thousands of dollars. It's just ignorant to say that NCAA is the only logical path.

Thanks Bernie Sanders but you put so much misleading information in there it's not even worth responding to.

Too much info for you to absorb all in one sitting huh? Good info here and dispels a lot of inaccurate b.s. on the dboard.

What a BS artist. You conveniently left out that you get one year of education benefit for each year played, so unless you make a team at 16 you don't get four years of benefit. A US kid also is not a Canadian citizen so they don't get in country tuition. You also make it seem like kids would go there for the purposes of playing Canadian college hockey which you incorreclty imply that you also get a free ride. Not true. But if you get a free ride, you get to keep the CHL education money. Also not true. Spew all the nonsense you want but no one is going to the Q. Give it up.

anon
What a BS artist. You conveniently left out that you get one year of education benefit for each year played, so unless you make a team at 16 you don't get four years of benefit. A US kid also is not a Canadian citizen so they don't get in country tuition. You also make it seem like kids would go there for the purposes of playing Canadian college hockey which you incorreclty imply that you also get a free ride. Not true. But if you get a free ride, you get to keep the CHL education money. Also not true. Spew all the nonsense you want but no one is going to the Q. Give it up.
Math isn't your strong suit I see. Kids can play in the Q at 20, so up to 5 years if the make a team at 16 years old.
Yes, US kids who play in the Q get the same university tuition as Canadians. Not sure about non-hockey players but this is true for US hockey players. There are a few former QMJHL American kids up there right now going to school so i have firsthand knowledge of how it works.
Free ride plus get paid. Fact.
I'm certainly not trying to recruit kids to the Q or Canadian universities. Just pointing out the facts because dummies like you spew nonsense and confuse everyone about the actual situation while trying to put down any US kid who chooses that route.. You need to learn to keep an open mind buddy. It's not just your way or the highway. There are no right paths or wrong paths, but there are definitely different paths which can both be great for different kids.

The CHL is definitely the unconventional route for Americans just like the NCAA is the unconventional route for Canadians.

There are many more Canadian's going NCAA than their are American's going CHL and that gap is widening. Wonder why that is when you can go to the Q, play for five years, get paid while your playing, get paid while your going to school and school is free. Hmmm....

Maybe one reason for that is because there is no restriction about going back to play in the CHL once they've played in the NCAA. Many of those college players, both Canadian and American play for a year in the NCAA and after realizing it's not all it's cracked up to be, they had to the CHL for real development. Meaning, there's no risk in going the NCAA route. They can always go back.

Many? No not many.

The Q is the weakest in the CHL. Just ask any scout. Almost an afterthought. Oh, the Q has the top 2 ranked teams in the CHL, and 3 of the top 4 teams in the CHL? Yeah, but who puts these rankings together? Oh, the CHL. Crap.:sob: