Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How to start PR for your kid

If his name was Schwartz and he had still had 30 pts in 60 NHL games then he's still be in the NHL. 90% of his success isn't because of the name, it's because of the production. If he had 5 pts he's be out of the league. His name, his dad and his uncle don't skate or shoot for him so someone had to put in some work.

Everyone has an excuse and wants a shortcut. Gee my kid sucks but he doesn't suck because he sucks, he sucks because I'm not connected so if only I could change my name or put highlights on youtube he'd be a star. Help your kid get better as a player so when he's seen he'll be ready to be seen.

anon
Anon
anon
It makes a huge difference. If you think it doesn\'t matter go and look at all of the legacy kids with the recognizable name on their sweater. Were they any better as a young player? 95% of the time it is not really. Look at the current BC roster - and that team pretty much blows for being a powerhouse which could recruit any kid they want out of Jr. Hockey.
And the kids who get \'moved along\' sometimes just get better by playing on the better teams with better players. Assessing talent in the sport is too subjective to think PR doesn\'t matter. We aren\'t talking about 100 meter times here. We\'re talking about a bunch of old guys often with bad eyesight who just love to hang with the ex-NHL dads.
I think you missed the point. I didn't say the PR Machine doesn't help surface opportunities. But, then he gets there, and can't play at the level advertised. Starts dropping down in the lineup, doesn't play special teams (which tends to be a large number of minutes in Midgets/HS/Prep/junior), eventually stars being a healthy scratch. Stats aren't on Elite Prospects for all to see because he can't get on the ice.

And, pretty much every interview I've seen with college coaches talks about character, on the ice and off, being a differentiator. Does that mean the kid with the gaudy stats doesn't make the team? Nope. But, so does the kid that knows his role, works his butt off and, as I saw one college coach put it, is the kind of kid he'd want his own daughter to date.

I also think you're confusing your own ability to evaluate the player with the name on the sweater. In my experience, the sons of NHL players are consistently given better instruction in the things that matter, and more often than not end up being better players that the average kid whose dad didn't play. Good example is Ryan Donato. Remember how outraged people were when he was drafted? Friends and Family pick! I'm personally glad they traded him, but the kid CAN shoot the puck and, for some orgs, that's good enough. Sweeney and Neely saw that, too.
"Good example is Ryan Donato. Remember how outraged people were when he was drafted? Friends and Family pick! I'm personally glad they traded him, but the kid CAN shoot the puck and, for some orgs, that's good enough. Sweeney and Neely saw that, too."

Ryan Donato is a great example. Obviously ushered through at every level. Boston Mission playing for his dad's selected coaches, Dexter playing for his uncle, Harvard playing for his dad, Bruins just like his dad, much to the surprise of the Bruins scouting staff he gets selected a couple rounds higher than they had him slotted... and guess what? The kid who has been moved along at every level to put up points (and placed on every PP in his life) it surprising turns out he can't play the game responsibly enough to be a Bruin. Everyone who saw him play as a Peewee to the pros see he never bothered to learn to backcheck, pick-up a man, just dangle near the blue line waiting for the puck to come out and play oneway hockey. Hey, it puts up points and that gets you noticed. Sweeny and Neely saw that indeed and he's gone.

Now you tell me, if that kid had 'Schwartz' on the back of his sweater there is no way in hell 90% of his 'success' would have happened.
What if his name was Vatrano? Would he still get to the NHL despite the fact he "can't play the game responsibly enough to be a Bruin?"

Nobody got more chances that Frankie, and it had nothing to do with his name or connections. Washed out of NTDP. Washed out of BC. Washed out of the Bruins - he basically was a healthy scratch for half a season because they wouldn't expose him to waivers. Had more penalties (11) than points (2) his last 1/4 season with the Bruins.

Just signed for 3 and $7.6 and STILL doesn't backcheck. Because he can snipe.

Take jeff cox out for a round of golf or a nice steak dinner and lil johnnie will get their press.

Stay far away from CH and HockeyConcepts. They are the biggest scammers. They had an ex Fed Ex driver on staff saying he was an Agent. He also works at HighEnd low results hockey. I understand that people want to be something in life but if you do not have the experience or the resources do not take people's money and time.

Fraud Alert !
Stay far away from CH and HockeyConcepts. They are the biggest scammers. They had an ex Fed Ex driver on staff saying he was an Agent. He also works at HighEnd low results hockey. I understand that people want to be something in life but if you do not have the experience or the resources do not take people's money and time.
You sound butt hurt. Who cares what someone did for work earlier in their life? I was an usher in a movie theater, has no impact on what I do now.

If he doesn't know hockey, that's different. But, if it's who I think you mean, I don't think he's there any more, and he does know the game.

Not all PR is good PR. Recent examples of kids Getting named “ top uncommitted’ and their progression has ended , Plateaued, several in same age group and younger are better 6 -12 months later. Gotta wonder if the PR machine hurt these kids.

Lacrosse players post pr video after each season, as early as freshman year or even 8th grade. Why not in hockey too? Hockey dads and boys are less tech savvy?

ANON
Take jeff cox out for a round of golf or a nice steak dinner and lil johnnie will get their press.
Or find some old NHL'er, buy him a steak dinner and a bucket full of Brandy Old Fashioned Sweets, offer him $200 to go to your kid's game and then introduce the old booze bag NHL'er to Cox and tell him the kid is the nephew of the washed-out player. Lineage! Lineage! Lineage!