Visit The DBoard Online Store - https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
U14 Options for 20-21

My son is a late birth month 2006, so he will not be on the HS team for 2020-21, what are some good u14 teams to keep developing at?

Utltimatley west of Boston is preferred, marlborough will be the absolute furthest I would travel west, Andover north and Newton/Needham south. The goal is to get him ready to play hockey at a very strong public HS, if he excels we may look at other options. He is top 5 skaters in his grade (mostly 2007's), but our HS is very competitive and may not make the Varsity team as a Freshman (some kids even stay back to play).

being a late birth month we are caught up in that split season vs full season bull****. I know u14 half season teams are stronger particularly Wiz, Eagles and Islanders elite, but they are geared towards older prep players. So we are looking for prob the next tier down, any suggestions?

Re: U14 Options for 20-21

Way to early to say. The team and league landscape completely changes at U14. You may have some stronger orgs that don’t even field a u14 Elite team (Islanders this year), some new teams pop up, etc. You’ll start to get a sense after the New Year. Just enjoy the next few months.

IMO It's never to early to ask or put feelers out and get advice. My son plays at an org that has had FS U14 in the past but not this year. He is an 06 and his current team has several players with late birthdays. We've (coach & parents) had tentative discussions on the subject of 20-21. My point being you are not alone in this situation. Something will come up.

Got it, thanks

My son is in the same boat. Mid year 06, probably won't make varsity so I'm not sure what to do. Full season U14 and play JV? Top 5 skater for his grade and probably top 2 defenseman but HS program is very strong. If he did make varsity he probably wouldn't play a whole lot.

Anon
My son is in the same boat. Mid year 06, probably won't make varsity so I'm not sure what to do. Full season U14 and play JV? Top 5 skater for his grade and probably top 2 defenseman but HS program is very strong. If he did make varsity he probably wouldn't play a whole lot.
Which teams are the best full season options?

Top Gun. Look at the great coaches they have. Pathetic

3 years ahead of you guys. My advice, Realistically project whether he'll make Varsity or JV. If its Varsity, half season, if its JV play full season.

Anon
3 years ahead of you guys. My advice, Realistically project whether he'll make Varsity or JV. If its Varsity, half season, if its JV play full season.
most JV teams have a game and a practice a week. you should confirm what yours have.

I think what was being said - is that for development, full season is a better option than JV regardless of the ice time the JV team gets. I haven't seen too many JV programs, but those that I have seen have not been very good.

ANON
I think what was being said - is that for development, full season is a better option than JV regardless of the ice time the JV team gets. I haven't seen too many JV programs, but those that I have seen have not been very good.
Agree. Even Prep JV is where hockey dreams go to die.

Anon
My son is a late birth month 2006, so he will not be on the HS team for 2020-21, what are some good u14 teams to keep developing at?

Utltimatley west of Boston is preferred, marlborough will be the absolute furthest I would travel west, Andover north and Newton/Needham south. The goal is to get him ready to play hockey at a very strong public HS, if he excels we may look at other options. He is top 5 skaters in his grade (mostly 2007's), but our HS is very competitive and may not make the Varsity team as a Freshman (some kids even stay back to play).

being a late birth month we are caught up in that split season vs full season bull****. I know u14 half season teams are stronger particularly Wiz, Eagles and Islanders elite, but they are geared towards older prep players. So we are looking for prob the next tier down, any suggestions?
If you can't find something that you are comfortable with at U-14, look at U-15. I have found the programs to be a bit more stable in terms of kids actually playing the season than U-14.