Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prep School Revisits

I have found that most kids are happy wherever they go. Once they get there the majority make friends and enjoy it and feel they made the right decision. The only kids I see that are not happy are the ones who don't play as much as they feel they should. They then blame the coach, the school.... If you have a school you are confident your kid can play at chances are he will be happy there. Only other factor might be a truly lower end hockey team. No fun going 1 and 27.

How about you list the schools you have offers with and we can help guide you based on what we know. Many of our kids and friends kids play prep.

Avon, Cushing, New Hampton, Westminster

If I was choosing between those schools and assuming they schools are a good fit for you both academically and hockey wise I would factor in the following to decide
Cost, is one significantly cheaper than the others?
Proximity to home. Nice if parents/friends can come see you play or you can go home relatively easy.
Campus. One of these is kind of a dump.
Coach. Is there one guy you would really like to play for?
Future outlook. Is one team looking strong for the next few years?

My kid did not go there and I know very little about the school but the few games I saw Avon made it look like a great place to play hockey. Great support from the other students.

Anon
Avon and Westie (good hockey and academics) are in a completely different class than Cushing (good hockey, crap academics) and New Hampton (so-so hockey and crap academics).

anon
Anon
Avon and Westie (good hockey and academics) are in a completely different class than Cushing (good hockey, crap academics) and New Hampton (so-so hockey and crap academics).
For the dollar I would recommend Cushing. The education is the same as the others with more hands on approach for the kids, the coaching is top notch, and it’s Coed for the full high school experience. Campus is very nice also, lots of upgrades. 2nd would be Westy, but very uptight and proper 24x7, same education as any prep school, just very formal, think insurance execs..Avon is just a constant competition, all boys, all good at athletics, need to be type A personality to be successful there or get walked over. No idea about New Hampton. Good luck, any of these schools would be an accomplishment, just depends on person fit.

Anon
anon
Anon
For the dollar I would recommend Cushing. The education is the same as the others with more hands on approach for the kids, the coaching is top notch, and it’s Coed for the full high school experience. Campus is very nice also, lots of upgrades. 2nd would be Westy, but very uptight and proper 24x7, same education as any prep school, just very formal, think insurance execs..Avon is just a constant competition, all boys, all good at athletics, need to be type A personality to be successful there or get walked over. No idea about New Hampton. Good luck, any of these schools would be an accomplishment, just depends on person fit.
Cushing's campus is depressing, especially in winter. No town, nothing to do but get in trouble from boredom. Academia are sub-par among Prep schools.

Avon is all boys so is your son ok with that, very good hockey decent academics
Westy is coed part of founders and good at both hockey and academics
Cushing has a great hockey program and the school is above average.
New Hampton is decent hockey especially with new coach but below average academics.

Anon
Anon
anon
Anon
Cushing's campus is depressing, especially in winter. No town, nothing to do but get in trouble from boredom. Academia are sub-par among Prep schools.
Depressing? During hockey season? It’s the most wonderful time of the year! And the girls! And the dances, and the activities! So far from depressing at any of the schools mentioned, even Avon brings the girls school over a few times a week

Anon
Anon
Anon
anon
Anon
Cushing\'s campus is depressing, especially in winter. No town, nothing to do but get in trouble from boredom. Academia are sub-par among Prep schools.
Depressing? During hockey season? It’s the most wonderful time of the year! And the girls! And the dances, and the activities! So far from depressing at any of the schools mentioned, even Avon brings the girls school over a few times a week
If you've ever been to Ashburnham in January you'd know what I mean.

Town consists for three pizza places and a dive bar that changes owners like every three years.

Anon
Might be a legit question. Toured the schools for 45 minutes, interview for 30 minutes now asked to make a decision without going back in campus. If a kid gets into 2 or 3 schools that’s a tough way to make a choice. If it were my son he would base it on the level of hotness. You had a good point until you called him a snowflake, deserve to take a beaten for that one, no?
Yeah I'm sure they'll solve the prep school incoming student visit issue right before they deal with putting their school back together after this disaster. You kidding me? They want your first payment in the bank ASAP, they won't be waiting around for you to make your decision.

anon
Anon
Might be a legit question. Toured the schools for 45 minutes, interview for 30 minutes now asked to make a decision without going back in campus. If a kid gets into 2 or 3 schools that’s a tough way to make a choice. If it were my son he would base it on the level of hotness. You had a good point until you called him a snowflake, deserve to take a beaten for that one, no?
Yeah I'm sure they'll solve the prep school incoming student visit issue right before they deal with putting their school back together after this disaster. You kidding me? They want your first payment in the bank ASAP, they won't be waiting around for you to make your decision.
So instead, the answer is "we understand there is a pandemic but make sure to mail your first payment without revisit" that makes zero sense.

Anon
anon
Anon
Yeah I\\\'m sure they\\\'ll solve the prep school incoming student visit issue right before they deal with putting their school back together after this disaster. You kidding me? They want your first payment in the bank ASAP, they won\\\'t be waiting around for you to make your decision.
So instead, the answer is \"we understand there is a pandemic but make sure to mail your first payment without revisit\" that makes zero sense.
Doesn't sound like you're a Prep School family. You aren't in charge, big guy. School has all the cards.

You know you have to donate beyond tuition, I assume? Hope? Otherwise you can kiss your kid's TOI goodbye.

Anon
Anon
anon
Anon
Yeah I\\\\\\\'m sure they\\\\\\\'ll solve the prep school incoming student visit issue right before they deal with putting their school back together after this disaster. You kidding me? They want your first payment in the bank ASAP, they won\\\\\\\'t be waiting around for you to make your decision.
So instead, the answer is \\\"we understand there is a pandemic but make sure to mail your first payment without revisit\\\" that makes zero sense.
Doesn't sound like you're a Prep School family. You aren't in charge, big guy. School has all the cards.

You know you have to donate beyond tuition, I assume? Hope? Otherwise you can kiss your kid's TOI goodbye.
Will a 50K donation do it or no? Money isn't the problem, not knowing what the best fit is what we are attempting to figure out and it is difficult without going back.

Ask for a list of students your son can contact and ask if they have any videos of classes or events on campus. You should be able to get a pretty good feel for the school. Granted they will be polishing what they give you but its better than complaining to the Dboard.

We did a virtual revisit and it wasn't too bad. Staff answered many questions, students gave their feedback on questions, Head coach called us directly to go over summer expectations and they sent us a virtual tour of the campus which was high quality. It works for now considering where we are currently.