View Entire Thread
Re: NDTP 04

What the heck happened?

You can consider the CA goalie a MA kid...sorry just can't

How about 3 total years 02/03/04??

2 Mass Hockey skaters.

Out of how many Elite kids??

Awesome development model we have here. Great job MA Hockey!

Hacks, cronyism and favors only get your so far.

MA kids, go play Prep, then hopefully USHL/BCHL for a year and pray for a college look

Anon
MA kids, go play Prep, then hopefully USHL/BCHL for a year and pray for a college look
Not surprising that no MA 04' made it.

There a few "elite" players; F from Thayer and D from Cushing but Mass players don't have a real chance when the Scouts live in Michigan.

The 03's were the same and even had a deeper pool to draw on. F from Cushing/Sebs/dexter/Tabor and D from Dexter/Sebs/ Thayer

It's who you know and US Hockey just proved it

AnonAbe
Anon
Not surprising that no MA 04' made it.

There a few "elite" players; F from Thayer and D from Cushing but Mass players don't have a real chance when the Scouts live in Michigan.

The 03's were the same and even had a deeper pool to draw on. F from Cushing/Sebs/dexter/Tabor and D from Dexter/Sebs/ Thayer

It's who you know and US Hockey just proved it
No Mass 04 made because they're not good enough, not because they weren't seen. Scouts all over the rinks in the fall. Please.

As far as the 03's. Same thing. Those 7 kids you mentioned aren't close to National level players, some of them aren't even that impressive locally.

Maybe 3-4 kids at the 03 level from MA will even play meaningful D1 minutes.

It's a poor development model run mostly by crooks and friends/families.

The amount of $$ spent in 10 years, in aggregate, by the 02/04/04 birth years (in the millions I'm sure) must be staggering, with little or NO results.

Suckers. Everyone.

anon
AnonAbe
Anon
Not surprising that no MA 04\' made it.

There a few \"elite\" players; F from Thayer and D from Cushing but Mass players don\'t have a real chance when the Scouts live in Michigan.

The 03\'s were the same and even had a deeper pool to draw on. F from Cushing/Sebs/dexter/Tabor and D from Dexter/Sebs/ Thayer

It\'s who you know and US Hockey just proved it
No Mass 04 made because they're not good enough, not because they weren't seen. Scouts all over the rinks in the fall. Please.

As far as the 03's. Same thing. Those 7 kids you mentioned aren't close to National level players, some of them aren't even that impressive locally.

Maybe 3-4 kids at the 03 level from MA will even play meaningful D1 minutes.

It's a poor development model run mostly by crooks and friends/families.

The amount of $$ spent in 10 years, in aggregate, by the 02/04/04 birth years (in the millions I'm sure) must be staggering, with little or NO results.

Suckers. Everyone.
who hurt you so badly!

There are definitely problems with the development system in MA. Most of it is too many club programs bilking people of $3500 each for programs no better than town.
But 5 03s are already committed to D1 schools
If you ask local college coaches, they will tell you they have at least 6 more they are watching closely.
And a couple more will develop to that level in the next 2 years also.
It is a pretty solid birth year.

ANON
There are definitely problems with the development system in MA. Most of it is too many club programs bilking people of $3500 each for programs no better than town.
If you ask local college coaches, they will tell you they have at least 6 more they are watching closely.
05's are weak

Thanks Dad

ANON
Verbal commits and watching doesn't mean anything. Plenty of "commits" never see a NLI. Just look at the 02's

Some of these "commits" will never play D1 or if they do, they won't be top players.

There's 4-5 03's that will play D1 for sure, with really only 2 locks (PH and JT) to play right from the outset. The rest are role players at best and definitely don't have a future in the game. There's not a single Dman in the entire MA hockey that will be drafted. Maybe 1 will play D1 at some point.

That's not solid birth year considering the hype and dollars thrown around for 10 years..

Not sure who PH is but I am sure he will do just fine.

The 03's and 04's are equally not good - for all of the hype! See how well the development model of the EHF did? You have highly touted EHF super stars at prep schools that didn't play more than a couple minutes a game (a couple didn't even step on the ice for some low end teams).

The only ones that really have a shot at going any where are the ones that go out to the NTDP.

Got a RI kid in there though...

Anon
Can’t be a product of PHC

All these kids making NDTP or committing to college and the rest of us just as deserving sitting here like...WTF! No school until May, F NDTP, F College Coaches, F it all, now we just gonna hurt em when we play em

Cohogs
Anon
Product of kings which is bashed constantly to

Anon
Cohogs
Anon
I think his dad does something in hockey coincidentally

Anon
Anon
Cohogs
Anon
I think his dad does something in hockey coincidentally
Surprise!

Dad is a D1 hockey coach...

Brother just came out of NTDP and heading to PC next year.

6 had brothers who played ndtp. 3 have dads who played in the nhl. Almost all kids have already committed to college 🤔. Interesting to follow this group over the next few years...

Anon
6 had brothers who played ndtp. 3 have dads who played in the nhl. Almost all kids have already committed to college 🤔. Interesting to follow this group over the next few years...
Bingo

And for the poster a little ways back, the Cushing 03 played for the USA last Summer and the Thayer/Cushing 04's never had a chance with the nepotism. They are both well deserving.

The 03 talent is deep in Mass and there will be 8-10 play meaningful D1 minutes

I honestly think this time off will prove to be an eye opener across the 02/03/04 landscape, never before has every single player been forced to take a break from the ice and depending on what all of these kids are doing during the break when it starts back up the ice might be more level with a lot of "Who is that kid, where did he come from?"
Next fall/winter is going to be so competitive you will see who really wants and deserves it vs it being handed to them. God Bless!

That is a really good point!

Great Point, but last names will always be last names and friends and family will always be friends and family, really hope that your scenario comes true though.

Anon
Great Point, but last names will always be last names and friends and family will always be friends and family, really hope that your scenario comes true though.
Who you know and your last name is huge when it comes too all these elite level teams. Kids of NHL players get a lot of consideration. Not to mention tons of ice time.

It is a very good point. Some kids may miss hockey and work harder to stay in the mix while others may realize they don't really love it and prefer the down time or other things. I can say for my son's age group, many of the kids never take more than a weekend off. They are always on the ice and play every tourney. Good for them if they love it but if not, they will realize now how much time they put into hockey.

anon
It is a very good point. Some kids may miss hockey and work harder to stay in the mix while others may realize they don't really love it and prefer the down time or other things. I can say for my son's age group, many of the kids never take more than a weekend off. They are always on the ice and play every tourney. Good for them if they love it but if not, they will realize now how much time they put into hockey.
Just wait until the girlfriends get their hooks in them...its really over then...but remember...never get involved with something you're not willing to walk away from in 30 seconds...thats the discipline...

Banging hoes and making cash, thats the advice I should give my son?

RI Kid has made the most of his opportunity. Good for him. SSK ‘02
Issue is, without the last name the “rest” never get a chance.
Welcome to America!
Land of the free, home of the brave and where the paths are paved with steamrollers!
This will never change.

Every year it seems like it’s the same complaints when the NTDP team is announced, there’s a bias against Mass/NE kids, only NHL last names get the invite, the scouts are in the Midwest, not here, etc.

I have said over the years that the 04 age group is very strong nationally and internationally, but not quite as strong in NE/Mass. Despite that observation in the past, quite a few Mass/NE kids were invited to the tryout camp. There were 10 Mass/NE kids invited to tryout—just over 20%. Contrary to what has been stated, those kids were regularly seen by local, regional, and national NTDP scouts. Those scouts collectively were at a massive amount of games this season. During the prep holiday tournaments there were even scouts from other regions looking at the prep players. The idea that the scouts aren’t here is simply false.

I look at hockey development based on gaming circuits. Where are the best players playing? That’s where the scouts are because that’s where the best players are. There are just a few main gaming circuits in the US and Mass/NE is one of them. The others are Michigan/Illinois, Minnesota and then everyone else. If you consider the players that regularly play in Mass/NE in Beast and Beast affiliates, Northeast Pack, etc., then the number of kids invited to the NTDP camp from the region expands even further, by 5 more players. That means a total of 15/49 invites, over 30% either are from Mass/NE or regularly play here. Overall, I believe these numbers reflect very positively on the region as one of the primary hockey destinations in the country.

As a gaming circuit, Mass/NE was particularly strong with goalies (3/6) and defenders (7/14), but not as strong with forwards (5/27). By contrast, Minnesota and Michigan were dominant with the forward invites, and deservedly so. Keep in mind a number of players from Michigan and Minnesota have played there for years, but their birthplace is not necessarily one of those states. Again, they play there because they are among the best places to play.

As far as players that ultimately made the team, both goalies are from the region. The NJ Rockets goalie played against the Mass/NE teams all the time. The Dexter/Rats goalie has lived and played in Mass for the past 3 years and someone just told me he has been training here in the summers for a couple years longer than that.

Four defenders are from the region, 2 played in Beast, one EHF/Prep in CT, and one is from NH.

Three forwards are from the region, one from RI who played EHF in Mass and now plays Beast/Northeast Pack, another from Beast/Northeast Pack, and one from Northeast Pack. As with his brother, the RI forward making the team may have surprised some. His brother (also an EHF in Mass kid) has actually done better than expected, he is top 3 on the team in goals and points. Perhaps the thought is that the 04 — who is a different player than his brother — will do well in the program with 2 years of training and development. Keep in mind that a big part of the selection criteria is not only how good the player is now, but how his skills translate to the next level and how he projects over the two years playing and developing in that environment. Although forwards from the region had the fewest invites with 5, 3/5 (60%) made the team.

I believe the Thayer and Brunswick forwards, and Cushing defender just missed out on making the team. They are excellent players, made a significant impact in prep this year playing as 04’s against much older players, and will no doubt be strong DI players down the road. Likewise, there are some excellent players in the region who were not invited to the camp and were scouted quite a bit. The NTDP looks for a number of things in constructing its team, and there are many excellent players who don’t make it annually or even get invited to the camp.

I get the simple and appealing argument that no player born in Mass made the team this year. But looking beyond that surface argument, I actually think there’s a lot to be positive about given how strong the players are here, and the likelihood that the region will continue to develop, attract and retain excellent players. Making the NTDP is just one small measure of overall development. And who the top players in the age group are will no doubt change as the players mature. There will be lots of new faces when this group gets to the World Jrs. in a few years.

A final word on the corona break everyone is taking out of necessity. I actually think the time off will be good for everyone in the long run. Players will be hungry to get back on the ice for summer training, and come into the fall season refreshed and ready to go.

Man, even with the corona break, you have too much time on your hands. Kinda scary. We get it, your son made the squad and he deserves a congrats! The crazier thing is that I know exactly who wrote this great analysis. Still scary though.

Anon
Man, even with the corona break, you have too much time on your hands. Kinda scary. We get it, your son made the squad and he deserves a congrats! The crazier thing is that I know exactly who wrote this great analysis. Still scary though.
Agree. WOW!!!! Who would write that much stuff on the dboard??? At 3 am no less. Dad, get a life! Your boy is not that special. Repeat after me....YOUR BOY IS NOT SPECIAL! Take your hands out of your pants! And he’ll now be at some ho hum public HS in Michigan and that will definitely not serve him well when the hockey comes to a halt.

Anony
Every year it seems like it’s the same complaints when the NTDP team is announced, there’s a bias against Mass/NE kids, only NHL last names get the invite, the scouts are in the Midwest, not here, etc.

I have said over the years that the 04 age group is very strong nationally and internationally, but not quite as strong in NE/Mass. Despite that observation in the past, quite a few Mass/NE kids were invited to the tryout camp. There were 10 Mass/NE kids invited to tryout—just over 20%. Contrary to what has been stated, those kids were regularly seen by local, regional, and national NTDP scouts. Those scouts collectively were at a massive amount of games this season. During the prep holiday tournaments there were even scouts from other regions looking at the prep players. The idea that the scouts aren’t here is simply false.

I look at hockey development based on gaming circuits. Where are the best players playing? That’s where the scouts are because that’s where the best players are. There are just a few main gaming circuits in the US and Mass/NE is one of them. The others are Michigan/Illinois, Minnesota and then everyone else. If you consider the players that regularly play in Mass/NE in Beast and Beast affiliates, Northeast Pack, etc., then the number of kids invited to the NTDP camp from the region expands even further, by 5 more players. That means a total of 15/49 invites, over 30% either are from Mass/NE or regularly play here. Overall, I believe these numbers reflect very positively on the region as one of the primary hockey destinations in the country.

As a gaming circuit, Mass/NE was particularly strong with goalies (3/6) and defenders (7/14), but not as strong with forwards (5/27). By contrast, Minnesota and Michigan were dominant with the forward invites, and deservedly so. Keep in mind a number of players from Michigan and Minnesota have played there for years, but their birthplace is not necessarily one of those states. Again, they play there because they are among the best places to play.

As far as players that ultimately made the team, both goalies are from the region. The NJ Rockets goalie played against the Mass/NE teams all the time. The Dexter/Rats goalie has lived and played in Mass for the past 3 years and someone just told me he has been training here in the summers for a couple years longer than that.

Four defenders are from the region, 2 played in Beast, one EHF/Prep in CT, and one is from NH.

Three forwards are from the region, one from RI who played EHF in Mass and now plays Beast/Northeast Pack, another from Beast/Northeast Pack, and one from Northeast Pack. As with his brother, the RI forward making the team may have surprised some. His brother (also an EHF in Mass kid) has actually done better than expected, he is top 3 on the team in goals and points. Perhaps the thought is that the 04 — who is a different player than his brother — will do well in the program with 2 years of training and development. Keep in mind that a big part of the selection criteria is not only how good the player is now, but how his skills translate to the next level and how he projects over the two years playing and developing in that environment. Although forwards from the region had the fewest invites with 5, 3/5 (60%) made the team.

I believe the Thayer and Brunswick forwards, and Cushing defender just missed out on making the team. They are excellent players, made a significant impact in prep this year playing as 04’s against much older players, and will no doubt be strong DI players down the road. Likewise, there are some excellent players in the region who were not invited to the camp and were scouted quite a bit. The NTDP looks for a number of things in constructing its team, and there are many excellent players who don’t make it annually or even get invited to the camp.

I get the simple and appealing argument that no player born in Mass made the team this year. But looking beyond that surface argument, I actually think there’s a lot to be positive about given how strong the players are here, and the likelihood that the region will continue to develop, attract and retain excellent players. Making the NTDP is just one small measure of overall development. And who the top players in the age group are will no doubt change as the players mature. There will be lots of new faces when this group gets to the World Jrs. in a few years.

A final word on the corona break everyone is taking out of necessity. I actually think the time off will be good for everyone in the long run. Players will be hungry to get back on the ice for summer training, and come into the fall season refreshed and ready to go.
Wow, 3:16 am!

So if I was a gamblng man, I would play my son at 15 only and let him shine against kids his own age. The three Prep kids that didn't make it and put up the numbers played their cards wrong.

Like life, it's who you know and how much you can donate

☝🏻This. Only 4 of the selected played against men, the rest played against boys their own age. Mush easier to shine against 15/16yo than 18/19. Sad.

Anony

What about the Cushing Goalie? Didn't even get a sniff

I thought the Cushing goalie was outstanding, should have got an invite and been in serious discussion for the team. Like all positions, there are some other really good players from around the country that didn’t get invited, including an 04 goalie from Mahtomedi HS in Minnesota whose team won the A state championship and was excellent.

Funny! I do agree that I have too much time on my hands, am a little bored, miss all my buddies at the rink, and Siri is a quick way to crank out a post like that.

I don’t agree that the 3 prep players who didn’t make the team played their cards wrong. The players that were considered came from all sorts of different levels of play—15O, Toronto Minor Midget (15U), 16U, 18U, Minnesota HS, Prep, etc. Seems like one of the toughest things to do in selecting the team is comparing players playing at different competition levels. That competition level differential is primarily based on age. Would a dominant 15O player be nearly as impactful playing in Minnesota HS or prep? Would a player who looks strong playing at those higher levels absolutely tear it up at 15O?

It used to be that most of the selected players came from 16U, Minnesota HS and Prep because the best players were playing up. Now, with the emergence of 15O as a viable option and in fact required of 15 year olds in many places, there are more and more selections coming from 15O. With Michigan going 15O/16O and several other states following, it’s possible that USA Hockey may even require it. Even if it doesn’t, this is certainly the trend. Last year, there were only 9 15O players invited to the camp. This year, there were 21. Pretty much confirms the direction.

The 3 prep players were impact players at the prep level this season. That’s what got them invited to the evaluation camp. They were highly competitive with and against really strong players several years older, and many of those older players have DI commits. The 04 prep players are excellent in the toughest league in the area. What could be better for development and potential selection? I actually think they played their cards exactly right and put themselves in the best position, not just for this year but also long term development. I could make a strong argument that they should be on the team, but none of us get to make that decision.

The inverse is also true. There are 15O players who absolutely dominated, but did not make the team. Point production is only one selection factor among many others.

There were 10 invites from Minnesota HS/Prep, 5 made it, 15 invites from 16U, 9 made it, and 21 invites from 15O, with 9 making it. Although HS/Prep and 16U had fewer invite each than 15O, they both had a higher percentage of their invites selected for the team than 15O did. The only regions where playing HS/Prep are viable options are Minnesota and Mass/NE, the rest of the country is on a 15O/16U model. So, most of the best 15 year olds are not playing HS or prep. Although not the same as HS or prep which has 02, 01 and a few 00 players, I do believe there is a big difference between 16U and 15O. One year really can make a difference. Comes back to something long-debated here, play against older, bigger, stronger, faster, etc., or be a more featured player on a younger team.

15O can be a great option, but so can prep at the same age if the player is ready for it. As always, just depends on the player.

Hey Siri, why were the other goaltenders left off?
Some very very good goalies left off.

Hey Siri, that was a good one. Tell me another.

Who knows the real reason why any forward, defender or goalie was left off. Lots of really good players who didn’t get invited, and who didn’t make the team. 04 very deep year.

The Mahtomedi HS goalie is 5’6”, so I suspect that was a factor.

It seemed like the NTDP had a core of players in mind for the team. 14/17 of the players who played in the Youth Olympics made the team. I believe that is more than in the past.

Beyond that group, I think the NTDP could have gone a lot of different directions at any of the positions. Based on the defenders selected, NTDP was looking for some size, physicality, and more defensive defenders. Already had lots of smaller, high skill guys in mind that can really carry the puck.

Goalie seemed like the most challenging selection. So hard to predict who will do well even for scouts and people who get paid to make those decisions.

At forward, seems like NTDP primarily went for playmakers who can skate and add some scoring punch. They did pick up the really good power forward from NJ Avs, but I bet he would have been selected for Youth Olympics if he wasn’t injured.

Is this where I am supposed to do the required: well there are only X goalie positions and 4X D & 6X forwards?