Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: USHL camp

Teams now have their returning players, usually around 12-15. They have their 19 man protected list and all of their phase 2 draft picks so that's around 50 players. These camps will have around 200 total players so basically 150 "free agents". After the camp they need a 30 man roster so do the math on your chances of making the 30 man roster let alone the 23 man roster in September.

If you have the money, don't care about spending it and want to see what it's like then go but that's the only reason to go.

anon
Teams now have their returning players, usually around 12-15. They have their 19 man protected list and all of their phase 2 draft picks so that\'s around 50 players. These camps will have around 200 total players so basically 150 \"free agents\". After the camp they need a 30 man roster so do the math on your chances of making the 30 man roster let alone the 23 man roster in September.

If you have the money, don\'t care about spending it and want to see what it\'s like then go but that\'s the only reason to go.
Ok I did the math. So basically, they only need 15-18 players to make the 30 man team. If you take those only from their 35 man protected/draft list that equates to 43%-51% meaning that almost half the kids they "wanted" don't make it. If all things were equal, taking 15-18 players from the 185 that show up gives you a 8%-10% chance of making the team. Thank you for giving us the numbers so we can all understand the reality.

Anon
anon
Teams now have their returning players, usually around 12-15. They have their 19 man protected list and all of their phase 2 draft picks so that\\\'s around 50 players. These camps will have around 200 total players so basically 150 \\\"free agents\\\". After the camp they need a 30 man roster so do the math on your chances of making the 30 man roster let alone the 23 man roster in September.

If you have the money, don\\\'t care about spending it and want to see what it\\\'s like then go but that\\\'s the only reason to go.
Ok I did the math. So basically, they only need 15-18 players to make the 30 man team. If you take those only from their 35 man protected/draft list that equates to 43%-51% meaning that almost half the kids they "wanted" don't make it. If all things were equal, taking 15-18 players from the 185 that show up gives you a 8%-10% chance of making the team. Thank you for giving us the numbers so we can all understand the reality.
Your reality is inflated. It's nowhere near 10%.

As I said before, the "main camp" isn't the only tryout. Those 15 - 18 don't necessarily come from the 200.

I would say the more accurate odds would be 2 - 3 "free agents" go to Training Camp. So, call it 1%.

And, that's just Training Camp. Not everyone makes the team.

And, making the team is no guarantee of playing time, or of being rostered for the year. The Chicago Steel dressed 32 players last year. Te Des Moines Buccaneers dressed 41.

Anyone thinking junior is fun and games is crazy. Wait till your kid gets there. Doesn't matter, Tier I / II / III. It's a zoo.

Anon
anon
Teams now have their returning players, usually around 12-15. They have their 19 man protected list and all of their phase 2 draft picks so that\\\'s around 50 players. These camps will have around 200 total players so basically 150 \\\"free agents\\\". After the camp they need a 30 man roster so do the math on your chances of making the 30 man roster let alone the 23 man roster in September.

If you have the money, don\\\'t care about spending it and want to see what it\\\'s like then go but that\\\'s the only reason to go.
Your math skills are lacking. Most of the players making the 30 man cut come from drafted pool. Also making the 30 man cut is not making the team. The final roster is 23. The 7 cut need to find another place to play.

Also when you look at teams rosters on the USHL web site, yes the number of kids dressing ends up being much more than the 23 final roster. That's due to affiliates playing in games during holiday weeks, trades, injuries etc. So there are transactions that happen during the year that increase the posted roster but so what. That doesn't impact your kids chance of making a USHL final 23 man roster as a walk on.

Guys, the BCHL is a much better option. Kid just goes and plays, its that simple. No trades to worry about, just development.

Anon
Guys, the BCHL is a much better option. Kid just goes and plays, its that simple. No trades to worry about, just development.
Wait, what?

Coquitlam Express dressed 46 players last season and the entire coaching staff walked in April after finishing in 1st place. Head coach went to the NAHL.

If the BCHL were on a par with the USHL, wouldn't that have been a natural landing spot?

And you'd better have a good Canadian agent or your card will be assigned to SJHL for $8,000.

BCHL is below the USHL. Not as good at getting guys ready for NCAA. Good for padding stats, though.

Anon
Anon
Wait, what?

Coquitlam Express dressed 46 players last season and the entire coaching staff walked in April after finishing in 1st place. Head coach went to the NAHL.

If the BCHL were on a par with the USHL, wouldn't that have been a natural landing spot?

And you'd better have a good Canadian agent or your card will be assigned to SJHL for $8,000.

BCHL is below the USHL. Not as good at getting guys ready for NCAA. Good for padding stats, though.
Ok, don't go to Coquitlam Express..better than getting traded and ALL the other fears people have about the USHL. By the way, the player obviously has to be good.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Wait, what?

If the BCHL were on a par with the USHL, wouldn\'t that have been a natural landing spot?

And you\'d better have a good Canadian agent or your card will be assigned to SJHL for $8,000.

Ok, don't go to Coquitlam Express..better than getting traded and ALL the other fears people have about the USHL. By the way, the player obviously has to be good.
I picked Coquitlam based on knowing the coach. Pick another team, tell me how many players dressed.

I don't get why you think CJHL players don't get traded. If anything USA Hockey gives players greater control, not less.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Wait, what?

If the BCHL were on a par with the USHL, wouldn\\\'t that have been a natural landing spot?

And you\\\'d better have a good Canadian agent or your card will be assigned to SJHL for $8,000.

Ok, don\'t go to Coquitlam Express..better than getting traded and ALL the other fears people have about the USHL. By the way, the player obviously has to be good.
I picked Coquitlam based on knowing the coach. Pick another team, tell me how many players dressed.

I don't get why you think CJHL players don't get traded. If anything USA Hockey gives players greater control, not less.
Why did they leave tho

Anon
Yeah it's that simple. Dope.