Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prep School for Hockey

There are something like 60+ boarding schools in the NE area. All will tout the kids they produced. Cushing, Avon Old Farms, Salisbury, KUA those ones definitely "produce" a lot of great players. What you are missing is that their rosters are loaded with PG players. The players were dropping in for a year to tune up before moving on.

If I had a kid that was 6'2 and a superstar at 15 then ya, I would be looking at those schools. If I had a good player who was average size and I wanted to see him be developed over a longer term. Berkshire, Kent, and St. Marks would be ones to consider looking at. Good coaches with less focus on right now.

Lots of great schools and in the end you should go look at them and go by feel and comfort with the community. You will see quickly hockey is only one small part of their year. You want full time hockey, hockey, hockey then ya Mount Saint Charles, South Kent Selects, Gilmour Academy and Shattuck St. Mary's as they all offer full season teams as well as prep.

To me the value in prep is very high if you can make the $$ work. If your kids needs x amount of games a year, they are not that good simple.

Anon
There are something like 60+ boarding schools in the NE area. All will tout the kids they produced. Cushing, Avon Old Farms, Salisbury, KUA those ones definitely \"produce\" a lot of great players. What you are missing is that their rosters are loaded with PG players. The players were dropping in for a year to tune up before moving on.

If I had a kid that was 6\'2 and a superstar at 15 then ya, I would be looking at those schools. If I had a good player who was average size and I wanted to see him be developed over a longer term. Berkshire, Kent, and St. Marks would be ones to consider looking at. Good coaches with less focus on right now.

Lots of great schools and in the end you should go look at them and go by feel and comfort with the community. You will see quickly hockey is only one small part of their year. You want full time hockey, hockey, hockey then ya Mount Saint Charles, South Kent Selects, Gilmour Academy and Shattuck St. Mary\'s as they all offer full season teams as well as prep.

To me the value in prep is very high if you can make the $$ work. If your kids needs x amount of games a year, they are not that good simple.
What does PG players mean?

anon
Anon
There are something like 60+ boarding schools in the NE area. All will tout the kids they produced. Cushing, Avon Old Farms, Salisbury, KUA those ones definitely \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"produce\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" a lot of great players. What you are missing is that their rosters are loaded with PG players. The players were dropping in for a year to tune up before moving on.

If I had a kid that was 6\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'2 and a superstar at 15 then ya, I would be looking at those schools. If I had a good player who was average size and I wanted to see him be developed over a longer term. Berkshire, Kent, and St. Marks would be ones to consider looking at. Good coaches with less focus on right now.

Lots of great schools and in the end you should go look at them and go by feel and comfort with the community. You will see quickly hockey is only one small part of their year. You want full time hockey, hockey, hockey then ya Mount Saint Charles, South Kent Selects, Gilmour Academy and Shattuck St. Mary\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s as they all offer full season teams as well as prep.

To me the value in prep is very high if you can make the \\\\\$\\\\\$ work. If your kids needs x amount of games a year, they are not that good simple.
What does PG players mean?
PG players are post grads, meaning they graduated from high school someplace else and they are doing an additional year of Schooling to possibly better their grades, gain a little more maturity and get one more year of hockey playing time. What the person who is answering you doesn’t realize is that Cushing, Salisbury and KUA were not loaded with PG kids. While they definitely had 19-year-olds playing for them those kids were not one year PG kids. Instead they were kids who had previously transferred from a high school and reclassed/repeated a year. That’s why they were older.

Anon
Anon
Anon
How did Dexter make that list? They don\\\'t even develop STUDENTS for college very well.

Anyway, here\\\'s your answer. It doesn\\\'t matter. Your progeny isn\\\'t going straight from Prep School to NCAA. That ship has sailed. Even the best of the best play junior for 2 - 3 years.

Why? Because the NCAA coaches want it. They have come to realize, 18 year olds coming straight out of a Prep program aren\\\'t ready to play NCAA hockey. Even the last bastions have broken down. BC and BU have realized they can\\\'t compete with UM-D or Minnesota State with rosters of 18 - 19 year olds, no matter how good they are. NESCAC schools, who traditionally were OK with one year being deferred, are now allowing kids to defer twice like other schools.

You should focus on schools that have histories of sending kids to the USHL or BCHL, if he\\\'s that good that you think he can make the jump from Prep to NCAA.

Which, he isn\\\'t.
You didn\'t come close to answering my question
Yes, I did. You just don't want to hear it. Because YOUR kid is special.

Prep schools don't prepare kids for NCAA hockey. Any of them. It's not their jobs. Their job is to win hockey games to keep alumni happy.
In that case, all the better hockey players should go Prep