email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: PLPG

Not sure why people knock NZ and NEHJ.

I take great solace in seeing the kids named week after week and post after post that my kid plays alongside.

I mean if kids that are getting write ups and posts extolling their talents are no better than my kid...then doesn't that mean that my kid is just as admired ?

I think the issue it’s the same kids over and over. For example look at the most recent top uncommitted 04’s, same kids and many of the reviews include a sentence or two about daddy playing or coaching in hockey.

It’s good to have them out there reviewing the players but go beyond the usuals.

Anon
I think the issue it’s the same kids over and over. For example look at the most recent top uncommitted 04’s, same kids and many of the reviews include a sentence or two about daddy playing or coaching in hockey.

It’s good to have them out there reviewing the players but go beyond the usuals.
Say what you want about the write ups, but the inclusion of immediate family playing or coaching in hockey is huge. Colleges and teams are investing in kids futures and there is something to be said about lineage.

I understand that people complain that the lineage kids get the nod, but reality is. The kids that can play usually have some lineage, It is a result of good genetics, not good contacts.

ANon
Anon

Say what you want about the write ups, but the inclusion of immediate family playing or coaching in hockey is huge. Colleges and teams are investing in kids futures and there is something to be said about lineage.

I understand that people complain that the lineage kids get the nod, but reality is. The kids that can play usually have some lineage, It is a result of good genetics, not good contacts.

I agree with this guy. Genetics plays a large roll in a player development.

anon
ANon
Anon

I agree with this guy. Genetics plays a large roll in a player development.
I can't stand this attitude in hockey. It's ludicrous and just a reason to keep hockey a closed group. As long as talk about "lineage" is acceptable the people making decisions have an excuse to promote their friends' kids. It's amazing that anyone is OK with that.

ANon
Anon

IM of NZ is has been teaching kids for a long time now. You go to the rinks and see him in the corner with college coaches, NHL scouts etc...you tell me that they don't listen to him? He see's these kids every week.

JC has no idea what he's doing

anon
ANon
Anon

IM of NZ is has been teaching kids for a long time now. You go to the rinks and see him in the corner with college coaches, NHL scouts etc...you tell me that they don't listen to him? He see's these kids every week.

JC has no idea what he's doing
Can you get me an autograph?

Maybe the same kids are the best over and over?

Lineage does not necessarily correlate to their children or family members to being better athletes .
This would apply to anything including hockey. What is important is contacts which helps open doors that many others cannot. This is also true later in life when seeking employment. The college you go to is important for that first job and building your network helps open doors to new jobs. So yes maybe they have some genetics but let’s be logical the contacts are just as important if not more.
Btw those contacts lead to more write ups.

Anon
Lineage does not necessarily correlate to their children or family members to being better athletes .
This would apply to anything including hockey. What is important is contacts which helps open doors that many others cannot. This is also true later in life when seeking employment. The college you go to is important for that first job and building your network helps open doors to new jobs. So yes maybe they have some genetics but let’s be logical the contacts are just as important if not more.
100% correct.

Example - player A and player B are exactly the same player.

Player A is the son of former BC star who played pro hockey for 4 years. Good career.

Player B is the son of an accountant that never played hockey but was a good athlete.

Who is more likely to succeed?

Just like if it were reversed, who is likely to get a better job as an accountant?

anon
Anon
100% correct.

Example - player A and player B are exactly the same player.

Player A is the son of former BC star who played pro hockey for 4 years. Good career.

Player B is the son of an accountant that never played hockey but was a good athlete.

Who is more likely to succeed?

Just like if it were reversed, who is likely to get a better job as an accountant?

They would still choose the BC hockey player as the accountant so he can play for the companies' men's league team.

Here is a little reality check for everyone. Everyone who has ever stepped into a rink will be able to tell the kid that will play D1 or go pro. Its not rocket science. They are always the better players and have been since they were probably squirts. Sure you can toss in a few late bloomers but the best kids are still the best kids. Going to these events just line the pockets of whoever is running it. Its a cottage industry. One hand washes the other. Boston Advantage spends heavily in advertising for the NEHJ/Jeff Cox and that buys you coverage. Its how the world works.

It was the same as most prospects events, D-men overhandling and not moving puck, the usual forwards trying toedrag city and losing it. Refreshingly, I did see some players new to prep that I hadn't seen for a few years and they were very good, if not better than usual group, will be interesting to follow them over the next 12 months.

anon
It was the same as most prospects events, D-men overhandling and not moving puck, the usual forwards trying toedrag city and losing it. Refreshingly, I did see some players new to prep that I hadn't seen for a few years and they were very good, if not better than usual group, will be interesting to follow them over the next 12 months.
The games on hockeytv that I watched on the final day were 1 and 2 goal games. Last game was fantastic. Funny, I didn't see many of the above mentioned toe drags. Yes D men in those types of events do tend to do too much. The reason for this is they know many people are basing their reviews on the kids that score. Will be interesting to see how the MCDC team does against the preps they are scrimmaging over the next few weeks. Some very good players that will benefit from playing games. Good for that group for trying to get the kids some looks. More than many people are doing. This was our first time skating with them and to be honest, my kid said that it was one of the better events that he has attended in a long time. I had my reservations because how inexpensive it was. They could have charged 3 x that and sold out.
Great move with Cunniff running practices for this team and coaching the team in games.

According to NEHJ there was some good DIII talent there. Cool that he can watch kids play 2 games and know they have no shot at D1. He’s great

Anon
According to NEHJ there was some good DIII talent there. Cool that he can watch kids play 2 games and know they have no shot at D1. He’s great
2 years ago JC wrote that my son would be a good D3 penalty killer. He was close, but he is now playing Hockey East, second line and Power Play. That’s close though, right?
Can’t wait for what he has to say about our 04, he didn’t make the “best uncommitted”04 list so we are very nervous about his future.

Was there both days, watched all skates, practices and games. There is nothing wrong with playing 4 years of Div 3 hockey and that’s where most of the kids who attended this event should end up. There was 1 Div 1 recruit there and he didn’t exactly shine, fit right in with the rest, will be interesting what happens there.
There are only so many D1 spots available, you need to understand that D3 is still very competitive in the right league and a great accomplishment for any athlete.
Should have mentioned that 3 players mentioned in the article could also be D1 lacrosse or baseball commits this year.

Enjoy Christmas, plan a peaceful New Years. None of this matters.

It was a good event for the kids, could have done without the write ups and JC writing that none of these kids will get D1 looks. He's a moron with a pencil and a paying audience. Neutral Zone was there also, not sure if they did the same type of write ups?

Anon
It was a good event for the kids, could have done without the write ups and JC writing that none of these kids will get D1 looks. He's a moron with a pencil and a paying audience. Neutral Zone was there also, not sure if they did the same type of write ups?
Can someone copy and post the NEHJ and NZ articles? My kid was there but not very good. Would love to see their takes on the 2 days.

A few years, j c said my kid was a Nescac player , he was right. He just graduated, played meaningful minutes for 4 years in nescac. Loved every minute of it. Graduated in May with a job making $120k . I’d say it worked out for him ‘ us.

Anon
A few years, j c said my kid was a Nescac player , he was right. He just graduated, played meaningful minutes for 4 years in nescac. Loved every minute of it. Graduated in May with a job making $120k . I’d say it worked out for him ‘ us.
Right, Id be very happy for my son if he played 1 year of Jr, 4 Years of Nescac while getting a great education and preparing for life without the D1 level of commitment needed. They own your a s s at the D1 level.

Anon
I can watch a kid do 15 minutes of skills and tell you they have no chance at D1.

Anon
Anon
I can watch a kid do 15 minutes of skills and tell you they have no chance at D1.
Well your an idiot

Anon
Anon
Anon
Well your an idiot
NZ and IM commented on every kid at the MCDC. My impression of his article is that he sees opportunity and potential in every kid! We're talking about 05s to 02s not 99s.
Yes everyone there could possibly play D1.

My kid went and said it was a great chance for him to skate with some strong players. I thought it was short money to be on the ice with quality kids and terrific coaches.

I'll let you know how he does, 4 years from now!

Anonymous.
Anon
Anon
Anon
Well your an idiot
NZ and IM commented on every kid at the MCDC. My impression of his article is that he sees opportunity and potential in every kid! We're talking about 05s to 02s not 99s.

My kid went and said it was a great chance for him to skate with some strong players. I thought it was short money to be on the ice with quality kids and terrific coaches.

Did the coaches actually coach? If they did then its worth it, from what I understand they just refed some scrimmages.

Maybe we are just getting old but we disagree with about 3/4 of the "scouting reports" from this event. The D man getting all the attention was not very good at his position. If you reverse with your D partner over and over again then lose the puck or decide to blow by your forwards instead of moving the puck and consistently missing the net does that deserve praise? It was hard to really scout the forwards unless we are talking below the dots, below the dots there were 6-7 kids that worked their butts off and consistently caused turnovers, cycles and shots.

I love what they tried to do here, there should be more of it, but there is nothing wrong with being honest in your write ups or simply dont include those players in your write ups. For those that where there: Best Players
Black: 6, 77, 2, 54, 51
Red: 57, 58, 11, 15, 28
Blue: 81, 62, 61, 60, 65
White: 42, 73, 17, 76, 74

Anon
Maybe we are just getting old but we disagree with about 3/4 of the "scouting reports" from this event. The D man getting all the attention was not very good at his position. If you reverse with your D partner over and over again then lose the puck or decide to blow by your forwards instead of moving the puck and consistently missing the net does that deserve praise? It was hard to really scout the forwards unless we are talking below the dots, below the dots there were 6-7 kids that worked their butts off and consistently caused turnovers, cycles and shots.

I love what they tried to do here, there should be more of it, but there is nothing wrong with being honest in your write ups or simply dont include those players in your write ups. For those that where there: Best Players
Black: 6, 77, 2, 54, 51
Red: 57, 58, 11, 15, 28
Blue: 81, 62, 61, 60, 65
White: 42, 73, 17, 76, 74
Actually a pretty good assesment. As I tell my sons all the time, you never know what each guy / team is looking for.

JC and IM, any chance these kids play USHL next year?

Anon
JC and IM, any chance these kids play USHL next year?
Unfortunately no. None of the players there were drafted nor will be. If any of them were notably good they would have been scooped up by an NCDC team when prep cancelled. If those teams aren’t calling then USHL teams most certainly are not calling. Again, it was a good D3 quality skate.

Keep telling yourself that.

Anon
Keep telling yourself that.
I hope we are wrong but if you were there then who do you think showed USHL potential? Honestly, there were some good players but USHL is the best of the best from across North America, this event had 60 kids from MA.

A few things on this thread I find funny. 1. the statement that the same players that were good long ago are still the ones good now? LOL! ok buddy. The roster of my son's AAA team at 9 was almost completely different at 15. The "superstar" at 9 on the roster is now out of hockey altogether. I hear that statement a lot these days and its typically said, not by the superstar parents, but the hangers-on, buddies and pay for pub websites. The reason NZ and NEHJ use the kids names is laziness and the appearance of credibility (if they talk about the kid that everyone else is talking about, they must know their stuff). The problem is that hockey parents dont know what they are looking at. They see hits and goals, rarely notice skating, edges, vision, playmaking, or what players do when they dont have the puck. I have seen lots of guys score tons of goals hanging out at the blue line waiting on a pass or skating through weak competition and scoring a goal. Looks amazing but strangely enough, they never scored during games against strong competition. The people that matter dont care if your kid scores a goal which is why there are so many angry parents after a team is picked saying, "he scores the only goal and the cut him????" NZ and NEHJ will tell most what they want to hear, and if they dont, you will share my opinion of them until they mention your kid LOL, then they must know something right?
2. COVID dudes, COVID. None of what is going on right now matters at all. Its a lot of desperate parents, risking their families health convinced their kid NEEDS more hockey games as they are so close to someone finally noticing them. There is a reason for all these leagues, tournaments, showcases etc. $$$$$ they all recognize that there is money to be made off parents that cant accept the dream is over. Where we are from there are 6 Junior hockey leagues operating. 6!
Save your money, stay healthy and be patient. If your kid is only motivated when they can play the game, they are already telling you what you need to know. If they hit the gym and do what they can there is still hope. Talk with Mr. St.Louis about his path to the NHL, not exactly the guy NZ or NEHJ would have been touting.

Anon
A few things on this thread I find funny. 1. the statement that the same players that were good long ago are still the ones good now? LOL! ok buddy. The roster of my son's AAA team at 9 was almost completely different at 15. The "superstar" at 9 on the roster is now out of hockey altogether. I hear that statement a lot these days and its typically said, not by the superstar parents, but the hangers-on, buddies and pay for pub websites. The reason NZ and NEHJ use the kids names is laziness and the appearance of credibility (if they talk about the kid that everyone else is talking about, they must know their stuff). The problem is that hockey parents dont know what they are looking at. They see hits and goals, rarely notice skating, edges, vision, playmaking, or what players do when they dont have the puck. I have seen lots of guys score tons of goals hanging out at the blue line waiting on a pass or skating through weak competition and scoring a goal. Looks amazing but strangely enough, they never scored during games against strong competition. The people that matter dont care if your kid scores a goal which is why there are so many angry parents after a team is picked saying, "he scores the only goal and the cut him????" NZ and NEHJ will tell most what they want to hear, and if they dont, you will share my opinion of them until they mention your kid LOL, then they must know something right?
2. COVID dudes, COVID. None of what is going on right now matters at all. Its a lot of desperate parents, risking their families health convinced their kid NEEDS more hockey games as they are so close to someone finally noticing them. There is a reason for all these leagues, tournaments, showcases etc. $$$$$ they all recognize that there is money to be made off parents that cant accept the dream is over. Where we are from there are 6 Junior hockey leagues operating. 6!
Save your money, stay healthy and be patient. If your kid is only motivated when they can play the game, they are already telling you what you need to know. If they hit the gym and do what they can there is still hope. Talk with Mr. St.Louis about his path to the NHL, not exactly the guy NZ or NEHJ would have been touting.
What are we doing here?

Anon
THE GUY IS KINDA RIGHT

ANON
Anon
THE GUY IS KINDA RIGHT
Look at this past years USHL Phase 1 results

2 kids from Mass. were drafted 4th Overall (Penn ST.) and 6th (Harvard)

2 Kids from Mass. were drafted in the 2nd round (both to Northeastern)

Year before no kids were drafted in the first two rounds.

I would assume they are locks for next year USHL but there will be 10 more or so getting serious offers to go

really, I mean go back to work

This was a decent thread, finally got our hands on the rosters and the guy who named off the top 5 of each team is right on. I like some of the newer 02/03 kids mentioned, I hope to see them some prep hockey soon.

Where can you go and see the rosters?

Or is this a special secret place that only the people that know how to get there can see?

This camp was 2+ weeks ago...

I am sure you could email the guy that ran it, if you really need it.

Back to work guys. Stay off the phone, D1 schools might be calling for your boy. Apparently they got lots of busy signals on 1/1/2021 so there is hope.

^^Mostly 03 players who will not even play in college

Anon
Says the NHL scout

Anon
Anon
Says the NHL scout
Close..Bottom line is that the kids there are unknown, no PR machine getting there names out. There are good kids everywhere but the ones that make it start the PR rolling at 12 or younger. Watched a kid that I haven't seen in years just as good if not better than most of the kids there and hes never going to get a look, you know why? No PR for the kid. Yes he is at prep now and will put up good numbers but its to late, nobody knows who he is. There was 1 D1 commit there, nice kid, good family, wasn't even the best player on his team never mind the other 3 teams but got the PR machine rolling at 12, got in touch with the right people and look where he is now. Very sad, but very true in todays game!! Now, with schools offering an additional year to seniors, the kids at this event would need to wait until they are 22 to have a shot and that is very unlikely.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Says the NHL scout
Close..Bottom line is that the kids there are unknown, no PR machine getting there names out. There are good kids everywhere but the ones that make it start the PR rolling at 12 or younger. Watched a kid that I haven't seen in years just as good if not better than most of the kids there and hes never going to get a look, you know why? No PR for the kid. Yes he is at prep now and will put up good numbers but its to late, nobody knows who he is. There was 1 D1 commit there, nice kid, good family, wasn't even the best player on his team never mind the other 3 teams but got the PR machine rolling at 12, got in touch with the right people and look where he is now. Very sad, but very true in todays game!! Now, with schools offering an additional year to seniors, the kids at this event would need to wait until they are 22 to have a shot and that is very unlikely.
This post is accurate to some extent. Agree on the PR machine and how much promotion goes into these kids. Don't necessarily agree that these kids will not get college looks. Yes, there was a D1 commit there, blended in like most of the 03 D1 commits from what I could tell watching on the computer. Very few,especially at the 03 level would have jumped out if they were thrown in on one of these 4 teams. At this point, you have to hope that your 02,03 is a late bloomer and is on the way up and not staying flat or even worse, going the wrong way. These are the kids that coaches will want to watch and project out their potential. Lots of the early puberty kids became household names in the rinks and some people bought into how good they were from the PR machine. My money is on a kid that continues to improve and is determined to reach his goals and busts his butt to reach whatever the goal is, even if it is at 22.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Says the NHL scout
This post is accurate to some extent. Agree on the PR machine and how much promotion goes into these kids. Don't necessarily agree that these kids will not get college looks. Yes, there was a D1 commit there, blended in like most of the 03 D1 commits from what I could tell watching on the computer. Very few,especially at the 03 level would have jumped out if they were thrown in on one of these 4 teams. At this point, you have to hope that your 02,03 is a late bloomer and is on the way up and not staying flat or even worse, going the wrong way. These are the kids that coaches will want to watch and project out their potential. Lots of the early puberty kids became household names in the rinks and some people bought into how good they were from the PR machine. My money is on a kid that continues to improve and is determined to reach his goals and busts his butt to reach whatever the goal is, even if it is at 22.
Pretty interesting post, could only find partial rosters, but regardless, I imagine the D1 commit dominated the play and didn't "fit in" as he is also on NHL Central Scouting list. Not USHL or NCAA, we are talking the National Hockey Leagues scouting list. If there were better kids there than I lose all respect for all of these "scouting" agencies and it is clear that the better PR will always pay off. Again, we are talking the NHL, the top league in the entire world.

Anon
Anonymous.
Anon
Anon
Anon
Well your an idiot

Did the coaches actually coach? If they did then its worth it, from what I understand they just refed some scrimmages.
My kid enjoyed it. Asked him about coaches and he told me there was a practice on Monday for 75 minutes with a NESCAC coach ( unmarked of course) and Cunniff ran the other group on the other sheet simultaneously. Short money for two good competitive days. Anxious to have him attend the next one

Anon
Anon
Anonymous.
Anon
Anon
Anon
Well your an idiot

My kid enjoyed it. Asked him about coaches and he told me there was a practice on Monday for 75 minutes with a NESCAC coach ( unmarked of course) and Cunniff ran the other group on the other sheet simultaneously. Short money for two good competitive days. Anxious to have him attend the next one
What does "unmarked of course" mean?

I find it amazing that people are still talking about a skate that took place 3 weeks ago.

Do you really dislike the guy that much that you can't let it go? What is left to discuss? The guy sucks, the coaches sucked, the kids sucked, the D1 commit sucked, the 03's sucked, the 04's sucked, the ice sucked, the Zamboni sucked, the PR sucked, the parking lot sucked...

Anon
I find it amazing that people are still talking about a skate that took place 3 weeks ago.

Do you really dislike the guy that much that you can't let it go? What is left to discuss? The guy sucks, the coaches sucked, the kids sucked, the D1 commit sucked, the 03's sucked, the 04's sucked, the ice sucked, the Zamboni sucked, the PR sucked, the parking lot sucked...
This post sucks