High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: U15 FS

Anon
Anon
Hi All, It is first time trying to help navigate this space with my son.

My son is currently an 8th grade, U14 Tier 1 player (USA definition, not Fed), 1st line forward, on a mid-level team.

His current club is half season only for U15, and he has concerns about the quality of the High School hockey he will get next year.

Are there competitive Full Season U15 teams, and if so, can anyone tell me how to identify them (I can only successfully google those teams in the USPHL such as the Islanders / Cyclones, which are far away from where we live in Norfolk county)?

If there are only U16 full season teams, other than those U15s mentioned above, do any have development teams where U15s are actively sought, our is it best just to try out for the U16 teams?

Thanks in advance
You know how they told you that u14 was kind of a mess, well, full season teams at 15 and 16 are a real toss up with U15 being a real mess.

t least by doing your asking and research now you will be better prepared,

Any good 15 will play U16 usually, due to the variables at the 15 level.

They are there for U16 too, but less so,

Understand that unless you get on a legit team, and be aware that there are lots of programs that do not operate at the youth level, that are now top spots and regarded programs, that there is lots of issues that you can stumble into if you do not look into things with full season clubs.

if you get into a lower level full season team you find there are two types of players. The players who think high school wont be very good hockey or competition and decide that full season will be better and then you have the rest of team, which is kids who cant make or wont start or dress at their high school team so they opt for full season to get games in.

This leaves you with some very good kids and some kids that were cut from low level D3 MIAA programs and lots of teams have this issue.

Keep doing your research, look at Beast League and other USPHL teams that may be closer like SSK or CC whalers. Its tough to find a good full season team and league without spending some time and effort if a coach of one of those established team isn't asking for him. And sometimes, the high school option may be better hockey than any 15 full season can provide, so it really starts where he would be playing high school hockey.
What if a coach is asking? How do you know when it isn’t just about money and filling a spot.

Sorting through
Anon
Anon

My son is currently an 8th grade, U14 Tier 1 player (USA definition, not Fed), 1st line forward, on a mid-level team.

His current club is half season only for U15, and he has concerns about the quality of the High School hockey he will get next year.

Are there competitive Full Season U15 teams, and if so, can anyone tell me how to identify them (I can only successfully google those teams in the USPHL such as the Islanders / Cyclones, which are far away from where we live in Norfolk county)?

If there are only U16 full season teams, other than those U15s mentioned above, do any have development teams where U15s are actively sought, our is it best just to try out for the U16 teams?

Thanks in advance
You know how they told you that u14 was kind of a mess, well, full season teams at 15 and 16 are a real toss up with U15 being a real mess.

Understand that unless you get on a legit team, and be aware that there are lots of programs that do not operate at the youth level, that are now top spots and regarded programs, that there is lots of issues that you can stumble into if you do not look into things with full season clubs.

if you get into a lower level full season team you find there are two types of players. The players who think high school wont be very good hockey or competition and decide that full season will be better and then you have the rest of team, which is kids who cant make or wont start or dress at their high school team so they opt for full season to get games in.

This leaves you with some very good kids and some kids that were cut from low level D3 MIAA programs and lots of teams have this issue.

Keep doing your research, look at Beast League and other USPHL teams that may be closer like SSK or CC whalers. Its tough to find a good full season team and league without spending some time and effort if a coach of one of those established team isn't asking for him. And sometimes, the high school option may be better hockey than any 15 full season can provide, so it really starts where he would be playing high school hockey.
What if a coach is asking? How do you know when it isn’t just about money and filling a spot.
You hire a good advisor. Coaches can't lie to them without repercussions. The good ones will steer kids away from the programs that lie to them. That gives them leverage you don't have.

Anon
Sorting through
Anon
Anon

Thanks in advance

You hire a good advisor. Coaches can't lie to them without repercussions. The good ones will steer kids away from the programs that lie to them. That gives them leverage you don't have.
The post said...

"a coach of one of those established team isn't asking for him."

if it is for one of those established teams, then it isn't about filling a spot.

Also, this guy wants to hire an advisor to get a kid on a U15 team, !!! I have heard it all now. Bwahahah

Anon
Anon
Sorting through
Anon
Anon

Thanks in advance

Keep doing your research, look at Beast League and other USPHL teams that may be closer like SSK or CC whalers. Its tough to find a good full season team and league without spending some time and effort if a coach of one of those established team isn\'t asking for him. And sometimes, the high school option may be better hockey than any 15 full season can provide, so it really starts where he would be playing high school hockey.
The post said...

"a coach of one of those established team isn't asking for him."

if it is for one of those established teams, then it isn't about filling a spot.

Also, this guy wants to hire an advisor to get a kid on a U15 team, !!! I have heard it all now. Bwahahah
Yup, because your network of coaches is every bit as good as a good advisor's.

Meaning, you can give your kid all the advice he needs to navigate the cesspool that is midget and junior hockey.

Wrong.

We worked with an NHLPA advisor from 14 through 17 and believe me, he opened doors. I assume if this guy's kid was that level a prospect, he would have been contacted by one by now.

When it became clear his path was D-III he turned us over to someone that could help us, since that wasn't his forte. Now THAT agent has been able to help.

It's a matter of understanding your personal limitations.

Anon

Thanks in advance
Look to an academy team - several to choose from that will provide quality skills and games at a third of the cost of prep

Anon
Anon

Thanks in advance
Look to an academy team - several to choose from that will provide quality skills and games at a third of the cost of prep
a third of prep cost.

a tenth of prep education.

Academy's are for kids that think they have a chance at hockey and have zero chance at anything else in life.

They hate school and parents think that being taught by their hockey coach upstairs from the ice service is sufficient.

Not saying it isn't an option for some kids, but if a kid can handle prep academically and athletic wise, then do that. Yea prep maybe 60. Money better spent than 20 to have the same guy teach him game systems, skills, English and poly sci.

What about matignon and Boston hockey academy. Tuition is bit more but half of prep, more hockey and better academics than most publics. Why do you need to go to prep to play high-end hockey. Could be a good model for the more focused hockey player who still wants to go to college if hockey doesn’t work out