Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Agent help

Anon
Anon
Anon
I need an agent with a history of moving kids to Hockey East. I just an opportunity to get in front of them.
Agents are a hot topic here. The dads of rainbow players know their kids don’t have any shot of moving on after HS, if they even play that long.

Then there are the dads that lack self-awareness and refuse to recognize their own limitations.

As has been said, the agents that routinely send kids to HE schools will contact you. It’s how it works.

If that hadn’t happened, forget college, what you really are looking for is an agent with good contacts in the USHL or NAHL. That’s his path to D-I. That’s everyone’s path to D-I, no matter what anyone says.

Odds are any of the 16 YOs getting commitments won’t see ice time at that school. And no one goes from HS/Midgets/Prep to NCAA. Not even the really elite players.
So do "the agents that routinely send kids to HE schools will contact you" charge for that?
No.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
I need an agent with a history of moving kids to Hockey East. I just an opportunity to get in front of them.
Agents are a hot topic here. The dads of rainbow players know their kids don’t have any shot of moving on after HS, if they even play that long.

Then there are the dads that lack self-awareness and refuse to recognize their own limitations.

As has been said, the agents that routinely send kids to HE schools will contact you. It’s how it works.

If that hadn’t happened, forget college, what you really are looking for is an agent with good contacts in the USHL or NAHL. That’s his path to D-I. That’s everyone’s path to D-I, no matter what anyone says.

Odds are any of the 16 YOs getting commitments won’t see ice time at that school. And no one goes from HS/Midgets/Prep to NCAA. Not even the really elite players.
So do "the agents that routinely send kids to HE schools will contact you" charge for that?
No.
So the guys wanting to charge probably cant get me into a college program, right?

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

So do \"the agents that routinely send kids to HE schools will contact you\" charge for that?
No.
So the guys wanting to charge probably cant get me into a college program, right?
Are you a player or a parent?

They definitely can’t get a parent into a college program.

USHL moves a lot of players to D-I. NAHL moves some. Players don’t need a certified NHLPA agent to get there. I would suggest their ability to get into those leagues is greatly enhanced by a good agent, though. Worth the $.

BCHL moves a lot of kids to D-I and D-III. Several other Junior A leagues do, too. Need someone north of the border looking out for you there. Teams love the US dollar but love Canadian players more.

NAHL NCDC EHL and USPHL move a ton of kids on to college, mostly D-III. If that’s beneath you then enjoy Senior Night, it’ll be your last game.

If you are going that route, a good agent is critical. It’s a cesspool. A good agent knows the good guys from the bad. Dad doesn’t. He may think he does. He doesn’t.

Anon
Anon

No one!
Not even the freshman from Gunnery at Merrimack
Not even the goalie from Hotchkiss at BC
Not even the big D at Quinnipiac from Salisbury
Not even GS the freshman at BC from Avon
Not even the St Sebs goalie at BU

No one, a.t least do your homework before you start talking out your A$$

No one

Just this week:
Son "Dad I have 5K views on Elite Prospects"
Dad "Has any team or school reached out to you"
Son "No"
Dad "So it dosen't matter at all, get your homework done"
Son "I should get and advisor"
Dad "No, you should do your homework and get a job"
Son "How are schools/coaches going to get to know me"
Dad "Call them, introduce yourself, and see what happens"

Is this wrong?

It's all P.R. baby! The old "if you're good, they will find you." is the oldest lie going in hockey circles. Maybe in 1972 but today it simply doesn't work that way.

Unless you are connected in the hockey world (former NHL'er, pro, D-I stand-out, college coach, NHL front office. . . ) your kid is in Tier II of hockey prospects. Tier I is reserved for those connected to the hockey world and a few defiant true 20% better than the next kid stand-outs.

You can draw upon your private program coaches to line you up with a few college connections but outside of that it's home-spun PR to get the kid in print / noticed or the dreaded family adviser. If your kid has played on the right teams (with those Tier I protégés) or you PR efforts are successful the advisers will contact you otherwise they might be able to help.

The craziest void in the local hockey advancement game is the school coaches. Expect (and get nothing) from them. Most, even the revered ones wouldn't know what a player with potential looks like even if it hit them between the eyes.

anon
It's all P.R. baby! The old "if you're good, they will find you." is the oldest lie going in hockey circles. Maybe in 1972 but today it simply doesn't work that way.

Unless you are connected in the hockey world (former NHL'er, pro, D-I stand-out, college coach, NHL front office. . . ) your kid is in Tier II of hockey prospects. Tier I is reserved for those connected to the hockey world and a few defiant true 20% better than the next kid stand-outs.

You can draw upon your private program coaches to line you up with a few college connections but outside of that it's home-spun PR to get the kid in print / noticed or the dreaded family adviser. If your kid has played on the right teams (with those Tier I protégés) or you PR efforts are successful the advisers will contact you otherwise they might be able to help.

The craziest void in the local hockey advancement game is the school coaches. Expect (and get nothing) from them. Most, even the revered ones wouldn't know what a player with potential looks like even if it hit them between the eyes.
IDK about that, local prep(Cushing, etc..), whalers, rats, wizards coaches seem to move kids in the right direction

I think he covered that -

"You can draw upon your private program coaches to line you up with a few college connections..."

anon

Sorry, you can't be more wrong. They found my kid, we weren't looking, didn't know how to look, and no one on either side of our family had anything to do with hockey. Sorry your kid is just like you, average!

Anon
anon

Sorry, you can't be more wrong. They found my kid, we weren't looking, didn't know how to look, and no one on either side of our family had anything to do with hockey. Sorry your kid is just like you, average!
You call it average, I call it consistent

great that they found him, obviously outstanding hockey player. what was your path? town, HS etc or EHF/E9 prep, FS?

anon
great that they found him, obviously outstanding hockey player. what was your path? town, HS etc or EHF/E9 prep, FS?
Don't get hung up on the "path", especially at the Youth level, it doesn't matter where they play Youth, the College coach isn't going to ask or care . But if you have to know, it was a couple of years in the Fed, then the NEHL (E9), 1 year of Public HS, 2 years of Prep, then 2 years in the USHL. He "committed" in his 1st year of Prep, and stayed committed the whole time period. Just graduated last year from his Hockey East school, and unfortunately now his AHL team has suspended playing this season

Town
Town/e9
prep/beast/national dev camp/Ushl phase 1draft
Prep/ushl
Ushl
Hockey east

No agent just help from coaches at each level getting to the next level. Conversations with ecac/ivy and HE schools. But everyone is different.

Anon

Town
Town/e9
prep/beast/national dev camp/Ushl phase 1draft
Prep/ushl
Ushl
Hockey east

No agent just help from coaches at each level getting to the next level. Conversations with ecac/ivy and HE schools. But everyone is different.
Yo my coaches suck then, they just keep saying my time will come but I’m gonna be 18 in a few months isn’t now my time?

Anon
anon

Got it, despite genetics it appears your kid is " a few defiant true 20% better than the next kid stand-outs." My kid, no problem. Went straight from H.S. to the USHL...but thanks.

OP here, so I have been contacted by advisors like Paragon, Nexlevel, HC, Stretchpass, Tophockeyprospect, anyone know if these are good contacts?

If they are going to "charge you" for their service, then you aren't interested.

Anon
If they are going to "charge you" for their service, then you aren't interested.
Ok thanks

I'd like one final truthful answer about advisors because I've heard it all in this place. I keep hearing that if you are good enough they won't charge you. I've also heard, and this is from USHL and NAHL sources, that advisors are supposed to be paid and that not paying for services is an impermissible benefit in the eyes of the NCAA. Also, most players at the USHL, NAHL, and Canadian Jr A (think BCHL) levels have advisors they work with.

True or false?

Thanks for the replies.

Anon
If they don't charge you then they are actually putting your kid at risk of losing eligibility...

https://thejuniorhockeynews.com/rules-for-hiring-an-adviser-the-difference-between-agent-and-adviser/

Anon
Anon
If they don't charge you then they are actually putting your kid at risk of losing eligibility...

https://thejuniorhockeynews.com/rules-for-hiring-an-adviser-the-difference-between-agent-and-adviser/
Six years ago. Ancient history. NCAA has updated their rules.

If you are using an NHLPA certified agent you won’t be charged. Trust me, he wants your kid to play NCAA hockey.

If your kid isn’t at that level, get your kid a paid advisor with good referrals. They’re out there. And they’re worth it.

Anon
Anon
Anon
If they are going to \"charge you\" for their service, then you aren\'t interested.
If they don\'t charge you then they are actually putting your kid at risk of losing eligibility...

Six years ago. Ancient history. NCAA has updated their rules.

If you are using an NHLPA certified agent you won’t be charged. Trust me, he wants your kid to play NCAA hockey.

If your kid isn’t at that level, get your kid a paid advisor with good referrals. They’re out there. And they’re worth it.
Correct

Local ones

Win Hockey Agency
Orr Group
Quartexx

You see them around the rinks talking to the Elite kids. They do not charge but guide the family into Prep/USHl/NCAA with the hope that someday the kid gets a pro contract.

They have many contacts and used them to the family's advantage