The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NAHL Prospects Combine

Does anyone know anything about this combine? Good/Bad? Worth the money or just another grab?

Re: NAHL Prospects Combine

It's fine. NAHL assistant coaches are on the bench. It's not getting your kid drafted in the NAHL but it was a good experience for what it is. I wouldn't go out of my way to do it but it worked at the times we did. Last year in particular, it happened when nothing else was so it was his first opportunity to play games in 4 months.

It is what it is, sure go ahead, but with eyes open.
NAHL teams are free to play, except for billet fees. Along with ticket sales these fee based combines are just another way they pay their bills. 99% of the NAHL teams already have their draft picks and tenders allocated, so this is mostly for Na3HL teams to grab some young hopefuls, or NAHL teams to find someone who stood out and offer them a main camp tryout (again, for a fee) to compete for a depth spot on their 25 man roster.

That is all true in the past. This year might be a little different. Covid has messed up hockey really bad with leagues and teams shutting down, games getting moved around, players being pushed down in levels, Midget hockey not even being allowed in some states. It's been a messy year. Scouting has been pretty difficult too. Tryout camps will take on greater importance this season for teams to identify players.

You can expect the NAHL to go partial pay-to-play next season like some of the Canadian Jr A leagues are already. A couple thousand to play would be my guess. Covid has hit these teams hard financially.