Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: PG year

Save the money and just go the Juniors route. Key would be to land on one of the top few Jr. teams that advance players. With top academics you would be surprised at schools that will be open to the kid (Ivy / NESCAC) as many need to improve the average of the team so for every good student they can take a Canadian farm-boy who has a hard time stringing three words together but can be a point a game player.

Unless you want a PG year that didn't go as planned, I'd stay away from prep simply because of the pandemic. There is no guarantee that next year at this time you won't be receiving the same "out of an abundance of caution...." email notifications that have been going around this year. Vaccine is not approved for children under 18 and the studies have only just begun with minimal volunteers, it's looking like late 2022 for FDA approval which means the majority of the policies these schools currently have in place will remain. Sounds crazy right? Everyone should be well aware by now the power the parent boards/administration wield when it's a matter of public health. I'd also be looking at junior programs in areas of the country where games have been able to be played uninhibited by mandates and lockdowns.

Anon
Senior year did not go as planned. Thinking of PG year or juniors. My son has great grades so I don’t see the need to have him PG at a school where he has to prove he can do the academic load. Looking for a school that he can PG at but not blemish his academics that he has achieved at his current school. He is graduating high up in his class at a very reputable school. He has pretty high hockey aspirations so in my opinion, this is a hockey move as opposed to an academic move. Thoughts on schools? Is junior hockey a safer bet?
"Juniors" is a little broad. You have to be looking at NAHL or USHL.

NCDC tells 40 kids they will be Top 6 / Top 4, then you get to training camp, and half of those get cut before Dec 1. Good teams in Tier III juniors roster 30 kids, bad teams lie. And everyone brings in new players, all year long.

Canada is out for at least another year.

Be careful about who you trust.

go juniors

if the grades are good, no reason to

you can always work on stardardized testing and improve that

you can take a class on line or at a CC

stay intellectually active

Anon
Anon
Senior year did not go as planned. Thinking of PG year or juniors. My son has great grades so I don’t see the need to have him PG at a school where he has to prove he can do the academic load. Looking for a school that he can PG at but not blemish his academics that he has achieved at his current school. He is graduating high up in his class at a very reputable school. He has pretty high hockey aspirations so in my opinion, this is a hockey move as opposed to an academic move. Thoughts on schools? Is junior hockey a safer bet?
"Juniors" is a little broad. You have to be looking at NAHL or USHL.

NCDC tells 40 kids they will be Top 6 / Top 4, then you get to training camp, and half of those get cut before Dec 1. Good teams in Tier III juniors roster 30 kids, bad teams lie. And everyone brings in new players, all year long.

Canada is out for at least another year.

Be careful about who you trust.
Your kid is a senior, so obviously hasn't been drafted or contacted by either USHL or NAHL, so your probably staring at Tier III Juniors (which includes the USPHL). If that is the case, your kid is looking at aging out of Juniors and becoming at 21-year old freshman at a D3 school. Do you really want to do that?

Some kids get looks their senior year. He is not totally wrong but the reality is your boy will likely be 21 yrs old as a freshman. Seriously though, what's the rush to go to college? The kid will likely work for 45 + years and will always look back wondering whether he was good enough at 21 to play college hockey. Go for it! PG year is a mistake given your situation.

Anon
Some kids get looks their senior year. He is not totally wrong but the reality is your boy will likely be 21 yrs old as a freshman. Seriously though, what's the rush to go to college? The kid will likely work for 45 + years and will always look back wondering whether he was good enough at 21 to play college hockey. Go for it! PG year is a mistake given your situation.
I agree but it really only takes one year of juniors for your kid to know if it's for him, if he likes the grind, and he'll know pretty quick if he's really a team contributor. So why not give it a shot? At worst after a year he goes to the college of his choice and plays club instead.

My son repeated, this is was a wash so we are considering reclassifying and graduating this year as a senior and playing Jr hockey next year. I don't see Prep rebounding for 2-3 years after this.

Tell him to retire. Be realistic about it. If you have to ask the dboard this question and aren't being "recruited" by junior teams or prep schools how far do you think he is going to go? Spend $20k on juniors for 2 years to play D3? Every kids career ends at some point maybe yours is now..

anon
Tell him to retire. Be realistic about it. If you have to ask the dboard this question and aren't being "recruited" by junior teams or prep schools how far do you think he is going to go? Spend $20k on juniors for 2 years to play D3? Every kids career ends at some point maybe yours is now..
Problem is, it isn't hard to get "recruited" by Tier 3 junior programs. Just send the coach an email.

anon
Yeah, would be awful to have to go to Colby or Babson and play the game you love at the intercollegiate level.