Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: PHL

Word has it a local journal and NZ competitor is starting a new league called the Daddy's PHL. Applications being accepted for children of former D1 and or professional hockey players only.

Draft delayed a week, they got “500” responses and just have not been happy with level of talent in those 500 so making calls this week to the kids they really want. Should have just been invite only if you can’t field 4 teams from 500 names. They think kids cant figure it out. What a Joke!

^^^ Fair point. 500 kids requesting to play and IM says we have to put it off as more kids are looking to get involved. This means the 500 kids originally asking to play do not meet his criteria, but, "its for the kids" hearing that a lot lately.

anon
^^^ Fair point. 500 kids requesting to play and IM says we have to put it off as more kids are looking to get involved. This means the 500 kids originally asking to play do not meet his criteria, but, "its for the kids" hearing that a lot lately.
Its about all the kids before it all becomes about the money. With 500 kids willing to pay $$ - just wait for the instead of 4 teams we will have 8. More money to be made.

These guys at NZ will do a good job with the PHL I am sure. The concern though that I have is that it will be the same names that we have heard promoted for the past 5 years. Saw this with my older children, many kids out there, 01,02,03 have passed these legends by and frankly are better players overall yet they still do not get the recognition. Watch a few local prep games with those anointed playing in, you will find yourself asking
" what # is so and so?". One would think if he is committed then he should stand out? Not usually the case I am finding.

Said yesterday its going to like getting into an "Ivy League School" very competitive to be considered. At this point it is turning into invite only.

I hope they can get it off the ground and hope the kids that do play get the exposure they need after the waste of time that was the winter season. I am sure there will be players that don't get included that are deserving or better than some that are there but no team/league/tournament is perfect.

Good Luck!

If they are inviting the known " NAMES" from all the top leagues, haven't these kids been getting exposure?

Focus should be on the kids that have not played at all, if it's about finding exposure for the kids.

Anon
If they are inviting the known " NAMES" from all the top leagues, haven't these kids been getting exposure?

Focus should be on the kids that have not played at all, if it's about finding exposure for the kids.
Should be, Yes! Will it be, N0! Now they pulled in all of these top league scouts, NHL scouts, they don't want to see a second line kid from prep, they want all first line, talked about kids. Rich get richer, but its for development and exposure.

With the Dead period being extended, is it worth having this league now or waiting until June? Allows kids to finish up school and scouts can actually come watch. Seems less appealing to do remote schooling to play in front of nobody- again.