The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Impact of Covid

What's the impact of Covid on Prep and Jr Hockey hockey next year. Do you think Prep players (04/05) will see how well younger kids did in Jrs and go that route instead of lockdown on campus. What about the older players (02/03) will they stay a prep and do a PG year or will those birth years move to Jr hockey in order to play more games? Will every league be saturated with talent because only a few willing to do what they have to in order for teams to play. We are going through all of this with our son and up in the air, does he go back to school, does he go out west, does he stay here and play Jrs, does he go play in Canada if allowed... whats your thoughts on the impact of Covid going forward.

Re: Impact of Covid

I would expect this fall to resemble what’s happening right now. Plan accordingly.

Here's my guess: It will be business as usual next year at prep. That said junior hockey will be a logjam for year or two because of the extra year of eligibility.

I consider myself a pretty smart guy and I dont have the first d a m n clue what to expect next year. Its scary!

If you look back at this past fall, covid numbers were not that bad and preps still locked kids on campus, no reason to believe anything will be different next fall, good numbers will still lead to lockdowns and no games for the kids. If your kid is currently on campus, let him finish the season, go to remote learning for the spring and hook up with a good spring team. Depending on age, this summer is going to be a good chance to get in front of teams/scouts at a few showcases. I would not send my kid back to prep school next year, it will be the same as this year.

I would expect that there will be far fewer spots out west for the younger prep players (04/05). Even some of the middle of the road 02/03's, will find themselves still in New England in the USPHL.

I think prep won't be what it once was (it was trending down any way) but hopefully more normal than this year. The academy model will likely take off.

The 02 & 03 group are screwed no matter where they go. This was a lost year even if they did play and it will be tough to recover.

Hockey is a giant funnel and that funnel is blocked. NCAA has awarded all college players an additional season of eligibility so seniors can theoretically return next year which then leaves no or very limited roster room for new class of freshman to come in. If you are an 02 or 03 looking to enter college then chances are there isn't going to be room on the roster for you.

`

Yes ncaa offered an extra year of eligibility, but how many seniors that attended school this year will spend tens of thousands of dollars on another year of tuition and fees they don't need to just to play another year? I guess a few will, but if hockey is not their future then I'm guessing most won't.

Re: `

I would assume 25 year old men would be ready to move on from College all together, school, hockey, all of it?