Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: tell me what prep school my son should attend

A few items I have learned and food for thought.

If you have money, some, but not all of these will not be an issue.

Should go to some events and see if any coach approaches him (its a sales business and their first job is to get applications so keep that in mind.)

ISL schools are tough because many have some pretty high academic standards but the constant refrain we heard on our tours was, you have to try pretty hard to fail here (regardless of the school). ISL would be good for younger players and smaller players as they don't have PG players, but again, balance that with the academic rigor. St. Marks to me if you want hockey, I like that coach, also Brooks is another one but I hear can be a bit strange with acceptances (not a school to play games with if you like it).

If you want to go big, that is a tougher question, many schools have their feeder programs and parent deals to make the teams fill up pretty quick. Hard to come in as an unknown so that is where getting out to some events might help. I stress the MIGHT because in the end, you are trading one league full of politics and bs for another. I have seen 15 year old's get picked over 18 year old's because of the program they came from, only to go right out and have their limbs broken. Cost a kid that could hang their spot to not even play.

Sorry that is my frustration coming through, overall bigger school I would consider a place like maybe hotchkiss or possibly Berkshire. You want it to be big enough to have 2 rinks, not be obsessed with winning over picking good kids and able to field a decent jv squad. Smaller schools just don't have the numbers and typically are pretty up front with the fact that JV are for kids who are trying hockey for the first time.

It is a very hard thing to navigate as an outsider. Lots of connections and affiliations that others could easily see that most would not and it can be very tough once you are there. Kid calling saying they are stuck on JV and coaches keep telling them BS etc.

Good advice. Thanks.

clueless
my son is in EHF elite team '07 mid range team - currently in 8th grade, but doing 9th grade at his current school. would repeat 9th a year from this fall at a prep/boarding school. He's academic (A student) but doesn't love academics. He wants co-ed. He would do boarding or day. We live in metrowest. he loves hockey. what schools should he look at? Dexter (not really boys because of Southfield), rivers, nobles, Milton, Thayer but what boarding schools?
If your kid isn't an absolute stud forward do not waste your time going to prep as a freshman. If he is a Dman, no way. Get on the best SS team your bender can play for and hope he gets noticed by a coach. You have time. You should be targeting moving to prep after his junior year as a repeat junior or go in as a senior with the intent to pg as well. Also if he can't be a contributor on his HS team as a freshman/sophomore, then you know he wouldn't get any ice at a prep anyway.

Contact the coaches at each of the schools and have a conversation. Each of the schools has a different culture so reach out to parents of current students to get their thoughts. Also, consider how he will get to/from school.

I l ow people despise Cox. But take a look at his recent article about prep schools and how to determine if it’s time to go.

Biggest take away that I have shared with several other parents already that have asked me about what preps we have looked at is.

If your kid is not a PPG player at a decent program then don’t even consider prep.

That alone narrows it down to the top two lines or top few kids at each program.

So. If your kid can be a PPG player as a freshman on a decent varsity team then start exploring.

My kid was and was still not good enough for lots of the schools.

Smart advice. Thanks

Clueless
Smart advice. Thanks
Couple other thoughts:
1). Talk to the coach. If they do not know who your son is, wait. If they do not show real interest and tell you he will play, wait.
2). Take a look at how the schools handled Covid. It says a lot about how they approach the education of your kid. Do you want a place that will teach your kid what to think or how to think?

Have Jr play full season u16 until this covid and blm nonsense calms down. If you’re a liberal prep is for you. If not, your kid will get frustrated with the constant equality talk and pandering by the staff and snowflake students.

If your kid is good, they’ll take him as a junior, especially if you can pay full tiition.

Prep can be really good, but this year it’s a waste of $

Kind of subjective on being a waste. As long as the full season or other options are practicing and training 6 days a week, maybe it could be hockey wise, From our experience, our kids have never skated and worked on skills more than they have at prep this year in Covid, it doesn’t even come close by a long shot compared to their club hockey. It’s been great actually, a ridiculous amount of ice time that didn’t seem to hurt them at all after watching them finally playing some games.

Agree, my kids prep has played a few games but skate every day and work on skills. The 3 schools he is talking with see this year as 1 less year of grind on the body. Glass half full mentality is the only thing getting him through all of this.

FWIW, my son is a freshman at prep. We have been approached by a couple of schools, most of them hinting at a repeat to have him contribute for the full 4 years. One school said it doesn’t matter to them. He did not make varsity but that’s ok, he played one scrimmage with the big boys and he said everything happens so much faster. It probably was a good experience for next year.

He is a straight A even at prep and that’s why we did not want to waste another year. He is loving it where he is. One of his coaches told us, choose the school you would like to be at should hockey be taken away from you. That’s how we did it.