The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: visiting from youth hockey board - college question!

You may want to look at those team's rosters and see the DOB's and also see if they list their last team vs hometown. I commend you for simply trying to ask for a straight answer but doesn't seem likely, although I would have expected more on the high school board but fear some of the youth members are now graduating to this board. I had a cousin who played 4 years in HS Catholic conference, then off to Jr's for a year and up to a NESCAC for 4 years. That is the only direct info I can give you.

My son played in the NESCAC and I think that the only generalizations I can make are that: (a) it was a great experience; and (b) there's no one formula for how to get there. There are a couple of exceptions, but for the most part, his teammates were very good students (top of their class) and very good hockey players. lots of them had D1 interest and or commitments, played in the best prep schools, etc.... I would estimate that a third of the players aged out of juniors, maybe a third come directly from prep schools (usually after a PG year or having repeated a year). The rest are an assortment of kids who played midget hockey, transferred from somewhere else (sometimes a D1 school), etc... There are a few kids who make it right from high school, but that is rare. For some teams (trinity especially) most, if not all, of the incoming kids are 21 year old frosh. The other schools aren't as bad, but they'll recruit at least some older kids out of juniors too. Many of those schools have summer exposure camps that can be worthwhile. Look on the websites for info. The coaches that my son dealt with were pretty open about how to get to that level. There are only about 80 spots a year in the whole league. So the kids who get to play there are very lucky.

Google NESCAC hockey recruits

Database of recruits and background.

Thank you. This is actually helpful info!