Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Anyone know?

From personal experience the % changes because of coaching changes.
New guy comes in, wipes the slate clean and selects his own guys.
Something to consider if your years away.

Why would any kid commit to a college before getting a taste of Jr Hockey? I just don't get it? Parents, relax, no need to lose sleep if your kid is not committed yet. Also remember, once he commits other schools stop watching him. Nothing worse than loosing your commitment and then no spots available.

anon
Why would any kid commit to a college before getting a taste of Jr Hockey? I just don't get it? Parents, relax, no need to lose sleep if your kid is not committed yet. Also remember, once he commits other schools stop watching him. Nothing worse than loosing your commitment and then no spots available.
Agreed.

If your kid is that good and going to actually play at a D1 school, there will be more schools interested over time. Why not wait and have a list of schools to pick from later?

Please don't tell me "the school will just move on to the next kid". Again if your kid is that good and is actually going to play at the D1 level, they will take your commitment whenever you give it. If it's later, they will just bump someone off the list when it comes time.

Silly silly. All putting the cart in front of the horse.

Kid is a good young player, finds his way to some discussions with a D-1 coach, tells the coach "Sounds good I like your program, but it's too early for me to commit." Kid makes it through high school and starts looking for a Jr. team and attends tryouts at USHL, NAHL, NCDC, EHL, USPHL. . . makes it on to a team, maybe pays $10K a year for the honor and tries to standout and find a college that will take him.

Or

College coach likes a young player, offers 14 players a spot (when there might only be 4-5 actually available), kid now wears the badge as a D-1 commit, moves to the front of the line for all select teams, plays in show cases, top line and when he finishes high school the college coach slides him onto a USHL or NAHL team, kid has his path greased and may or may not ever play a minute of D-1 hockey.

Unless you're an immediate NHL draft candidate, take the commit, ride that horse for all it's worth as it makes your life a lot easier.

anon

Kid is a good young player, finds his way to some discussions with a D-1 coach, tells the coach "Sounds good I like your program, but it's too early for me to commit." Kid makes it through high school and starts looking for a Jr. team and attends tryouts at USHL, NAHL, NCDC, EHL, USPHL. . . makes it on to a team, maybe pays $10K a year for the honor and tries to standout and find a college that will take him.

Or

College coach likes a young player, offers 14 players a spot (when there might only be 4-5 actually available), kid now wears the badge as a D-1 commit, moves to the front of the line for all select teams, plays in show cases, top line and when he finishes high school the college coach slides him onto a USHL or NAHL team, kid has his path greased and may or may not ever play a minute of D-1 hockey.

Unless you're an immediate NHL draft candidate, take the commit, ride that horse for all it's worth as it makes your life a lot easier.
This. Having that COMMIT and logo by your name helps to grease the path, opens lots of doors, and judging hockey talent is subjective the way it is, having that logo by your name changes perception. Also, coaches and scouts are human and have egos. Those dubbed early on as worthy of a commitment will get every benefit of the doubt as experts hate to be wrong.

If you have the chance to commit you take it. It's only a verbal and you can always decommit and recommit somewhere else.

Anon
anon

Kid is a good young player, finds his way to some discussions with a D-1 coach, tells the coach \"Sounds good I like your program, but it\'s too early for me to commit.\" Kid makes it through high school and starts looking for a Jr. team and attends tryouts at USHL, NAHL, NCDC, EHL, USPHL. . . makes it on to a team, maybe pays $10K a year for the honor and tries to standout and find a college that will take him.

Or

Unless you\'re an immediate NHL draft candidate, take the commit, ride that horse for all it\'s worth as it makes your life a lot easier.
This. Having that COMMIT and logo by your name helps to grease the path, opens lots of doors, and judging hockey talent is subjective the way it is, having that logo by your name changes perception. Also, coaches and scouts are human and have egos. Those dubbed early on as worthy of a commitment will get every benefit of the doubt as experts hate to be wrong.

If you have the chance to commit you take it. It's only a verbal and you can always decommit and recommit somewhere else.
They shouldn't call it a commit. Sounds like it's not really a commitment on either side?

Anon
anon
Agreed.

If your kid is that good and going to actually play at a D1 school, there will be more schools interested over time. Why not wait and have a list of schools to pick from later?

Please don't tell me "the school will just move on to the next kid". Again if your kid is that good and is actually going to play at the D1 level, they will take your commitment whenever you give it. If it's later, they will just bump someone off the list when it comes time.
:+1:

If it was a bad thing to be an early commit then why the absolute rush for the legacy kids to get that college icon next to their name asap. As others have said, it opens way more doors than it shuts.

69%

I'll take those odds.