Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prep ?

Similar numbers, a little higher and we pay 35. Very low endowment at his school. That's what matters.

Not trying to be a jerk, really, but coming on the board saying you make more than 95% of everyone else won't help your discussion about not being able to afford an exclusive prep school.

Anon
I hear the same thing always with regards to prep school and cost. Be rich or be poor. With these schools running 60-70 grand what kind of money are people really getting? Wife and I make about 200k. Got 2 other kids in college and no way I could swing that kind of sticker. I have a good hockey player that plays tier 1.
It's not so much how much money you make. They take into account your expenses, especially sibling's expenses (AKA college). It also matters how badly they want your kid. My family for example is in your income bracket and our kid was offered substantial grants. The schools that accepted him offered grants of 30K, 50K, and 55K respectively.

It's much more than just your tax return. It's a shame that so many middle and low income families dont understand the amount of grant money that is available. Don't let the sticker price shock you. Go through the process and apply, have your kid reach out to coaches and programs that interest them. There's plenty of grant money out there.

Haaaaaaaa

I'm in a similar income area, about $180K and I have an older son in college. I pay about $11K including boarding. Full price is $65K+. These schools have the $$$ - you just need to find the one that WANTS your kid.

anon
I'm in a similar income area, about $180K and I have an older son in college. I pay about $11K including boarding. Full price is $65K+. These schools have the $$$ - you just need to find the one that WANTS your kid.
Starting lakes region tours in 2 weeks and will be upfront with coaches. 11k or better lands a lake trout

lakes region will be tough unless its saint pauls or you have a stud going to KUA

Many of the LR coaches and schools are very active right now.. I'm told money is more available right now for all hockey programs.

Most of the lakes region schools don't have large endowments.

Would agree with others. Find a school with a healthy endowment and a coach that wants your kid. We are at the 235k mark and pay 18 for full tuition and boarding at a school that runs 62k

Much like how many girls people slept with everyone will come on here and inflate numbers or tell you their kid was this "must have" talent that the school threw money at. Ask yourself this first, if the kid was that good, why prep? yes education is good but lots of private highschools and ability to play on USNDTP etc most to all wont pass that up. What you have at prep are a lot of hype kids who were not good enough, got to go to a natty camp, played at some big name tourneys maybe, etc, etc,. Why I mention this is they are a dime a dozen, tons and tons of what I will call "good enough" players. These schools have boards of directors and and other sports all competing for $$. Big schools with big endowments can be more generous but it comes down to a calculation. smaller schools will only have 1 or 2 players they can offer large aid to which are typically guys not quite ready for jr hockey who need the aid to make it work.

My advice is yes 100% dont be scared off by the sticker shock, but no matter how good you think your kid is, be prepared to have to stretch to make it work. Remember they are feeding them, providing tutoring resources, boarding them, entertaining them, assisting them with test prep and college couselling (including them having the rep of the school behind them) and providing 3 sports for them to play at almost no cost other than a few inceidentals). To me if regular price is 70k and you end up paying 20 or 30k you are still getting a hell of a deal. These places were once reserved only for the rich.

Anon
Much like how many girls people slept with everyone will come on here and inflate numbers or tell you their kid was this "must have" talent that the school threw money at. Ask yourself this first, if the kid was that good, why prep? yes education is good but lots of private highschools and ability to play on USNDTP etc most to all wont pass that up. What you have at prep are a lot of hype kids who were not good enough, got to go to a natty camp, played at some big name tourneys maybe, etc, etc,. Why I mention this is they are a dime a dozen, tons and tons of what I will call "good enough" players. These schools have boards of directors and and other sports all competing for $$. Big schools with big endowments can be more generous but it comes down to a calculation. smaller schools will only have 1 or 2 players they can offer large aid to which are typically guys not quite ready for jr hockey who need the aid to make it work.

My advice is yes 100% dont be scared off by the sticker shock, but no matter how good you think your kid is, be prepared to have to stretch to make it work. Remember they are feeding them, providing tutoring resources, boarding them, entertaining them, assisting them with test prep and college couselling (including them having the rep of the school behind them) and providing 3 sports for them to play at almost no cost other than a few inceidentals). To me if regular price is 70k and you end up paying 20 or 30k you are still getting a hell of a deal. These places were once reserved only for the rich.
I guess I should have clarified as my response to the OP was for my daughter who attends prep.

Prep hockey isn't worth the cost of admission. Save the money and put it towards college, if the kid is any good (at any team he is on) send him out to the Midwest for a summer camp at one of the USHL teams and see if he gets noticed. If he doesn't get noticed he's looking at local Jr. anyway post high school.

Right because a kid that goes to prep only goes there for the 10 weeks that they play hockey at the school. No other reason to attend a prep. Gotcha, Enjoy the midwest

Ohhhhh, you meant to post over at the 'College Admission DBoard'. This is the Hockey DBoard.

Oh my bad, was confused. Just text me though when my car is ready. Same as usual, use synthetic. Let me check e college admissions site, I will tell you about it when I grab my car from you. Call the detail guy as well.

guy makes 45k in the hockey industry.. if he works harder at dboard might make 60k next year. would be better off a jiffy lube lol