Visit The DBoard Online Store - https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Why Prep

I don’t see Prep powerhouses moving kids to college? Am I missing something? Dexters link with Harvard has more than any team out there. Cushing with 2, Avon with 2, St.George’s with 4 I believe. MIAA D1 free hockey seems the better choice. Preps just don’t have the juice they used to.

Re: Why Prep

MIAA D1, rolling on the floor laughing

I mean, I get it, its a stretch but the OP is right, Why go the Prep route when they are moving 1 or 2 players per year onto college. 98% of them will get lost in JRs just like the MIAA players.

Does anyone care about education? Hockey lasts a few more years, but the ignorance is permanent.

Unless you are a bus driver or a short line cook, you go the ISL route you aint getting shinola for merit.
I on the other hand and am very successful like most of the people I hang around with.
So the OP posts a very useful question: Is the education 200k better? Then another 250k for college? Your gonna spend half a million bucks on your benders education so he can play prep school hockey and then go off to some small, private, ultra liberal college at 70k/year where you will once again get zero aid?
Go watch Braintree play Arlington or Braintree play Hingham. Packed house, all their friends in the stands, girls screaming their name.

It's a very valid q by the OP.

Says the guy posting about education on a hockey dboard. You might want to look in the mirror when searching for ignorance.

Hey cracker jack. I went to community college then night school. Favorite part of my career was when my cubicle was right next to guys that went to Middlebury, BC, Williams, and Zoom***. Actually, my favorite part was when I got promoted and managed those guys. Good dudes, we drank a lot of beer after work and still hang with them now.
Go spend your money however you see fit. Keep transferring that wealth right out of your pocket and out of your retirement account. The world is your oyster.
Sounds like reality is hitting you in the face a bit.

There are a total of 62 players with NCAA Commitments (D1 and D3) currently playing New England Prep Hockey- That's sad!
What are you people doing? Stop sending you kid to "Hockey" schools when they don't belong. Coaches, stop taking these kids who you know are not going to move on past High school hockey. This would benefit the kids, the school, and the level of play in prep.

anon
There are a total of 62 players with NCAA Commitments (D1 and D3) currently playing New England Prep Hockey- That's sad!
What are you people doing? Stop sending you kid to "Hockey" schools when they don't belong. Coaches, stop taking these kids who you know are not going to move on past High school hockey. This would benefit the kids, the school, and the level of play in prep.
Umm. My kid isn’t going to prep for the hockey or the education. That is a side benefit as both are better than his local options.

He is going to prep to meet a rich girl and or make connections that help pave his way through adulthood.

C’mon people.

Anon
anon
Umm. My kid isn’t going to prep for the hockey or the education. That is a side benefit as both are better than his local options.

He is going to prep to meet a rich girl and or make connections that help pave his way through adulthood.

C’mon people.
Not going to school for Hockey but you hang out on a Hockey Dboard..Right! Shouldn't you be on Collegeconfidential.com so you can discus academic offerings and education development? Beat it dude.

anon
Anon
anon
There are a total of 62 players with NCAA Commitments (D1 and D3) currently playing New England Prep Hockey- That\'s sad!
What are you people doing? Stop sending you kid to \"Hockey\" schools when they don\'t belong. Coaches, stop taking these kids who you know are not going to move on past High school hockey. This would benefit the kids, the school, and the level of play in prep.

C’mon people.
Not going to school for Hockey but you hang out on a Hockey Dboard..Right! Shouldn't you be on Collegeconfidential.com so you can discus academic offerings and education development? Beat it dude.
He is not going to school for hockey.

hockey is a big part of his life, but he is not going to school for "Hockey".

going by your criteria it is okay for a parent to be on here if they are chasing the dream at 2010 Bandits for hockey, but a parent whose kid is at prep playing hockey where he was recruited for hockey shouldn't be on here becuase he didnt chose that route based on the hockey.

get a grip man.

anon
No way! with scores this year like 16-0, 8-0, 9-3, just this week, the talent pool in prep is better than ever!

anon
I dunno 62 seems pretty good to me. What is a better local option with higher number of commits?

That is about .045% of Prep players that are committed. Solid odds!

Are there really 1,377 kids playing varsity prep hockey in New England?

Anon
Are there really 1,377 kids playing varsity prep hockey in New England?

More actually

If people are complains about the quality, there’s your answer.

HockeyDude
Hey cracker jack. I went to community college then night school. Favorite part of my career was when my cubicle was right next to guys that went to Middlebury, BC, Williams, and Zoom***. Actually, my favorite part was when I got promoted and managed those guys. Good dudes, we drank a lot of beer after work and still hang with them now.
Go spend your money however you see fit. Keep transferring that wealth right out of your pocket and out of your retirement account. The world is your oyster.
Sounds like reality is hitting you in the face a bit.
ok honeybun. I know it's Friday but its a bit early for being that drunk.

It's a legit question. Prep isn't what it once was, that's for sure. The situation is they all pretty much go to Junior teams anyway.

Playing a good high school on a competitive Midget team and using those Club team contacts to get onto a good Junior team is maybe the sanest way to go. Go to the summer tournaments and you'll see the top public kids more than holding their own against the Prep players so for top-end talent (provided the kid loves the game and wants to continue) focus on the Junior team as the lever to college, not Prep.

Yes, for many families spending the $250K more on a house in a competitive hockey town with a good high school (Hingham as an example) is most likely going to get you a higher return than spending it on a kids Prep school education. If you love the elitist aura and the kid wearing a tie to school everyday then the kid can always PG a year after high school...saves you three years tuition.

You guys dont get it. You pay $50K/year for prep so your parents can brag that you are in an exclusive institution. Then you graduate and pay $75K to an expensive college so your parents can put a bumper sticker on their car again to brag they now have a kid at an exclusive college. Then the kid graduates to his $85K/year job a quarter million in debt and they call it a success.
My neighbor graduated from public high school, skipped college, and is making $125K as a lineman with a full pension in 20 years and is debt free. But I guess his parents never could brag all those years.

At 17 years old the highest paid tik tok creator makes 17 million per year more than most CEOs.

Better off focusing on tik tok than the prep hockey.

anon
You guys dont get it. You pay $50K/year for prep so your parents can brag that you are in an exclusive institution. Then you graduate and pay $75K to an expensive college so your parents can put a bumper sticker on their car again to brag they now have a kid at an exclusive college. Then the kid graduates to his $85K/year job a quarter million in debt and they call it a success.
My neighbor graduated from public high school, skipped college, and is making $125K as a lineman with a full pension in 20 years and is debt free. But I guess his parents never could brag all those years.

Have you ever meet a parent that brags about prep school? Like, what do they say? I’ve been in hockey for 30 years and other than answering the question when I ask where they play I have never had a parent say more than that. What is the brag?

My son is the first in our family to ever attend a prep school. It is what he wanted to do and he interviewed and we got the aid to make it work. He is a junior and I am already reaching out to junior programs because I know he will have to play juniors before he ever thinks about playing Division I or III. I dont think that I brag that he is at prep school, we like it because he gets the small class size and way more attention to help him improve as a student. He would not get that in our public system. I have been to plenty of prep games and they are packed with kids and its a really fun atmosphere, I think both highschool and prep school would be equally fun for a kid to play. The truth is that prep, high school and junior hockey are all just places to play. Many of these kids have been on track to attend D1 way before they worried about prep school. Numbers are probably lower right now because of COVID more than anything else. If I am trying to go D1 or already have my comitment then playing 20 games of hockey in prep is really not all that enticing (if I care more about hockey than edcuation). Probably why the hockey power house preps are not doing as well as they have in prior years. Everyone is so concerned about whos way is the right way and there is none. Kids will come out of all different leagues and situations as it always has been.

Anon
anon

Have you ever meet a parent that brags about prep school? Like, what do they say? I’ve been in hockey for 30 years and other than answering the question when I ask where they play I have never had a parent say more than that. What is the brag?
Things

It's a different model out here. Midwest produces plenty of talent with no prep school. Boys play AAA hockey until 16-17 and then go Jrs and then college. Girls play AAA their entire career and then go straight to college. All play entire year (8 months) instead of split seasons. Minnesota is even a different model. High School is the end all be all and more boys and girls go to college to play than any other state. Parents have bought the "prep is the only way" BS out here. It's a flawed expensive model.

Completely regret sending our son to prep. 2 years of Covid, 20 games total, no real exposure. Terrible hockey decision, he’s a smart kid and would have been fine at our public. Sports makes some parents make dumb choices. I’m some parents. Time to move on to pay to play jrs and try to find a spot at a D3 state school. Fun time!

My oldest wanted to go prep school purely for academics. We visited and she applied to only a couple. We did not get any financial aid. 50k a year for a day school over 4 years was not something we wanted to take on. My local public school is good but certainly not in the top 50 for Mass. She took as many AP classes as she could, was a great student and parti****ted in activities. She received a tremendous scholarship to an excellent college, not an Ivy but not a diploma factory either. She is happy she didn't go the prep route. She feels she would have landed at the same type of school coming out of prep as she did from our local public. We are not Ivy legacies so going prep would not have changed her going the Ivy route. For our son, we looked at a prep for hockey as that is what everyone told us he needed to do.Repeat him and go to prep. He did not go prep and we did not repeat him.. He pla*** full season hockey, developed and sta*** at our local public. He's pla*** against the same kids (EHF/E9) for years and there are some his age playing in the USHL or on NHL prospects lists but for the most part, they are in the same boat. They all need to play a couple years of jr hockey.

Anon
Completely regret sending our son to prep. 2 years of Covid, 20 games total, no real exposure. Terrible hockey decision, he’s a smart kid and would have been fine at our public. Sports makes some parents make dumb choices. I’m some parents. Time to move on to pay to play jrs and try to find a spot at a D3 state school. Fun time!
That is the same experience as 95% of the kids playing prep before Covid except more games. The studs move on, get the exposure, jump early to USHL or NAHL, or graduate and go right to a NESCAC school, but they would've regardless of where they pla***. Everyone else enters the T3 pay to play meat grinder for 2-3 years.

anon
Anon
That is the same experience as 95% of the kids playing prep before Covid except more games. The studs move on, get the exposure, jump early to USHL or NAHL, or graduate and go right to a NESCAC school, but they would've regardless of where they pla***. Everyone else enters the T3 pay to play meat grinder for 2-3 years.
2 years for my guy because we bought into the "repeat" year. Adulting fail.

Most kids dont commit until they are 18 and above, so its not always being captured while in prep. Prep is great to get the elite from the team to D1, and gives a great opportunity for D1 schools to view players repeatedly. As some of those players from prep move on to Jrs, their opportunities solidify. There are only so many D1 spots available and only the top players will get D1 spots, anyone thinking there are teams full of players committed to D1 schools would be wrong. There are a few prep schools that have multiple players and they are the top of prep, but they are the exception. Prep is a great route for great hockey, great exposure and a chance to prove yourself. It is up to the player to do the work

……and you just said it. Prep doesn’t make the player folks. You are wasting your money at Prep schools. Repeat after me, PREP SCHOOLS ARE FOR BOOK WORMS AND TIN FOIL LIBERAL RETARDS.

Anon
……and you just said it. Prep doesn’t make the player folks. You are wasting your money at Prep schools. Repeat after me, PREP SCHOOLS ARE FOR BOOK WORMS AND TIN FOIL LIBERAL RETARDS.
Not you again mr simpleton!!!! Sorry your kid wasn’t wanted by any preps. Does it strike you at all while typing that for the umpteenth time that it’s run it’s course and was never very funny to begin with? I know there’s no education requirement here but try to dial it up a notch for the rest of us!!!

anon
Anon
Not you again mr simpleton!!!! Sorry your kid wasn’t wanted by any preps. Does it strike you at all while typing that for the umpteenth time that it’s run it’s course and was never very funny to begin with? I know there’s no education requirement here but try to dial it up a notch for the rest of us!!!
I’m like your worst nightmare. I own you. Hahaha.