Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Why Prep

My oldest wanted to go prep school purely for academics. We visited and she applied to only a couple. We did not get any financial aid. 50k a year for a day school over 4 years was not something we wanted to take on. My local public school is good but certainly not in the top 50 for Mass. She took as many AP classes as she could, was a great student and parti****ted in activities. She received a tremendous scholarship to an excellent college, not an Ivy but not a diploma factory either. She is happy she didn't go the prep route. She feels she would have landed at the same type of school coming out of prep as she did from our local public. We are not Ivy legacies so going prep would not have changed her going the Ivy route. For our son, we looked at a prep for hockey as that is what everyone told us he needed to do.Repeat him and go to prep. He did not go prep and we did not repeat him.. He pla*** full season hockey, developed and sta*** at our local public. He's pla*** against the same kids (EHF/E9) for years and there are some his age playing in the USHL or on NHL prospects lists but for the most part, they are in the same boat. They all need to play a couple years of jr hockey.

Anon
Completely regret sending our son to prep. 2 years of Covid, 20 games total, no real exposure. Terrible hockey decision, he’s a smart kid and would have been fine at our public. Sports makes some parents make dumb choices. I’m some parents. Time to move on to pay to play jrs and try to find a spot at a D3 state school. Fun time!
That is the same experience as 95% of the kids playing prep before Covid except more games. The studs move on, get the exposure, jump early to USHL or NAHL, or graduate and go right to a NESCAC school, but they would've regardless of where they pla***. Everyone else enters the T3 pay to play meat grinder for 2-3 years.

anon
Anon
Completely regret sending our son to prep. 2 years of Covid, 20 games total, no real exposure. Terrible hockey decision, he’s a smart kid and would have been fine at our public. Sports makes some parents make dumb choices. I’m some parents. Time to move on to pay to play jrs and try to find a spot at a D3 state school. Fun time!
That is the same experience as 95% of the kids playing prep before Covid except more games. The studs move on, get the exposure, jump early to USHL or NAHL, or graduate and go right to a NESCAC school, but they would've regardless of where they pla***. Everyone else enters the T3 pay to play meat grinder for 2-3 years.
2 years for my guy because we bought into the "repeat" year. Adulting fail.

Most kids dont commit until they are 18 and above, so its not always being captured while in prep. Prep is great to get the elite from the team to D1, and gives a great opportunity for D1 schools to view players repeatedly. As some of those players from prep move on to Jrs, their opportunities solidify. There are only so many D1 spots available and only the top players will get D1 spots, anyone thinking there are teams full of players committed to D1 schools would be wrong. There are a few prep schools that have multiple players and they are the top of prep, but they are the exception. Prep is a great route for great hockey, great exposure and a chance to prove yourself. It is up to the player to do the work

……and you just said it. Prep doesn’t make the player folks. You are wasting your money at Prep schools. Repeat after me, PREP SCHOOLS ARE FOR BOOK WORMS AND TIN FOIL LIBERAL RETARDS.

Anon
……and you just said it. Prep doesn’t make the player folks. You are wasting your money at Prep schools. Repeat after me, PREP SCHOOLS ARE FOR BOOK WORMS AND TIN FOIL LIBERAL RETARDS.
Not you again mr simpleton!!!! Sorry your kid wasn’t wanted by any preps. Does it strike you at all while typing that for the umpteenth time that it’s run it’s course and was never very funny to begin with? I know there’s no education requirement here but try to dial it up a notch for the rest of us!!!

anon
Anon
Not you again mr simpleton!!!! Sorry your kid wasn’t wanted by any preps. Does it strike you at all while typing that for the umpteenth time that it’s run it’s course and was never very funny to begin with? I know there’s no education requirement here but try to dial it up a notch for the rest of us!!!
I’m like your worst nightmare. I own you. Hahaha.