Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prep school aid

If you decided that, because of how special your child is, you would not send your bender to any prep school who did not give a full, 100% paid, scholarship/aid package, despite your substantial wealth, you child's chances of going to Prep school would be substantially diminished.

In contrast, if you applied as a full pay applicant, your talented einstein/crosby bender would have a much higher likelihood of attending a Prep school.

Despite the obvious preference that everyone has to pay less, rather than more, many, many parents are willing to pay full freight to provide an enhanced experience for their child. This is evidenced by the college admissions scandal where parents paid up to $500K to bribe their kids into the college of their choice.

Talented kids are not in short supply, and neither are families who have resources they are willing to expend.

Good luck!

We found offers all over the place from different schools. My wife and I make good money (240). We have 2 in college and plenty of bills. Retirement is well funded. We received offers from zero to 40. We took a 35 offer to day school at an ISL school close to our house. We pay 23

ISL schools having access to other ISL school grant info doesn't seem right but I literally know nothing.

Anon
ISL schools having access to other ISL school grant info doesn't seem right but I literally know nothing.
That's a fact. ISL Financial Aid departments share financials about prospective students.

5 Person Household
$200K Combined
1 Mortgage
2 Cars
Normal Bills
Minimal Retirement Fund
No Stocks/No Bonds
No other real estate holdings
Support 1 Grandparent

4.0 (GPA Good School District)
Varsity Hockey- 1st Line MIAA D2 as a freshman
JV Soccer
Freshman Lacrosse

Our kid applied to 4 ISLs.
1 Waitlisted and eventually didn't get in.
1 25K. Told this school about other 2 offers, they investigated and couldn't (or wouldn't) match
1 30K. Told this school about better offer, they investigated and upped grant to 50K
1 50K. Told this school about match and said they couldn't grant more. Our kid chose this school in part because the coach and admissions department made him feel wanted. (4K out of pocket)

We were open with the schools, and the schools were open with us. A lot of back and forth and cooperation by everyone. Found a great landing spot, and my kid is happy with his decision.

Anon
Anon
That's a fact. ISL Financial Aid departments share financials about prospective students.

5 Person Household
$200K Combined
1 Mortgage
2 Cars
Normal Bills
Minimal Retirement Fund
No Stocks/No Bonds
Support 1 Grandparent

JV Soccer
Freshman Lacrosse

1 25K. Told this school about other 2 offers, they investigated and couldn't (or wouldn't) match
1 30K. Told this school about better offer, they investigated and upped grant to 50K
1 50K. Told this school about match and said they couldn't grant more. Our kid chose this school in part because the coach and admissions department made him feel wanted. (4K out of pocket)

We were open with the schools, and the schools were open with us. A lot of back and forth and cooperation by everyone. Found a great landing spot, and my kid is happy with his decision.
He/ She is an insider. That is all you need to know.

^ What? An insider at 4 different schools?

You need only do your research and ask questions about the process, like how they arrived at their grant number. Too many families take what is offered and do not ask for consideration. It might be a costly health condition, parental support, spousal support, a layoff, etc. You can even include the yearly amount your family spends on youth sports for all your kids. Everything is taken into consideration. You just have to be a willing parti****nt in the process. You know what else goes a long way? Making sure your kid reciprocates the school's interest with visits, zooms, and face to face dates with teachers, department heads, coaches, students and Alumni. If they can gauge that the family has a vested interest in the kids education and will be a willing parti****nt in the kid's years at the school then they will be more willing to accept the kid into the school and offer a decent grant.

Those Parents who want to simply sign a tuition check and drop the kid off in August, then are AWOL until May are not the kind of families they are looking to admit.

Some of you will burn countless hours online looking for "proof" to justify your flat earth beliefs but can't be bothered to research how to help your kid apply to Prep schools. Then you wonder why your kid gets waitlisted or your grant letter sucks.

But cool story bro, I'm an "insider".

Anon
Anon

5 Person Household
$200K Combined
1 Mortgage
2 Cars
Normal Bills
Minimal Retirement Fund
No Stocks/No Bonds
Support 1 Grandparent

JV Soccer
Freshman Lacrosse

Typical American. "Minimal Retirement Fund"
You better get your kids a good education because they are going to supporting your dumb ****

anon
Anon
Anon
ISL schools having access to other ISL school grant info doesn\'t seem right but I literally know nothing.
That\'s a fact. ISL Financial Aid departments share financials about prospective students.

5 Person Household
$200K Combined
1 Mortgage
2 Cars
Normal Bills
Minimal Retirement Fund
No Stocks/No Bonds
Support 1 Grandparent

JV Soccer
Freshman Lacrosse

1 Waitlisted and eventually didn\'t get in.
1 25K. Told this school about other 2 offers, they investigated and couldn\'t (or wouldn\'t) match
1 50K. Told this school about match and said they couldn\'t grant more. Our kid chose this school in part because the coach and admissions department made him feel wanted. (4K out of pocket)

Typical American. "Minimal Retirement Fund"
You better get your kids a good education because they are going to supporting your dumb ****
Hey donkey.... you ever stop to think that some bloodlines haven't been here since the Mayflower. Perhaps the income they've earned has gone to their own education, house, car, and now their own kid's education? So yeah... minimal retirement fund is more likely to be the norm than not.

Anon
anon
Anon
Anon
ISL schools having access to other ISL school grant info doesn\\\'t seem right but I literally know nothing.
That\\\'s a fact. ISL Financial Aid departments share financials about prospective students.

5 Person Household
$200K Combined
1 Mortgage
2 Cars
Normal Bills
Minimal Retirement Fund
No Stocks/No Bonds
Support 1 Grandparent

JV Soccer
Freshman Lacrosse

1 Waitlisted and eventually didn\\\'t get in.
1 25K. Told this school about other 2 offers, they investigated and couldn\\\'t (or wouldn\\\'t) match
1 50K. Told this school about match and said they couldn\\\'t grant more. Our kid chose this school in part because the coach and admissions department made him feel wanted. (4K out of pocket)

Typical American. \"Minimal Retirement Fund\"
Hey donkey.... you ever stop to think that some bloodlines haven't been here since the Mayflower. Perhaps the income they've earned has gone to their own education, house, car, and now their own kid's education? So yeah... minimal retirement fund is more likely to be the norm than not.
Then don't complain when your working at 75 and sucking the teet off the government. Always an excuse. Drive a Civic instead of a BMW and use the difference for your 401 dumb ass. I can send my kid to prep school but I can't fund my retirement. Brilliant!

Teet of govt. That says it all. Thanks for playing Q.

This is the type of donkey who follows anything Tucker spits out then calls others sheep. Lumps Prep school families into two groups, those that can't afford it but still send their kids, and those that are filthy rich and tuition is a drop in the bucket.

Both are either stupid or elitest. Stop me when I'm wrong

Life must be bliss for a simpleton like yourself.

Happy vs Mad, us vs them, Prep vs MIAA, Fox vs CNN, Fed vs E9. Am I right?

So which is it? Will your tax dollars support me? Last I checked I'm the one paying for your mommy and daddy's social security. Or are my kids destined to support me? I'm sure they'll insist on supporting me seeing as their ISL and Ivy league degrees will get them far enough to afford to... if they wanted to. Don't get mad, MIAA hockey rocks, and UMass is a decent school.

Now go eat a foot long hot dog MAGA loser.

Anon

This is the type of donkey who follows anything Tucker spits out then calls others sheep. Lumps Prep school families into two groups, those that can't afford it but still send their kids, and those that are filthy rich and tuition is a drop in the bucket.

So which is it? Will your tax dollars support me? Last I checked I'm the one paying for your mommy and daddy's social security. Or are my kids destined to support me? I'm sure they'll insist on supporting me seeing as their ISL and Ivy league degrees will get them far enough to afford to... if they wanted to. Don't get mad, MIAA hockey rocks, and UMass is a decent school.

actually you sound pretty unstable. not rare in the hockey world I guess.

Anon

I wasn't the guy that wrote the message but come on. You talk about making 200k in your example but have nothing in your retirement account and are sending kids to prep school? Absolutely no one to blame but yourself. Terrible money management.

Anon

Could this guy be any more of an unstable douche? Nice rant Jack. I have zero money but the world is OK because my kids have an ISL degree. Making fun of a University and kids that go to public school. I hope those prep schools are proud of you. The stereotypical prep parent. Im an ****hole and in debt up to my eyes but my kid goes to prep school. Woo hoo. You might want to visit the lady down the street with the sign hanging out front. Healthy dose if Lithium may be in order.

My kid starting UMASS Amherst next year, navigated a highly rated public HS with top grades and took 7 AP classes. Is self sufficient and we never did any helicopter parenting with private tutors etc. I think they'll be ok and is already talking graduate school/possibly med school. We have plenty of financial assets & travel a lot. We plan on retiring somewhat early. I don't think prep schools mean as much anymore, the world has changed with more opportunities for the highly motivated. Go UMASS! with an extra $200k in the bank.

Anon
My kid starting UMASS Amherst next year, navigated a highly rated public HS with top grades and took 7 AP classes. Is self sufficient and we never did any helicopter parenting with private tutors etc. I think they'll be ok and is already talking graduate school/possibly med school. We have plenty of financial assets & travel a lot. We plan on retiring somewhat early. I don't think prep schools mean as much anymore, the world has changed with more opportunities for the highly motivated. Go UMASS! with an extra $200k in the bank.
Guys, its MR. It Must Cost $200K To Attend Prep School! Lets see how that Grad school, Pre Med path is doing after sophomore year at ZOOMASS! Playing hockey or no? Was he "recruited" for the Club team?

Anon
‘Talking med school’
I wish that was all that it took to actually matriculate into med school. Enjoy your extra 200k which will be 100k very soon if it’s in the market. Can you get your kid to start talking about how to earn 10% in the market. Might actually be easier than getting into med school and I sure could use it with 3 kids a3ay at prep.

Anon
Anon
My kid starting UMASS Amherst next year, navigated a highly rated public HS with top grades and took 7 AP classes. Is self sufficient and we never did any helicopter parenting with private tutors etc. I think they\'ll be ok and is already talking graduate school/possibly med school. We have plenty of financial assets & travel a lot. We plan on retiring somewhat early. I don\'t think prep schools mean as much anymore, the world has changed with more opportunities for the highly motivated. Go UMASS! with an extra $200k in the bank.
‘Talking med school’
I wish that was all that it took to actually matriculate into med school. Enjoy your extra 200k which will be 100k very soon if it’s in the market. Can you get your kid to start talking about how to earn 10% in the market. Might actually be easier than getting into med school and I sure could use it with 3 kids a3ay at prep.
Good to see the broke Kool Aid drinking prep dad is back. Doesn't have a retirement fund but loves paying those prep school bills.
He is one smart guy.

Anon
My kid is talking about being a super hero, maybe they will be roommates

Anon
anon
Anon
Anon
ISL schools having access to other ISL school grant info doesn\\\'t seem right but I literally know nothing.
That\\\'s a fact. ISL Financial Aid departments share financials about prospective students.

5 Person Household
$200K Combined
1 Mortgage
2 Cars
Normal Bills
Minimal Retirement Fund
No Stocks/No Bonds
Support 1 Grandparent

JV Soccer
Freshman Lacrosse

1 Waitlisted and eventually didn\\\'t get in.
1 25K. Told this school about other 2 offers, they investigated and couldn\\\'t (or wouldn\\\'t) match
1 50K. Told this school about match and said they couldn\\\'t grant more. Our kid chose this school in part because the coach and admissions department made him feel wanted. (4K out of pocket)

Typical American. \"Minimal Retirement Fund\"
More like the norm? Who the hell doesnt save for retirement? Hell I'm 52 and have 2.3 million in my 401k. Try saving some of your money and having your company match it. You must have missed that in your ISL eco class. Historical avg return of the S & P is 10.5%

anon
Anon
anon
Anon
Anon
ISL schools having access to other ISL school grant info doesn\\\\\\\'t seem right but I literally know nothing.
That\\\\\\\'s a fact. ISL Financial Aid departments share financials about prospective students.

5 Person Household
$200K Combined
1 Mortgage
2 Cars
Normal Bills
Minimal Retirement Fund
No Stocks/No Bonds
Support 1 Grandparent

JV Soccer
Freshman Lacrosse

1 Waitlisted and eventually didn\\\\\\\'t get in.
1 25K. Told this school about other 2 offers, they investigated and couldn\\\\\\\'t (or wouldn\\\\\\\'t) match
1 50K. Told this school about match and said they couldn\\\\\\\'t grant more. Our kid chose this school in part because the coach and admissions department made him feel wanted. (4K out of pocket)

Typical American. \\\"Minimal Retirement Fund\\\"
Hey donkey.... you ever stop to think that some bloodlines haven\'t been here since the Mayflower. Perhaps the income they\'ve earned has gone to their own education, house, car, and now their own kid\'s education? So yeah... minimal retirement fund is more likely to be the norm than not.
More like the norm? Who the hell doesnt save for retirement? Hell I'm 52 and have 2.3 million in my 401k. Try saving some of your money and having your company match it. You must have missed that in your ISL eco class. Historical avg return of the S & P is 10.5%

You have cr*p sh*t in your retirement account but certainly not 2.3 million. You are so full of **** it’s laughable. At least try to make the timeline work to be not so blatantly obvious in the stuff you make up.

Anon
anon
Anon
anon
Anon
Anon
ISL schools having access to other ISL school grant info doesn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t seem right but I literally know nothing.
That\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s a fact. ISL Financial Aid departments share financials about prospective students.

5 Person Household
$200K Combined
1 Mortgage
2 Cars
Normal Bills
Minimal Retirement Fund
No Stocks/No Bonds
Support 1 Grandparent

JV Soccer
Freshman Lacrosse

1 Waitlisted and eventually didn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t get in.
1 25K. Told this school about other 2 offers, they investigated and couldn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t (or wouldn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t) match
1 50K. Told this school about match and said they couldn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t grant more. Our kid chose this school in part because the coach and admissions department made him feel wanted. (4K out of pocket)

Typical American. \\\\\\\"Minimal Retirement Fund\\\\\\\"
Hey donkey.... you ever stop to think that some bloodlines haven\\\'t been here since the Mayflower. Perhaps the income they\\\'ve earned has gone to their own education, house, car, and now their own kid\\\'s education? So yeah... minimal retirement fund is more likely to be the norm than not.
More like the norm? Who the hell doesnt save for retirement? Hell I\'m 52 and have 2.3 million in my 401k. Try saving some of your money and having your company match it. You must have missed that in your ISL eco class. Historical avg return of the S & P is 10.5%

You have cr*p sh*t in your retirement account but certainly not 2.3 million. You are so full of **** it’s laughable. At least try to make the timeline work to be not so blatantly obvious in the stuff you make up.
Not sure why you are jealous? Timeline? Its called working for 31 years and always contributing to my retirement account. Its simple saving and compound interest. What the flock dont you get about that? When I started my first job I started with 7% taken out matched by 4% by my company. In my 30s I went to 9%. In my 40s I was at 11% and maxing and had to add a Roth. Not sure what you dont get? Its not that hard. Some of us went to school, kept going to school and had real 6 figure jobs. Some of us learned how to save and made sacrifices to fund our 401 and 529s. Others spend on cars, multiple houses or go in debt to put their kid through prep school. I got 10 more to work and my goals are reached. Good luck living with the kids.