Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Defensemen

Don't know if your post was prompted by the Torey Krug signing, but yes, seeing someone that's a defensive liability get $5 mil a year is a head scratcher. Then again, they overpaid McQuaid and Miller too.

It's a four man attack now, so D men that can join the rush and man the point on the PP are the desired commodity.

But, it's also becoming a north-south game, so those end-to-end rushes will be replaced by a good first pass.

And, that leads to the Next Big Thing. The D man with mobility, hands AND size. Think Noah Hanifin. Remember, he's only 19. Seth Jones. Still just 21. Parents of young, big D men are pushing that skillset, because they know that, in the end, if the skills are approximately equal, the kid with size will get the nod again.

Now, how long it takes for that to reach the Junior and college level is anybody's guess. I'm sure you know coaches, too, that are "stuck" and slow to adapt.

You can teach hands. You still can't teach size.

And you can't teach speed. Speed kills in todays NHL. I'll take a crushing bodycheck check from a 5'8" speed demon that crushes people over a slow footed 6'4" crusher that can't skate.

faster than hell
And you can't teach speed. Speed kills in todays NHL. I'll take a crushing bodycheck check from a 5'8" speed demon that crushes people over a slow footed 6'4" crusher that can't skate.

"crushing bodycheck from a 5'8" speed demon"!!! Last time I saw one of those was in Peewees!!

Today it's the 6'4" speed demon they want...5'8" players need not apply.

Anon
Don't know if your post was prompted by the Torey Krug signing, but yes, seeing someone that's a defensive liability get $5 mil a year is a head scratcher. Then again, they overpaid McQuaid and Miller too.

It's a four man attack now, so D men that can join the rush and man the point on the PP are the desired commodity.

But, it's also becoming a north-south game, so those end-to-end rushes will be replaced by a good first pass.

And, that leads to the Next Big Thing. The D man with mobility, hands AND size. Think Noah Hanifin. Remember, he's only 19. Seth Jones. Still just 21. Parents of young, big D men are pushing that skillset, because they know that, in the end, if the skills are approximately equal, the kid with size will get the nod again.

Now, how long it takes for that to reach the Junior and college level is anybody's guess. I'm sure you know coaches, too, that are "stuck" and slow to adapt.

You can teach hands. You still can't teach size.

Good post.

Yeah part of it was the Krug signing. $5 million a year for an undersized defensive liability / bottom pairing defensemen is a head scratcher. I recall watching a young local high school defensemen who had the right pedigree and a fair amount of skill but played like a forward put into sub for a defensemen. The mom's all loved his end-to-end rushes and the coaches gave him all the minutes he wanted but at the end of the day he was simply a terrible liability on the ice. The 'wow factor' was just too much for even trained hockey guys to ignore.

And after watching all of this I think every parent of a young defensemen should consider moving the kid upfront for a couple years once they've mastered many of the basic position and skating skills required for a defensemen. Working on joining the rush, scoring goals, working on their hands, north / south skating, carrying the puck. The four man attack you mentioned is here and it's very much like the spread offense in football except here it's drifting down from the NHL and in football it is drifting up from high school and college.

Seems the world is short or responsible defensemen and everyone claims to want them but every college that contacted my son their first question has been about how many points he had. Not his play on the PK or his + / -. No reward for being a defense first defensemen!

anon
Seems the world is short or responsible defensemen and everyone claims to want them but every college that contacted my son their first question has been about how many points he had. Not his play on the PK or his + / -. No reward for being a defense first defensemen!

Really, every college coach that contacts your kid is asking them how many points he has? Nice try, if there were any colleges that were interested in your kid, they wouldn't be asking him that question, they would already know.

The way the Junior and club teams keep track and fail to post #'s they always have to ask. Heck, half of them can't produce a roster. The real answer to the question is, "do you play on the PP?"

anon
The way the Junior and club teams keep track and fail to post #'s they always have to ask. Heck, half of them can't produce a roster. The real answer to the question is, "do you play on the PP?"

correct

Anon
anon

correct

sorry, college scouts look at players play, they don't look at stat sheets. sorry your kid isn't good enough

Sorry, college scouts look at everything at their disposal and that includes stat sheets. Sorry, my kid didn't want to play for those easily impressed coaches anyway.