email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: breaking a college hockey commitment

anon
Being connected in the business world like you are, what if a kid comes in with his new diploma and says "yes sir, after two great years at Princeton I decided to transfer to Union and that is where I graduated."

Or "yes sir, after two great years at Union I decided to transfer to Princeton and that is where I graduated."

Which one leaves you scratching your head the most?
Neither. You're talking about Union College like it's Bunker Hill CC.

I'd want them to explain his reasons, and whether they feel they made the right decision, or not, and why.

I would also be more impressed by the one that transferred from Princeton to Union and reached the Frozen Four than the one that went from Union to Princeton and quity the sport. Companies do place importance on athletic achievement. Athletes have better track records of "success" because they know about hard work and dedication.

anon
Being connected in the business world like you are, what if a kid comes in with his new diploma and says "yes sir, after two great years at Princeton I decided to transfer to Union and that is where I graduated."

Or "yes sir, after two great years at Union I decided to transfer to Princeton and that is where I graduated."

Which one leaves you scratching your head the most?

Dude, the kid will be playing division 1 hockey at a great academic school! Stop with your nonsense.

Right on. She knew everything and now she is M.I.A. but I'd love to hear her take on what happened. Certainly her loyal minions must know the story. So let's hear it!

Microphone from the top of the Custom House Tower -

"Attention!, Attention! We are issuing an A.P.B. / All Points Bulletin as to the whereabouts of a one, Ms. Cap A to return to the hollowed Discussion Board whose greatness she helped to create, the Ice Hockey DBoard. Please return, we all need an update and your unparalleled wisdom . . thank you and . . . as you were civilian."

“See them, floundering in their sense of mine, like fish in the puddles of a dried-up stream — and, seeing this, live with no mine, not forming attachment for states of becoming.” The Buddha

Anon
Dumbest thing I ever heard. And today's 13 and 14 year old kids "committing" to a college is also a joke. A one way commitment that means absolutely positively nothing. Some mediocre 02 from BA "committed" to BC. They made no such "commitment" to him. Parents allowing this nonsense is sad. Anyway, they can absolutely not report you to a credit bureau. And they can't stop you from playing anywhere else.

anon
Isn't it true that if you break your college hockey commitment the college can report you to a credit agency? While you have the right to dispute the claim with the credit bureau, in all likelihood you won't be able to buy a car, rent an apartment or get a student loan to go to graduate school. It stays on your record for seven years.

I would like some clarification on your "one way commitment" - I have never heard of such a thing. Every situation I have ever heard of a college verbal commitment works this way - player is offered during meeting with school and accepts. Therefore is "committed" at that point to that school and the school is "committed" to having a spot for that player. There is no such thing as a one way commitment.

anon
Anon
Dumbest thing I ever heard. And today's 13 and 14 year old kids "committing" to a college is also a joke. A one way commitment that means absolutely positively nothing. Some mediocre 02 from BA "committed" to BC. They made no such "commitment" to him. Parents allowing this nonsense is sad. Anyway, they can absolutely not report you to a credit bureau. And they can't stop you from playing anywhere else.

anon
Isn't it true that if you break your college hockey commitment the college can report you to a credit agency? While you have the right to dispute the claim with the credit bureau, in all likelihood you won't be able to buy a car, rent an apartment or get a student loan to go to graduate school. It stays on your record for seven years.

I would like some clarification on your "one way commitment" - I have never heard of such a thing. Every situation I have ever heard of a college verbal commitment works this way - player is offered during meeting with school and accepts. Therefore is "committed" at that point to that school and the school is "committed" to having a spot for that player. There is no such thing as a one way commitment.

I am sure the writer's spouse would also like clarification of the term 'one way commitment' and whether the writer applies it to his/her marriage as well as college hockey.

Oy veigh!

anon
I would like some clarification on your "one way commitment" - I have never heard of such a thing.

my 5 year old son is committed to going to Harvard.... i tell the world --- oh and Harvard does not know i exist... get it?

just like either side can't back out:

http://deadspin.com/michigan-lost-their-third-recruit-of-the-week-over-a-th-1785668638

beatcuff
anon
I would like some clarification on your "one way commitment" - I have never heard of such a thing.

my 5 year old son is committed to going to Harvard.... i tell the world --- oh and Harvard does not know i exist... get it?

http://deadspin.com/michigan-lost-their-third-recruit-of-the-week-over-a-th-1785668638

Football is different from hockey. Michigan will "commit" to 11 running backs a year. Obviously they won't all go to Michigan as running backs. That doesn't happen to that same extent in hockey.

But hockey recruits "commit" earlier.

Anon
beatcuff
anon

Football is different from hockey. Michigan will "commit" to 11 running backs a year. Obviously they won't all go to Michigan as running backs. That doesn't happen to that same extent in hockey.

But hockey recruits "commit" earlier.

They commit earlier because parents are loosing their minds when Lil Johnny is still uncommitted at 15. They must start doing the math and think holy ****, even if he gets a 4 for 4, I will never break even. By making the commitment it allows them to justify continuing the same pattern. It is like knowing that you're start up is sinking but you still need to go to the investors for another round of funds.

With that being said, as long as the parents are ok with the math and the kids enjoy the journey than money spent is irrelevant.

These posts about "commitments" are quite illuminating and show why this country is heading toward the abyss.

You people are a bunch of scumbags!

Cap is that you?

Something about this story doesn't add up.....

There is no such thing as a verbal commitment in any NCAA sports. It's simply a way for coaches to get the inside track on a player and in many sports, other schools may agree to not recruit each others committed players. Neither side has any recourse.

Anon
Football is different from hockey. Michigan will "commit" to 11 running backs a year. Obviously they won't all go to Michigan as running backs.

that is 'our' point commitments are meaningless AND (if you watched 'Real Sports') you would realize that scholarships are pulled at will --- of the school.

Not true for football and basketball and other full scholarship sports. Once you sign a letter of intent a school can't pull it. They can simply make your life miserable until you give it up.

beatcuff
Anon
Football is different from hockey. Michigan will "commit" to 11 running backs a year. Obviously they won't all go to Michigan as running backs.

that is 'our' point commitments are meaningless AND (if you watched 'Real Sports') you would realize that scholarships are pulled at will --- of the school.
Real Sports did an episode on NCAA hockey. Not football basketball or baseball.

Or was it all lumped together?

Kids are decommitting all the time. I can't recall more than a couple of instances where a college hockey program pulled their verbal back. That may change, because the number of verbals is way up.

It all depends the timing of what your talking about. Commitments are meaningless and they come and go and are pulled all the time. You just don't hear about it as much because no one trumpets on twitter that they are proud and honored to have their offer taken away. Just look at any school, especially when a coaching change occurs. Look at Bu when Quinn came in. Cleared house. Happens all the time but none of these bloggers(reporters) dare report on it because if they do they will get kicked out of the club.

anon
It all depends the timing of what your talking about. Commitments are meaningless and they come and go and are pulled all the time. You just don't hear about it as much because no one trumpets on twitter that they are proud and honored to have their offer taken away. Just look at any school, especially when a coaching change occurs. Look at Bu when Quinn came in. Cleared house. Happens all the time but none of these bloggers(reporters) dare report on it because if they do they will get kicked out of the club.

So this commitment to Union is just as bogus as the one to Princeton? Then why tweet about it?

It's completely legit as long as both sides honor it. And why does anyone tweet anything? For attention of course!

Anon
anon

So this commitment to Union is just as bogus as the one to Princeton? Then why tweet about it?

Well??!!??!!?? Out with it son!

Well flounder if you can read you would have picked up on the point that it's only bogus if one side or both back out. Kind of how the system works.

Oh boy isn't this greeeaaaat!

anon
Well flounder if you can read you would have picked up on the point that it's only bogus if one side or both back out. Kind of how the system works.

Oh boy isn't this greeeaaaat!

When will he start playing for Union? This year?

Or given "how the system works", maybe the better question is when will there be a tweet about the de-commitment?

Even though the public buzz of decommitting is mostly non-existent, it's out there.

Kids have nothing to lose with giving a verbal.

Schools who make the verbal/gentleman's agreement may not have something to lose technically speaking....... but trust me, when coaches/schools start reneging on verbals, word gets around, and it can tarnish that coach's or school's reputation with other upcoming/future recruits, HS coaches, advisors, etc.

Anon
Even though the public buzz of decommitting is mostly non-existent, it's out there.

Kids have nothing to lose with giving a verbal.

Schools who make the verbal/gentleman's agreement may not have something to lose technically speaking....... but trust me, when coaches/schools start reneging on verbals, word gets around, and it can tarnish that coach's or school's reputation with other upcoming/future recruits, HS coaches, advisors, etc.

The last part is so true, the word gets out there.

Because of recent events, Princeton doesn't have enough applicants to fill the Class of 2021, let alone field a hockey team.

NOT!

Your joking right? Coaches do it every day. And you think the kid he wants to bring in says no because his reputation is tarnished? Look at all the kids that get pushed out even after they are enrolled?

Coaches have all the leverage. It's supply and demand. High demand and limited supply puts the seller in control.

Anon

no, this one (below), its a brief clip (not the entire episode) about the stress coaches put their athletes under --- verbally, physically and even simply time wise (how they are able to 'get around' NCAA time limits).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=aBhhexDroII

beatcuff
Anon

no, this one (below), its a brief clip (not the entire episode) about the stress coaches put their athletes under --- verbally, physically and even simply time wise (how they are able to 'get around' NCAA time limits).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=aBhhexDroII

I'm sorry, but what does a negative on campus experience by an obese female African American track athlete have to do that have to do with the verbal commitment process in hockey?

Of course schools use and abuse their athletes. I think we all know that going in. It's the price of admission.

Anon
I'm sorry, but what does a negative on campus experience by an obese female African American track athlete have to do that have to do with the verbal commitment process in hockey?

the clip is 2 minutes of a 20 minute segment (HBO appears to treasure old episodes). other stories in the segment include what the athlete must endure in order to maintain their scholarship --- which can be pulled at anytime.

Anon
Of course schools use and abuse their athletes. I think we all know that going in. It's the price of admission.

wow, i mean WOW. so you approve of physical abuse in return for some scholarship dollars... as also in that segment was that NJ college (basketball) in which the coach physically abused his players --- yes, punched and kicked them: on tape. if that occurred in the street or the home would lead to an arrest.

you seriously do not mean this... or is PSU acceptable as well?

beatcuff
Anon

the clip is 2 minutes of a 20 minute segment (HBO appears to treasure old episodes). other stories in the segment include what the athlete must endure in order to maintain their scholarship --- which can be pulled at anytime.

Anon

wow, i mean WOW. so you approve of physical abuse in return for some scholarship dollars... as also in that segment was that NJ college (basketball) in which the coach physically abused his players --- yes, punched and kicked them: on tape. if that occurred in the street or the home would lead to an arrest.

you seriously do not mean this... or is PSU acceptable as well?
Love it when I see a Beatcuff post, they're always entertaining. But, I give you props for differentiating your anonymity.

Don't twist people's words. In no way, shape or form did I say I "approve" of it. I don't approve of spousal abuse, or child abuse, or drug abuse, or alcohol abuse, either. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't acknowledge that they happen and do what we can to make our kids aware so that they don't fall prey.

Anon
Love it when I see a Beatcuff post, they're always entertaining. But, I give you props for differentiating your anonymity.
thank you. i try to only speak up when i have something to offer. and while i know a lot, i am far from 'all knowing' or perfect.

Anon
Don't twist people's words. In no way, shape or form did I say I "approve" of it. I don't approve of spousal abuse, or child abuse, or drug abuse, or alcohol abuse, either. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't acknowledge that they happen and do what we can to make our kids aware so that they don't fall prey.
i think we all knew what you really meant, thanks for clarifying.

this board (and usually the HS) have, in general, more informative and thoughtful discussions. i go to the kiddie board for entertainment.