email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: breaking a college hockey commitment

Anon
Even though the public buzz of decommitting is mostly non-existent, it's out there.

Kids have nothing to lose with giving a verbal.

Schools who make the verbal/gentleman's agreement may not have something to lose technically speaking....... but trust me, when coaches/schools start reneging on verbals, word gets around, and it can tarnish that coach's or school's reputation with other upcoming/future recruits, HS coaches, advisors, etc.

The last part is so true, the word gets out there.

Because of recent events, Princeton doesn't have enough applicants to fill the Class of 2021, let alone field a hockey team.

NOT!

Your joking right? Coaches do it every day. And you think the kid he wants to bring in says no because his reputation is tarnished? Look at all the kids that get pushed out even after they are enrolled?

Coaches have all the leverage. It's supply and demand. High demand and limited supply puts the seller in control.

Anon
Real Sports did an episode on NCAA hockey. Not football basketball or baseball.

no, this one (below), its a brief clip (not the entire episode) about the stress coaches put their athletes under --- verbally, physically and even simply time wise (how they are able to 'get around' NCAA time limits).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=aBhhexDroII

beatcuff
Anon
Real Sports did an episode on NCAA hockey. Not football basketball or baseball.

no, this one (below), its a brief clip (not the entire episode) about the stress coaches put their athletes under --- verbally, physically and even simply time wise (how they are able to 'get around' NCAA time limits).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=aBhhexDroII

I'm sorry, but what does a negative on campus experience by an obese female African American track athlete have to do that have to do with the verbal commitment process in hockey?

Of course schools use and abuse their athletes. I think we all know that going in. It's the price of admission.

Anon
I'm sorry, but what does a negative on campus experience by an obese female African American track athlete have to do that have to do with the verbal commitment process in hockey?

the clip is 2 minutes of a 20 minute segment (HBO appears to treasure old episodes). other stories in the segment include what the athlete must endure in order to maintain their scholarship --- which can be pulled at anytime.

Anon
Of course schools use and abuse their athletes. I think we all know that going in. It's the price of admission.

wow, i mean WOW. so you approve of physical abuse in return for some scholarship dollars... as also in that segment was that NJ college (basketball) in which the coach physically abused his players --- yes, punched and kicked them: on tape. if that occurred in the street or the home would lead to an arrest.

you seriously do not mean this... or is PSU acceptable as well?

beatcuff
Anon

the clip is 2 minutes of a 20 minute segment (HBO appears to treasure old episodes). other stories in the segment include what the athlete must endure in order to maintain their scholarship --- which can be pulled at anytime.

Anon

wow, i mean WOW. so you approve of physical abuse in return for some scholarship dollars... as also in that segment was that NJ college (basketball) in which the coach physically abused his players --- yes, punched and kicked them: on tape. if that occurred in the street or the home would lead to an arrest.

you seriously do not mean this... or is PSU acceptable as well?
Love it when I see a Beatcuff post, they're always entertaining. But, I give you props for differentiating your anonymity.

Don't twist people's words. In no way, shape or form did I say I "approve" of it. I don't approve of spousal abuse, or child abuse, or drug abuse, or alcohol abuse, either. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't acknowledge that they happen and do what we can to make our kids aware so that they don't fall prey.

Anon
Love it when I see a Beatcuff post, they're always entertaining. But, I give you props for differentiating your anonymity.
thank you. i try to only speak up when i have something to offer. and while i know a lot, i am far from 'all knowing' or perfect.

Anon
Don't twist people's words. In no way, shape or form did I say I "approve" of it. I don't approve of spousal abuse, or child abuse, or drug abuse, or alcohol abuse, either. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't acknowledge that they happen and do what we can to make our kids aware so that they don't fall prey.
i think we all knew what you really meant, thanks for clarifying.

this board (and usually the HS) have, in general, more informative and thoughtful discussions. i go to the kiddie board for entertainment.