email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What is this Club Hockey?

anon
You have to love the guy thinking D-3 is some kind of dream for a kid. It's only for the love of the game and being with their pals is why kids play it.
What's the highest level of athetics you played in your life? Be honest....

anon
This is Club Hockey - The University of Georgia Bulldogs have gone from averaging a few hundred fans a game to now having 300 season ticket holders this season and are averaging close to 1,000 fans a contest since the new rink opened last season. “We've gone from having a handful of fans at a home game in Atlanta to our first home game here with an attendance of over 2,000,”

Hahaha take that "Mr. D-3 Hockey"
Are you the same assclown that thought Providence Hockey Club was the club program from Providence University, and that Matthew Boldy played club hockey?

You really ought to stop posting, you just make yourself look like more of a fool every time.

50% of D-III hockey blows

anon
50% of D-III hockey blows
25 % of D-1 hockey blows
45 % of D-III blows
100% of club hockey blows

Where does that leave NCDC. Only about 1/3 of NCDC players could make a good college club team roster.

Most kiddie teams could only get a third of their kids onto a 'good college club team.'

Club Hockey is the equivalent of all this "Elite" and "AAA" youth hockey that parents paid for so their kids can feel special (mostly the parents). So when these kids/players realize their not "Elite" anymore once reaching high school, club hockey was created to give parents an extra opportunity to keep paying for their kids hockey and feel special :laughing:

Or maybe a kid just likes to play? I have a son who is good, but not sure good enough to play High end D3. He wants to continue playing but the quality of the school is important to him. One option he is looking at his club hockey at a good D1 school.

Lose YOUR ego buddy and if the kid wants to continue to play that’s a great thing. As long as kids are playing at every level and staying out of trouble all is good. It’s a game.

Anon
Or maybe a kid just likes to play? I have a son who is good, but not sure good enough to play High end D3. He wants to continue playing but the quality of the school is important to him. One option he is looking at his club hockey at a good D1 school.

Lose YOUR ego buddy and if the kid wants to continue to play that’s a great thing. As long as kids are playing at every level and staying out of trouble all is good. It’s a game.
And the common denominator is that your still writing the check and still talking about it on the DBoard, just like his youth days. What else are you going to do? Where a jacket with his club hockey team name on it too? don't forget to add "Elite" or "AAA"

Or you could wear that jacket too

I guess he's getting paid for all those hours he is logging on the ice and on the bus at the MIT quality D-3 school and why not, the gate revenue of those 127 friends, family and curious freshmen that show-up to those games must really fund the whole extravagant program. Maybe the kid can steal you one of those Fitchburg State jackets because you know they don't sell them at the campus book store. Do they have a campus book store?

D-3, club, same thing.

anon
I guess he's getting paid for all those hours he is logging on the ice and on the bus at the MIT quality D-3 school and why not, the gate revenue of those 127 friends, family and curious freshmen that show-up to those games must really fund the whole extravagant program. Maybe the kid can steal you one of those Fitchburg State jackets because you know they don't sell them at the campus book store. Do they have a campus book store?

D-3, club, same thing.
Not quite, the kids playing D3 have made a committment

My son plays on the club team for a good Hockey East school. They consistently beat good D3 schools He was last kid cut from varsity his Freshman year, hanging on longer than a few “recruits”. He is still fun to watch, is very good and has a blast. Sorry your kid is pounding natty lights at UMass....

Anon
My son plays on the club team for a good Hockey East school. They consistently beat good D3 schools He was last kid cut from varsity his Freshman year, hanging on longer than a few “recruits”. He is still fun to watch, is very good and has a blast. Sorry your kid is pounding natty lights at UMass....
Club teams don't play D3 Hockey teams? What are you smoking?

Anon
anon

D-3, club, same thing.
Not quite, the kids playing D3 have made a committment
The kids playing D3 have made a commitment? Ahhh to what? To whom? "Yeah coach, I rode the bus for two years in junior hockey, paid my $10k a year for the privilege to do so and now I'm pleased to represent this fine academic institution of Backwater State University to play in front of our loyal parents and fellow Hockey-house party mates and I will give you a couple more years here until I figure-out this is a total waste of time or I flunk-out at the tender age of 23 or 24..."

Go watch a typical d-3 game and you tell me, how hard is it for a kid to make a d-3 team? Pretty much high school 2.0

anon
Go watch a typical d-3 game and you tell me, how hard is it for a kid to make a d-3 team? Pretty much high school 2.0
it really must bother you that your kid couldn't make a D3 roster, time to move on and enjoy your kids last years of youth hockey, woops, I mean club hockey.

If the guy's kid couldn't make a D3 roster who knows if he will even play club at most universities. Sounds like intramural hockey to me! That's the one where they let girls play on boys teams, right?

anon
Love it. Clueless dads that show their ignorance. Means fewer kids competing for those D-III spots that are way tougher than any of you apparently realize.

? Just because your kid is a bubble player between D-3 and Club hockey doesn't mean the other guy is clueless. He has a point though.

The D-3 dad just doesn't stop. He thinks it's the last stop before the NHL.

I would be careful bashing New England D3 hockey. Search a few rosters of some NESCAC schools, Babson, Norwich, St. Anselm etc. and check the hockey pedigree of the players. No one goes from an MIAA school to D3. It is extremely difficult to play D3 hockey. It takes a strong prep school performance and then a year in juniors, maybe two. Hardly "high school 2.0." That is an ignorant statement. The pool of talent the coaches can draw from extends way beyond the borders of the Northeast. Many more kids are playing hockey across the country.

Rhode Island is the only club team to play D3 teams - not sure they still do. Arizona State did before full time commitment to D1.

Middlebury has 2 players direct from MIAA - CM and SJP.

Anon
Middlebury has 2 players direct from MIAA - CM and SJP.
True and BCH sent one to St A's. These are exceptions to the rule and these kids are top players from D1 hs teams who will not play much the first two years and are the exception. Point is D3 college hockey is mostly very good. Some club hockey is very good. Either way, lets keep it real.

"No one goes from an MIAA school to D3" isn't that they couldn't, it's because the coaches can select 18 year old boys or 20 year old men. The system is screwed up.

The bigger question is for many kids is would they rather go and play club immediately after h.s. or spend two years chasing the D-1 dream only to end up on a D-3 team which isn't a whole lot different in most cases. Still think they should put an age limit on D-3 hockey and it would do away with all of this stupidity of a year of P.G. and a year of juniors (so now you're $50k into it) just to make it to college and play for free in front of a couple hundred people in some old barn. Beleive me, college coaches would be all over the h.s. games if they had an upper age limit of 22 or 22.5 for players.

Anon
"No one goes from an MIAA school to D3" isn't that they couldn't, it's because the coaches can select 18 year old boys or 20 year old men. The system is screwed up.

The bigger question is for many kids is would they rather go and play club immediately after h.s. or spend two years chasing the D-1 dream only to end up on a D-3 team which isn't a whole lot different in most cases. Still think they should put an age limit on D-3 hockey and it would do away with all of this stupidity of a year of P.G. and a year of juniors (so now you're $50k into it) just to make it to college and play for free in front of a couple hundred people in some old barn. Beleive me, college coaches would be all over the h.s. games if they had an upper age limit of 22 or 22.5 for players.
Huge difference between D3 hockey and club, except of club teams like URI and Liberty. Which BTW, the Liberty club Hockey team is loaded is over-agers from the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, and WHL)

Top end club is not a whole lot different than D3 except the top 10-12 D-3 teams. It's pretty much a wash. When you see aged out kids, kids from the USHL and NAHL and other junior leagues playing club all over the country you would get it.

anon
Top end club is not a whole lot different than D3 except the top 10-12 D-3 teams. It's pretty much a wash. When you see aged out kids, kids from the USHL and NAHL and other junior leagues playing club all over the country you would get it.
Name three players from the USHL playing Club??? Your an idiot, sorry your kid couldn't play NCAA Hockey

" Your an idiot " pretty much sums this guy up in three words. Congrats.

Anon
Anon
\"No one goes from an MIAA school to D3\" isn\'t that they couldn\'t, it\'s because the coaches can select 18 year old boys or 20 year old men. The system is screwed up.

The bigger question is for many kids is would they rather go and play club immediately after h.s. or spend two years chasing the D-1 dream only to end up on a D-3 team which isn\'t a whole lot different in most cases. Still think they should put an age limit on D-3 hockey and it would do away with all of this stupidity of a year of P.G. and a year of juniors (so now you\'re \$50k into it) just to make it to college and play for free in front of a couple hundred people in some old barn. Beleive me, college coaches would be all over the h.s. games if they had an upper age limit of 22 or 22.5 for players.
Huge difference between D3 hockey and club, except of club teams like URI and Liberty. Which BTW, the Liberty club Hockey team is loaded is over-agers from the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, and WHL)
Totally agree. NCAA D3 hockey is exponentially better. For the record most club is like men's league hockey. Each team has a couple kids who can play and then a huge crowd of yahoos, drinkers and goons. It's great for some kids, not sure why this poster keeps coming back to belittle kids playing real college hockey.

Just enjoy it.

real college hockey = 10-12 D-3 programs and D-1

Can you please list the 10-12 D3 programs you would consider "real" college hockey? Hopefully some of them are right here in New England....

I will take a stab at it:

Amherst
Williams
Middlebury
Norwich
Bowdoin
Babson
Trinity
Umass Boston
Salve
Nichols

Mix of perennials and recently nationally ranked teams.

Current schools receiving votes, as compiled by D3hockey.com

# School (1st votes) Rec Pts Prev.
1 St. Norbert (18) 1-0 298 1
2 Adrian (2) 2-0 277 3
3 SUNY Geneseo 2-0 251 5
4 UW-Stevens Point 1-0-1 234 2
5 Hobart 2-0 220 7
6 Salve Regina 0-0 204 4
7 Trinity 0-0 156 8
8 Utica 0-2 148 6
9 University of NE 0-0 146 9
10 Oswego State 0-0 130 10
11 Augsburg 2-0 94 11
12 Norwich 0-0-1 54 12
13 Nichols 0-0 32 15
14 UW-Eau Claire 2-0 31 NR
15 Colby 0-0 29 13

Dropped out: Marian (14)

Others receiving votes: Marian 25, St. Thomas 25, UMass Boston 21, Endicott 14, Babson 6. Plymouth State 5

The D3hockey.com Top 15 is voted on by a panel of 20 coaches, Sports Information Directors and media members from across the country, and is published weekly.

What about all of the strong DIII programs in the Minnesota / Wisconson area, as well as a few others like Plattsburg in New York.

There are 80 D3 programs. The top 1/2 are very good. Those outside it are good and an achievement in of itself to varying degrees. Good for all the student athletes who achieve this

Go to the D-1 Club Nationals and say it's a Mens League