Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 8% True Freshmen in D-I

Wow, if your stupid that disqualifies you from claiming your being bullied. Major Junior has nothig to do with NCAA. If you choose Major Junior, you are making a conscious decision to not play college hockey. It all but disqualifies you from NCAA unless your willing to pay a significant price. So the system your keep referring to cannot by definition include Canadian Junior.

Yes the CHA has a long standing position in Canadian hockey. It's a much bigger and much more lucritive than the USHL. But so what? Has nothing to do with this topic.

Thanks for joining the discussion though.

" Major Junior has nothig (sic) to do with NCAA "

I'll go slower for you. See the hockey farm system has a long history and very deep roots. Most adults in the room will say these deep roots can be trace back to their origins to.....Canada! And you will see there is money involved in this farm system both in Canada and....(drum roll please) The US of A !!!! See this old system, for those of you new to this sport, was built many years ago and really despite the Canadian Major Juniors' leagues insisting they support college educations by giving their players 'free tuition' to Canadian schools they really don't care. Check out how much it costs for a Canadian to go to college and check out how many players take the leagues up on their offer and you'll see it's not a big percentage. So you see this is the farm system for pro hockey, show-up, stay until you're 20, fill the stands, and either turn pro or a college will take you.

Guess what developed in the US of A? No really, guess. Another drum roll! A system that is well funded for Tier 1 Juniors of "Show-up, stay until you're 20, fill the stands, and either turn pro or a college will take you."

Now the challenged in the room will say, "Hold on a minute! But they're Canucks and I'm a God Fearing, MAGA hat wearing, US Vet, stand for the national anthem American GOT-Darn-IT!!! How on earth did all this happen in my country?" Welllllll, look to the north, look to history, look to where the bread is getting buttered, look who helps to fund this well developed farm system and then ask yourself - Does Major Junior has nothig (sic) to do with the NCAA?

O.K., you're dismissed.

anon

I'll go slower for you. See the hockey farm system has a long history and very deep roots. Most adults in the room will say these deep roots can be trace back to their origins to.....Canada! And you will see there is money involved in this farm system both in Canada and....(drum roll please) The US of A !!!! See this old system, for those of you new to this sport, was built many years ago and really despite the Canadian Major Juniors' leagues insisting they support college educations by giving their players 'free tuition' to Canadian schools they really don't care. Check out how much it costs for a Canadian to go to college and check out how many players take the leagues up on their offer and you'll see it's not a big percentage. So you see this is the farm system for pro hockey, show-up, stay until you're 20, fill the stands, and either turn pro or a college will take you.

Guess what developed in the US of A? No really, guess. Another drum roll! A system that is well funded for Tier 1 Juniors of "Show-up, stay until you're 20, fill the stands, and either turn pro or a college will take you."

Now the challenged in the room will say, "Hold on a minute! But they're Canucks and I'm a God Fearing, MAGA hat wearing, US Vet, stand for the national anthem American GOT-Darn-IT!!! How on earth did all this happen in my country?" Welllllll, look to the north, look to history, look to where the bread is getting buttered, look who helps to fund this well developed farm system and then ask yourself - Does Major Junior has nothig (sic) to do with the NCAA?

O.K., you're dismissed.
At the end of the day, your kid wasn't good enough to play D1, so please stop wasting everyone's time and stop whining, go back to the kiddie board. This is a college thread, not wannabe college thread.

It's the NCAA. They exist to support colleges, not student athletes. They don't care about your kid. They will never change or implement a rule simply because it's in the best interest of the students.

They are a business that is about growing revenues for themselves and their members. If they could drop all sports but football and basketball they would but they can't. The other sports help with the smokescreen that they are really about amateur collegiate athletics and it keeps them clear of Title IX lawsuits.

They count and a transient workforce that is in their system for short periods of time and so the interest of unionizing and collective bargaining never gets any traction. See Northwestern football lawsuit. Whenever anything gets any traction they throw some crumbs to the workers (stipends) to silence them and then they are gone. The trouble-makers graduate and move on. A new workforce comes in and any movement has to start all over again.

Hockey is very costly but important to the schools who have a history with it. Some schools attract enough attendance to make some money but many do not. They make money on alumni. When alumni come back to campus with checkbooks in hand there needs to be things going on. Athletics are part of it. It’s well documented that small schools that dropped football to save money lost even more because alumni stopped coming back to campus. Hockey in many of these schools has a trickle down because students (full paying non athletes) want to go to schools with things going on. Drop sports and overall the school becomes less attractive to the general student body that pays the bills.

So to maximize revenue (direct and indirect) they need a product that is interesting. They set out on a path to make NCAA a feeder for NHL. Come sure future NHL players is the draw. So to pull kids from other leagues namely the CHL, they exploit the age limit issue of the CHL. The appeal if give yourself more time to develop. Why age out at 20 and have to turn pro if you not ready. They are also going hard after Euro’s. 35% of D1 players are now imports.

So the system is working and working beautifully for what it’s focused on achieving. NCAA players in the NHL is at an all time high and growing. They are televising more NCAA games in Canada. CHL is reeling a bit from labor lawsuits, tax schemes from owners, sketchy promises of tuition payments etc. So if you’re a parent of a Canadian kid who used to think CHL was the only path to the NHL, it’s no longer the case.

So the system isn’t going to change. It’s working well for those that its designed to work for. Your kid is not the priority. You work the system as best you can or tap out. If you tap out, there is another to take your place.

anon

O.K., you're dismissed.
WTF are you babbling about? We know the origins of junior hockey. The topic is how things work today with respect to the path to ncaa hockey. Put the bottle down and try to keep up.

anon

O.K., you're dismissed.
I like stories!

Looks like the idiot bully got owned. Major Junior has nothig ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :kissing_smiling_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

True that. The newer question is with so many kids getting just partial scholarship, why would a Canadian kid even choose to come to the states (unless it was a top 20 or so U.S. school) to pay what could be $2,000 - $6,000 per year in Canada?

anon
Looks like the idiot bully got owned. Major Junior has nothig ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :kissing_smiling_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue:
If you play OHL/QMJHL you cant play NCAA though.

anon
Sorry wingnut but I wrote that post. You can't seem to keep up with the conversation. The first is on how the NCAA/Junior Hockey system in the US is forcing 21 year old freshmen and propping up USHL. CHL has nothing to do with it.

Now the NCAA in its goal to be the leading path to NHL. That path is to pull in elite players from Canada and Europe/Russia. Still has nothing to do with CHL other than they want kids to choose NCAA over that.

Now tell us another story about the culture of junior hockey in Canada please!!!!

Dude, put down the keyboard. We've all had enough of you being able to type but unable to read.

you forgot your witty emoji's

anon
you forgot your witty emoji's
:stuck_out_tongue: :cat:
:banana: :melon: :melon:

If you capped the age of incoming hockey freshman at a one year gap post graduate all that would happen is the junior leagues would go younger. Instead of heading off to the USHL at 18 or 19 you would see players heading off to the league at 16 and 17. It is hard for a kid that age to live away from home. I'd prefer they be 18 when they do it. Play hockey, take a college credit class or two while you do it, and take some time to mature. Truth is, hockey or not, I'm not sure I want to send a kid straight to college right out of high school these days anyway. Look at the first year college drop out rate. A kid will be much more prepared, hockey or not, after spending a year or two in juniors.

Anon
If you capped the age of incoming hockey freshman at a one year gap post graduate all that would happen is the junior leagues would go younger. Instead of heading off to the USHL at 18 or 19 you would see players heading off to the league at 16 and 17. It is hard for a kid that age to live away from home. I'd prefer they be 18 when they do it. Play hockey, take a college credit class or two while you do it, and take some time to mature. Truth is, hockey or not, I'm not sure I want to send a kid straight to college right out of high school these days anyway. Look at the first year college drop out rate. A kid will be much more prepared, hockey or not, after spending a year or two in juniors.
My kid was 17 went he headed to the USHl, 19 when he started at his Hockey East School. All of you are forgetting why college hockey/Juniors is set up this way in the first place? It makes College Hockey relevant to the NHL, the NHL has a hard on for NCAA players nowadays, because of their maturity, skill set, and knowing how to play a defensive game (something you don't see in the CHL). Remember, back before the 90's, College Hockey as mostly irrelevant, because most of these guys went from Prep/HS right to D1 hockey, and the vast majority of them weren't making it to the NHL. Look at the Olympic team from 1980, at most, the guys who made it to the NHL, they were only there for a cup of coffee. The current system give NCAA players a better chance to making it to the NHL. If that doesn't float your boat, then have your kid play club, there are plenty of them

Anon
Anon
If you capped the age of incoming hockey freshman at a one year gap post graduate all that would happen is the junior leagues would go younger. Instead of heading off to the USHL at 18 or 19 you would see players heading off to the league at 16 and 17. It is hard for a kid that age to live away from home. I\\\'d prefer they be 18 when they do it. Play hockey, take a college credit class or two while you do it, and take some time to mature. Truth is, hockey or not, I\\\'m not sure I want to send a kid straight to college right out of high school these days anyway. Look at the first year college drop out rate. A kid will be much more prepared, hockey or not, after spending a year or two in juniors.
My kid was 17 went he headed to the USHl, 19 when he started at his Hockey East School. All of you are forgetting why college hockey/Juniors is set up this way in the first place? It makes College Hockey relevant to the NHL, the NHL has a hard on for NCAA players nowadays, because of their maturity, skill set, and knowing how to play a defensive game (something you don\'t see in the CHL). Remember, back before the 90\'s, College Hockey as mostly irrelevant, because most of these guys went from Prep/HS right to D1 hockey, and the vast majority of them weren\'t making it to the NHL. Look at the Olympic team from 1980, at most, the guys who made it to the NHL, they were only there for a cup of coffee. The current system give NCAA players a better chance to making it to the NHL. If that doesn\'t float your boat, then have your kid play club, there are plenty of them
Gee it makes college hockey relevant to the NHL? Gee we didn’t know that. I guess we forgot even though it was said a number of times.

All the hopes and dreams of college hockey within one year of graduating HS is never going to happen.

www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/4569903-unds-recent-commits-give-window-recruiting-strategy