Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: O’Brien has entered the NCAA transfer portal

anon
Anon
anon
Penticton Vees in the BCHL? Must have some Philly connection.
Why is that? The Vees are one of the stronger teams in the BCHL, which is the highest amateur league in Canada.
CHL is the highest junior leage in Canada. BCHL is Junior A and not close to CHL.
CHL isn't amateur. You must be the same guy that said last week that NCAA teams were sending players to the WHL for a couple of years.

Thanks for playing.

Didn't say amateur. Said junior. Reading comprehension is fun. Try it sometime.

anon
Didn't say amateur. Said junior. Reading comprehension is fun. Try it sometime.
No, but I did. Right back at you.

And, the level of play in the CHL is irrelevant to the discussion. If he is entering the portal, it's pretty clear he still wants to play NCAA.

But, I'm sure his contract will give him an "out" if he changes his mind and decides to go major junior come August.

Amateur league so no contract “out” needed but I’m sure you knew that.

Anon
Amateur league so no contract “out” needed but I’m sure you knew that.
Maybe you know something I don't? Players in junior still have a contract (after all, mites have a contract) that restrict the player's ability to choose to play for another team. But, they also generally include an "out" if an opportunity to play at the next higher level comes along (NAHL to USHL, Tier III/Junior B to NAHL/Junior A).

Is your experience different?

There is a reason I guess that the local Hockey East coaches send their kids out to the USHL for a year to get ready for college hockey. Not sure why he wouldn't do it now, oh yeah, there must be a Flyers connection.

anon
There is a reason I guess that the local Hockey East coaches send their kids out to the USHL for a year to get ready for college hockey. Not sure why he wouldn't do it now, oh yeah, there must be a Flyers connection.
Nice theory, any facts to support it?

Here's a fact. The Youngstown Phantoms own his USHL rights. Maybe his Youngstown experiences weren't positive? Maybe living in Youngstown sucks?

Here's a fact. O'Brien was suspended by Providence for "violating team rules." Maybe the environment in Penticton is seen as providing more structure?

Here's a fact. The Vees' coach has been there for twelve years. In that time, they have won four BCHL Regular Season championships, five BCHL Interior Division championships, four BCHL Fred Page Cup championships, a Doyle Cup championship, a Western Canada Cup championship and an RBC Cup national championship.

But, let's go with the Flyers connection.

Anon
anon
There is a reason I guess that the local Hockey East coaches send their kids out to the USHL for a year to get ready for college hockey. Not sure why he wouldn\'t do it now, oh yeah, there must be a Flyers connection.

Here's a fact. The Youngstown Phantoms own his USHL rights. Maybe his Youngstown experiences weren't positive? Maybe living in Youngstown sucks?

Here's a fact. O'Brien was suspended by Providence for "violating team rules." Maybe the environment in Penticton is seen as providing more structure?

Here's a fact. The Vees' coach has been there for twelve years. In that time, they have won four BCHL Regular Season championships, five BCHL Interior Division championships, four BCHL Fred Page Cup championships, a Doyle Cup championship, a Western Canada Cup championship and an RBC Cup national championship.

"Violating Team Rules" is a massive red flag to me. A freshman coming into a National title contending team and you violate team rules? Oooooooof.

Anon
anon
There is a reason I guess that the local Hockey East coaches send their kids out to the USHL for a year to get ready for college hockey. Not sure why he wouldn\'t do it now, oh yeah, there must be a Flyers connection.

Who cares how good the BCHL team is, it's not the point, BCHL won't get him ready for College hockey, as defense is non existed in that league

Best team, lesser league, over-ager? I guess playing elite competition was not one of the decision criteria.

anon
Best team, lesser league, over-ager? I guess playing elite competition was not one of the decision criteria.
Apparently

Good luck to him

anon
Anon
anon
Penticton Vees in the BCHL? Must have some Philly connection.
Why is that? The Vees are one of the stronger teams in the BCHL, which is the highest amateur league in Canada.
CHL is the highest junior leage in Canada. BCHL is Junior A and not close to CHL.
CHL is comprised of three, so-called, major junior leagues: WHL, OHL and QMJHL...

He'll probably end up at Curry playing with Wise in a year.