Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Boston University lands Jay O’Brien

In today's world the players don't have to 'get used to it.' Like the bullying high school coaches who learned bullying from their high school coaches and then they complain when the kid packs up his gear and goes to some full season team.

Personally, if I grew-up in the Boston metro area, why would I go to PC? Not a great school, bad attitude from the staff (if you're right) will thin the ranks of recruits, no Beanpot. . . who needs it? And BC is slowly dissolving into an also-ran program, Northeastern is nice but facilities at BU are much nicer. And my guess is the Flyers pretty much steer the boat on these choices. Good luck to the kid.

What's the deal with "...season that also saw him suspended for off-ice issues." Academics or other?

anon
In today's world the players don't have to 'get used to it.' Like the bullying high school coaches who learned bullying from their high school coaches and then they complain when the kid packs up his gear and goes to some full season team.

Personally, if I grew-up in the Boston metro area, why would I go to PC? Not a great school, bad attitude from the staff (if you're right) will thin the ranks of recruits, no Beanpot. . . who needs it? And BC is slowly dissolving into an also-ran program, Northeastern is nice but facilities at BU are much nicer. And my guess is the Flyers pretty much steer the boat on these choices. Good luck to the kid.

What's the deal with "...season that also saw him suspended for off-ice issues." Academics or other?
PC is one of the premier programs in the country, 6 straight NCAA appearances, I'm glad the coach stuck to his guns and didn't let the kid get away with stuff. There is a reason why that program is successful.

Yup. Look at the D3 Babson roster. Prep kid Frosh kids did nothing compared to the Junior kids...and that is D3

Honestly, did you look at the stats.?. one of the top producers at Babson was a 99 who played high school hockey 2 years ago. Just goes to show cream always rises!

anon

Boston University lands Jay O’Brien
By Jeff Cox

Former Thayer Academy star center Jay O'Brien will play for Boston University, starting with the 2020-21 season. The Hingham, Mass., native and 2018 first round pick of the Philadelphia Flyers will play the 2019-20 season with the Penticton Vees in the BCHL.

O'Brien left Providence College following an injury-riddled season that also saw him suspended for off-ice issues as well as not fitting into the Friars' system. He had just two goals and three assists in 25 games for Nate Leaman's team.

O'Brien put up gaudy numbers for Thayer before being selected by the Flyers with the 19th overall pick in the 2018 draft. Things didn't work out for O'Brien with the Friars, but a fresh start at BU could be just what the doctor ordered. He'll likely gain some confidence following a season as an overage player in the BCHL.
"He'll likely gain some confidence following a season as an overage player in the BCH." LOL. Overaged 1st round draft pick playing against 16 year olds. It's prep school all over again. Kid got booted from Dexter for cheating so it's likely his "off-ice issues" weren't just team related.

Kid/Family/Advisor all screwed up by not having him play a year or two of juniors before going to PC...

Anon
Kid/Family/Advisor all screwed up by not having him play a year or two of juniors before going to PC...
yes they did, oh wait first round draft pick, if that's 'screwed up'...

and anyone seriously think that the Flyers are not heavily involved in the route he is choosing?

just saying
Anon
yes they did, oh wait first round draft pick, if that's 'screwed up'...

and anyone seriously think that the Flyers are not heavily involved in the route he is choosing?
You can be a 1st round draft pick and still have "screwed up." No guarantees, even for 1sr rounders, and the difference between a 1st rounder that makes The Show and one that doesn't is millions. Even in their ELC.

Maybe the Flyers and JOB come here to the Dboard to see what we think he should do and take that into consideration?

You mean play prep hockey against 15 year olds doesn't get you well prepared to play college hockey against 25 year olds? Hmmm, who would have thought? :upside_down_face: